Nintendo's Newest Wii U Ad: 'Wii U Is An All New Console!'

  • 88 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

It's actually a good ad, but it's, like, a year too late.

Also, it's very funny how explicitly Nintendo has to spell this out to clear the brand confusion. They fucked up big time here.

EDIT: Fuck you Glitchspot.

Here's a link to the video, because Gamespot is clearly affronted by my existence.

#2 Edited by SolidTy (43331 posts) -

90% of my posts don't work anymore at this site, I'm surprised if this goes through.

Your OP lacks content and is blank on my end after two sentences, fyi.

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (40611 posts) -

Yeah, no vid.

GS is glitching out, I guess. Ha! Just like old times. They're bringing back the old design.

#4 Posted by Desmonic (14104 posts) -

Looks like Glitchspot made triumphant return! lulz

#5 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8740 posts) -

Char, this fail further solidifies the fact that you're the human equivalent of the Wii U.

#6 Edited by bbkkristian (14953 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity: be quiet, OUYA.

#7 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6802 posts) -

That U should have been a 2.

#8 Edited by Xaero_Gravity (8740 posts) -

@bbkkristian:

Sorry, Gizmondo.

#9 Posted by nini200 (9802 posts) -

Lol the irony behind this

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

90% of my posts don't work anymore at this site, I'm surprised if this goes through.

Your OP lacks content and is blank on my end after two sentences, fyi.

@freedomfreak said:

Yeah, no vid.

GS is glitching out, I guess. Ha! Just like old times. They're bringing back the old design.

@Desmonic said:

Looks like Glitchspot made triumphant return! lulz

@Shottayouth13- said:

That U should have been a 2.

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Char, this fail further solidifies the fact that you're the human equivalent of the Wii U.

@nini200 said:

Lol the irony behind this

I put in the link, let me know if it works.

#11 Edited by nini200 (9802 posts) -

IT WORKS!!! Char you are LEGEND!!!

If they would have had that as the original trailer, less confusion would have happened. There still would have been confusion though seeing as how they didn't show the console at e3 but it would have been alot less confusion.

#12 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8740 posts) -

Damn, they had to try so hard with that ad. Seems like the brand confusion is worse than I thought.

#13 Edited by drummerdave9099 (715 posts) -

It's a shame something like this couldn't have existed and been put on tv and internet ads back when the WiiU first launched, Nintendo really messed up with the marketing.

@Shottayouth13- said:

That U should have been a 2.

AND THIS

#14 Edited by farrell2k (6122 posts) -

They should have called this console the Nintendo Revolution.

#15 Edited by KBFloYd (13672 posts) -

walmart is trying to hype wiiU as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ1ttgstb24

#16 Posted by hiphops_savior (7913 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity: To be fair, it's pretty damn hard to market something that you have to experience in person.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

@Xaero_Gravity: To be fair, it's pretty damn hard to market something that you have to experience in person.

No it's not, they just did it.

#18 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

So is this an actual commercial? Or did they only just upload it to their YT channel?

#19 Edited by DocSanchez (1604 posts) -

Is it just me or did they fumble about so much they even failed to make it clear it's a new console? They called it a new technology. Well so was the mega cd.

Although I do think the name problem has been heavily overstated. People largely know it's a new console: they just don't want one.

#20 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

This is embarrassing. I like how they emphasis that's in a new Wii console with new technology.

#21 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6030 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

That U should have been a 2.

They missed an awesome marketing/logo opportunity of using the Roman numeral "II" in place of the"ii" in Wii.

As for the advertisement, as the old saying goes, better late than never. I think the Wii-U will still do fine but Nintendo really needs to stop fucking their launches/launch windows. Two botched launches in a row (3DS and Wii-U) is not a good trend.

#22 Posted by silversix_ (14618 posts) -

This is as painful to watch as VGX. Atrociousness at best...

#23 Posted by trugs26 (5498 posts) -

Lol that's good. Would've been good if they could make it into a 30 second video to play on TV, but oh well. I love the ending, "just look for the U on the box!" :P

#24 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

These morons should've done this over a year ago.

#25 Posted by ActicEdge (24473 posts) -

If only they could go back in time and rename their console and like, up the specs while they were at it. This wouldn't even be necessary,

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

@Trail_Mix said:

So is this an actual commercial? Or did they only just upload it to their YT channel?

Right now it's a web only ad, but I assume they'll cut it down to TV length too- that's what they did with their 'This is not DS, it's Nintendo 3DS' ads

@DocSanchez said:

Is it just me or did they fumble about so much they even failed to make it clear it's a new console? They called it a new technology. Well so was the mega cd.

Although I do think the name problem has been heavily overstated. People largely know it's a new console: they just don't want one.

Nah, the video makes it very clear it's a new console.

I do, however, think you touch upon a really important point- that being that, outside of a very core, niche dedicated fanbase, the Wii U (much like the Vita) appears to be a product that is fundamentally unappealing to the market.

#27 Posted by resevl4rlz (3278 posts) -

thank god they stopped calling it an damn upgrade

#28 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

Super Wii

Seriously why the fuck not? Is it because they didn't want fans to predict the name? cuz Nintendo is dumb? who knows.

This ad makes it seem like Nintendo thought their first year would be awesome based off Wii sales. Now that the competition is about to overtake the market, NOW they advertise...

ugh, so stupid.

i'm still a Nintendo fan for life though. :D

#29 Posted by Ghost120x (3896 posts) -

Not bad, I guess. It's a little late, but it's never too late.

#30 Posted by wasted_wlsdom (147 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

90% of my posts don't work anymore at this site, I'm surprised if this goes through.

Your OP lacks content and is blank on my end after two sentences, fyi.

LMAO that's because that's how his post really was.

#31 Posted by Vaasman (11427 posts) -

Check out our 3 worthwhile games!

#32 Posted by M8ingSeezun (2003 posts) -

Well it's about damn Time. Better late than Never.

#33 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8957 posts) -

They should have had an add like this a lot earlier. It even talked about Miiverse which I feel they should have put far more emphasis on. That feature should resonate with a vast audience.

#34 Posted by Zassimick (6549 posts) -

A great informational advertisement that is just a incredibly late to the party.

They've had some pretty solid ads running on television too now, ones that are showcasing the games and targeted towards the younger audience unlike this online ad.

#35 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26729 posts) -

@cain006 said:

These morons should've done this over a year ago.

And they shouldn't have taken as long as they did with the 3DS and when they did the "it's not a DS" (or something like that) campaign, but what can you do?

#36 Edited by bobbetybob (19276 posts) -

I love how they STILL don't just say "A brand new Nintendo console" it's always like "brand new technology!".

#37 Posted by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

I love how they STILL don't just say "A brand new Nintendo console" it's always like "brand new technology!".

Don't they say it's a brand new Nintendo console right at the beginning?

#38 Posted by bobbetybob (19276 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@bobbetybob said:

I love how they STILL don't just say "A brand new Nintendo console" it's always like "brand new technology!".

Don't they say it's a brand new Nintendo console right at the beginning?

"A whole new Nintendo experience!"

"WiiU is a whole new technology, and true successor to Wii!"

To be fair you'd have to be mad not to know they were saying it's a new console after all that but it annoys me that they won't just say it's a new console like they'd be admitting defeat or something.

#39 Posted by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@charizard1605 said:

@bobbetybob said:

I love how they STILL don't just say "A brand new Nintendo console" it's always like "brand new technology!".

Don't they say it's a brand new Nintendo console right at the beginning?

"A whole new Nintendo experience!"

"WiiU is a whole new technology, and true successor to Wii!"

To be fair you'd have to be mad not to know they were saying it's a new console after all that but it annoys me that they won't just say it's a new console like they'd be admitting defeat or something.

Well yeah, that's true lol. I guess at this point it's just a matter of semantics.

#40 Edited by superbuuman (2847 posts) -

The advert is boring, the guy's voice sound boring..why even say "true successor"? Was there a fake successor? that I didn't know about. :p

#41 Edited by EZs (1339 posts) -

How is it new when it's been out for so long?

#42 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21724 posts) -

Good trailer, also i loved that level in 3D world.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (57725 posts) -

@EZs said:

How is it new when it's been out for so long?

All new console. As in it's not the Wii. It's a new, different thing.

#44 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16612 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Yeah, no vid.

GS is glitching out, I guess. Ha! Just like old times. They're bringing back the old design.

Nope, it's just the return of all the old crap along with all the new crap.

#45 Posted by EZs (1339 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

All new console. As in it's not the Wii. It's a new, different thing.

Ahhh OK.

#46 Edited by MirkoS77 (7499 posts) -

Nintendo's, living in their bubble, probably inadvertently just become aware that people don't understand that the Wii U is a new system. Why else would it take so long to do this? I hope this ad isn't too big of an expenditure, Iwata.

#47 Edited by AtariKidX (6277 posts) -

Is that a joke....??That it was horrible.WiiU is a joke.

#48 Posted by AzatiS (7612 posts) -

Nintendo should stop making consoles imho , put all the efforts and money to push 3DS further since they are kings in handheld gaming and make all their top notch consoles games , multiplatform.

I think if Nintendo ever goes that way will make way more $$ .

#49 Posted by helwa1988 (2098 posts) -

Nintendo knows what they are doing. mark my words wii u will be selling like hot cakes by this time next year.

#50 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26729 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

Nintendo should stop making consoles imho , put all the efforts and money to push 3DS further since they are kings in handheld gaming and make all their top notch consoles games , multiplatform.

I think if Nintendo ever goes that way will make way more $$ .

And once again, the overestimation of Nintendo's handheld department continues, as well as the mentioning of "THAT" sell out move that would only end up making it worse.