Nintendo Hiring Lead Graphic Engineer for Next-Gen GPU

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Description of Duties

Nintendo Technology Development is looking for a lead graphics architect in the system-on-chip architecture group in Redmond, WA. The group is responsible for the architecture of Nintendo’s game console SoCs. The graphics architect plays a key role in determining the SoC architecture. The job responsibilities are:

Evaluate HW graphics (GPU) offerings from SoC solutions available in the market based on performance, power, and silicon area.

Evaluate the performance of the SoC solutions for both proprietary and standard graphics APIs.

Determine workloads and simulation models for both performance and power characteristics of GPUs.

Keep track of GPU architectural improvements in the industry and devise strategies to incorporate them for future Nintendo gaming platforms.

Act as the graphics architectural evangelist working with global Nintendo teams for future and on-going programs.

Work with external SoC vendors as the Nintendo focal point for graphics GPU architecture.

Should be prepared to work through architecture, design, validation, and bring-up stages of SoC design in cooperation with internal and external teams.

Summary of Requirements

The ideal candidate will have had experience working directly in a GPU architecture and design team with significant responsibilities.

Low power and SoC design experience would be a plus.

The candidate is expected to have good architectural insights and the ability to apply that for setting future graphics direction for Nintendo.

A bachelors degree (graduate degree preferred) in computer science/engineering or electrical engineering.

5+ years of lead or architectural role experience are required.

SOURCE

Okay, so the important thing here is not that Nintendo is already working on a (possibly graphically impressive) next generation console- of course they are- the news here is that they are looking for someone from the US to architect their system. This is a big deal. This means they have stopped being so insular and inward looking and having their hardware all developed in a bubble in Japan, and they are ready to have their consoles developed by someone from the west. Remember, when Sony had someone from the west head their console development, we got Mark Cerny giving us the PlayStation 4.

Whatever Nintendo's next console is, it should be exciting.

EDIT: For some reason, Nintendo just renewed its Virtual Boy trademark...

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

so something stronger than x360 this time? nice only 15 years later as well. ninty be catching up yoo, in 20 years maybe they introduce gamertags

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Maybe the Wii Two won't be last gen hardware this time.

Maybe get some of that 3rd party support.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Good to know. Gives me even more hope that Nintendo will get back in the game next generation...Or, at least, try harder to.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

The WII. They might match this gens specs but the system will be released years later.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That's really not an indication that they are building something super powerful, just something new.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

So they're finally gonna join the 8th generation?

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

Hmm maybe Nintendo learned the importance of third party games

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

that's good but i guess this human will still have to work within nintendo's defined budgets of thermal overhead and money.

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

Well there is nothing really new here. Companies are always looking and preparing for new systems. I didn't realize that Nintendo had a team in Redmond the home of Microsoft. On another note what do you mean insular outlook the US has always been involved in this tech, almost all the major vendors like Intel, IBM, nvidia, AMD, Texas instruments, Qualcomm etc are US based.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Seems like normal development to me. SONY and MS are already planning/working on their new hardware too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@CrownKingArthur said:

that's good but i guess this human will still have to work within nintendo's defined budgets of thermal overhead and money.

We don't know if Nintendo will have the same mindset in mind when designing their next system as they did with the Wii U. It would be almost foolish to assume that they will.

@Wasdie said:

That's really not an indication that they are building something super powerful, just something new.

I never said it is, I just speculated that it might be more impressive, drawing a parallel to Mark Cerny at Sony.

@bldgirsh said:

The WII. They might match this gens specs but the system will be released years later.

We don't know what kinds of specs we are looking at here.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur

@charizard1605: yeah i don't assume it will be the same as the wii u, but i do assume there's going to be a ceiling for both. probably financial first, then thermal second.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@CrownKingArthur said:

@charizard1605: yeah i don't assume it will be the same as the wii u, but i do assume there's going to be a ceiling for both. probably financial first, then thermal second.

Definitely, or we'd have another Xbox 360 and/or PS3 situation on our hands. My assumption is just that Nintendo will relax both of said ceilings a fair bit the next time around, since it is clear the Wii/Wii U model no longer works.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
..Incoming $99 WIU.
..Incoming $99 WIU.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@Wasdie said:

That sure would be nice though. Just imagine if Nintendo's next GPU rivaled a GTX980.

How amazing The Legend of Zelda and Metroid would look.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@charizard1605: i think that's a sound assumption, the whole thingy you said there, about them relaxing the ceiling next time.

and lol at post 15, funny stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Sounds like Nintendo is staying 1st party.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Uhm... this is intriguing?

Nintendo just renewed their Virtual Boy trademark...

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

They're going to make a Virtual Boy 2 to counter Oculus Rift and Morpheus.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Will Nintendo do what they're doing with the 3DS and just call it a mid gen upgrade?

One step in the right direction would be for them to drop the tablet as the main controller and make the Pro the standard one.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PikachuDude860

@charizard1605: Read this when you have time. It's about what Iwata and Reggie think about the Wii U's 3rd party support. It's a long read, but very interesting...if your interested.

Link.

Their words, plus this info puts a smile on my face. No proof of what they're trying to do, but there is a chance that we'll se a "SNES 2" next gen. Or a start.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PikachuDude860

@Lionheart08 said:

One step in the right direction would be for them to drop the tablet as the main controller and make the Pro the standard one.

For their next console, sure. But doing that for the Wii U would just make it a underpowered version PS4 and Xbox One.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

so we're at least 3 years away from a new nintendo console? No way they hire a lead arch, design the hardware and ship it in 2 years.. The Wii U is a weak piece of shit now. Can;t wait to see what it can't do in 3 years.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Cant wait. This time it should be better. I actually liked some of the Virtual Boy games and the 3D wireframe effect worked although it gave you the blue eye sight syndrome afterwards. Red Alert, WarioLand & Mario Tennis were great.

What would be a true shock is if the RZone was to return:

Loading Video...

Warning: Horrible quality video Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Bishop1310: the wii u does everything that happened Nintendo's own takes and indie games- the only games on it- would ever want it to do. My assumption is it will continue to be sufficient for those kinds of games for a good while now.

@pikachudude860: I'm at work, but I've got it bookmarked, so I'll be sure to read it later!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm guessing Nintendo's next system will be marginally more powerful than the PS4. Nintendo has been a generation behind in graphics for two generations now. I don't expect that to change.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

The Nintendo One

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Wasdie
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@SonySoldier-_- said:

@Wasdie said:

That sure would be nice though. Just imagine if Nintendo's next GPU rivaled a GTX980.

Even in 2-3 years a GPU that would rival a GTX 980 would probably cost $150-200 to produce in a console-like form factor. Not going to happen anytime soon.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Unified architecture between handheld and console with scalable graphics. I'm predicting something along the lines of the GTX 970 and a low end mobile tablet setup like the PS4 for their handheld. 16 GB DDR4 RAM and 8 GB of DDR3 ram for the handheld. It'll be something that 3rd party devs will be fighting each other to develop for.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Unified architecture between handheld and console with scalable graphics. I'm predicting something along the lines of the GTX 970 and a low end mobile tablet setup like the PS4 for their handheld. 16 GB DDR4 RAM and 8 GB of DDR3 ram for the handheld. It'll be something that 3rd party devs will be fighting each other to develop for.

Unfortunately, I don't see something like a console/handheld hybrid as something third parties will go gaga for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I don't know why, but this news always gets me pumped up, even though it usually disappoints in the end. I love the Wii U, but I also like hearing their plans for the next one, which will probably come in 4 or 5 years.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bunchanumbers

@nintendoboy16 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Unfortunately, I don't see something like a console/handheld hybrid as something third parties will go gaga for.

That's the best part. Its a 2 for 1 system development deal. And it would take next to nothing to do. All you'd have to do is lower/adjust settings and just like that your game is developed for 2 devices!

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Developing the GPU on the Western side of the planet is a big deal. Just give Reggie the company, I think he has a better vision than Iwata.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I told the sheep in this forum that the Wii U has maybe two years left. Their response? "they're going to maximize the graphics, you just wait Mr.!!!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

I told the sheep in this forum that the Wii U has maybe two years left. Their response? "they're going to maximize the graphics, you just wait Mr.!!!"

Are you dumb? The news here isn't that the Wii U's successor is in development (any sensible company starts work on a successor to the console as soon as possible), the news is that it's in development in the west.

No one doubted the Wii U would last through 2016. That would give it a four year lifespan, which sounds reasonable considering everything. But man, your clairvoyance is amazing.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I honestly believe that Nintendo will just buy cost efficient GPU that can be coded to the metal. No one should expect Nintendo to make powerful hardware at all, as they want to make their game consoles more price friendly.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bunchanumbers

@scottpsfan14 said:
@bunchanumbers said:

When a "mobile tablet" can play Bioshock 1 at Xbox 360 visuals, call me. Decent trolling though. But I wonder, if the PS4 is a weak tablet, then what is the Wii U?

Wii U is the only console this generation. The only console and is loaded with fantastic exclusives and the only AAAAE this generation.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Are you dumb? The news here isn't that the Wii U's successor is in development (any sensible company starts work on a successor to the console as soon as possible), the news is that it's in development in the west.

No one doubted the Wii U would last through 2016. That would give it a four year lifespan, which sounds reasonable considering everything. But man, your clairvoyance is amazing.

says the guy whose inspiration is Pachter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

says the guy whose inspiration is Pachter

Are you just making shit up now? Pulling it out of your ass?

I mean, I thought your posting quality couldn't possibly get any worse, but damn, you continue to surprise me with how shitty your posts are every day.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bunchanumbers
@davillain- said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@bunchanumbers said:

That's the best part. Its a 2 for 1 system development deal. And it would take next to nothing to do. All you'd have to do is lower/adjust settings and just like that your game is developed for 2 devices!

And remember that Nintendo is the only Co. right now that always take risks and do other things that no one would try so seeing a Console/Handheld is a interesting concept and let's remember that Nintendo are the king of handhelds and Sony ain't doing a PS Vita 2 so that's out of the question and as long as the price is right, I can see this happening. For now, we will have to wait for E3 2016-17 for any news on there next console and Nintendo usually wait for 4,5 years of console lifespan.

perfectly said. After this is done watch the other 2 racing to do the same thing. The handheld will also be a controller for the console. This is also when the full fury of the Virtual Console will hit. It will include everything from the NES to the Wii and the handheld will be able to run everything from the Gameboy to the 3DS. This won't happen until the 2017 E3 though. And sadly we'll be forced to stomach the monthly sub scam but get unified accounts where games are bound to the account and other full features.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I see we're in for another round of SolidGame getting put in his place by Char

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

It's clearly the New New 3DS, coming Holiday 2015.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

While it's fun to think about the next generation, I don't see Nintendo changing their business model. They will undercut the competition price/tech wise in order to appeal to the non gamer market.

I just hope the big 3 cut AMD loose. I'm not impressed with what they sold Sony and Microsoft.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GoldenElementXL said:

While it's fun to think about the next generation, I don't see Nintendo changing their business model. They will undercut the competition price/tech wise in order to appeal to the non gamer market.

I just hope the big 3 cut AMD loose. I'm not impressed with what they sold Sony and Microsoft.

I wouldn't go about blaming AMD for that one- they gave Sony and Microsoft something that was built according to the specifications and budget and heat constraints that they were set. There's only so much you can do with all those limited resources.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@SonySoldier-_- said:

@Wasdie said:

Not unreasonable if the console launches in 4-5 years.

4 years ago the most powerful GPU was like...a GTX 480?

I believe the PS4 and Xbox One both have GPUs more powerful than that.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#50 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

if the PS4 is a weak tablet, then what is the Wii U?

A toaster. It doesn't get hot enough to make toast, but it's a damn nice toaster with some great games.