Nintendo Holding Critical Earnings Report this month.

  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Jakandsigz
#1 Edited by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/74058/20140115/nintendo-wii-u.htm

As Nintendo begins the New Year, the company is continuing to attempt to recover from the Wii U loss, while keeping fans excited with another Direct.

One thing that has become overwhelmingly clear about the Nintendo Wii U: It is losing, both in sales and the public eye.

Recently, an anonymous article from Eurogamer has gone viral detailing the experiences a developer experienced working with Nintendo on the Wii U system. In short, the developer felt it was difficult to make games for the console due to the hardware and the lack of technical and feature support from Nintendo.

Since then, everyone and anyone are attempting to figure out exactly "where it all went wrong" for Nintendo Wii U, from the lack of titles to the timing of the reveal. And now, it appears Nintendo will be doing the same by the end of the month.

Reportedly, Nintendo will be holding a critical earnings report at the end of this month, which should cover both the issues concerning Wii U and the 3DS. A press event will allegedly be made from this meeting and no doubt Nintendo will use this opportunity to ease everyone's worries about the Wii U.

In addition, the now fan-favorite Nintendo Direct will be hosting another one this month-in Korea.

Although an English Nintendo Direct will almost certainly arrive this month as it does periodically, the Korean Nintendo Direct will arrive on January 17 first.

Keep in mind this is the same report that months back Iwata said would determine his retirement and whether to restructure.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#3 Edited by charizard1605 (73959 posts) -

Yeah, duh? it's the usual quarterly earnings report, they hold it at the end of every quarter, and every January falls into that.

Sony and Microsoft are holding their earnings report this month too. What's the big deal?

Avatar image for Jakandsigz
#4 Posted by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, duh? it's the usual quarterly earnings report, they hold it at the end of every quarter, and every January falls into that.

Sony and Microsoft are holding their earnings report this month too. What's the big deal?

You don't know what the word "critical" means do you?

Avatar image for charizard1605
#5 Posted by charizard1605 (73959 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, duh? it's the usual quarterly earnings report, they hold it at the end of every quarter, and every January falls into that.

Sony and Microsoft are holding their earnings report this month too. What's the big deal?

You don't know what the word "critical" means do you?

I do, and I am laughing at its usage.

Avatar image for speak_low
#6 Posted by Speak_Low (1907 posts) -

This one is different because Nintendo already said, a few months ago, they may have to announce drastic Nintendo decisions in this meeting based on their holiday performance.

Unlike Sony and MS who hold their regular meetings where things are "business as usual", this Nintendo meeting will be one where they are forced to address one of the worst financial periods they've ever seen, all because of the Wii U.

Resignation or management change is even possible, but that's most likely afterwards. This meeting will be full of "Please understand" apologies like always.

Avatar image for Jakandsigz
#7 Edited by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, duh? it's the usual quarterly earnings report, they hold it at the end of every quarter, and every January falls into that.

Sony and Microsoft are holding their earnings report this month too. What's the big deal?

You don't know what the word "critical" means do you?

I do, and I am laughing at its usage.

Ok

Avatar image for super600
#8 Posted by super600 (31861 posts) -

@speak_low said:

This one is different because Nintendo already said, a few months ago, they may have to announce drastic Nintendo decisions in this meeting based on their holiday performance.

Unlike Sony and MS who hold their regular meetings where things are "business as usual", this Nintendo meeting will be one where they are forced to address one of the worst financial periods they've ever seen, all because of the Wii U.

Resignation or management change is even possible, but that's most likely afterwards. This meeting will be full of "Please understand" apologies like always.

Iwata is not going to resign, but the management may be changed.They are just planning things for the reminder of the financial year and for next financial year.

Avatar image for Suppaman100
#9 Edited by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

You make the worst threads.

Avatar image for Jakandsigz
#10 Edited by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

You make the worst threads.

You make the worst posts. All of them the exact same spam. It's why yo can't make threads because they would be locked, and they were when you did with most of them.

Avatar image for DaBrainz
#11 Edited by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

You make the worst threads.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#12 Posted by nintendoboy16 (30472 posts) -

To quote every Star Wars character who said it: I have a BAD feeling about this!

Avatar image for Zassimick
#13 Edited by Zassimick (9085 posts) -

They'll decline to comment on a price drop, say they have titles on the way and that they have a plan to get the Wii U where it needs to be. This is what I imagine will happen, along with going over the reports and reviewing the past year.

Whether it happens... we'll have to see.

Avatar image for Capitan_Kid
#14 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6699 posts) -

Heres to hoping for big changes

Avatar image for Ghost120x
#15 Posted by Ghost120x (4704 posts) -

Price cut? Investors aren't going to be happy about that.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#16 Posted by nintendoboy16 (30472 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

Heres to hoping for big changes

If it's a big enough change that makes them sell-out, then...

Avatar image for VendettaRed07
#17 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Just announce the next nintendo direct and tell us when the f&^% we are going to be playing the games that are supposedly coming out this year. Solid release dates Nintendo ffs..

Avatar image for mariokart64fan
#18 Edited by mariokart64fan (20089 posts) -

with all the 3dses selling and all that money from the wii , and games , and accessories ,, whats the big deal if wiiu ends up selling 50 m , lol

Avatar image for lamprey263
#19 Edited by lamprey263 (31095 posts) -

Nintendo, like every other company out there, has a major report coming out in the next month, it's called a quarterly report.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#20 Edited by KungfuKitten (22491 posts) -

@mariokart64fan said:

with all the 3dses selling and all that money from the wii , and games , and accessories ,, whats the big deal if wiiu ends up selling 50 m , lol

No biggy. But investors are easily impressed by the media. And the media has been against Nintendo en masse trying to create a sense of doom or neglect. So they may have a lot of talking to do to set people straight.

Avatar image for StriateEnd
#21 Posted by StriateEnd (521 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, duh? it's the usual quarterly earnings report, they hold it at the end of every quarter, and every January falls into that.

Sony and Microsoft are holding their earnings report this month too. What's the big deal?

Every tiny bit of gaming "news" is a big deal and thread worthy to OP/TC. He's been on a thread making rampage for the past couple months. None of his threads are particularly good either.

Avatar image for gamevet77
#22 Edited by gamevet77 (447 posts) -

Think about this for a sec.

Lets say your a publisher or developer. You can release a new game on x1/ps4 or you can do it on the wiiu. The hardware is too different to really do both.

You can learn this difficult wiiu platform with the 2 screens and inferior hardware or you can release for name brands who make a living at supporting 3rd parties. Who do you choose?

On WiiU a highly rated 3rd party game would be lucky to sell 1 million copies. Nintendo fans have failed to support 3rfd parties.

Sony/Microsoft have shown 3rd parties can be very successful selling games. The bottom line is the companies will make more money developing a good game on x1/ps4 than the wiiu.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#23 Edited by nintendoboy16 (30472 posts) -

@gamevet77 said:

Think about this for a sec.

Lets say your a publisher or developer. You can release a new game on x1/ps4 or you can do it on the wiiu. The hardware is too different to really do both.

You can learn this difficult wiiu platform with the 2 screens and inferior hardware or you can release for name brands who make a living at supporting 3rd parties. Who do you choose?

On WiiU a highly rated 3rd party game would be lucky to sell 1 million copies. Nintendo fans have failed to support 3rfd parties.

Sony/Microsoft have shown 3rd parties can be very successful selling games. The bottom line is the companies will make more money developing a good game on x1/ps4 than the wiiu.

What does THAT have to do with this thread?

Avatar image for Capitan_Kid
#24 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6699 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Youre paranoid

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#25 Edited by nintendoboy16 (30472 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16: Youre paranoid

Why? Because of what I fear in this possible change to one of the last few entirely gaming companies, especially one with their own hardware and has done their own things to stick out for better or worse? Does it exactly help that there are people in the industry (even former) that wants Nintendo to sell-out (ex: David Jaffe)?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
#26 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (1464 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Nintendo, like every other company out there, has a major report coming out in the next month, it's called a quarterly report.

The true tea has been spilled.

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#27 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (28132 posts) -

I think some restructuring is already being made.

Avatar image for mario-galaxys
#28 Posted by mario-galaxys (574 posts) -

Any supposed restructuring will depend on the quarterly report, but I feel that the annual report if it is negative will make restructuring very urgent. And I doubt the Satoru Iwata will be resigning anytime soon.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#29 Posted by MirkoS77 (10400 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16: Youre paranoid

Why? Because of what I fear in this possible change to one of the last few entirely gaming companies, especially one with their own hardware and has done their own things to stick out for better or worse? Does it exactly help that there are people in the industry (even former) that wants Nintendo to sell-out (ex: David Jaffe)?

Nintendo will never sell out, you should know this by now.

Avatar image for Capitan_Kid
#30 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6699 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Its irrelevant babble. Your tinfoil hat is on way too tight.

Avatar image for FoxbatAlpha
#31 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

What can Nintendo do? Dun know.

Avatar image for trugs26
#32 Edited by trugs26 (7035 posts) -

So who exactly stated it was a "critical" earnings report?

Avatar image for Capitan_Kid
#33 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6699 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Also nintendo hasnt released a pure gaming console since the gamecube. The Wii had a lot of multimedia stuff like a weather channel, internet browser, and netflix and the Wii U also has multimedia services

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#34 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (28132 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16: Also nintendo hasnt released a pure gaming console since the gamecube. The Wii had a lot of multimedia stuff like a weather channel, internet browser, and netflix and the Wii U also has multimedia services

Wii Mini dude.

Sucker can't even connect Online.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#35 Edited by KBFloYd (15540 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

What can Nintendo do? Dun know.

go back to 2nd place lem..

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
#36 Posted by madsnakehhh (15900 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

So who exactly stated it was a "critical" earning report?

TC... -_-

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
#37 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8760 posts) -

@gamevet77 said:

Think about this for a sec.

Lets say your a publisher or developer. You can release a new game on x1/ps4 or you can do it on the wiiu. The hardware is too different to really do both.

You can learn this difficult wiiu platform with the 2 screens and inferior hardware or you can release for name brands who make a living at supporting 3rd parties. Who do you choose?

On WiiU a highly rated 3rd party game would be lucky to sell 1 million copies. Nintendo fans have failed to support 3rfd parties.

Sony/Microsoft have shown 3rd parties can be very successful selling games. The bottom line is the companies will make more money developing a good game on x1/ps4 than the wiiu.

My favorite games are strategy games, and it's not like those games are going to sell on the PS4 or XB1. If I had to go with a console, I would go with the Wii U because I really think the tablet could enable the creation of a truly unique game, and I would want my game to be as good as it could possibly be.

Avatar image for Couth_
#40 Edited by Couth_ (10369 posts) -
@trugs26 said:

So who exactly stated it was a "critical" earnings report?

Iwata did

" if things don’t turn around this Christmas then Nintendo executives would review the situation to decide what to do about the failing console."

"the success of Nintendo’s newest console and the future direction of the firm were riding on the performance of a slate of new games during the upcoming holiday sales season. Once those results were in, Nintendo executives would review them to decide “what the company needs to do, over the long-term, about its platform,” Mr. Iwata said.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/30/iwata-is-naturally-unhappy-with-q2-2014-results-but-claims-major-overhaul-isnt-necessary/

Basically the performance on this review dictates what they do moving forward.. pretty big time

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16: Youre paranoid

Why? Because of what I fear in this possible change to one of the last few entirely gaming companies, especially one with their own hardware and has done their own things to stick out for better or worse? Does it exactly help that there are people in the industry (even former) that wants Nintendo to sell-out (ex: David Jaffe)?

I see you are coming around to the possibility ;]

Stop being such a sad bloke. Get hype

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#41 Posted by nintendoboy16 (30472 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@nintendoboy16: Also nintendo hasnt released a pure gaming console since the gamecube. The Wii had a lot of multimedia stuff like a weather channel, internet browser, and netflix and the Wii U also has multimedia services

Well, what is Nintendo only known for? GAMES! What are Sony and MS known for? More than GAMES! Sony has music and film, while MS does all kinds of software.

@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo will never sell out, you should know this by now.

Never hurts to be cautious. Sometimes, you never know what's going on in the gaming industry.

Avatar image for mario-galaxys
#42 Posted by mario-galaxys (574 posts) -

According to a NeoGAF thread, Nintendo had lowered its profits from ¥55B profit to ¥25B loss.

http://abload.de/img/nintendo2013a6bqv.png

Avatar image for resevl4rlz
#43 Posted by resevl4rlz (3433 posts) -

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C14A1000000/

Iwata was quoted at the press conference today saying that he feels responsibility for the poor business performance at Nintendo, and he is sorry to all shareholders. He says the most important thing is to revigorate Nintendo's business as quickly as possible. He will NOT resign, but stay in office to carry that through.

Avatar image for Samurai_Xavier
#44 Posted by Samurai_Xavier (4364 posts) -

Ouch. This is really bad for Nintendo.

Avatar image for Couth_
#45 Edited by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

Nintendo Co. (7974) revised its forecast for the fiscal year to a net loss of 25 billion yen ($240 million), cutting its projections for the Wii U console and saying year-end software sales were far below expectations.

“It is now expected that our sales will fail to meet our previous forecast by a large margin,” President Satoru Iwata said at a press conference today. “We can no longer expect our financial performance to recover in the current fiscal year.”

The revisions increase the pressure on Iwata, who vowed in October to meet a forecast of 100 billion yen in full-year operating profit and 9 million units in Wii U sales. Nintendo has lost about 80 percent of its market value

“The revision is much worse than expected,” Yusuke Tsunoda, an analyst at Tokai Tokyo Securities Co. in Tokyo, said by phone. “It’s going to be a third consecutive annual operating loss and that raises a serious management issue.”

Iwata said he’s considering a new business structure, and any announcement about a pay cut would come later this month when the company releases third-quarter earnings. There are no plans to reshuffle management in the near term, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-17/nintendo-forecasts-net-loss-on-stagnating-sales-of-wii-u-games.ht=

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
#46 Edited by nintendoboy16 (30472 posts) -

@resevl4rlz said:

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...10C14A1000000/

Iwata was quoted at the press conference today saying that he feels responsibility for the poor business performance at Nintendo, and he is sorry to all shareholders. He says the most important thing is to revigorate Nintendo's business as quickly as possible. He will NOT resign, but stay in office to carry that through.

"NO!" cried the internet as if they were a newfound Sith Lord.

Avatar image for FoxbatAlpha
#47 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

What can Nintendo do? Dun know.

go back to 2nd place lem..

Why all the hate?

Avatar image for g0ddyX
#48 Edited by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -
@gamevet77 said:

Think about this for a sec.

Lets say your a publisher or developer. You can release a new game on x1/ps4 or you can do it on the wiiu. The hardware is too different to really do both.

You can learn this difficult wiiu platform with the 2 screens and inferior hardware or you can release for name brands who make a living at supporting 3rd parties. Who do you choose?

On WiiU a highly rated 3rd party game would be lucky to sell 1 million copies. Nintendo fans have failed to support 3rfd parties.

Sony/Microsoft have shown 3rd parties can be very successful selling games. The bottom line is the companies will make more money developing a good game on x1/ps4 than the wiiu.

Yeah, Dev's will pretty much avoid the Wii U and make games for PC,X1, and PS4.
That time and effort to downgrade...

Avatar image for SUD123456
#49 Edited by SUD123456 (4633 posts) -

RIP WiiU

Avatar image for joehult
#50 Edited by joehult (537 posts) -

I would hope a fire sale is now imminent. I am not touching this thing if it is more than $200.