Nintendo renews trademark for.....

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Metroid Prime

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/12/13/nintendo-renews-trademark-for-metroid-prime/

Probably old news and not interesting.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Like if they'll use it.. *rolls eyes* I wish they would just give it to someone else if they're not doing anything with it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@dobzilian said:

Metroid Prime

Probably old news and not interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Means nothing, they're probably just ensuring they don't lose exclusive rights over the name of what is by all accounts an active product for them.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I was hoping for StarTropics

Nintendo is dead to me

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Could be planning a re-release of the Trilogy to test the waters. Depends on how involved Sakamoto is at this point.

Also, Other M was a good game and I would pay for a sequel.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#7 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Trilogy HD please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
@princessgomez92 said:

Trilogy HD please.

Super Metroid Prime Trilogy HD UPad Edition Ultra

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Could be planning a re-release of the Trilogy to test the waters. Depends on how involved Sakamoto is at this point.

I thought I was alone. :O

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Saying Other M is good is blasphemy of the highest order

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xaero_Gravity

@Capitan_Kid said:

You're right, it's great.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Means nothing. Call me when retro is done wasting everyone's time with those monkey games first.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xaero_Gravity

I'm sorry, that was Michael level trolling.

While I did enjoy Other M, it was still quite flawed. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Platinum Games take a shot at a sequel.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Thought I was the only one who wanted to see PlatinumGames working on a Other M sequel. I crated a topic on it in tne Nintendo Boards and everyone said Rare > PG.

Yeah it was kinda bad, I'm sorry.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

@charizard1605: either new entry or nothing.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

it's kind of funny (or sad) that Nintendo isn't going to make a Metroid Prime game on the WiiU even though that tablet screen could be used for visor stuff.

It's also sad that we didn't get a Pikmin game on the Wii despite wiimote controls being a natural fit, as shown with Pikmin 3, proving that time was wasted with WiiU tablet integration.

It's also sad that while the Wii excelled in rail shooters, the premiere Nintendo rail shooter, Star Fox, never got a game on the system.

Meanwhile, the wii got a lot of games on the wii that never benefited from the wii controls and were arguably made worse with them: Super Mario Galaxy, SMG2, NSMBWii, Xenoblade (should have had a wiiu version made... freakin idiots), Epic Yarn, SSBB, Monster Hunter, Super Paper Mario, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and others I'm sure.

And yes there were some worthwhile controller integrations as well. MP3, Skyward Sword, Warioware, etc but I'm just saying it was not enough of them.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@charizard1605:

It's catchy.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I also enjoyed it very much.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'd be excited if they announced Metroid Dread, which was in the style of Metroid Prime, but maybe with some different gimmicks.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts

@treedoor: I too wish the would bring back this series. Both games were top notch. It could be Nintendo's equivalent to the uncharted series. Seems they forgot about it.=/

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

What does that mean? Well, after Eternal Darkness being re-trademarked numerous times... NOTHING!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

All I want is Super Metroid II on 3DS. Which means it won't happen. Damn shame Metroid SR-388 is no longer in the works.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

@foxhound_fox: yea other m is amazing i really want a sequel. too back the general community hated it. imho it one of the best metroid games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
@Capitan_Kid said:

Bullshit. It's a good game and a good Metroid game. It isn't excellent or up to par with the rest of the series (aside from Corruption and Return of Samus) but it's good, and takes advantage of a lot of the franchises tropes and does well with them. The gameplay is the 3D equivalent of Super Metroid, and the story, while chessy in some parts (mostly the beginning) is a good effort for Nintendo and explores some aspects of Samus no other Metroid game ever even touched.

A lot of the criticisms leveled against it for misogyny/sexism are unfounded, since Samus revered Adam as a father figure, which in Japan demands the highest order of respect and obedience, for anyone, regardless of gender.

@trugs26 said:

I'd be excited if they announced Metroid Dread, which was in the style of Metroid Prime, but maybe with some different gimmicks.

Metroid Dread was rumoured to be a 2D side-scrolling sequel on the GBA to Metroid: Fusion. It was only ever mentioned in passing and never amounted to more than a rumour.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Joedgabe said:

Like if they'll use it.. *rolls eyes* I wish they would just give it to someone else if they're not doing anything with it.

Nope. They'll never give Metroid up even of they never use the IP again. Why?

SUPER SMASH BROS.

While Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero may not be as popular as their own franchises, almost every time they get put in Smash, they get more well known there and you can bet that Smash fans will lose their s*** if Nintendo gave any of these up.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Joedgabe said:

SUPER SMASH BROS.

While Metroid, Star Fox, and F-Zero may not be as popular as their own franchises, almost every time they get put in Smash, they get more well known there and you can bet that Smash fans will lose their s*** if Nintendo gave any of these up.

would they ? i mean at this point metroid fans have been begging for another metroid game for years ( that other M is...... "other" ) and nintendo doesn't give it a chance.So i don't think they would be mad if they gave it up, at least it would increase the chances of having another one made.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Joedgabe said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Joedgabe said:

SUPER SMASH BROS.

would they ? i mean at this point metroid fans have been begging for another metroid game for years ( that other M is...... "other" ) and nintendo doesn't give it a chance.So i don't think they would be mad if they gave it up, at least it would increase the chances of having another one made.

Well, prior to Prime, Metroid fans have waited eight years, I think they can wait a bit more.

And yes, fans would be upset at Nintendo for selling out Metroid like that. It would outrage Smash fans and regular Metroid fans alike.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@trugs26 said:

Metroid Dread was rumoured to be a 2D side-scrolling sequel on the GBA to Metroid: Fusion. It was only ever mentioned in passing and never amounted to more than a rumour.

Yup. Doesn't mean it can't be reworked though. I'd just like the idea of Dread coming through in the end in some way.

Avatar image for Jumpingjack2004
Jumpingjack2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jumpingjack2004
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

@foxhound_fox: I agree on Other M, I love that game.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunSmith1_basic

Other M had excellent gameplay but the story was awful. If you think it was sexist you're wrong. It's just written so incompetently that it stumbles into material that is arguably very sexist. It doesn't help that Metroid is moving towards a very narrative-driven series, especially when the narrative is deteriorating at such an alarming rate.

And that's the issue with Metroid Prime as well. As the series became more prevalent they took more and more control away from Retro and let certain individuals at Nintendo guide the direction of the series.

Anything Metroid really ought to be considered dead at this point.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

All this means is that Nintendo will announce a Metroid Extreme Volleyball, Space edition, of course without online.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Other M had excellent gameplay but the story was awful. If you think it was sexist you're wrong. It's just written so incompetently that it stumbles into material that is arguably very sexist. It doesn't help that Metroid is moving towards a very narrative-driven series, especially when the narrative is deteriorating at such an alarming rate.

And that's the issue with Metroid Prime as well. As the series became more prevalent they took more and more control away from Retro and let certain individuals at Nintendo guide the direction of the series.

Anything Metroid really ought to be considered dead at this point.

Here, take this *flame shield*.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By foxhound_fox
@GunSmith1_basic said:

If you think it was sexist you're wrong. It's just written so incompetently that it stumbles into material that is arguably very sexist.

No, actually, it's people interpreted the themes of Samus and Adam's interaction as sexist. They assumed they were lovers, and missed the fact Samus revered Adam as a father figure (something that in Japanese culture carries the highest form of respect). Adam is the only person Samus would ever take orders from, and she takes his authority as absolute. Ever since Fusion this was an established trope of the Metroid series.

There are more complex themes at play than what people seem capable of inferring (it's all pretty obvious to anyone who has read the canonical e-comic), and it's a shame because there is potential to explore more in an Other M 2. Samus is psychologically damaged and can be extremely fragile at times (not because she is a woman, but because she lost her parents at such a young age and never got proper treatment), which is why she reacted like she did when Ridley, whom she assumed was dead, showed up.

What people also seem to often forget about that particular scene is that she comes to her senses and kicks Ridley's ass in possibly one of the best Ridley fights in the history of the series. Better than Prime and Corruption, and very close to Super.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

If you think it was sexist you're wrong. It's just written so incompetently that it stumbles into material that is arguably very sexist.

No, actually, it's people interpreted the themes of Samus and Adam's interaction as sexist. They assumed they were lovers, and missed the fact Samus revered Adam as a father figure (something that in Japanese culture carries the highest form of respect). Adam is the only person Samus would ever take orders from, and she takes his authority as absolute. Ever since Fusion this was an established trope of the Metroid series.

There are more complex themes at play than what people seem capable of inferring (it's all pretty obvious to anyone who has read the canonical e-comic), and it's a shame because there is potential to explore more in an Other M 2. Samus is psychologically damaged and can be extremely fragile at times (not because she is a woman, but because she lost her parents at such a young age and never got proper treatment), which is why she reacted like she did when Ridley, whom she assumed was dead, showed up.

What people also seem to often forget about that particular scene is that she comes to her senses and kicks Ridley's ass in possibly one of the best Ridley fights in the history of the series. Better than Prime and Corruption, and very close to Super.

When I got to that point in the game I wondered why there was a big hubabub about it, considering it was my favorite fight in the entire game.

Speaking of lovers, I thought it was a bit obvious that Adam's Brother was Samus's Lover and not Adam.

@MirkoS77 said:

All I want is Super Metroid II on 3DS. Which means it won't happen. Damn shame Metroid SR-388 is no longer in the works.

If you bought your 3DS before the Price Drop you got Super Metroid II on your 3DS. In case if you're confused, Super Metroid II was Metroid Fusion and that was part of the Ambassador Program.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#36 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

I kinda liked Other M. There, I said it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MirkoS77

@LegatoSkyheart: Still not Super though.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Most metroid games are really good, with Prime series being on my top 3 favorite games of all time. Other M was disappointing though, so a return to the prime universe would be nice. They need to stay away from how MP3 worked though, because having NPC characters that talk to you and stuff really takes away from the secluded feeling the game is supposed to have.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I would love to see a Metroid Prime Hunters 2 for the 3DS.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@princessgomez92 said:

Trilogy HD please.

Super Metroid Prime Trilogy HD UPad Edition Ultra

I guess Capcom will be developing it.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GunSmith1_basic

@foxhound_fox said:

Art is a communication between the artist and the audience. It is the responsibility of the artist to understand his or her audience. This is why the writers of Other M were incompetent. They obviously did a horrible job at communicating their intended message based on the audience response that they got.

I also have a hard time believing that there is as much sophistication in the narrative as you say simply based on how horribly unnatural the dialogue feels and how badly it is voice acted (which apparently was the result of Nintendo's influence. They wanted Samus to sound that wooden apparently).

If we lived in a society where all things were equal, Other M would be all right, but we don't. If you look at this industry in context of our society, Other M brings up all the wrong questions.

Why is it that the only protagonist who experiences paralyzing emotions be a woman? Why must she constantly be in a dream-like emotional state throughout the whole game? Again, why must a woman be the first/only protagonist to be like this? Why must it be the most prominent, established female protagonist in video games? Why is she the one who has to get permission to use her weapons? (and, btw, that whole weapon-limiting thing was a brilliant idea, but again it was written so horribly that it became sexist. I have had to defend it to so many people. Nintendo just didn't write it well enough. Part of my explanation for it has to come from me because the rationale just isn't in the game).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox

@GunSmith1_basic said:

It is the responsibility of the artist to understand his or her audience.

Uh, no? The artist creates, and the audience interprets. There is no "responsibility" that the artist has to their audience. They create what "comes" to them, and we as the audience absorb it, like it/hate it and move on with our lives. You sound entitled, and make it seem as if you think they needed to make the game YOU wanted, and not the game THEY wanted.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@MirkoS77: Have faith, dude- did they not JUST release a 3DS sequel to an SNES game and see it win GotY over console juggernauts and surefire shoe-ins?

@LegatoSkyheart: There's a difference between Metroid 4 and a hypothetical Super Metroid 2.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

They are just protecting the name.,

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nintendoboy16

@El_Zo1212o said:

@MirkoS77: Have faith, dude- did they not JUST release a 3DS sequel to an SNES game and see it win GotY over console juggernauts and surefire shoe-ins?

Yes, in a franchise that isn't inactive.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I just want a new Metroid game on the 3DS. 2D gameplay but with interactive 3D environments.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MirkoS77

@nintendoboy16 said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

Yes, in a franchise that isn't inactive.

Yea, I'm afraid I'd have to agree, but I'm still holding out some hope.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Thirded. Just don't let Sakomoto write the goddamn story.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

If they make a metriod game like Albw on 3ds. I will squeal like a little girl at a Hannah Montana concert, and of course, buy the game when it comes out.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By foxhound_fox

@DarkLink77 said:

Thirded. Just don't let Sakomoto write the goddamn story.

I give him a break for three reasons:

1) He is Japanese, thus has different cultural heritage.
2) He is not a famed spoken narrative-weaver (nobody at Nintendo is).
3) He is a Metroid fanboy and loves the series so much and thinks it's his baby.

I don't agree that the story is terribad, but it isn't as good as it could be.