Nintendo issues public apology for Tomodachi Life

• 112 results
#51 Posted by Pffrbt (6468 posts) -

No, it's a very good reason as to why they did not add that to the game.

"Good" isn't the word for it. It is a reason why they did it, but not a good one.

"The game was originally targeted for a Japanese only audience"
Last I checked there were gay people in Japan.

"there was no outcry for any changes because no one thought it was needed as a feature."
There were, however, a lot of people happy about finding the glitch and buying the game because of it, and disappointment when it was patched.

@Comduter said:

It is getting bent out of shape and serious over nothing because it's just some goofy unrealistic, cartoonish, family, and kid-friendly game that obviously is meant to be light hearted and and not to be taken seriously.

I'm not seeing how any of that justifies excluding homosexuals from the game.

"By the way, I just so happen to be autistic and I'm appalled by the fact that autistic people won't be depicted in this game either."
It really shouldn't need to be stated how stupid of a strawman this is, but obviously your own player avatar represents an autistic person because you're the one playing it. This isn't remotely the same as a homosexual making a player avatar that is then forced to be outwardly straight.

#52 Posted by Sollet (7302 posts) -

So finally some good news for Nintendo - amirite?

#53 Edited by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@Pffrbt: By good reason I meant the highly probable reason as to why it wasn't in the game; I wasn't explaining the morality of the decision/lack of decision, just why this feature wasn't included originally. You're right there are gay people in Japan, but again there are significant cultural differences that must be noted. It's not a black and white, 'Nintendo are bigots for not including this content,'.

#54 Posted by Pffrbt (6468 posts) -

You're right there are gay people in Japan, but again there are significant cultural differences that must be noted. It's not a black and white, 'Nintendo are bigots for not including this content,'.

They kinda are bigots if bigotry is a part of their culture.

#55 Posted by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@Pffrbt: I don't think bigots would give a full apology and promise to be more inclusive in future games.

#56 Edited by locopatho (20131 posts) -

Not exactly ideal but good enough. Nice one Nintendo.

#57 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Minishdriveby said:

You're right there are gay people in Japan, but again there are significant cultural differences that must be noted. It's not a black and white, 'Nintendo are bigots for not including this content,'.

Congrats, you have no life!

#58 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Minishdriveby said:

Congrats, you have no life!

How does that follow?

#59 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

Trying to make this game political, which it isn't makes me believe that he has no life. Protesting that this game doesn't have same sex marriage is dumb, it's like we should protest all Mario games for stereotyping Italians that have mustaches and are fat plumbers. Trying to make things politically correct makes me believe people have nothing better to do than just bitch for not sharing their own views.

#60 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

Trying to make this game political, which it isn't makes me believe that he has no life. Protesting that this game doesn't have same sex marriage is dumb, it's like we should protest all Mario games for stereotyping Italians that have mustaches and are fat plumbers. Trying to make things politically correct makes me believe people have nothing better to do than just bitch for not sharing their own views.

If Mario allowed you to create a character of your own nationality, but excluded a minority of nationalities, I think the excluded folks would be right to complain. Same for this. There's no harm in being inclusive. If someone wants their boy character to hold hands with another boy, why is that so awful?

People need to "bitch" and make things political, because otherwise they'll be ground into the dirt as excluded "inferiors" forever. The "bitching" will stop when equality is achieved.

#61 Posted by Comduter (2120 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Minishdriveby said:

No, it's a very good reason as to why they did not add that to the game.

"Good" isn't the word for it. It is a reason why they did it, but not a good one.

"The game was originally targeted for a Japanese only audience"

Last I checked there were gay people in Japan.

"there was no outcry for any changes because no one thought it was needed as a feature."

There were, however, a lot of people happy about finding the glitch and buying the game because of it, and disappointment when it was patched.

@Comduter said:

It is getting bent out of shape and serious over nothing because it's just some goofy unrealistic, cartoonish, family, and kid-friendly game that obviously is meant to be light hearted and and not to be taken seriously.

I'm not seeing how any of that justifies excluding homosexuals from the game.

"By the way, I just so happen to be autistic and I'm appalled by the fact that autistic people won't be depicted in this game either."

It really shouldn't need to be stated how stupid of a strawman this is, but obviously your own player avatar represents an autistic person because you're the one playing it. This isn't remotely the same as a homosexual making a player avatar that is then forced to be outwardly straight.

How is it not similar to an autistic person being forced to be neurotypical, and how is it a stupid comparison? It does justify excluding homosexuals from the game because it obviously is not intended to portray society in any realistic or serious ways at all. Why not include mentally disabled people as well?

#62 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Mantleman said:

Honestly, I don't see why they had to apologize because they didn't hurt anyone at all yet they are getting flamed.

Because they made a life simulator that needlessly excludes a large part of their audience for no good reason.

I am pro gay rights and all, and have no issue with games with the options, and do not understand why the bug that allowed same sex to begin with was patched out, however calling the gay percentage of gamers a large part of their audience is really stretching it.

#63 Posted by Comduter (2120 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Mantleman said:

Honestly, I don't see why they had to apologize because they didn't hurt anyone at all yet they are getting flamed.

Because they made a life simulator that needlessly excludes a large part of their audience for no good reason.

The game excludes the representation of all kinds of lifestyles. It's meant to be simple and unrealistic.

#64 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8124 posts) -

@Comduter: what about physically disabled too. My wife is in wheelchair and she plays games on 3ds and wiiu. Why is it only race and sexual orientation that gets any attention anymore?

#65 Edited by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@mattykovax: the bug caused female miis to be replaced with male miis causing a "male" mini to become pregnant. Apparently the bug also caused other glitches and save data corruption.

#66 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@mattykovax: the bug caused female miis to be replaced with male miis causing a "male" mini to become pregnant. Apparently the bug also caused other glitches and save data corruption.

Did not know that. My point was more the fact I do not have an anti gay thing going on, and have no issue with gay content even though I am not gay. My point was more a dispute of the poster I replied to saying "large part" of the audience for that game, or potential audience was gay and not a vocal minority which is what I think you will find.

#67 Posted by m_machine024 (14851 posts) -

Can we even smoke in the game? I really hope Nintendo thought about the smokers. They are people too ya know.

#68 Edited by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

Wasn't there a glitch that allowed so and the patched it? Highly doubt they can't patch a new feature.

There's probably a different reason.

#69 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2681 posts) -

There should be retards and handicapped people too. I also want fat people and drug users. These groups far outnumber homo's so why are they excluded must be Nintendo is biased.

#70 Edited by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@j2zon2591 said:

Wasn't there a glitch that allowed so and the patched it? Highly doubt they can't patch a new feature.

There's probably a different reason.

Here's a statement released by Nintendo:

"Two developments occurred that led to some misunderstanding about this. First, as a result of a mistake in comprehension of Japanese, some people misinterpreted Japanese reports and fan activity and thought same-sex relationships were possible. This occurred because they saw Japanese fans posting game screenshots of male and female Mii characters, where female Mii characters were designed and clothed in such a way that they looked male. Since these explanations were made in Japanese by the Japanese fans who posted the images, the Japanese people do not have such a misunderstanding. Second, a critical bug occurred in the original Japanese version of the game which made it impossible for the player to continue the game. When Mii characters were imported from a Wii console, or the previous game in the Tomodachi Collection series on Nintendo DS (which was only released in Japan), into the Nintendo 3DS version, it could lead to scrambled Mii data within the Nintendo 3DS version. This could result in different Miis being randomly assigned to existing in-game relationships, such as already married Mii, or as just one other example, giving the appearance of same-sex relations. Because this bug caused the inability for the player to save the game data and continue the game, we released a patch."

http://candycrushcopeland.tumblr.com/post/82295382857/nintendo-explains-why-it-patched-same-sex-relationships

A lot of the press never bothered to research into the issue; many cite other gaming websites that may have there facts initially wrong, so that's why you have people who write about games from high traffic sites saying 'Nintendo patched the gay out of Tomodachi Life' because they thought the game originally had the capacity to have these relationships when in reality it was never a feature. Nintendo has already stated why they cannot patch the feature in as it would be a very large undertaking for an already finished game. I sort of wish Nintendo would just say 'Fuck it, we're cancelling the world wide release of the game," so I could watch the fall out that causes.

#71 Posted by GamingGod999 (2935 posts) -

There should be retards and handicapped people too. I also want fat people and drug users. These groups far outnumber homo's so why are they excluded must be Nintendo is biased.

"Retards"? How rude.

#72 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2681 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

"Retards"? How rude.

All you can say is how rude rodger that point made. Obviously this whole thing is bullshit created by a very tiny group that makes alot of noise just like a chihuahau. Clearly there are much larger groups that are not included but they are not crying about it and making a big to do about nothing. Homo's should stfu and go play the sims but that would take common sense and that seems to be in short supply with these media hogs.

Even the idiots making the noise forgot about the lesbian and bi and trans gender/sexual groups under their own banner. They are not in the game either push the shit back or better yet ban it cause Nintendo is biased by omission. Sounds retarded but homo's throw logic out the window it seems when they bring bullshit like this to the press. Never mind it's a kids game from another culture missing many other larger groups of people that would more than likely buy more copies based on the numbers alone.

Homo's make no sense but now I am biased caused I pointed out how stupid this whole shit is. So now you will call me homophobic or some other label for simple pointing out the obvious. Got it see homo's doing dumb shit and don't say anything or I am Satan. So flame me and label me but clearly this was never about the game and should not even be posted in system wars.

#73 Posted by Thunderdrone (5414 posts) -
#74 Edited by Pffrbt (6468 posts) -
@Comduter said:

How is it not similar to an autistic person being forced to be neurotypical, and how is it a stupid comparison?

Because there's no real way to represent that in game and the game doesn't present one form of autism while excluding others and the game doesn't force you to be neurotypical in the first place so this comparison fails on every level.

"It does justify excluding homosexuals from the game because it obviously is not intended to portray society in any realistic or serious ways at all."

Not intending to portray society realistically or seriously isn't justification to leave out homosexuality.

@Minishdriveby said:

I don't think bigots would give a full apology and promise to be more inclusive in future games.

Even bigots can see the error of their ways.

@Comduter said:

The game excludes the representation of all kinds of lifestyles.

It doesn't exclude heterosexuals.

@m_machine024 said:

Can we even smoke in the game? I really hope Nintendo thought about the smokers. They are people too ya know.

This is a false equivalence. A more accurate example would be if the game allowed you to make a character yet excluded black people.

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Even the idiots making the noise forgot about the lesbian and bi and trans gender/sexual groups under their own banner.

Obviously including homosexuality in the game would include lesbians. Bisexuals would be covered in either case, seeing as the gender they're attracted to is a non-issue. Trans people are already covered by the fact that you can customize your mii's appearance and gender.

"So now you will call me homophobic or some other label for simple pointing out the obvious."

You aren't homophobic for pointing out the obvious, since nothing you're saying is true. You're a homophobe because you clearly dislike homosexuals.

#75 Posted by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Alright... so they've admitted the error of their ways and are saying they'll reconsider their approach to game design to become more inclusive in future installments. I'm not sure why we're arguing. I was never against the inclusion of same sex relationships; I was just hoping to help people understand why a feature wasn't in the game at the outset. People are trying to paint things in black and white, but it's never that simple.

I don't really think there's anything more to discuss pertaining to tomodachi life as the issue has been addressed.

#76 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2681 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Wow you make more excuses than a crackhead. Even when the truth is looking at you in your face you still try to explain away this moronic media circus. You think I dislike homo's more power to you. Truth is they are like ghost. I travel all over America even go to other countries and I rarely see them unless they are making fools of themselves in the media.

I am apathetic as far as homo's,bi/tri/trans whatever sexual goes. This is supposed to be system wars yet it surprise surprise has turned into another homo show using a video game as a loophole to discuss social and political issues. Yet when this story came out the murder of Dr Martin Luther King Jr by the American government on april 4th was not covered by the media. The Benghazi cover up gets no media coverage but this bullshit does please gtfoh with this insignificant bullshit. I can think of at least 10 real stories not covered by the megacorp owned media that got no coverage but shit like this makes the news if it was not soo sad it would be funny.

#77 Posted by melonfarmerz (1102 posts) -

I don't get why there's so much backlash. I get that it's offensive that Nintendo omitted same sex relationships but there was no malicious intent, simply an honest mistake they have apologized for.

#78 Edited by AM-Gamer (3521 posts) -

@Pffrbt: A large part of Nintendo fans are gay?

#79 Posted by Pffrbt (6468 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Wow you make more excuses than a crackhead.

How.

"I travel all over America even go to other countries and I rarely see them"
I wonder if this might be because something like sexual orientation isn't something that's physically apparent.

"unless they are making fools of themselves in the media."
Yes, you clearly dislike LGBT people.

"This is supposed to be system wars yet it surprise surprise has turned into another homo show using a video game as a loophole to discuss social and political issues."
How awful that people discuss a game/company in a manner relevant to the topic.

"Yet when this story came out the murder of Dr Martin Luther King Jr by the American government on april 4th was not covered by the media. The Benghazi cover up gets no media coverage"
How is any of this relevant to video games. Also, take your issue up with the media, not the people the media chooses to cover.

#80 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5196 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

If Mario allowed you to create a character of your own nationality, but excluded a minority of nationalities, I think the excluded folks would be right to complain. Same for this. There's no harm in being inclusive. If someone wants their boy character to hold hands with another boy, why is that so awful?

People need to "bitch" and make things political, because otherwise they'll be ground into the dirt as excluded "inferiors" forever. The "bitching" will stop when equality is achieved.

Except this game and Nintendo never viewed them as inferiors by simply not having this option. If you want to be gay in a game, just play another simulator.

#81 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2681 posts) -

@Pffrbt: You guys always seems to throw around that homophobia label. I am not scared of homosexuals. You guys have seen my pics in off-topic post your pics. You guys know I have a extensive gun collection and a military and martial arts and fitness background. Nobody is scared of homo's least of all me. That said you guys also seem to have a persecution complex and take things out of context to push your agenda as seen in this thread. I have said over and over that this thread needs to be locked or put in another forum because this does NOT fit the system wars format.

So if we are going to talk about things that have no relevance to system wars I bought up news of substance not covered in the media. Such as two of the major events in the history of North America that the media "forgot" to cover recently it seems.

#82 Edited by Pffrbt (6468 posts) -

@Pffrbt: You guys always seems to throw around that homophobia label.

Only where it fits.

"I am not scared of homosexuals."
You don't have to be. The term applies to anyone with a general aversion to/distaste of/prejudice against LGBT people.

"You guys have seen my pics in off-topic post your pics."
No. I try to avoid going to Off-Topic. It's an incredibly boring board.

"You guys know I have a extensive gun collection and a military and martial arts and fitness background. Nobody is scared of homo's least of all me."
I don't care. I honestly assumed you were about 14-15 due to your general attitude and opinions.

"That said you guys also seem to have a persecution complex"
I disagree.

"take things out of context"
Such as?

"to push your agenda"
What agenda.

"I have said over and over that this thread needs to be locked or put in another forum because this does NOT fit the system wars format."
I don't care. It's the mods' job to lock the topic.

"So if we are going to talk about things that have no relevance to system wars I bought up news of substance not covered in the media."
Difference being that what's being discussed here is actually relevant to video games and the topic at hand.

#83 Posted by m_machine024 (14851 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Hmm comparing something you're born with (skin color) to something you choose to become? I don't think so, mate.

#84 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8124 posts) -

No one every said anything. Why is it ok to leave out people in wheelchairs or walkers? There are probably more kids that would play this game that are physically disabled than gay(or have any sexual orientation yet)

#85 Posted by GamingGod999 (2935 posts) -

@m_machine024 being gay isn't a choice, dipshit.

#87 Posted by Pffrbt (6468 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Hmm comparing something you're born with (skin color) to something you choose to become? I don't think so, mate.

You're an idiot if you think people choose their sexual orientation.

Why is it ok to leave out people in wheelchairs or walkers?

Because no form of physical disability is being represented here in the first place. Making it incomparable to this, where one sexual orientation is being represented while another is being excluded.

#88 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8124 posts) -

@Pffrbt: exactly my point. "Normal" mobility is being presented as well as "normal" sexual orientation. If u want to represent different sexual preferences why not different forms of mobility? Is one more important to be represented than the other?

#89 Posted by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@Pffrbt: exactly my point. "Normal" mobility is being presented as well as "normal" sexual orientation. If u want to represent different sexual preferences why not different forms of mobility? Is one more important to be represented than the other?

Does anyone really want to be less mobile than someone else though? I'm not sure how many people in a wheelchair want to be in a wheelchair or be reminded that they're in a wheelchair....

#90 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

That's completely stupid, this game is meant for kids and supposed to be simple and just a video game!

#91 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Such as?

"to push your agenda"

What agenda.

You can't be this stupid if you don't know that you're pushing your belief that its an issue of a VIDEO GAME company should shove down your beliefs to kids and parents! You have made it sound as if this is a homophobia issue when its clearly not! So you took this out of your own hands and start arguing that this needs to be a BIG DEAL when its clearly not!

Why are you allowing a video game hold so much power in your life? It sounds like as if you're unhappy because things don't go your way! That's why I say that you have NO LIFE!

#92 Edited by AutoPilotOn (8124 posts) -

@Minishdriveby: isn't it about different lifestyles? Do you think a handicap person would rather play a character that doesn't represent them anymore than someone who is gay can't play a person flirting with opposite sex?

To me is doesn't matter but if gay people can't stomach playing a game they can't flirt with the same sex then why not represent everyone too?

#93 Edited by Chutebox (36433 posts) -

They had nothing to apologize for

#94 Edited by Minishdriveby (10155 posts) -

@AutoPilotOn: Everyone else not represented doesn't have an issue with this specific incident. If they did then we'd probably be seeing a similar situation.

But what's the problem if a certain group speaks up about wanting representation in the game while another excluded group doesn't? The one that wants representation should have the right to say they want to be included. If others follow suit and want representation as well then they should have the right to ask to be included as well. Im not sure what's so bad about the discussion of inclusion. Unless its uncivil as a lot of this thread as been.

#95 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2681 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Such as?

"to push your agenda"

What agenda.

You can't be this stupid if you don't know that you're pushing your belief that its an issue of a VIDEO GAME company should shove down your beliefs to kids and parents! You have made it sound as if this is a homophobia issue when its clearly not! So you took this out of your own hands and start arguing that this needs to be a BIG DEAL when its clearly not!

Why are you allowing a video game hold so much power in your life? It sounds like as if you're unhappy because things don't go your way! That's why I say that you have NO LIFE!

He/she could be a kid going by their comments or a an adult as you said with a unhappy life. That would explain why he/she places such a high value on the virtual world. I have thought as much yet even kids need to see there is more to life than the trivial bullshit the media reports as "news". They should also understand that you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. Being a crybaby with no common sense is not going to endear people to your cause.

Calling people that don't agree with you homophobic is not going to suddenly increase the validity of your sociopathic behaviour either.

#96 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8566 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Pffrbt said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Such as?

"to push your agenda"

What agenda.

He/she could be a kid going by their comments or a an adult as you said with a unhappy life. That would explain why he/she places such a high value on the virtual world. I have thought as much yet even kids need to see there is more to life than the trivial bullshit the media reports as "news". They should also understand that you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar. Being a crybaby with no common sense is not going to endear people to your cause.

Calling people that don't agree with you homophobic is not going to suddenly increase the validity of your sociopathic behaviour either.

Are you referring to me or to him? I'm also not homophobic as I have some good gay friends.

#97 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2681 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: Not you IMO your one of the few rational people in this thread.

#98 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

That's completely stupid, this game is meant for kids and supposed to be simple and just a video game!

Calling something "stupid" isn't a rebuttal.

I don't know or care what age group it's meant for, if it includes relationships it should include equal choices.

Video games are billion dollar, sophisticated art/entertainment these days. How human beings are portrayed, included or left out MATTERS.

Would it be cool if you could only make white Miis? Would you be saying "Who cares, it's just a game, black people are a minority and they can play something else if they care so much?"

Your instant, casual dismissal of millions of excluded people, and anger at their "bitching" IS the problem. The goal is a world where gay people won't have to "bitch" to be included, and folks like you won't need to get dismissive when they ask for that (perfectly reasonable) goal.

#99 Posted by locopatho (20131 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Except this game and Nintendo never viewed them as inferiors by simply not having this option. If you want to be gay in a game, just play another simulator.

"This character creator only allows white people. If you want to be black, go play a different game"

Thing that'd fly? No, they'd get ripped apart for pointlessly excluding people. I fail to see any difference here.

Look I don't care about this game, but I really do find how dismissive people are to be troubling. You don't have to be gay to want equal opportunities for everyone. Yes, even in a silly, simple game.

#100 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5196 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@locopatho said:

@FireEmblem_Man said:

"This character creator only allows white people. If you want to be black, go play a different game"

Thing that'd fly? No, they'd get ripped apart for pointlessly excluding people. I fail to see any difference here.

Look I don't care about this game, but I really do find how dismissive people are to be troubling. You don't have to be gay to want equal opportunities for everyone. Yes, even in a silly, simple game.

Lol, sexual orientation and skin color is totally different!

I'm not against having that option (in fact, it should be there), but I think all this is mostly pure sensationalism over a cartoony game mostly aimed at kids, in which Nintendo stated no homophobic remarks and even apologized for it when they didn't have to.

If I was gay, I would be disappointed, and offended if they threw a BS excuse implying homosexuals are inferior. But the latter never happened.

Also, you're giving too much credit to video games.