Nintendo should put Online Play on Vitrual Console games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

With PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 getting re-releases of games like Soul Calibur, Street Fighter 2, Golden Axe, Samurai Shodown, Mortal Kombat, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Xmen and the like. You'd think Nintendo would have to brains to realize that a game like Advance Wars would benefit for having Online Play.

However Nintendo not only decided to release GBA titles on the WiiU instead of the 3DS (or better Both), they had declared that GBA games would not have Online play so a game that is strictly built for Mulitplayer such as Advance Wars will only be restricted to local multiplayer, which consists of Passing the Controller to one another in order to play a full game.

I feel that this is a complete missed opportunity from Nintendo to build a strong stable Online community that they really should be building.

I've already heard of the excuse that the GBA didn't have a online option so why should this port have it.

Well that Dungeons and Dragons game didn't have online in the arcades, but it got it. Re-Released games like Golden Axe or King of Fighters on the Xbox 360 got Online. So why shouldn't we have the option for these Virtual console games?

These (Virtual Console) games now have Save States and Manuals in the game unlike their GBA counter parts, so why couldn't there have been a connect to online function in the Virtual Console Emulator?

It would greatly benefit the evolution of Classic Games played on Systems like WiiU and probably would encourage publishers to put their games on Systems with this kind of connectivity.

Imagine playing a game like Gunstar Heroes or Final Fight as they were in the SNES and Genesis days only now you have the ability to play with other people ONLINE and through the use of Nintendo's Virtual Console Emulator. (or Sony or Mircosoft's versions when the get to that.)

Instead we are left with the local multiplayer which is fine and dandy, but the WiiU is supposed to be centered around the Miiverse community and to me I feel that an Online Advance Wars would only have HELPED the Miiverse community and of course Online Virtual Console Multiplayer to games that need it like Street Fighter 2 would greatly benefit the entirety of the system too and it would have give some Publishers a sense that there is a community on Nintendo and would be more likely to start to give them confidence and put more games on the System. But Reality isn't what my Wishful thinking is and Nintendo keeps being Nintendo and won't do such things and will only put Online on games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, instead of games like Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land and of course Advance Wars.

Do you think Adding Online to Advance Wars (VC) or just Online to the Virtual Console itself would greatly benefit Nintendo and help better the sales for WiiU or do you think that idea is just stupid and we should just go back to enjoying what Sony and Microsoft has to offer?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nintendo should do a lot of things, and many of those years ago.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't know if the Wii U would necessarily need this, and Nintendo has much bigger issues to tackle with the Wii U and its online structure, although that would be pretty cool for some virtual console games.

Also how successful and active have the online communities for games like Golden Axe and King of Fighters been in comparison to those of modern games? I ask just for some context of how potentially beneficial adding online for retro games could be for Nintendo or in general.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Well, considering Capcom managed to get an online version of a SNES SF II up, I don't see why Nintendo should avoid it for VC games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

They need to put much more games on the VC first

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#6 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Agreed.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I already do play Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 1-3, Street Fighter 2, and the like online... for Xbox 360. What you're asking for is Nintendo to go beyond the bare minimum, and I think we all know that isn't happening.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

They have yet to sort it out in their main games so I can't see them bothering. You will just hear excuses about multiplayer being better locally in the living room like they are mutually exclusive.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

YES!!! I can only imagine how incredibly fun Kirby's Dream Course would be with online play. HAVE YOU PLAYED THE MULTIPLAYER!?! That game SCREAMS for Online play

But knowing them, they're to dimwitted to do it.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

I'll never understand why I post to Nintendo Life.

Topic: Advance Wars should have had Online.

I ask the same question I gave here and I get the responses of "No one would be playing it." or "It can't be done because it's a port." or "IT'S MEANT FOR LOCAL MULITPLAYER!" and worst of all they tell me to go get Advance Wars Days of Ruin for the DS because it has online........online that will be DEAD on May 20th. I point that out and they just tell me "Welp better get to it then!"

Complete fanboyism. Nintendo can do no wrong on that site. Though there are some people there that see to reason. Some even tell me that Nintendo should have probably made a completely new Advance Wars for WiiU with Online play and I think that would be fine, but to say there wouldn't be a community or no one would play the game just seems entirely stupid. Especially the guy who said that "they didn't have the patience to wait for an invisible stranger to make his or her moves" like seriously why would they even play the game then or any Turn Base Strategy Game?

This is the current state of Nintendo's fanbase.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo should release more games on Virtual Console first.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LegatoSkyheart

@charizard1605 said:

still wondering why they haven't merged the two stores yet.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Nintendo should put online play in a lot of their games.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#15 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It'd be awesome, but I don't expect it.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

this...

they could have made the most epic console of all time.

but...i think they dont want to shoot their load in 1 gen.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#18 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I'll never understand why I post to Nintendo Life.

Topic: Advance Wars should have had Online.

I ask the same question I gave here and I get the responses of "No one would be playing it." or "It can't be done because it's a port." or "IT'S MEANT FOR LOCAL MULITPLAYER!" and worst of all they tell me to go get Advance Wars Days of Ruin for the DS because it has online........online that will be DEAD on May 20th. I point that out and they just tell me "Welp better get to it then!"

Complete fanboyism. Nintendo can do no wrong on that site. Though there are some people there that see to reason. Some even tell me that Nintendo should have probably made a completely new Advance Wars for WiiU with Online play and I think that would be fine, but to say there wouldn't be a community or no one would play the game just seems entirely stupid. Especially the guy who said that "they didn't have the patience to wait for an invisible stranger to make his or her moves" like seriously why would they even play the game then or any Turn Base Strategy Game?

This is the current state of Nintendo's fanbase.

Just goes to show you that fanboyism blows. There's no reason for there not to be an online mode when other re-releases do it all the time. I understand that online MP doesn't need to be in every game, but, in this case, it should be in it.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@charizard1605 said:

That's an easy one, it's because it's Nintendo and merging the VC line up makes too much sense.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LegatoSkyheart

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@charizard1605 said:

That's an easy one, it's because it's Nintendo and merging the VC line up makes too much sense.

Yeah, Nintendo and Sense doesn't mix well.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Nintendo doesn't even have a master account system to save consumers purchases, and you expect them to do this?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Bingo

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegatoSkyheart

@JangoWuzHere said:

Nintendo doesn't even have a master account system to save consumers purchases, and you expect them to do this?

That really shouldn't have been an issue for something like Adding online to a game that didn't before.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

That would require effort, and probably a $15 price increase.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Nintendo will stick to their current stubborn ways because fanboys (like some in this forum) continue to support them regardless of what decisions they make. IF the Wii sold worse than the XB360 & PS3.. Nintendo would be focusing more on online gameplay. But as it stands.. we have a system that harkens back to the 1980's.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

^This..
& yea they need to start to embrace online multiplay...not saying every game needs to have it tho. :P