Nintendo Plans to Sell 35 Million Wii Consoles in U.S. by 2012

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MARIOSDAD_basic
MARIOSDAD_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MARIOSDAD_basic
Member since 2002 • 1067 Posts

WOW thats alot :twisted:

May 22 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co. expects to sell as many as 35 million Wii video-game consoles in the U.S., close to the record 38.2 million PlayStation 2 players sold by Sony Corp.

The company will reach its goal by 2011 or 2012, George Harrison, marketing chief at Nintendo of America Inc., a unit of Kyoto-based Nintendo Co., said in an interview today.

Nintendo is increasing Wii production at factories in China to meet demand, Harrison said from Seattle. The company has sold 2.5 million Wii players in the U.S. since the console was introduced in November, making it the top-seller among the newest generation of machines.

``Demand is much greater than we anticipated,'' Harrison said. ``A year ago no one thought we would be in this position.''

U.S. consumers have purchased 1.3 million PlayStation 3s since it was introduced two days ahead of Wii. Microsoft Corp. has sold 5.4 million Xbox 360s, released in 2005, according to market researcher NPD Group Inc., based in Port Washington, New York.

The older PlayStation 2 remains popular, outselling both the PS3 and Xbox 360 in April. Consumers bought 194,000 PS2s during the month, according to NPD. That compares with 174,000 Xbox 360s and 82,000 PS3s. Wii was No. 1 at 360,000 units.

Demand for the PS2, introduced in 2000, has been bolstered by price cuts and the popularity of games such as Activision Inc.'s ``Guitar Hero.'' The console sells for $149.

Pricing also has helped sell the Wii. At $249, it costs less than half the price of a PlayStation 3 and is about $50 less than the cheapest Xbox 360. Nintendo has no plans to sell Wii for less, Harrison said.

New Games

Nintendo yesterday announced 14 new games for Wii, including the in-house title ``Mario Strikers Charged'' and ``Boogie,'' which allows players to sing and dance to music videos. The new games will be released in the third quarter.

Nintendo will continue to focus on titles that attract people who typically don't play video games. That means there's little reason for the company to upgrade the console with more powerful chips or better graphics, Harrison said.

``We're starting to see in the performance of the PS3 and Xbox 360 that that's not necessarily motivating the market the way it used to,'' he said. ``So we're going to start work on future technology only when we believe it's necessary.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael White in Los Angeles at

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aL9z9P81ssuk&refer=japan

kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kingsy_the_one
Member since 2003 • 4354 Posts
That's alot of Wii's, and angry Cows/Lems..
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
haha...Nintendo's being modest....they're going to sale more than 35 million by that time, and they know it.
Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts
that kinda of low compare to the ps2 did in that time
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
haha...Nintendo's being modest....they're going to sale more than 35 million by that time, and they know it. majadamus
indeed.
NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NorthlandMan
Member since 2007 • 2302 Posts
jesus christ, that'd take it to about 80 mill worldwide
Avatar image for distrbdslipsoad
distrbdslipsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 distrbdslipsoad
Member since 2004 • 17458 Posts
that goal will be swept up in a couple years :P
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts

that kinda of low compare to the ps2 did in that timeTnasty11

Mostly everything nowadays is low compared to "What ps2 did" in their time.

lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

i bet they sell more than that

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Nintendo will continue to focus on titles that attract people who typically don't play video games. That means there's little reason for the company to upgrade the console with more powerful chips or better graphics, Harrison said.

``We're starting to see in the performance of the PS3 and Xbox 360 that that's not necessarily motivating the market the way it used to,'' he said. ``So we're going to start work on future technology only when we believe it's necessary.''

MARIOSDAD_basic

QFT

wouldnt surprise me if it sold more then 35 million the wii is selling very fast

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts

PS2 in US after 6 years: 38.2 million
Wii in US after 6 years (planned): ~ 35 million

Teh differance!!1! :shock:

coltonnaslund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 coltonnaslund
Member since 2005 • 3793 Posts
Haha.....50 Million EASY by then!!!
tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts
i doubt they will make it.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
I'm going to predict that sales will peak at about 20 million units in NA. No, no, no accolades just yet. Its simply a prediction. Save your applause for 2012.
Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts
if you fanboys like they will sell over 35 million in the us not worldwide by 6 years you are crazy or just wannabe Future readers
colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts
I wonder how many consoles they'll sell after the luster wears off and people realize that the wii is Kentucky Fried Garbage... with zero games no less...
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kittykatz5k

I wonder how many consoles they'll sell after everything I say becomes a reality
colmusterd28

When pigs fly.

AlumaProDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlumaProDave
Member since 2005 • 458 Posts
This all depends if the novelty of this system never wares off. If it does not, then it will sell more than 35 mil.
colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 colmusterd28

[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]I wonder how many consoles they'll sell after everything I say becomes a reality
kittykatz5k

When donkeys crawl.

see... I can change quotes too...

C'mon... you don't seriously believe that the wii is gonna maintain interest in most gamers do you? Not to mention Nintendo is just gonna keep pushing and pushing those dates back... 

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="Tnasty11"]that kinda of low compare to the ps2 did in that timekittykatz5k

Mostly everything nowadays is low compared to "What ps2 did" in their time.

Actually, the PS2 managed only 38 million in the US in the same time period, so that's pretty impressive. :P
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kittykatz5k
[QUOTE="kittykatz5k"]

[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]I wonder how many consoles they'll sell after everything I say becomes a reality
colmusterd28

When pigs fly!

C'mon... you don't seriously believe that the wii is gonna maintain interest in most gamers do you? Not to mention Nintendo is just gonna keep pushing and pushing those dates back... 

Dates of what back? I believe intrest will not only stay consistant, but will sharply increase!

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"][QUOTE="kittykatz5k"]

kittykatz5k

When donkeys crawl!!

Dates of what back? I believe intrest will not only stay consistant, but will sharply increase!

what could possibly give you that idea... I mean realisticly there is a gimicky feel to the wii... People wanted to have it to try it out but when nintendo underdelivers in the game department all your left with is a $250 gimick and wii sports... I can't see the wii increasing its demand... matter of fact I think it will fall off sharply in N.A. as for Japan... who knows what there thinking... so many of us claim ownage in Japan and most of those games we don't ever even see... totaly different world. 

Krudus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krudus
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
unbelievable? believe it.
gamespot813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamespot813
Member since 2006 • 1068 Posts
[QUOTE="kittykatz5k"][QUOTE="colmusterd28"][QUOTE="kittykatz5k"]

colmusterd28

When donkeys crawl!!

what could possibly give you that idea... I mean realisticly there is a gimicky feel to the wii... People wanted to have it to try it out but when nintendo underdelivers in the game department all your left with is a $250 gimick and wii sports... I can't see the wii increasing its demand... matter of fact I think it will fall off sharply in N.A. as for Japan... who knows what there thinking... so many of us claim ownage in Japan and most of those games we don't ever even see... totaly different world. 

You must've never played the Wii if you call it a gimmick. You can call the DS a gimmick but not the Wii... But whatever, call it whatever you want, but it's still selling. It will sell 35 million so don't you worry.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Wii can only meet the ridiculous aspirations that it's supporters have for it if sales never slow down. And they WILL slow down, mark my words.
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kittykatz5k
[QUOTE="kittykatz5k"][QUOTE="colmusterd28"][QUOTE="kittykatz5k"]

colmusterd28

When donkeys crawl!!

DS never picked up it's sales until it's amazing games came out the holiday season after release. This is the same.

Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hockey_Slayer
Member since 2004 • 3213 Posts
Imho I think they will sell more then this by that time. 35 million is good to hear though =)
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Haha.....50 Million EASY by then!!!coltonnaslund

This is US sales - not worldwide...

if you fanboys like they will sell over 35 million in the us not worldwide by 6 years you are crazy or just wannabe Future readersTnasty11

My campus newspaper is called the Future... though, like most college papers, it's mostly used to line bird cages, as a makeshift umbrella, and as a nice one-liner for comedians who come to campus.

Seriously though... we'll see how sales hold up - once you've reached a certain sales momentum, it's hard to stop - look at the PS2, it became so ubiquitous that despite being on the lamer side of hardware it hung in there. The Wii may gain those sales, I dunno, right now it doesn't offer a lot, but if Animal Crossing and Pikmin were on it... might be a little more tempting.
Kalel559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -8

#29 Kalel559
Member since 2003 • 9621 Posts
I think Nintendo is very smart this time around. They've definitely learned how to predict market trends.
alecsuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alecsuba
Member since 2005 • 2717 Posts

Nintendo is definetly pulling the conservative card on this just like the expected sales for FY 07. They anticipate only 11 million shipped for FY07 in the goals for FY 07 whileactual  shipping is  upto 17 million based on production numbers.

One thing Nintendo Does is always underestimates. It makes them look that much better when goal exceeded.  

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
I could see that.
casinater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 casinater
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I wonder how many consoles they'll sell after the luster wears off and people realize that the wii is Kentucky Fried Garbage... with zero games no less...
colmusterd28

Zero games Huh?

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Fire Emblem Goddess of Dawn

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

Madden (with motion controls)

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I can keep going....

RedLobsterpwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RedLobsterpwns
Member since 2007 • 469 Posts

[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]I wonder how many consoles they'll sell after the luster wears off and people realize that the wii is Kentucky Fried Garbage... with zero games no less...
casinater

Zero games Huh?

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Fire Emblem Goddess of Dawn

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

Madden (with motion controls)

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

I can keep going....

While everything colmusterd28 said was speculation based on arrogence and stupidity, the wii doesnt really have many great games. Around half the games you listed arent out yet. Also, i seriously doubt that the sales will slow down for a while. Back when the wii first came out people said "The Sales will slow down in a month or two." 3 months later "Just you wait till next month when (insert game here) comes out! then you'll see." Now, six months later its "Just you wait till next holiday season when (insert list of games) comes out! Then you'll see." The wiis still go out of stock within hours(if not minutes) of the stores opening. I doubt this trend will stop for a while.

Silvereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Silvereign
Member since 2006 • 3006 Posts
I swear Im going to vomit if another game with the names Mario or Zelda in their titles is announced by the Nintendo. God party games, Mario games, Zelda games, a little pokemon, some kiddy games and throws in some terrible cheesy spinoffs and you got the Wii's library. 
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

The wii's current library is not that strong, admittedly, but I think it is respectable.

Games anyone could enjoy:

Twilight Princess (best version), Super Paper Mario, Warioware, Wiisports, Trauma Center

Games that are a matter of taste:

Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, Godfather, SSX, Madden, Elebits

Games that deserve a rent (more particular taste and patience):

red steel, call of duty 3, Dragonball Z, Marvel Alliance

I've played all these games except for dragon ball, marvel, madden and elebits.  I would say red steel and cod3 have glimmers of greatness with the wiimote controls, although the games ultimately suck

ZinkOxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZinkOxide
Member since 2006 • 633 Posts
Don't forget, Animal Crossing next year-ish, Zelda in like late 2009-2010, new utilizations of the VC suff, and the rest of the long range business... 2007 is already going to be an awesome year with the big 3, Disaster, Project HAMMER, and everything else in the fall.  Plus new colors are going to arrive sometime, and that's always a nice sales boost.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

I swear Im going to vomit if another game with the names Mario or Zelda in their titles is announced by the Nintendo. God party games, Mario games, Zelda games, a little pokemon, some kiddy games and throws in some terrible cheesy spinoffs and you got the Wii's library.  Silvereign

god i love you fanboys think you know everything

rub a duck anyone.... oh nevermind that on ps3

little big planet anyone.... never mind thats on ps3 as well KIDDY

chessy spinoffs? looks at all console have chessy spinoffs

"relasitc baseall mlb show 07 :lol: - sony commerical it dosent even look great just looks like ps2 verison....

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts

that's it?

they are on track to sell almost half of that by 2008. :?

Silvereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Silvereign

[QUOTE="Silvereign"]I swear Im going to vomit if another game with the names Mario or Zelda in their titles is announced by the Nintendo. God party games, Mario games, Zelda games, a little pokemon, some kiddy games and throws in some terrible cheesy spinoffs and you got the Wii's library. wavebrid

"relasitc baseall mlb show 07 :lol: - sony commerical it dosent even look great just looks like ps2 verison....

Dewy's adventure and Wing Island anyone? Pokemon staduim and Cooking Mama anyone? Their's a difference between having a variety of games and a few kiddy titles then have little diversity and mostly kiddie titles. Let's use are common sense please.

Yes The resident evil game comming out for the Wii is going to flop HARD and hyping it is a serious mistake. 

alecsuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alecsuba
[QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="Silvereign"]I swear Im going to vomit if another game with the names Mario or Zelda in their titles is announced by the Nintendo. God party games, Mario games, Zelda games, a little pokemon, some kiddy games and throws in some terrible cheesy spinoffs and you got the Wii's library. Silvereign

Dewy's adventure and Wing Island anyone? Pokemon staduim and Cooking Mama anyone? Their's a difference between having a variety of games and a few kiddy titles then have little diversity and mostly kiddie titles. Let's use are common sense please.

Yes The resident evil game comming out for the Wii is going to flop HARD and hyping it is a serious mistake. 

Thats funny RE4 on the GC sold nearly the same as RE4 on the PS2 while having a userbase 1/5th the size. So obviously your assumption is wrong.

Cooking Mama like brain age is the Touch generation newpeople style game. You can hate it and thats your option but its not nintendo trying to force everyone to have it. and as far as Dewey Looks like a reasonable platformer style game.

Last_Stand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Last_Stand
Member since 2004 • 3281 Posts
Really doubt that 15 percent of the American population is going to own a Wii. Love to see it, but doubt it.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts

i bet they sell more than that

lazzordude

i would imagine so.

they will get that much and then some easy 

alecsuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 alecsuba

[QUOTE="Tnasty11"]that kinda of low compare to the ps2 did in that timenintendo-4life

PS2 accrued it's 38 million sales in 6.5 years, Wii is being projected to do 35M in 5.2 years, which is in fact a higher rate.

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

Really doubt that 15 percent of the American population is going to own a Wii. Love to see it, but doubt it.Last_Stand

It's not too unbelievable.  North America never stopped loving the Nintendo brand.

The only Nintendo home console that ever did poorly in North America was the GameCube.

Hell, N64 actually did better than SNES in North America.  NA loved that machine even though it flopped in the rest of the world.

When you look at the Wii's unprecedented start in North America, and combine that with the software support that victory in Japan provides, you see that the sky is the limit for this Nintendo console. 

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
no way.  ps2 had that dvd player going for it.  Now, the wii would have to survive on merit alone.  I'm as woolly as the next sheep but I can't believe this
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendo-4life"][QUOTE="Tnasty11"]that kinda of low compare to the ps2 did in that timealecsuba

PS2 accrued it's 38 million sales in 6.5 years, Wii is being projected to do 35M in 5.2 years, which is in fact a higher rate.

Silvereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Silvereign
[QUOTE="Silvereign"][QUOTE="wavebrid"]

[QUOTE="Silvereign"]I swear Im going to vomit if another game with the names Mario or Zelda in their titles is announced by the Nintendo. God party games, Mario games, Zelda games, a little pokemon, some kiddy games and throws in some terrible cheesy spinoffs and you got the Wii's library. alecsuba

Thats funny RE4 on the GC sold nearly the same as RE4 on the PS2 while having a userbase 1/5th the size. So obviously your assumption is wrong.

Cooking Mama like brain age is the Touch generation newpeople style game. You can hate it and thats your option but its not nintendo trying to force everyone to have it. and as far as Dewey Looks like a reasonable platformer style game.

What are you talking about???????????

Who said anything about Resident Evil 4. Last time I checked that wasn't a cheesy spinoff. I was talking about Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles for the WIi.. 

yeah... right...