Nintendo relying on Wii to pick up the slack

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6539 posts) -

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/04/wii-mini-launch-u-s-100-includes-mario-kart-wii/

That could most definitely cannibalize

Wii U sales since its only 100 bucks and comes with a drug called Mario kart and it could confuse the hell outta casuals. What say you SW? Was this a good idea or bad idea?

#2 Edited by TwistedShade (3155 posts) -

Wii Mini, Wii, Wii U, 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL. I think Nintendo's marketing department needs to sit down for about 5 minutes and realize how confusing this is going to sound to consumers.

#3 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17070 posts) -

Yeah, I'm sure this won't confuse consumers even more. They need to lighten up on the potatoes at Nintendo HQ.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (56297 posts) -

Meh. The Wii Mini has a form factor sufficiently differentiated from the Wii U to where there should not be any confusion (the form factor was an issue with both the 3DS/DS situation, and the Wii/Wii U situation).

As long as they sufficiently and properly market the Wii U this holiday season (the 3DS is set in that regard), there shouldn't be much of an issue.

#5 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Pretty pointless.

Isn't the Wii U backwards compatible with Wii games? Seems you'd get more out of the Wii U if you just invest the extra cash.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (56297 posts) -

Pretty pointless.

Isn't the Wii U backwards compatible with Wii games? Seems you'd get more out of the Wii U if you just invest the extra cash.

I think Nintendo is aiming for the budget priced market with the Wii now just as Sony did with the PS2 post PS3's release

#7 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5349 posts) -

Pretty stupid.

#8 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

NoA has always been not the sharpest tool in the shed. #letsbereal

#9 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150480 posts) -

NoA has always been not the sharpest tool in the shed. #letsbereal

Not true. Look what they did during the 8 bit gen.....

#10 Posted by DocSanchez (1584 posts) -

@charizard1605: Nintendo can literally do nothing wrong in your eyes can they? What on earth are you even talking about? Form factor?

#11 Posted by AtariKidX (6211 posts) -

Nintendo...................lol

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (43065 posts) -

Meh. The Wii Mini has a form factor sufficiently differentiated from the Wii U to where there should not be any confusion (the form factor was an issue with both the 3DS/DS situation, and the Wii/Wii U situation).

As long as they sufficiently and properly market the Wii U this holiday season (the 3DS is set in that regard), there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Pretty much this.

#13 Edited by charizard1605 (56297 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@charizard1605: Nintendo can literally do nothing wrong in your eyes can they? What on earth are you even talking about? Form factor?

I don't think you are too acquainted with my posting history, are you?

In any case, I'll dignify your post with a response. By form factor, this is what I mean.

This is what the Wii looks like:

And this right here is the Wii U

They look so similar it's almost impossible to tell the difference at a glance, especially for a casual. When Nintendo decided to use the same branding for the Wii U as the Wii, showed it being played with Wiimotes, called it the Wii U which made it seem like another peripheral for the Wii, and then in all Wii U marketing, de-emphasized the console, only showing a little bit of it (so it was easier still to mistake it for the Wii), while focusing almost exclusively on the tablet controller, casuals thought that the Wii U was a peripheral for the Wii instead of being a new console.

Now, here is what the Wii Mini looks like:

Do you notice the difference? Do you understand now?

Of course, in spite of the difference in form factors, which is now pretty obvious, all the original branding issues still remain, which is why I said in my post, the one that you decided to call out, 'As long as they sufficiently and properly market the Wii U,there shouldn't be a problem.'

Now do you understand? Or are there more incoming personal attacks because you don't have anything legitimate to say?

#14 Posted by Netret0120 (2051 posts) -

Oh my word

What are Nintendo doing?! They know casual gamers get their consoles and heck i am even slightly confused now.

I thought the wii u had BC thus rendering the need for a wii useless?

#15 Edited by charizard1605 (56297 posts) -

Oh my word

What are Nintendo doing?! They know casual gamers get their consoles and heck i am even slightly confused now.

I thought the wii u had BC thus rendering the need for a wii useless?

The Wii U is also $300, which means not everyone can get it.

The Wii is $99, which means people will pick it up; it's also cheap as fuck to manufacture, which means much higher margins to boot.

#16 Posted by DocSanchez (1584 posts) -

@charizard1605: I understood your general point but you sounded like a corporate press release. Which is the kind of rhetoric people hide behind when their point is particularly weak.

I have not personally attacked you nor do I ever go down that route which is more than I can say for some of my detractors, although you have to this date not been one of those. I merely accused you of being biased towards Nintendo to the point where they can continuously make major mistakes and be let off.

#17 Edited by Fizzman (9869 posts) -

Won't help. Wii is DOA. That includes the Wii Mini. Heck, the Wii U is also DOA. Nintendo is paying the price for chasing after casuals.

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (56297 posts) -

@charizard1605: I understood your general point but you sounded like a corporate press release. Which is the kind of rhetoric people hide behind when their point is particularly weak.

I have not personally attacked you nor do I ever go down that route which is more than I can say for some of my detractors, although you have to this date not been one of those. I merely accused you of being biased towards Nintendo to the point where they can continuously make major mistakes and be let off.

Right, sorry, I misread your post too. I apologize for coming off as overly aggressive in that case.

However, I do still stand by my original point: I can see Nintendo's reasoning, and I can see how there would not be as much brand confusion between Wii Mini and Wii U as the original Wii and Wii U. Basically that is all I was saying.

#19 Posted by lundy86_4 (43065 posts) -

@Fizzman said:

Won't help. Wii is DOA. That includes the Wii Mini. Heck, the Wii U is also DOA. Nintendo is paying the price for chasing after casuals.

Wii is DOA, after dominating, and is no longer OA -- On Arrival?

#20 Posted by DocSanchez (1584 posts) -

@charizard1605: Well that's a fair enough point but I do think there is a lot of over saturation on the branding here. It's not the first time I've seen it though, I do think the brand strength argument is a little weak and is like excuse making. The consumer might be surprised by the wii u being different than the wii but that's not the major reason it's failing.

#21 Edited by charizard1605 (56297 posts) -

@charizard1605: Well that's a fair enough point but I do think there is a lot of over saturation on the branding here. It's not the first time I've seen it though, I do think the brand strength argument is a little weak and is like excuse making. The consumer might be surprised by the wii u being different than the wii but that's not the major reason it's failing.

There is a lot of brand saturation, yes, but with the Wii U flagging as badly as it is, I can see why they are trying to maximize margins by using the significantly cheaper Wii. This reminds me of when Sony continued to push the PS2 after the PS3 came out and didn't do as well initially (or hell, how Nintendo pushed the DS over the 3DS two years ago).

It leads to short term confusion for consumers, yes, but it also alleviates any immediate financial issues; plus in the long run, when brand differentiation has been established (and the preceding console has been retired), it doesn't matter anyway.

Again, I see your point, and I agree with it. I am just trying to explain a corporation's, any corporation's, reason for promoting an old product (see also: Apple and the iPad 2).

#22 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26343 posts) -

Charizard and thinking Nintendo can do no wrong? lol

#23 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25014 posts) -

This must only apply to Nintendo of America because that's the only Nintendo to have Wiis still in production.

#24 Posted by stuff238 (617 posts) -

We Canadians got this last year. No one buys the Wii mini either. LOL. It also collects dust on shelves. I'm not joking.

It will probably sell better in the US, but its a bad idea overall. Apparantly the console is gimped and can't play gamecube games, has no online and some other missing features. I didn't think nintendo could make the wii worse.....but they did with the mini. lolololol

#25 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

It will outsell Wiiu for sure.

#26 Edited by FinalFighters (1403 posts) -

they even removed the feature to connect to the internet? lol dafuq.

#27 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26118 posts) -

This makes no sense.

#28 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

They really don't have a clue. Luckily for them, when the investors see the year end sales there is no way in Hell Iwata will keep his job.

#29 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3508 posts) -

What Charizard said.

#30 Posted by lamprey263 (23305 posts) -

I think Nintendo will recover some this holiday, no necessarily because they're doing anything better, but because if the X1 and PS4 are unattainable for many they might just pick up the hassle free to acquire Wii U instead

#31 Posted by chocolate1325 (32476 posts) -

I think Nintendo should just accept the Wii U is a bad decision choice.