Nintendo manages to screw up the Wii U virtual console launch.

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/23/nintendo-announces-launch-lineup-for-virtual-console-on-wii-u/

Aside from Super Mario World there is nothing special out of the 8 games. 8 games? Pathetic.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26736 posts) -

Nothing special about the original F-Zero, one of the best games to demonstrate mode 7 on the SNES and has gameplay that holds up? Kirby's Adventure, one of the latest NES games, wasn't any good?

What?

EDIT: Also, F-Zero is the first Nintendo Digital Download ON WII U to be played in 60HZ for EU Wii U owners AFTER complaints of playing other games in 50 HZ. THough Kirby's Adventure, from what I hear is the WU version "optimized" to be like the NA version, so I'm worried about that game.

#3 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Nothing special about the original F-Zero, one of the best games to demonstrate mode 7 on the SNES and has gameplay that holds up? Kirby's Adventure wasn't any good? What?charizard1605

SNES and NES games don't hold up at all. 

With every post you demonstrate that you're probably a seventeen year old who started gaming with GTA Vice City or something

With every post you demonstrate that you're probably a 35 yr old unemployed who still thinks hes gaming in his childhood days or something..
:P

The Wii:U virtual console line up is 'slim and trim'.

#4 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

i will never concider buying any 20 year old game for 5-8 bucks...

shouldn't cost no more then a dollar

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

g0ddyX

With every post you demonstrate that you're probably a seventeen year old who started gaming with GTA Vice City or something

With every post you demonstrate that you're probably a 35 yr old unemployed who still thinks hes gaming in his childhood days or something..
:P

The Wii:U virtual console line up is 'slim and trim'.

Lol. 35 years old, unemployed, and gaming in my childhood.

Lol.

#6 Posted by bbkkristian (14953 posts) -
Jeez haters are out of control.
#8 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

I know you hate good games TC but F-Zero and kirby adventure not good/special? You're so lame. Everything else is pretty good also.

#9 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3786 posts) -

Can somebody list out all the games that were mentioned? For some reason, that link is not working for me.

I have seen Excitebike, Punchout!, Super Mario World, and Donkry Kong Jr. What else is releasing?

I own about everything I have seen already, but the people saying the NES isn't relevant crack me up... I'm not a huge fan of excitebike.. never was. However, the NES has some GREAT games, and Punchout! is one of them.

Could someone list all 8 for me though? Thanks ahead of time.

**edit** I see F Zero and Kirby as well.. SO that is 6 of the 8 I have heard. I'm actually not a huge fan of these two games... then again, which kirby is it?

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/23/nintendo-announces-launch-lineup-for-virtual-console-on-wii-u/

Aside from Super Mario World there is nothing special out of the 8 games. 8 games? Pathetic.

timbers_WSU
How is that a screw up at all?
#11 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Nintendo can't even produce virtual games...

#12 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Nintendo is so pathetic.

#13 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

charizard1605

VC lineup is insultingly bad...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66032828

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

StrongBlackVine

VC lineup is insultingly bad...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66032828

Remember when Vita's PSN Classics launched last year in NA with 5 games, after being delayed for six months?
#15 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34149 posts) -

Do want F-zero.

#16 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Nothing special about the original F-Zero, one of the best games to demonstrate mode 7 on the SNES and has gameplay that holds up? Kirby's Adventure wasn't any good? What?nintendoboy16

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -
ExciteBike, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Kirby's Adventure, Donkey Kong Jr., and Punch-Out! This is a bad lineup to you? What would be a good lineup?
#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (29954 posts) -

Cows are so pathetic.

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Nothing special about the original F-Zero, one of the best games to demonstrate mode 7 on the SNES and has gameplay that holds up? Kirby's Adventure wasn't any good? What?NathanDrakeSwag

#20 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26736 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]ExciteBike, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Kirby's Adventure, Donkey Kong Jr., and Punch-Out! This is a bad lineup to you? What would be a good lineup?

If anything, Mario, F-Zero, and Kirby overshadow the rest.
#21 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

ExciteBike, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Kirby's Adventure, Donkey Kong Jr., and Punch-Out! This is a bad lineup to you? What would be a good lineup?charizard1605

What would be a good lineup? How about new games that don't involve 1980s cartoon mascots.

#22 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34149 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Nothing special about the original F-Zero, one of the best games to demonstrate mode 7 on the SNES and has gameplay that holds up? Kirby's Adventure wasn't any good? What?NathanDrakeSwag

NES you would have a point for the most part. SNES not so much.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]ExciteBike, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Kirby's Adventure, Donkey Kong Jr., and Punch-Out! This is a bad lineup to you? What would be a good lineup?NathanDrakeSwag

What would be a good lineup? How about new games that don't involve 1980s cartoon mascots.

You're like a broken record, aren't you?
#24 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]ExciteBike, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Kirby's Adventure, Donkey Kong Jr., and Punch-Out! This is a bad lineup to you? What would be a good lineup?

Much more than that. Most were already available for 30 cents so this blows.
#25 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Nothing special about the original F-Zero, one of the best games to demonstrate mode 7 on the SNES and has gameplay that holds up? Kirby's Adventure wasn't any good? What?charizard1605

Maybe if Nintendo made a game like Vice City they would attract real gamers instead of this:

5knHq7L.gif

#26 Posted by darkspineslayer (19708 posts) -
I either own already, or don't care about any of those games. I'm a bit disappointed, but I wouldn't call it bad. I just seriously hope they support the damn service this time. Wii VC ended up as a joke.
#27 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

NathanDrakeSwag

Maybe if Nintendo made a game like Vice City they would attract real gamers instead of this:

5knHq7L.gif

Selective bias. You're the very definition of it.
#28 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Not even a hater but that lineup while having quality games is simply not enough.  Only 5 games?  What the hell?

#29 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

NathanDrakeSwag

5knHq7L.gif

What is really sad is that this clip must have been the highlight of the time that family spend with the Wii U.

#30 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26736 posts) -

I either own already, or don't care about any of those games. I'm a bit disappointed, but I wouldn't call it bad. I just seriously hope they support the damn service this time. Wii VC ended up as a joke.darkspineslayer
Didn't exactly help that many of the games on the older systems faced licensing hell, like the majorite of Rare's games. Even DK64 is a mystery.

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] With every post you demonstrate that you're probably a seventeen year old who started gaming with GTA Vice City or somethingStrongBlackVine

5knHq7L.gif

What is really sad is that this clip must have been the highlight of the time that family spend with the Wii U.

You know, while you're generally trollish, I do expect you to be a bit more reasonable and level headed than NathanDrakeSwag and GD1551 who represent the lowest this board has to offer.
#32 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Question:  Has Nintendo revealed their plans for the rate at which they are going to add games to the VC?  This would be a lot more reasonable if they were to add like 5 or so games a week or every other week or something.

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (57747 posts) -

Question:  Has Nintendo revealed their plans for the rate at which they are going to add games to the VC?  This would be a lot more reasonable if they were to add like 5 or so games a week or every other week or something.

MLBknights58
Nope.
#34 Posted by darkspineslayer (19708 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]I either own already, or don't care about any of those games. I'm a bit disappointed, but I wouldn't call it bad. I just seriously hope they support the damn service this time. Wii VC ended up as a joke.nintendoboy16

Didn't exactly help that many of the games on the older systems faced licensing hell, like the majorite of Rare's games. Even DK64 is a mystery.

Not my problem. They managed Earthbound, they can find ways around it when they want to.
#35 Posted by lightleggy (16003 posts) -
In all seriousness how can they only have only 5 tittles if Nintendo owns every licensing right to like over 50 classic games?
#36 Posted by jsmoke03 (12906 posts) -

timbers_WSU
there are like 3 or 4 good games on there from what ive seen. punch out, super mario world, excite bike....FREAKING EXCITE BIKE
#37 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26736 posts) -
Jeez cows are out of control. bbkkristian
Timbers is a lem. Just saying.
#38 Posted by bbkkristian (14953 posts) -
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Jeez haters are out of control. nintendoboy16
Timbers is a lem. Just saying.

Fixed
#39 Posted by AznbkdX (3209 posts) -

Honestly that's not all that great compared to what they should have. Most of those can be bought on the wii as well and leaves a list of like four unique ones.

The prices for them are also slightly too high for some.

I know rom emulation isnt just a one step process, but they could have done a whole lot better. I'm also guessing they will trickle games slowly as well which could be smart but overall needs more substance on the get go for more attention. Customers like to see variety and a filled page. They could have given even an illusion of a strong vc, but they opted for 8 games instead which isnt as comfortable.

Ninty doesn't seem to know that there older games are basically free money. There are many people out there that would love to play the classics so it kind of boggles my mind why they haven't tapped into this potential, especially when its rather cheap to do as well.

#40 Posted by simomate (1859 posts) -

To be fair, you can also use the Wii's virtual console (and purchase wii VC games as well)... I just feel that IF they are going to be putting gamecube games in virtual consoles then they'd better hurry up so people will have more incentive to buy the console. 

I do find the line-up quite lacking though.  

#41 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

"Hater"

Now all your valid points are invalid.

#42 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Can somebody list out all the games that were mentioned? For some reason, that link is not working for me.

I have seen Excitebike, Punchout!, Super Mario World, and Donkry Kong Jr. What else is releasing?

I own about everything I have seen already, but the people saying the NES isn't relevant crack me up... I'm not a huge fan of excitebike.. never was. However, the NES has some GREAT games, and Punchout! is one of them.

Could someone list all 8 for me though? Thanks ahead of time.

**edit** I see F Zero and Kirby as well.. SO that is 6 of the 8 I have heard. I'm actually not a huge fan of these two games... then again, which kirby is it?

WitIsWisdom

Super Mario World (SNES)
F-Zero (SNES)
Excitebike (NES)
Punch-Out!! (NES)
Donkey Kong Jr. (NES)
Ice Climber (NES)
Kirbys Adventure (NES)
Balloon Fight (NES)

#43 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -
If you only have a Wii U I guess that would be a decent start. If you have Nintendo systems with previous VC's then it is poor.
#44 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3786 posts) -

So I was missing Ice Climber and Baloon Fight... hmmm.

While those two games are classics, they are nowhere near what Nintendo could have released. Looks like they are going the oldschool/oldschool route to start things out. I'm cool with that, but I do not see those two titles selling well to a newer crowd. They could possibly sell well to those who enjoyed them back in the day, but as poorly as the WiiU is selling that number probably wont be that high... I think they are releasing SOLID titles to get it going... they are obviously holding a lot of their bigger guns until later when the console picks up some steam.

I will get one eventually and the VC doesn't interest me since I probably already own just about anything they will release, but if they want to sell more consoles with the "nostalgia" kick, a few of those games could do just that.

Super Mario World alone will sell some consoles... however they have a long way to go.

Still a solid lineup.

#45 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

How about giving us what the Wii has? How hard could it be? Seriously? But It would be nice to get Donkey Kong Country, Waverace 64, Pilotwings 64, Link to the Past, Starfox 64,......you know? Shit that holds up by today's standards.
#46 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

jsmoke03
there are like 3 or 4 good games on there from what ive seen. punch out, super mario world, excite bike....FREAKING EXCITE BIKE

Who cares about Excitebike? Jesus. Joe Danger and Trials destroy it now. so freaking excitebike is irrelevant. And Punchout? Good game but why not Super Punchout? Or why not give us what the Wii has already? I am sure they could of did it and then start working on converting things that have not made it to the service yet. Nintendo are a bunch of lazy slackers these days.
#47 Posted by darkspineslayer (19708 posts) -
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]ExciteBike, Super Mario World, F-Zero, Kirby's Adventure, Donkey Kong Jr., and Punch-Out! This is a bad lineup to you? What would be a good lineup?

How about giving us what the Wii has? How hard could it be? Seriously? But It would be nice to get Donkey Kong Country, Waverace 64, Pilotwings 64, Link to the Past, Starfox 64,......you know? Shit that holds up by today's standards.

DKC series was actually removed from the Wii VC. I bought them well beforehand, but it's a shame such great games were made harder to play.
#48 Posted by mariokart64fan (19510 posts) -

timbers_WSU

its just starting holy crap lets look at wiis launch --mario 64   mario bros zelda 1 , , i dont see any thing wrong here lol plus you still have the wii vc if your not happy , darn people are so hard to please ,   w/e more  games for me 

#49 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -
My phone's virtual console is better.
#50 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34149 posts) -

Isn't this only the first set of games released on the Wii U's VC so far?

I don't really see the issue with the # of games. It's not like I really expected them to release 50 games on the first go or something. As long as they can consistantly add a nice handful of titles at a decent pace then there I fail to see the probelm. I am skeptical of this though, since the Wii's VC kind of got more and more neglected over the Wii's lifetime.