Nintendo Robin Williams tribute in Zelda U.

• 55 results
#1 Posted by evilross (1884 posts) -

Nintendo responds to petition.

Very classy and respectful response from Nintendo. Over 90,000 signatures at last count.

Expect to see a NPC or easter egg tribute to Mr. Williams in Zelda U.

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39100 posts) -

I hope they will. That would be a nice gesture. I certainly wouldn't mind.

#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

So when I die will they put in an easter egg to commemorate my love for the series, too?

#4 Posted by evilross (1884 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer:

Have you partnered with them to do promotions and commercials and named your daughter Zelda?

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (39100 posts) -

So when I die will they put in an easter egg to commemorate my love for the series, too?

Make me laugh first.

#6 Posted by wolverine4262 (19026 posts) -

Crossing my fingers that Link will be able to dress up like an old lady.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (43414 posts) -

That is a petition I an get behind and support. Even if Nintendo doesn't, the game will always hold a special place with the family, since his Daughter is named Zelda.

#8 Edited by madsnakehhh (14142 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Of course, i mean you are a renowed and beloved actor, who is also known for his love for the franchise and worked with the company by making promotions and commercials too, right?

Anyway, it would be a nice gesture, hopefully they will do something.

#9 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (755 posts) -

There have been characters in previous Zelda titles who looked like Robin Williams. It was most likely unintentional, so seeing a character look like him with a name like "Willy Robin" would be kind of funny.

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6898 posts) -

How nice.

#11 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Someone on ign drew (i think) a picture of him as the king of hyrule, hopefully they do something like that, put him in as the King.

#12 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34140 posts) -

that'd be really cool.

#13 Posted by Kjranu (917 posts) -

I know Robin was a great guy but this is a bit obsessive.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

A very classy response by Nintendo, and I am glad they aren't using the tragedy to draw attention to themselves or their game (it would be so easy), and that, more importantly, they understand that reaching out to the Williams family to request permission for this now, right after Robin's death, would be tactless, insensitive, and disrespectful.

I hope that they do manage to slip in at least an easter egg to the main the game. If not, it wouldn't matter, he was still an avid Zelda fan, and nothing will change that.

#15 Edited by lundy86_4 (42979 posts) -

Considering the name of his daughter, this is really damn cool. The outpouring for this man has been tremendous.

#16 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -

They did have such a good relationship. Anyone remember these commercials? :)

#17 Edited by lundy86_4 (42979 posts) -

Adobe, why'd you bring the feels? That first video hit me, yo.

#18 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13375 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Someone on ign drew (i think) a picture of him as the king of hyrule, hopefully they do something like that, put him in as the King.

Oh dude, man I love this.

He was totally the boat this entire time.

#19 Posted by zodiark_spark (9 posts) -

It would be real nice of Nintendo to do this but not as the king, it would be nice just walking around hyrule and finding a hut hidden away and to see an npc named robin and when you talk to him he would tell you some jokes and to just do some funny things just to make us laugh like robin Williams always done.

#20 Edited by SolidTy (42417 posts) -

The title of the thread mislead me.

Upon reading the link:

"At this point, Nintendo has declined to make any commitment to the petition."

No news at this point worthy of attention.

#21 Posted by yokofox33 (29349 posts) -

I realize there are more important things in life, but Robin Williams was pretty much my childhood. It would be awesome if he was included in a Zelda game.

#22 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3679 posts) -

The shock of what happened upsets me a great deal. I think it would be an awesome tribute to both he and his family. Robin Williams is and will always be a legend regardless.

#23 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26315 posts) -

This could work.

#24 Posted by getyeryayasout (7169 posts) -

Crossing my fingers that Link will be able to dress up like an old lady.

Mrs. Linkfire would be a nice touch.

#25 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Upon reading the link:

"At this point", it said. They can change their minds, you know. ;)

#26 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

That was my point with my comment earlier. Not to be a dick but I'm a bit sick of hearing about this incident. It's sad but worse things happen daily and I don't really see what the point of this would be.

#27 Edited by SolidTy (42417 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@SolidTy said:

Upon reading the link:

"At this point", it said. They can change their minds, you know. ;)

Right. They can change their minds. You read the entire sentence above same as me. It's funny what happens when we break apart sentences. Let me try:

"...declined..."

Huh. The part of the sentence I chose didn't have the same effect as the part you chose. Strange how that works out.

It's all good though. :P

And when/if that scenario plays out aka actually happens, that's news, that's thread worthy. Let's talk about it then. I'm sure there will be 50x threads about it anyways. Delightful news that day.

At this point in time we are talking about nothing, what ifs, another online petition being read, and wouldn't it be nice. There's a petition. Yeah. Nintendo said they are capable of reading like we suspected and are aware of said petition. They declined to make any commitment. Nothing happened. People are frothing at the mouth still.

If it's any consolation I like Williams A LOT and I love Nintendo. Williams was a gem, I was very bitter news to hear of his demise. It would be nice if this Williams thing happened, but I have full control of my enthusiasm...my initial point remains the same. If anything, the idea of Williams being in a Zelda game would still be disheartening because Williams never got to see himself digitized in one of his favorite franchises, the Zelda games. Williams being interviewed about being in the game while he was alive? I would have loved to see his reaction. If it didn't happen when he was alive, I wonder if it will happen at all. The family might want royalties for lending out his image, lawyers, the William's Estate, Nintendo, Agents, contracts, culture clash...it could be a real headache. How much clout does NOA have over Nintendo Japan anyways? How much impact did Williams have in Japan? Would money be expected to change hands to make such a tribute possible? If so, I don't see Nintendo wanting to pay and rightfully so. It's definitely a mess. There is A LOT to really consider and I don't want to wrap my head in a discussion like that, it's depressing.

Williams was the man though, I personally own quite a few of his movies.

Still, it's nice to think about but ultimately no news...yet, or as you might notice, "at this point."

Don't mistake my point as against the idea. I'm just approaching this whole thing as a realist, but I'm optimistic.

#28 Posted by parkurtommo (26449 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

That was my point with my comment earlier. Not to be a dick but I'm a bit sick of hearing about this incident. It's sad but worse things happen daily and I don't really see what the point of this would be.

Yes you do. If devs put random easter eggs of fucking company CEOs and interesting people they met irl, making one of Robin Williams would make a lot of sense. I don't think you've registered: He acted in commercials for Nintendo, promoted the game and was a fan of the series, even naming his daughter Zelda. I mean come the fuck on, it makes complete sense.

And I'm not one to really cater towards the "star system" (celebrities).

#29 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

If anyone is against Robin Williams having a character/his likeness put in a LoZ game, you have no soul and you had a crappy childhood.

#30 Edited by KungfuKitten (20840 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

Didn't he name his Daughter Zelda after this series? I think that is the reason this is brought up. I think it's a very nice gesture.

#31 Posted by airshocker (28993 posts) -

I'm not really seeing where this isn't anything more than a dodge by Nintendo. I don't see any nice gesture in this response. They should absolutely do something to memorialize him for a Zelda game, but until they do I would caution people about getting their hopes up. Blizzard actually made an announcement and said they would do something for Robin in WoW. Why couldn't Nintendo just say something similar instead of being so god damn secretive?

#33 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150289 posts) -

Eh. I don't think reality needs to intrude on games. And by the time a game came out....people will have forgotten. It's the nature of things.

#34 Posted by Heirren (16502 posts) -

...If this is true i'd say it is most likely that Zelda will be of likeness to Robin Williams' daughter named Zelda.

#35 Posted by DocSanchez (1559 posts) -

Not usually one who supports people making money from tragedy but this doesn't qualify. It's clearly a nice gesture and what Robin would have wanted. Hats off to them for it.

#36 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@parkurtommo: I'm probably just jaded then because I don't want to be hearing about this for the next however long it's going to be.

#37 Posted by parkurtommo (26449 posts) -

Eh. I don't think reality needs to intrude on games. And by the time a game came out....people will have forgotten. It's the nature of things.

Easter eggs are not intrusive. Hence why they've been around for so long (most of them have tie ins with reality or other games) and no one has complained about them.

#38 Posted by parkurtommo (26449 posts) -

Some selfish coward gets a monument while our troops go unnoticed while dying to protect our freedoms so we can sit on our asses and play video games... Gamers are truly despicable creatures.

Are you trying to rustle our jimmies or are you serious? ._.

#39 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150289 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Easter eggs are not intrusive. Hence why they've been around for so long (most of them have tie ins with reality or other games) and no one has complained about them.

I know what they are.......

#40 Posted by parkurtommo (26449 posts) -

I don't think reality needs to intrude on games.

Then why did you say that? This obviously isn't intrusive because it will be an easter egg...

#42 Edited by farrell2k (5798 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Eh. I don't think reality needs to intrude on games.

Man, you must have never played a game by Working Designs...

#43 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150289 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Then why did you say that? This obviously isn't intrusive because it will be an easter egg...

Doesn't need to be....you like his work...watch it. But this is beyond silly. People are too invested in celebrity.

#44 Posted by parkurtommo (26449 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Doesn't need to be....you like his work...watch it. But this is beyond silly. People are too invested in celebrity.

I think I've only watched like 4 of the movies he was in (they are probably in the hundreds), I'm not a huge fan of RW. I just think that the idea of putting in an easter egg is perfect. It doesn't bother the people who don't care, it pleases the people who do care, and it's easy to implement. I don't see any issue.

#45 Posted by AdobeArtist (22819 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

Some selfish coward gets a monument while our troops go unnoticed while dying to protect our freedoms so we can sit on our asses and play video games... Gamers are truly despicable creatures.

Are you trying to rustle our jimmies or are you serious? ._.

If that is trolling, hyperbole, or what ever, it's still in the worst possible taste, and disgustingly inexcusable >:(

OK, so Robin Williams never went to war or carried a rifle to protect our freedoms. That doesn't make his contributions any less note worthy. And we can all appreciate the sacrifice of the troops, but the way Williams touched so many lives for 3 generations has in its own way made a timeless impact. Dismissing that is just ignorant.

#46 Posted by Elpresador-911 (204 posts) -

Robin Williams was a beast, hats off to Nintendo if they do include a nice little tribute/easter egg.

#47 Edited by B4X (3564 posts) -

I loved Robin.. Watched his entire career before Mork and Mindy. (Stand UP)

I was shocked about his death. Saddened for the people he hurt through that act. Family.

#48 Posted by resevl4rlz (3269 posts) -

Nintendo ain't gonna do it

#49 Posted by DocSanchez (1559 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: There is just no comparison necessary and anyone making one is a complete dickhead.

#50 Posted by foxhound_fox (87624 posts) -

I think a well-placed, well-hidden easter egg involving a "Robin" character (that isn't of Williams' likeness) with something meaningful to say would be a significantly greater way of honoring his memory than a major role.