deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I want you to close your eyes and imagine you're on an island. This island is all yours and on this island there is whatever you want there to be. What would you name this island? XVision85?

No, because that would be stupid and unoriginal. This is the Sony problem. Playstation 1...2...3...4..5.. can they think of nothing better? Microsoft is arguably worse with their SAD Edition and Xbox One.

In comes Nintendo, the savior of mediocre naming.

Nintendo Wii. BRILLIANT! It's a striking metaphor that refers to the unity of the human experience. We are a social species centered around the "we" and gaming is one medium that brings us all together regardless of nationality.

Nintendo Wii U. Genius. It's bringing the power of "we" to YOU, on the go. Only at your home. This is because it isn't for them, in public, only you.

Nintendo switch. An innovative name crafted alongside the groundbreaking portable design. Simple. Elegant. Refreshing. Like a sip of fresh water after wading through a barren humid desert of washed up mediocrity.

I look forward to seeing Nintendo's future brilliance. Meanwhile y'all can wait for PS6.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45313 Posts

I think it's universally agreed that "Wii U" was a dumb idea and confused customers from a marketing perspective. It sounded like a peripheral for the original Wii than it did a new console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@SolidGame_basic: Solid, do you think picasso never made a bad painting in the eyes of the public? Did Mozart never make a poor musical piece to the ears of his fans?

Innovation can occasionally lead to failure, but it's a step forward. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wii U was ahead of its time.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64... then Wii (horrible) and Wii-U (equally horrible). Yeah... real original.

Know why the Wii-U was called that instead of the Wii 2? Because 2 in Japanese is ni. Meaning a bunch of Japanese people would be walking around in game stores asking for a Wii-ni (pronounced Weenie).

Best naming conventions was Sega.

Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, 32X, Sega CD, Nomad, Neptune, Saturn, Dreamcast.

Great names regardless of their lack of success.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

PlayStation is perfect. It’s a station you play at. Simple and effective.

Numbering it makes it easier to understand. No one is confused. We know the next PlayStation is PS5 and hype can be built.

Nintendo and Xbox names are all over the place.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Yeah, Nintendo Switch. Named after a gimick they have removed for their cheap model.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@XVision84: Surely you can troll better than this right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@i_p_daily: No, this is my peak power. Still better than your trolling though ???

Now go back to hugging kangaroos ya crying aussie. Leave the trolling to the pros ??

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

PlayStation is the lowest common denominator platform. Make it simple, make it shinny and people will come.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Interesting thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@XVision84 said:

@i_p_daily: No, this is my peak power. Still better than your trolling though ???

Now go back to hugging kangaroos ya crying aussie. Leave the trolling to the pros ??

Yeah you're a real pro at trolling and yet there's what 11 posts (including this one) in this thread lol.

A pro you say...

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Vita means life!

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Nah Sony does it right. 1,2,3,4,5. Makes generations easy to understand.

Nintendo Wii, Wii U. What was that shit show that happened because they added a U and people couldn't understand.
Nintendo Switch: Oh because you can "switch" between TV and handheld, WTF they added a lite that doesn't connect to the TV, why is it still called a switch then?

MS. Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox one. WTF were they thinking. I get the "one" means that it's meant to do everything but people are really that dumb they won't understand.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

PlayStation - PlayStation 4 make sense.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

You lost all the credibility the moment you praised the Wii U name.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I like Nintendo's console names. "Wii" is probably my least favorite, though.

Sony's naming makes sense. Doesn't mean it's fun, but it works for them. Why change what works?

Microsoft though. Xbox 360? Xbox One? Hell, "Xbox" sounds ridiculous. They definitely could've done better. Gonna be interesting to see what their next will be called.

Gotta say, SEGA's consoles sound pretty cool.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I've seen several media outlets complaining about the Switch Lite name, but I haven't really heard any suggestion that would have been a better (clearer) name for it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Sega were the kings of naming consoles. Nintendo definitely slipped up with the Wii and Wii u it was a marketing nightmare.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS sounds cool but then u get the DS XL, DSi, DS lite, 3DSXL, n3DS, 2DS, n2DS, n3DSXL. Wtf

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56269 Posts
@adsparky said:

You lost all the credibility the moment you praised the Wii U name.

All my years of gaming, I have never ever meet anyone who says, Wii U is the best name ever kind of thing.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Wont have this. Nintendo has nearly always been behind in names.

NES was okay, simple and effective, personally preferred master system but that's just nostalgia as I owned one.

SNES was dull, while the competitor went with Mega Drive or Genesis they popped an S in front of their existing name.

N64? Up against Playstation or Saturn? Nah. The bit wars were last gen fam, and the N64 had several disadvantages just not being on CD.

Gamecube? Game=play station=cube. Just trying to copy Sony, but it wasn't a great name, or design. Liked the library though, even though the controller was one of the worst ever.

Then we come to the WORST names in history.

Wii. In my dialect, it means piss.There's no getting away from that. Also, it sounds just wiik. Embarrassing. They advertised it in the most vanilla, old person way, and while it sold a load of consoles, it affected them a lot later as it was a craze, and crazes never last.

Wii U. What can I say? You have a chance to remove the albatross from around your neck and instead you stick lipstick on it. Wii U, the most confusing sequel name (people thought it was an add on) and still had the wii name in it. Even after the craze died. It sold dogshit and almost ended Nintendo.

I think the switch is a fairly decent brand name. It's doing better than Microsoft, as Xbox One is one of the most confusing names for a console of all time. Why is it one? Its not the first one. What do we call the first one? Xbox? Nah, that's the brand for the whole series.

Sony has this right. Simple, clear brand, everyone knows what it is and where we are up to.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts
@XVision84 said:

I want you to close your eyes and imagine you're on an island. This island is all yours and on this island there is whatever you want there to be. What would you name this island? XVision85?

No, because that would be stupid and unoriginal. This is the Sony problem. Playstation 1...2...3...4..5.. can they think of nothing better? Microsoft is arguably worse with their SAD Edition and Xbox One.

In comes Nintendo, the savior of mediocre naming.

Nintendo Wii. BRILLIANT! It's a striking metaphor that refers to the unity of the human experience. We are a social species centered around the "we" and gaming is one medium that brings us all together regardless of nationality.

Nintendo Wii U. Genius. It's bringing the power of "we" to YOU, on the go. Only at your home. This is because it isn't for them, in public, only you.

Nintendo switch. An innovative name crafted alongside the groundbreaking portable design. Simple. Elegant. Refreshing. Like a sip of fresh water after wading through a barren humid desert of washed up mediocrity.

I look forward to seeing Nintendo's future brilliance. Meanwhile y'all can wait for PS6.

What can be better than Vita? Vita means life bro!

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

NES was okay, simple and effective, personally preferred master system but that's just nostalgia as I owned one.

SNES was dull, while the competitor went with Mega Drive or Genesis they popped an S in front of their existing name.

Ignoring the rest of your drivel, you do realize that the name of the console wasn't NES or SNES, right?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:
@DocSanchez said:

Ignoring the rest of your drivel, you do realize that the name of the console wasn't NES or SNES, right?

LOL. Someone is salty. They were referred to as both of those things during their heyday by everyone up to and including Nintendo. So yes, I know this was an abbreviation. And yes, that's completely irrelevant. Unless you are prepared to say you have never typed those letters out when referring to those consoles, you don't even have a minor point.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Playstation Vita - kill its support after a year.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Gameboy sounds a little weird. Should have named it Portable Nintendo Entertainment System (PNES) instead.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@XVision84: I thought you're taking a 3 week break?

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Whoa not even 1% of 1& true.

Avatar image for superretrogamer
SuperRetroGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SuperRetroGamer
Member since 2018 • 65 Posts

What about Atari?

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Atari 400

Atari 800

Atari 600XL

Atari 800XL

Atari 1200XL

Atari 65XE

Atari 130XE

Atari 520ST

Atari 1040ST

Great and origanal names. I close my eyes and try to choose one of these names for my island :D