Nintendo's new system might be the successor to 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lordlors (5699 posts) -

Nintendo Patents Handheld with Swappable Buttons

With rumors about a new hardware coming out and the recent patent, there might be a connection.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (28447 posts) -

Still hoping this happens. I so, so, so want to move on from the 3DS.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (61574 posts) -

Already three threads on this.

#4 Edited by drekula2 (2968 posts) -

could be a 3ds variant. but def not a new handheld. it's only been 4 years. the ds lasted like 7 years.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (61574 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

could be a 3ds variant. but def not a new handheld. it's only been 4 years. the ds lasted like 7 years.

The GBA lasted three. The GBC lasted three.

#6 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (998 posts) -

@charizard1605: I think its amazing how short the gba reign was. But the games didn't stop coming out for gba for another couple of years or so. It at least lasted 5 years before it bit the dust and gave full royalties to the DS.

#7 Edited by charizard1605 (61574 posts) -

@-paranorman- said:

@charizard1605: I think its amazing how short the gba reign was. But the games didn't stop coming out for gba for another couple of years or so. It at least lasted 5 years before it bit the dust and gave full royalties to the DS.

I mean, so might the 3DS, for all we know. We already know of some games announced for it that are releasing well into 2015- Monster Hunter, Mighty No. 9, for instance. Then again, it might just die at four years. It's hard to tell. But the fact of the matter is, a short lifespan isn't without precedent for Nintendo- in fact, until the DS, it used to be the norm.

#8 Edited by LordQuorthon (5388 posts) -

New Wii U SKU with more internal storage and/or Wiimote + nunchuk/Gamepad Pro. After the 2DS and the big 3DS, they've pretty much done everything that was humanly possible to do with the 3DS (except adding that second circle pad that's only good for Monster Hunter anyway) and it's just not the right time for an entirely new handheld.

I wouldn't rule out a new Wii Fit board kind of thing either. Not another Wii Fit board, but another out-of-the-box-thinking peripheral.

#9 Posted by Heil68 (47172 posts) -

Hope it's not a console.

#10 Posted by drekula2 (2968 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@drekula2 said:

true... but overlapping and separate lanes. basically, NDS was marketed to a different audience than GBA so they both co-existed for a while.

with the NDS lasting so long, it would be a step back to succeed it so soon.

#11 Edited by SolidGame_basic (19276 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@-paranorman- said:

I mean, so might the 3DS, for all we know. We already know of some games announced for it that are releasing well into 2015- Monster Hunter, Mighty No. 9, for instance. Then again, it might just die at four years. It's hard to tell. But the fact of the matter is, a short lifespan isn't without precedent for Nintendo- in fact, until the DS, it used to be the norm.

why interrupt a good thing with the 3DS to introduce a new system? if anything, they're going to announce a new version of the system and maybe lower the price. they still have a lot of milking to do imo.

#12 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1428 posts) -

Old patent from years ago its meaningless. And Nintendo has patents like everyone, big whoop. Most patents sit for decades and nothing comes from it.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (61574 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@-paranorman- said:

why interrupt a good thing with the 3DS to introduce a new system? if anything, they're going to announce a new version of the system and maybe lower the price. they still have a lot of milking to do imo.

It might be a 'third pillar' not intended to replace the 3DS, like the DS was to the GBA.

The fact of the matter is, 3DS sales are declining, alarmingly fast at that. Nintendo's console doesn't sell, its handheld never made enough money to cover the losses when it was selling a lot (i.e. in 2012 and 2013), and it certainly won't now, when its yearly sales are half of what they used to be. They need a new revenue stream. Either a mid life 3DS cycle (a half step up like GBC or DSi), or a full generational upgrade (and again, remember, GBC and GBA both only lasted three years each).

#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19276 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@-paranorman- said:

It might be a 'third pillar' not intended to replace the 3DS, like the DS was to the GBA.

The fact of the matter is, 3DS sales are declining, alarmingly fast at that. Nintendo's console doesn't sell, its handheld never made enough money to cover the losses when it was selling a lot (i.e. in 2012 and 2013), and it certainly won't now, when its yearly sales are half of what they used to be. They need a new revenue stream. Either a mid life 3DS cycle (a half step up like GBC or DSi), or a full generational upgrade (and again, remember, GBC and GBA both only lasted three years each).

If sales are declining wouldn't their first response be to cut the price? Also, doesn't the 3DS have Smash coming up this summer and don't they have other announcements? Also, GBC and GBA may have more to do with the state of games at the time and the rapidly growing technology. What would the next Nintendo handheld be? A more powerful 3DS? Just my two cents..

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (61574 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@-paranorman- said:

If sales are declining wouldn't their first response be to cut the price? Also, doesn't the 3DS have Smash coming up this summer and don't they have other announcements? Also, GBC and GBA may have more to do with the state of games at the time and the rapidly growing technology. What would the next Nintendo handheld be? A more powerful 3DS? Just my two cents..

Probably something cheaper and more powerful to produce based on smartphone technology that they can then refresh at a rapid annual or bi-annual rate.

#16 Edited by gba1989 (154 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@-paranorman- said:

We haven't even seen Advance Wars making a comeback yet.

#17 Edited by Epak_ (7028 posts) -

@Blabadon: Why? It's way too early... :(

#18 Edited by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

Might as well.. The 3DS is dying everywhere now. Won't even end up with 60million sales, and their next system will do even less.

Only a matter of time before nintendo bites the dust #VitaMeansLife

#20 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (9330 posts) -

An interesting concept. I guess it could work part of the QoL process as that big blue ocean does not like having too many buttons or feel intimidating on a circle pad.

#21 Edited by groowagon (3029 posts) -

please have 3 and a half screens and motion controls please please please... *fingers crossed*

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17515 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@drekula2 said:

Seriously Nintendo needs to focus on the systems they currently have.

The 3DS is selling really well now, releasing a new handheld already is not a smart business move. Especially if it ends up like 3DS and WiiU, selling really low at first.

#23 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17515 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@drekula2 said:

The 3DS is selling really well now, releasing a new handheld already is not a smart business move. Especially if it ends up like 3DS and WiiU, selling really low at first.

#24 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (9330 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

@drekula2 said:

They can still support the 3DS while this new handheld is out, it will be the same strategy when the DS came out and was known as the "Third Pillar" before successfullly took over as the flagship handheld. Also, despite the 3DS selling well now, it had a rough start and a bad image in the beginning, their goal is to reach out the blue ocean again, and they can't do that with the 3DS as it started out as anti-blue ocean.

#25 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17515 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

They can still support the 3DS while this new handheld is out, it will be the same strategy when the DS came out and was known as the "Third Pillar" before successfullly took over as the flagship handheld. Also, despite the 3DS selling well now, it had a rough start and a bad image in the beginning, their goal is to reach out the blue ocean again, and they can't do that with the 3DS as it started out as anti-blue ocean.

They are trying to sell their Wii U now, as the 3DS is going well.

They can use the money they make on the 3DS to market the Wii U.

If they have 2 systems they have to sell, and god forbid, have another rough launch (like Wii U and 3DS had) than it will be an even bigger financial nightmare for Nintendo.

#26 Edited by Suppaman100 (4356 posts) -

But 3DS isn't even old yet...

Doubt that it will be a complete new system.

#27 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (9330 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

They are trying to sell their Wii U now, as the 3DS is going well.

They can use the money they make on the 3DS to market the Wii U.

If they have 2 systems they have to sell, and god forbid, have another rough launch (like Wii U and 3DS had) than it will be an even bigger financial nightmare for Nintendo.

The DS had a rough launch, but gradually got better. The Blue Ocean automatically rejected the 3DS, and if Nintendo is working on QoL titles, its better to have those on a new console than its current model.

#28 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17515 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

The DS had a rough launch, but gradually got better. The Blue Ocean automatically rejected the 3DS, and if Nintendo is working on QoL titles, its better to have those on a new console than its current model.

What's QoL ?