Nintendo Q1 15-16: 3DS 53m, Wii U 10m, Profit

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@super600: True, hopefully the NX and a price drop will help it sell more. I wish it was selling better, but your cant force people to buy it. Europe for some reason dont like Wii U, Japan is buying more Wii U's then all of Europe.

Plus PC gaming is stronger then ever with Minecraft and all them great Steam games, then you got the 3DS Wii U has to compete with, plus tablets, phones, PS4, Xbox One, competition is fierce nowadays. Price is high on the tablet, most dont understand how awesome it is, most dont want to listen, it is what it is i guess.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:
@AzatiS said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@AzatiS said:

You have a point there ... I personally refuse to pay for this piece of junk , Wii U that is , for 2-3 games i was/am interested in so im renting the system with the game i want or we doing friend meetings and we playing the games with friends etc.

I wouldnt mind to pay for games like Zelda or Bayonetta ... but i wouldnt buy a system for 2-3 games only , then become a dust collector, waste of money and .. space.

Then its good that Nintendo doesn't cater to you. You and your casual 2 games wouldn't keep Nintendo afloat as a 3rd party publisher. Me and my 47 Wii U games do. If Nintendo went 3rd party and had to depend on your casual game purchases, they would need to average 20-30 million units selling like Rockstar.

You sound like Nintendo games are costly as much as a GTA game and is hard to make a revenue from them ... Are you serious now ? Besides i would buy what everyone would .. Zelda / Main mario game and ... maybe a Mario RPG. 3 games from same publisher , isnt that ok ? I mean ... why the hell for a game like Kart to need Rockstars games sales in order to bring in $$ ? Lol man ...

So you are okay with nintendo being reduced to a smaller, less diverse dev house, because you happen to only care about franchises you assume would survive the third party transition.

Tell me how this benefits anyone (Nintendo included) other than you and your desire to play 3 or 4 specific Nintendo titles on your favourite game box, that you assume would be safe from the culling?

lol

First of all i dont care if Nintendo goes 3rd party or not . Im playing what i want without spend a single $ by renting ( i mean no $ goes to Nintendo by me obviously ) or with friends meets for gaming sessions . So there is no desire at all for that to happen. In fact i dont care , im playing what i want with one way or another.

All im saying is that i really think if NX fails as hard as Wii U did .. forget Nintendo consoles . Thats what i personally think. I might be wrong.

Nintendo will see some $$ from me only if they go 3rd party otherwise what im doing it works wonders , saving money for something else while having the whole experience i want from few titles i like and thats all. All happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@AzatiS said:
@Thunderdrone said:
@AzatiS said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@AzatiS said:

You have a point there ... I personally refuse to pay for this piece of junk , Wii U that is , for 2-3 games i was/am interested in so im renting the system with the game i want or we doing friend meetings and we playing the games with friends etc.

I wouldnt mind to pay for games like Zelda or Bayonetta ... but i wouldnt buy a system for 2-3 games only , then become a dust collector, waste of money and .. space.

Then its good that Nintendo doesn't cater to you. You and your casual 2 games wouldn't keep Nintendo afloat as a 3rd party publisher. Me and my 47 Wii U games do. If Nintendo went 3rd party and had to depend on your casual game purchases, they would need to average 20-30 million units selling like Rockstar.

You sound like Nintendo games are costly as much as a GTA game and is hard to make a revenue from them ... Are you serious now ? Besides i would buy what everyone would .. Zelda / Main mario game and ... maybe a Mario RPG. 3 games from same publisher , isnt that ok ? I mean ... why the hell for a game like Kart to need Rockstars games sales in order to bring in $$ ? Lol man ...

So you are okay with nintendo being reduced to a smaller, less diverse dev house, because you happen to only care about franchises you assume would survive the third party transition.

Tell me how this benefits anyone (Nintendo included) other than you and your desire to play 3 or 4 specific Nintendo titles on your favourite game box, that you assume would be safe from the culling?

lol

First of all i dont care if Nintendo goes 3rd party or not . Im playing what i want without spend a single $ by renting ( i mean no $ goes to Nintendo by me obviously ) or with friends meets for gaming sessions . So there is no desire at all for that to happen. All im saying is that i really think if NX fails as hard as Wii U did .. forget Nintendo consoles . Thats what i personally think.

Nintendo will see some $$ from me only if they go 3rd party otherwise what im doing it works wonders and thats all.

That will never happen, Nintendo is to big to fail. After NX will come another handheld and home console.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@AzatiS said:
@Thunderdrone said:

lol

First of all i dont care if Nintendo goes 3rd party or not . Im playing what i want without spend a single $ by renting ( i mean no $ goes to Nintendo by me obviously ) or with friends meets for gaming sessions . So there is no desire at all for that to happen. All im saying is that i really think if NX fails as hard as Wii U did .. forget Nintendo consoles . Thats what i personally think.

Nintendo will see some $$ from me only if they go 3rd party otherwise what im doing it works wonders and thats all.

That will never happen, Nintendo is to big to fail. After NX will come another handheld and home console.

I really think NX will be a hybrid console of some sort , lets see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@AzatiS said:
@mesome713 said:
@AzatiS said:
@Thunderdrone said:

lol

I really think NX will be a hybrid console of some sort , lets see.

I agree, but im saying after it Nintendo will release a handheld and home console, then cross them again. Re-Re-Remix!

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@KBFloYd: The wii was a gimmick which captured an audience Nintendo can't get back. It was that years Rubik's cube, born out by the microscopic software attach rate. In the grand scheme of things, Nintendo's fandom is decreasing year on year.

It was an anomaly and I will treat it as such.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#57 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@KBFloYd: The wii was a gimmick which captured an audience Nintendo can't get back. It was that years Rubik's cube, born out by the microscopic software attach rate. In the grand scheme of things, Nintendo's fandom is decreasing year on year.

Microscopic attach rate? The Wii has an attach rate of 10.5, which is one of the highest in history, and higher than PS3.

I understand the point that you are trying to make, and to an extent I even agree with it (the Wii was a fad), but please don't say things that are factually incorrect.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

Other than the false software sales remark, this.

Anyone pretending the Wii isn't a major major exception is buggin. Because now Nintendo has to win that market back if they ever go for them again by competing with the things Apple is doing and what android phones are doing.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@DocSanchez said:

Microscopic attach rate? The Wii has an attach rate of 10.5, which is one of the highest in history, and higher than PS3.

I understand the point that you are trying to make, and to an extent I even agree with it (the Wii was a fad), but please don't say things that are factually incorrect.

Which isn't very good with how the Wii achieved this.

Also put shipped next to 3DS and Wii U sales. One could mistakenly think the Wii U reached 10 million through.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@DocSanchez said:

Tiny sales for the wii u, but considering how cheap the tech is and how expensive they are selling it, they still make a profit. Not good for the fans because the tech is so shit and over priced but people still celebrate a corporation cheating them.

Revenue is not good. 10 million sales. Jesus Christ. That's alarming.Take the wii out and every gen they get worse.

thats where hater logic like yours and others fails....the wii...

if only the wii didn't exist.

Yeah I don't get this. It did exist and it blew the other consoles out of the water last gen. Even with all their power and third party support.

Granted I had many problems with the Wii but owning all three made me care a little less about them. There's plenty of gems on that little console that could.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Bread_or_Decide

@DocSanchez said:

And the xbox one couldn't win back the 360 audience. The PS3 couldn't win back the PS2 audience. The Wii U couldn't win back the Wii audience.

Are you noticing a pattern yet about a gen sales leader and how they perform the following gen?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Those numbers dont add up, nintnedo's supposed to be doomed remember?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DocSanchez

@Bread_or_Decide: Except none of those consoles has been an outright failure. Nintendo's console sales have been in a downward trajectory since the N64. Take the Wii out and its a consistent decline culminating in the Wii u selling the worst of all.

It's simple. When Nintendo goes after dedicated gamers, they fail. They managed to capture a craze audience. Like yoyos in the late 80s, pogs, the audience left quick as they came.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Bread_or_Decide

@DocSanchez said:

@Bread_or_Decide: Except none of those consoles has been an outright failure. Nintendo's console sales have been in a downward trajectory since the N64. Take the Wii out and its a consistent decline culminating in the Wii u selling the worst of all.

It's simple. When Nintendo goes after dedicated gamers, they fail. They managed to capture a craze audience. Like yoyos in the late 80s, pogs, the audience left quick as they came.

And yet the N64 and Gamecube were not failures. They sold moderately well and made money for Nintendo. You don't have to be the leader to make money. Nintendo is a smartly managed business that way. They are in the business of making money even if they don't sell the most units.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DocSanchez

@Bread_or_Decide: They were clearly not successes!

Be honest. Every single gen bar one they have lost ground. I've explained why that was. Gamecube sold barely 20 million. They make money, because they are cheap consoles lacking in features or technology, but that isn't good for you. Less and less people actually go out and buy one because more and more people see through Nintendo.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@DocSanchez said:

And yet the N64 and Gamecube were not failures. They sold moderately well and made money for Nintendo. You don't have to be the leader to make money. Nintendo is a smartly managed business that way. They are in the business of making money even if they don't sell the most units.

Yeah, calling 'failure' is straight up bullshit. None of their consoles were failures sans the Virtua Boy.

But unfortunately, it's a fact that their (home console) market share has been dwindling at an alarming rate, their consoles have been selling less and less with each passing generation ever since the very beginning. I think it's interesting from a curiosity standpoint, as morbid and disrespectful as it sounds, Nintendo as a console manufacturer have been on a downward spiral to irrelevance ever since they started with consoles which is fucking incredible to me.

Yes, the Wii. A single thread of hope that Nintendo clung to, managed to skyrocket back and grab a huge slice of that market pie. A thread that was tied to the massive rise of casual gaming that was untouched at that time; the 'Blue Ocean'. Which is now completely and utterly dominated by smartphones and tables, so yes, the Wii was the very definition of an exception to the rule, regardless how much people will try and deny it. They had it in their grasp, but they lost it in 2010 and never got it back.

My point is that it doesn't matter that they're making a profit. Their market share is shrinking, and that is a fact. And given the history of their home consoles, it will continue to shrink until they can no longer sustain themselfs in the market. Nintendo isn't doomed. They're slowly and simply fading away.

Ofcourse, that's just the current state of affairs. In Nintendo's history, they have always managed to reinvent themselfs and succeed for over 120 years. I'm sure Nintendo will exist as a relevant force in the entertainment industry long after i'm dead. Maybe NX is that other turning point, who knows.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Bread_or_Decide

@DocSanchez said:

Be honest. Every single gen bar one they have lost ground. I've explained why that was. Gamecube sold barely 20 million. They make money, because they are cheap consoles lacking in features or technology, but that isn't good for you. Less and less people actually go out and buy one because more and more people see through Nintendo.

Don't tell me what's good for me. I know what I like. And I like Nintendo consoles to be alongside the other idiots who are ruining gaming. As long as they are always there to balance the equation I don't care how many units they sell. Most of my favorite bands don't sell jack squat in records but I don't love them any less.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 DocSanchez

@Bread_or_Decide:

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@DocSanchez said:

Don't tell me what's good for me. I know what I like. And I like Nintendo consoles to be alongside the other idiots who are ruining gaming. As long as they are always there to balance the equation I don't care how many units they sell. Most of my favorite bands don't sell jack squat in records but I don't love them any less.

You know what you like. Christ. I didn't want to say, but the line about "There's plenty of gems on that little console that could." was cringeworthy, childish fanboyism. You are one person, and I am dealing with facts here, not your emotions. Nintendo are losing ground. That is a fact.

People can choose to ignore what the wii was and what it represented, but the sales of the wii u tell the whole story. Nintendo abandoned the loyal base and their drop was drastic. Every generation they make a particularly bad decision which costs them.

To @Lucianu, it isn't true to say they had anything in their grasp with wii. The wii was never going to be a long term success. It was a gimmick and a craze. It is one of the most unloved consoles of all time, outside of a few of the most loyal Nintendo fans a laughing stock derided for cheap party games. You may have a point about N64 and GC not being outright failures, but they were certainly lost ground over previous gens and turned Nintendo from the kings of gaming to relative bit parters, and with the people who spend the most money overall and give the most support over all, even during the wii gen this has never changed.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#69 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@samusbeliskner said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Pft. Nintendo posting Profits? Its obviously a error. Someone should tell them that people in forums is saying they're doomed and that they should go 3rd party.

Imagine how much more profitable they could be if they did go third party!

They wouldn't be as profitable, they'd lose out on their hardware revenue stream, as well as licensing revenue streams.

That's not true.

Yes they would lose on these two fronts, but their new outlet would be MUCH bigger.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#70 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@samusbeliskner said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Pft. Nintendo posting Profits? Its obviously a error. Someone should tell them that people in forums is saying they're doomed and that they should go 3rd party.

Imagine how much more profitable they could be if they did go third party!

They wouldn't be as profitable, they'd lose out on their hardware revenue stream, as well as licensing revenue streams.

That's not true.

Yes they would lose on these two fronts, but their new outlet would be MUCH bigger.

lol NO! Not even SEGA's outlet was any bigger when they went third party. Take those "but their games would sell well on PS/XBOX/PC" comments and stow it. Look at the bigger freaking picture.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

To @Lucianu, it isn't true to say they had anything in their grasp with wii. The wii was never going to be a long term success. It was a gimmick and a craze. It is one of the most unloved consoles of all time, outside of a few of the most loyal Nintendo fans a laughing stock derided for cheap party games. You may have a point about N64 and GC not being outright failures, but they were certainly lost ground over previous gens and turned Nintendo from the kings of gaming to relative bit parters, and with the people who spend the most money overall and give the most support over all, even during the wii gen this has never changed.

Disagree, they let it become a fad because they didn't put more effort in securing the casuals to their brand. Nintendo didn't know what to do wen the Wii's momentum crawled to a halt in 2010. I know fully well of its reputation (eh, i don't give a shit about its reputation. It's a great console), and actually Nintendo's reputation as a whole amongst mainstream consumers is heavily damaged and is yet another reason why sales have been low for their consoles, but that's another story which i'm not in the right mood of discussing right now.

The WiiU, on the other hand, should have never existed in this shape and form. God, what a poorly marketed piece of hardware, it's bewildering to me how pure shit the marketing campaign (the little it exists) has been from day 1, in that it managed to actually confuse consumers regarding it and dissipate any chance of consumer awareness for it thanks to the fact that people thought it was an accessory.

The WiiU is in a never ending circle of failure that Nintendo has created for it. Pure shit marketing -> no consumer awareness -> no sales -> abysmal market share -> no 3rd party support -> people aren't buying it because it has no 3rd party support / people aren't buying it because they aren't aware of it.

Let's hope the NX is on a good road.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Here's a chart

http://gonintendo.com/stories/239544-nintendo-stock-continues-its-resurgence

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Double Posted

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@chikenfriedrice said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

@freedomfreak: Oh, you mean that beaoch from Witcher. Tell me that pu$$y wasn't on a pedestal.

Yennifer is better than Triss! And better looking too!

Ahhh I like Triss better.......now both together would have been cool, I didn't play my cards right I guess.

I don't know bro, Yennefer's cosplay look a lot sexy as hell! I'm a sucker for women wearing Thigh High stockings

I wonder what @freedomfreak thinks?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

its rubicks cube watching you try to justfify wii's existance into your slanted view of nintendo.

this is how it is guys...but the wii? oh dont worry about that.... that was a glitch in the matrix...

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

What was competing with the NES? Nothing. What was competing with the SNES? Sega with the Genesis and NEC with the tg16? N64? Saturn and Playstation, and in a way the looming Dreamcast. This isn't the sole reason for a decreased number of units sold, but that graph is not accurate as it is short of information.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: I'm not hating that

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 DocSanchez

@Heirren: It is 100% entirely accurate. What you don't like is that it doesn't specifically give all of your personal complaints to it. I.e. that, LOL, the N64 was competing with "the looming dreamcast" which is bollocks.

At what point on a graph do you write that text?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 DocSanchez

@KBFloYd: The fact that Nintendo actively boasted about it's new audience of grandparents and soccer moms means nothing to you does it? Or the fact that one E3, they led with wii music and offered nothing for, well, anyone here.

All the proof I need is in the sales of the wii u. The very worst yet. The grandparents, soccer moms and pubs and bars didn't jump on board. No one continued with the (awful) motion control template. It was done. Forgotten.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#80 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@KBFloYd: The fact that Nintendo actively boasted about it's new audience of grandparents and soccer moms means nothing to you does it? Or the fact that one E3, they led with wii music and offered nothing for, well, anyone here.

All the proof I need is in the sales of the wii u. The very worst yet. The grandparents, soccer moms and pubs and bars didn't jump on board. No one continued with the (awful) motion control template. It was done. Forgotten.

nintendo killed the wiimote not anyone else...

i guess they felt they are a core game company first.....they are known to not listen to anyone be stubborn....either iwata or myamoto though that motion controls was not the way they wanted to go further so they stopped it...

the wiiU could have easily been a wii2....but they decided to go back to "core" gamming.

it was their choice...for better or worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@DocSanchez said:

nintendo killed the wiimote not anyone else...

It would be a terrible waste for NX not to have a wii mote like controller on the side, it's great for so many games. It's the only reason I play COD now.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Only Nintendo could manage to sell a console at limping-snail speed and still make a profit.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@KBFloYd said:
@DocSanchez said:

Tiny sales for the wii u, but considering how cheap the tech is and how expensive they are selling it, they still make a profit. Not good for the fans because the tech is so shit and over priced but people still celebrate a corporation cheating them.

Revenue is not good. 10 million sales. Jesus Christ. That's alarming.Take the wii out and every gen they get worse.

thats where hater logic like yours and others fails....the wii...

if only the wii didn't exist.

If the Wii Didn't exist, they would be dead

no....no they wouldn't. This is why im barely here anymore(besides finishing college and getting ready to start a career at a young age).

Do ANY of you know how business works? Like im really fucking curious

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

@Heirren: It is 100% entirely accurate. What you don't like is that it doesn't specifically give all of your personal complaints to it. I.e. that, LOL, the N64 was competing with "the looming dreamcast" which is bollocks.

At what point on a graph do you write that text?

That graph does not show the market. It doesn't show the competition.

*I mentioned the Dreamcast because the N64 launched in sept/oct of 1996 in the US. The Dreamcast was first shown in japan in 1998 I believe. This news was in US magazines. If one is gearing up to purchase a console in 1997/8, it is normal to look at the options. With a new Sega console known to be right around the corner I'd say that is competition.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By DocSanchez

@Heirren: It doesn't need to show the market or the competition to be right. The fact that it doesn't provide your personal commentary does not negate the facts it provides. Of course there is context, but its a sales graph and it is correct.