Nintendo Planning Year Long Marketing Campaign for MK8

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

Nintendo’s marketing campaign for Mario Kart 8 will run until the end of the year, the firm says.

It is already underway with a social media programme designed to get gamers nostalgic about classic Mario Kart moments.

This will lead into a launch campaign, which includes online and TV activity and will run from May 30th (the game’s launch) right up until the end of the year.

“To herald the launch of the most hotly anticipated Wii U title to date we will have marketing activity pre-launch as well as post-launch moving through the summer and into peak season,” said Nintendo UK’s Mario brand manager Roger Langford.

“For the first time in HD, Mario Kart 8 introduces original course designs that highlight the game’s new anti-gravity feature, which allows players to race upside down or up vertical surfaces. This adds a whole new dimension to the racing.”

SOURCE

Nintendo actually getting Wii U related marketing right? What reality is this?

#2 Posted by Desmonic (13424 posts) -

!! :O

inb4 a couple of useless and lackluster TV ads :P

#3 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

As long as Smash gets a bigger one, this sounds fine and smart.

#4 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6986 posts) -

It seems kind of odd to not start marketing the game before its launch date.

#5 Edited by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

“To herald the launch of the most hotly anticipated Wii U title to date we will have marketing activity pre-launch as well as post-launch moving through the summer and into peak season,” said Nintendo UK’s Mario brand manager Roger Langford.

#6 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6986 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yeah, but the tv and online activity doesn't start until May 30. Their other marketing is probably something like a Nintendo Direct. The only people who watch those are already going to purchase Mario Kart 8 at launch.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yeah, but the tv and online activity doesn't start until May 30. Their other marketing is probably something like a Nintendo Direct. The only people who watch those are already going to purchase Mario Kart 8 at launch.

I think they mean they will continue their TV campaign post launch, not that they will start it post launch, but I might be wrong.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (29514 posts) -

Marketing it until Chrismas?

That's madness!

#9 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7206 posts) -

I suppose it's a start. Whether the marketing campaign will be worth a damn has yet to be seen.

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (39185 posts) -

Well, people love Mario Kart, so it's good that they're letting those people know that there's one available.

#11 Edited by Desmonic (13424 posts) -

Here's how Ninty should market the MK8 bundle and get some juicy stealth sales... >.>....

Dem Paint skillzz, yo!

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Here's how Ninty should market the MK8 bundle and get some juicy stealth sales... >.>....

Dem Paint skillzz, yo!

Shop the PS4 console over the Wii U ffs, come on Desmonic, do it properly

#13 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17341 posts) -

This game looks like the business. Hands down my most anticipated release this year so far.

#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

Nintendo is not as dumb as we think. Sure they messed up their launch year, but still, it's far from over.

#15 Posted by Desmonic (13424 posts) -

@charizard1605: I've no skillzzz! :P

I'm pretty noobish at this stuff, really haha XD

#16 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17341 posts) -

Nintendo is not as dumb as we think. Sure they messed up their launch year, but still, it's far from over.

If they can turn around the 3DS then nothing is impossible.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

This game looks like the business. Hands down my most anticipated release this year so far.

Absolutely. If you had told me last year that my most anticipated game would be fucking Mario Kart, I would have laughed, but man this game looks absolutely amazing.

I disagree :P

As for this game and the Wii U, I am sure it will help, but I seriously don't see it jolting the system out of last place, for example. I just hope it saves it from a ghastly sub 10 million sold worldwide LTD, though.

#18 Edited by Desmonic (13424 posts) -
#19 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16840 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Absolutely. If you had told me last year that my most anticipated game would be fucking Mario Kart, I would have laughed, but man this game looks absolutely amazing.

@SolidGame_basic said:

As for this game and the Wii U, I am sure it will help, but I seriously don't see it jolting the system out of last place, for example. I just hope it saves it from a ghastly sub 10 million sold worldwide LTD, though.

I think we can all agree that I'd pwn you both in MK

#20 Edited by aroxx_ab (9276 posts) -

Hope Mario kart 8 is not all WiiU got this whole year... :(

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

@aroxx_ab said:

Hope Mario kart 8 is not all WiiU got this whole year... :(

Man, do you all even pay attention? The Wii U already has like four other exclusives confirmed for this year including Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros. Why make a useless comment like this at all?

#22 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

That will definitely help. Wii-U's going to get a shot in the arm. Only question is how much of a shot it will be.

#23 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

If they can turn around the 3DS then nothing is impossible.

Who are you and what have you done with Bread_or_Decide

#24 Edited by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think we can all agree that I'd pwn you both in MK

If I am as bad at this as I am at Mario Kart 7, that won't be too difficult for you :P

#25 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24913 posts) -

This is Marketing Right?

This is more like Marketing the only game Nintendo has for the WiiU all year.

#26 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22424 posts) -
#27 Posted by charizard1605 (56051 posts) -

This is Marketing Right?

Definitely. I mean, it's not like Hyrule Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2, and freaking Smash Bros. aren't all confirmed for this year as well. Mario Kart 8 is it.

#28 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24913 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: ever hear of a little thing called smash bros?

ever hear a thing called Winter 2014 that can stretch to February 2015?

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is Marketing Right?

Definitely. I mean, it's not like Hyrule Warriors, X, Bayonetta 2, and freaking Smash Bros. aren't all confirmed for this year as well. Mario Kart 8 is it.

Yeah I mean it's not like we're going to be waiting 3-4 month intervals between each and everyone of them. BTW Smash Bros. 3DS will release in the end of August. That's still technically Summer!

#29 Edited by foxhound_fox (87691 posts) -

Nostalgia made NSMB a massive franchise.

This could be the thing that reinvigorates the U... like I've been predicting since it went flaccid on launch.

#30 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16127 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is Marketing Right?

Hyrule Warriors? People are getting excited for dynasty warrior products now?

#31 Posted by Big_Pecks (5245 posts) -

There's nothing else to advertise until SSB4.

#32 Edited by foxhound_fox (87691 posts) -

Uhh...

#33 Posted by drummerdave9099 (652 posts) -

Let's gooooooooo!!!

#34 Posted by Big_Pecks (5245 posts) -

@Big_Pecks said:

Uhh...

Bayonetta isn't Nintendo's own though.

#35 Posted by Bardock47 (5239 posts) -

Excited for MK8, probably will have a get together with a bunch of friends for it. I'm more pumped for smash.....just hope that Snake returns, even though my gut tells me its pretty slim.

#36 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26274 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Big_Pecks said:

Uhh...

No, but they have a pretty big responsibility with it because they funded the damn game.

#37 Posted by MirkoS77 (7165 posts) -

Well at least they're marketing. Maybe the are getting the message that it is wise to invest in promoting their product.

#38 Posted by superbuuman (2684 posts) -

Let's hope they do it for exclusives like Bayonetta 2 & Hyrule Warriors too..not just their own games. :p

#39 Edited by Sweenix (5398 posts) -

It won't change the fate of the wii u

It's dead regardless.

#40 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2525 posts) -

But Nintendo doesn't know how to market anymore.

Seriously though, that's good. MK will probably be the WiiU highest selling game. If Bayonetta 2 really comes out this year, then that is when I will be getting a WiiU.

#41 Posted by Kjranu (921 posts) -

Nintendo’s marketing campaign for Mario Kart 8 will run until the end of the year, the firm says.

It is already underway with a social media programme designed to get gamers nostalgic about classic Mario Kart moments.

This will lead into a launch campaign, which includes online and TV activity and will run from May 30th (the game’s launch) right up until the end of the year.

“For the first time in HD, Mario Kart 8 introduces original course designs that highlight the game’s new anti-gravity feature, which allows players to race upside down or up vertical surfaces. This adds a whole new dimension to the racing.”

SOURCE

Nintendo actually getting Wii U related marketing right? What reality is this?

It's kind of sad that Nintendo's only hot game is a kart racing game though.

#42 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5318 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

This is Marketing Right?

Hope Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem isn't canned.

#43 Posted by DocSanchez (1566 posts) -

Bring back the family with the dancing kid. Nintendo marketing is always sooooo good.

#44 Posted by foxhound_fox (87691 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Big_Pecks said:

Uhh...

It's being funded and published by Nintendo. It's like Banjo Kazooie was on the N64. Not first party, but big enough and important enough that they need to get behind it 100%.

#45 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

I haven't seen a good commercial for a Nintendo product in years. I literally can't remember single Nintendo ad I've seen that was decent. They really need to work on that.

Like one ad saw actually had the family and kids playing tenis with the wii mote to start off with, then ends as a wii-u commercial... No wonder the damn thing didn't sell most people think it's the wii.

#46 Edited by wolverine4262 (19050 posts) -

Its nice to see Ninty spending some of their money, but I cant help thinking that it would be better spent elsewhere. Things like new ips, reviving old ips, a competent online infrastructure and UI, etc.

#47 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6954 posts) -

Marketing it until Chrismas?

That's madness!

Sony could learn from this.

#48 Posted by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

Seems like only yesterday that Nintendo wasn't getting the best version of Mortal Kombat. Now they are spending a year of marketing budget on the series.

#49 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26274 posts) -

Seems like only yesterday that Nintendo wasn't getting the best version of Mortal Kombat. Now they are spending a year of marketing budget on the series.

I see what you did there. :P

#50 Posted by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

I see what you did there. :P

^_^