Nintendo Guilty of Infringing Glasses-Free 3D Patent

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slashkice (13017 posts) -

nintendo_3ds_xl_previ3uptm.jpg

In developing its 3DS portable console, Nintendo infringed on a glasses-free 3D patent owned by a former Sony employee. That's according to a New York federal jury, which earlier today hit Nintendo with $30.2 million in damages. The patent in question granted in 2008 pertains to viewing 3D content without a need for specialized glasses, which is a major selling point of the 3DS. Seijiro Tomita (who spent 30 years at Sony according to the court complaint) sued Nintendo in 2011 for infringing on his invention, claiming that he'd met with the gaming manufacturer in 2003 to discuss the technology. In its defense, Nintendo's attorney argued that Tomita was just one of several 3D purveyors it was in contact with at the time and that the 3D implementation in the portable device avoided key aspects of his patent.

Ultimately the jury sided with Tomita and awarded him the compensatory damages. $30.2 million isn't exactly going to bankrupt Nintendo, and the case is unlikely to have any long-term consequences, but it's still an embarrassing legal defeat for the gaming industry giant.

The Verge

Source

It is fairly amusing that the claim comes from a former Sony employee, but either way, this won't really affect Nintendo in the long run. Thoughts, System Wars?

#3 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23432 posts) -

good. now i can sue that guy for these damn seizures i have been getting since i saw 3d on the 3ds.

#4 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

nintendo doesn't copy, this is unpossible.

i refuse to believe it.

#5 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

This is like the fourth person to sue Nintendo for infringing on a glasses-free 3D patent.

Nintendo was found not guilty in all the other cases.

#6 Posted by Slashkice (13017 posts) -

last week news now? wasnt this on the main page of GS. on topic : naughty nintendo... naughtg.

dobzilian

The news is an hour old via Reuters.

#7 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

last week news now? wasnt this on the main page of GS. on topic : naughty nintendo... naughtg.

Slashkice

i apologies sir.
#8 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

last week news now? wasnt this on the main page of GS.

on topic : naughty nintendo... naughty.

dobzilian

sw skipped the news.

u mad it's coming to light? you prayed it would be swep under the rug?

Nintendo, modern day saits tarnished rep. ohnoes for uberfanboys. nintendo makes good games, lets just leave it at that.

#9 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

Slashkice

butthurt busted?

its new to sw, why was that his first response insted of the actual um say, news?

#10 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

CaptainGamespot

sw skipped the news.

Nintendo, modern day saits tarnished rep. ohnoes for uberfanboys. nintendo makes good games, lets just leave it at that.

No he was wrong because the last article just said that Nintendo was being sued not that Nintendo was found guilty.

#11 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]last week news now? wasnt this on the main page of GS.

on topic : naughty nintendo... naughty.CaptainGamespot
sw skipped the news.u mad it's coming to light? you prayed it would be swep under the rug?Nintendo, modern day saits tarnished rep. ohnoes for uberfanboys. nintendo makes good games, lets just leave it at that.

Yeah im butthurt about a company which i dont have shares in or give two hoots about their policies. Every corporation gets sued every other day.

So Captainstupidity do you enjoy being butthurt about being a totaly idiot? of cause you are.

I openly admit i was wrong.

#12 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainGamespot"]

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

sw skipped the news.

No he was wrong because the last article just said that Nintendo was being sued not that Nintendo was found guilty.

point is his first response was akin to damage control, not about the news 'nintendo's guilty of infringing' itself.

#13 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

dobzilian

sw skipped the news.

Yeah im butthurt about a company which i dont have shares in or give two hoots about their policies. So Captainstupidity do you enjoy being butthurt about being a totaly idiot? of cause you are.

namecalling? :lol:

your sig : Currently playing. WiiU - Tekken Tag Tournement 2 WiiU edition, Batman Arkham City...3DS - Zelda OOT, Shinobi... 360 - Currently nothing.NN ID : Dobzilian.3DS Name : Dobzilian.

u are butthurt and hated reading article about nintendo guilty of copying. u avoid news and incorrectly posted it was last week news. owned. :lol:

#14 Posted by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

Oh wow this is totally unexepcted. Never before has this happened.

#15 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"][QUOTE="CaptainGamespot"]sw skipped the news.u mad it's coming to light? you prayed it would be swep under the rug?Nintendo, modern day saits tarnished rep. ohnoes for uberfanboys. nintendo makes good games, lets just leave it at that.CaptainGamespot
Yeah im butthurt about a company which i dont have shares in or give two hoots about their policies. So Captainstupidity do you enjoy being butthurt about being a totaly idiot? of cause you are.

namecalling? :lol:your sig : Currently playing. WiiU - Tekken Tag Tournement 2 WiiU edition, Batman Arkham City...3DS - Zelda OOT, Shinobi... 360 - Currently nothing.NN ID : Dobzilian.3DS Name : Dobzilian.u are butthurt and hated reading article about nintendo guilty of copying. u avoid news and incorrectly posted it was last week news. owned. :lol:

Pointing out that you are a idiot in thinking i care if a company gets sued or not? Well thats not name calling thats pointing out the obvious.

Oh wow i have a 3DS and a WiiU. I also own a Xbox 360 also.... point being? Because i'm currently getting use out of my WiiU and been getting games at discounted prices brand new in comparison to what they cost on 360 like batman for £25 with free DLC, Assassin Creed 3 for £25 and Tekken Tag 2 with all the DLC on 360 version including extra content for £28... Its called being smart which you'd not understand. I also have a picture which i posted of my 360 / 3DS aswell looming around here just ready to own you that little bit more.

I was wrong about one thing. No biggie. their was a article on GS about nintendo being sued by ex-sony employee last week which i assumed was just the same article.

#16 Posted by Willy105 (24499 posts) -
So one guy who used to work at Sony and approached Nintendo over a decade ago was given the title of "I invented glasses free 3D", and got $30 million from Nintendo for using his idea. This is a clear victory for Sony if I have ever seen one.
#17 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

oh-snap.jpg

This^

#18 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaptainGamespot"][QUOTE="dobzilian"] Yeah im butthurt about a company which i dont have shares in or give two hoots about their policies. So Captainstupidity do you enjoy being butthurt about being a totaly idiot? of cause you are.dobzilian

namecalling? :lol:your sig : Currently playing. WiiU - Tekken Tag Tournement 2 WiiU edition, Batman Arkham City...3DS - Zelda OOT, Shinobi... 360 - Currently nothing.NN ID : Dobzilian.3DS Name : Dobzilian.u are butthurt and hated reading article about nintendo guilty of copying. u avoid news and incorrectly posted it was last week news. owned. :lol:

Pointing out that you are a idiot in thinking i care if a company gets sued or not? Well thats not name calling thats pointing out the obvious.

Oh wow i have a 3DS and a WiiU. I also own a Xbox 360 also.... point being? Because i'm currently getting use out of my WiiU and been getting games at discounted prices brand new in comparison to what they cost on 360 like batman for £25 with free DLC, Assassin Creed 3 for £25 and Tekken Tag 2 with all the DLC on 360 version including extra content for £28... Its called being smart which you'd not understand. I also have a picture which i posted of my 360 / 3DS aswell looming around here just ready to own you that little bit more.

I was wrong about one thing. No biggie. their was a article on GS about nintendo being sued by ex-sony employee last week which i assumed was just the same article.

of course you have a 360, nintendo's not cutting the mustard anymore, lol. get in line with other sheep who ventured for other systems.

being smart? i got those games for 20 at retail, lol..and i can resell them. it's called waiting for sales. i'm sure you ahve a picture, but u mad abotu this nintendo news to make your 1st post about this article is late. you are a moron and worse, a fanboy that convinced himself hes not one.

#19 Posted by bbkkristian (14917 posts) -
Out of all the copying Sony has done.... And Nintendo gets sued and loses.
#20 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

And they sony are the copy cats. 

#21 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -
Well, it was a fun ride while it lasted Nintendo. R.I.P. Funny to think that it was a former Sony employee that finally managed to take Nintendo down. TSHBO.
#22 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

So one guy who used to work at Sony and approached Nintendo over a decade ago was given the title of "I invented glasses free 3D", and got $30 million from Nintendo for using his idea. This is a clear victory for Sony if I have ever seen one. Willy105
3 other people tried to sue Nintendo claiming the same thing and they lost. This is the first person to sue Nintendo for the same thing as the others that won the case.

#23 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

30 million ouch. That can pay for 2 games. Really nothing to Nintendo though.

#24 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"][QUOTE="CaptainGamespot"]namecalling? :lol:your sig : Currently playing. WiiU - Tekken Tag Tournement 2 WiiU edition, Batman Arkham City...3DS - Zelda OOT, Shinobi... 360 - Currently nothing.NN ID : Dobzilian.3DS Name : Dobzilian.u are butthurt and hated reading article about nintendo guilty of copying. u avoid news and incorrectly posted it was last week news. owned. :lol:CaptainGamespot

of course you have a 360, nintendo's not cutting the mustard anymore, lol. get in line with other sheep who ventured for other systems.being smart? i got those games for 20 at retail, lol..and i can resell them. it's called waiting for sales. i'm sure you ahve a picture, but u mad abotu this nintendo news to make your 1st post about this article is late. you are a moron and worse, a fanboy that convinced himself hes not one.

That makes no sense as i owned my 360 previous to my WiiU. WiiU has been terrible which i've admitted several times and main reason i brought it was for MH TRI but i shouldnt need to justify my actions or how i spend my cash to idiots like yourself who are merely trolling.

Sureee you got thoee games cheaper including free DLC.... lol, I just call that flamebaiting. I'm mad because i was the first person to post in a topic? RIGHHHTTT LMAO... makes total sense. I must be a terrible Fanboy when i can admit the flaws of a console and since 1990 have always owned multiple consoles unlike Fanboys on here who'd eat crap off a shovel.

You are a terrible Troll.

#25 Posted by GD1551 (9155 posts) -

Mrmedia01

Not like they were going to do that anyway. Iwata just can't buy a new jet this year.

#26 Posted by Audacitron (909 posts) -

So one guy who used to work at Sony and approached Nintendo over a decade ago was given the title of "I invented glasses free 3D", and got $30 million from Nintendo for using his idea. This is a clear victory for Sony if I have ever seen one. Willy105

It'd be a clear victory for Sony if they were awarded the 30 million. 

From Nintendo's perspective, 30 million is an affordable loss.  But it's great news for the employee.

Nintendo should've done the honest thing and licensed his technology in the first place.

#27 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

GD1551

Not like they were going to do that anyway. Iwata just can't buy a new jet this year.

What game is in your sig?
#28 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

This is like the fourth person to sue Nintendo for infringing on a glasses-free 3D patent.

Nintendo was found not guilty in all the other cases.Nintendo_Ownes7

Agreed. Nintendo will most likely appeal it. This case should've never been against Nintendo in the first place. He should've taken it up with Sharp instead.

#29 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

RyanShazam

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
#30 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

Xaero_Gravity

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Seems like that game pops up every no and again on these forums. Im gonna have to check it out. Looks like fun.

#31 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

dobzilian

of course you have a 360, nintendo's not cutting the mustard anymore, lol. get in line with other sheep who ventured for other systems.

being smart? i got those games for 20 at retail, lol..and i can resell them. it's called waiting for sales. i'm sure you ahve a picture, but u mad abotu this nintendo news to make your 1st post about this article is late. you are a moron and worse, a fanboy that convinced himself hes not one.

That makes no sense as i owned my 360 previous to my WiiU. WiiU has been terrible which i've admitted several times and main reason i brought it was for MH TRI. Sureee you got thoee games cheaper.... lol, I just call that flamebaiting. I'm mad because i was the first person to post in a topic? RIGHHHTTT LMAO... makes total sense. I must be a terrible Fanboy when i can admit the flaws of a console and since 1990 have always owned multiple consoles unlike Fanboys on here who'd eat crap off a shovel. You are a terrible Troll.

i did get those games for 20 new (tekken tag2, batman ac, ac3), during holiday sales at retail. i can even sell them if I want, unlike digital ripoff console copies of games. if you think buying digital copies for a slight discount is a deal, you dont shop right. every multiplat on wii u retail ive seen cheapr on other machines at some point (pc, 360, ps3), every single one so far.

either way, your first post was fail (u confused act of suing with actual news of him winning lawsuit), but glad you admitted it so lets move on.

you came off as scerred of bad nintendo news. nintendo guilty of infringing, big deal. it's only big deal to nintendo & butthurt sheep.

terrible troll? clearly i struck a nerve as your first post was namecalling.

#32 Posted by JamDev (970 posts) -
Pretty ironic considering the constant bleating from sheep about everyone stealing ideas from Nintendo :)
#33 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

But I thought Nintendo were the champions of innovation who were above copying?

Stay "humble" sheep.

:roll:

#34 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22382 posts) -
lot of nintendo haters circle jerking going on in this thread. Keep pretending like this actually matters :lol:
#35 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7249 posts) -

Fact is everybody copies everybody.

#36 Posted by Technoweirdo (7072 posts) -

Least they don't have to pull the 3DS off the shelves. Besides, there's the appeal. If that doesn't go down well either, I -do- recall Nintendo licencing the tech from a 3rd party...

#37 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Least they don't have to pull the 3DS off the shelves. Besides, there's the appeal. If that doesn't go down well either, I -do- recall Nintendo licencing the tech from a 3rd party...

Technoweirdo

The 3DSs screens are made by Sharp which is a 3rd Party and they make TVs.

#38 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"][QUOTE="CaptainGamespot"]

CaptainGamespot

That makes no sense as i owned my 360 previous to my WiiU. WiiU has been terrible which i've admitted several times and main reason i brought it was for MH TRI. Sureee you got thoee games cheaper.... lol, I just call that flamebaiting. I'm mad because i was the first person to post in a topic? RIGHHHTTT LMAO... makes total sense. I must be a terrible Fanboy when i can admit the flaws of a console and since 1990 have always owned multiple consoles unlike Fanboys on here who'd eat crap off a shovel. You are a terrible Troll.

i did get those games for 20 new (tekken tag2, batman ac, ac3), during holiday sales at retail. i can even sell them if I want, unlike digital ripoff console copies of games. if you think buying digital copies for a slight discount is a deal, you dont shop right. every multiplat on wii u retail ive seen cheapr on other machines at some point (pc, 360, ps3), every single one so far.

either way, your first post was fail (u confused act of suing with actual news of him winning lawsuit), but glad you admitted it so lets move on.

you came off as scerred of bad nintendo news. nintendo guilty of infringing, big deal. it's only big deal to nintendo & butthurt sheep.

I have hard copies but thanks for not knowing.  Next.....   I can even show you just for some more ownage.  Have you included DLC to those games like Batman AC like the Revenge of harley quinn DLC ?  Noooo... Hahaha!!!  What a muppet.  Tekken Tag 2 has Extra content and cost less here in UK than on 360 and also AC3 was £25 2 weeks ago at Smyths.  20 what exactly?!  Potatoes ? Animal Skins? Fat women ?  

I admitted before you jumped onto to the self proclaimed ownage and even said "i apoligies" to the Topic Creator.  You attempted to make a big deal of it and looked stupid when attempting it.  

I was scarred of what exactly  I dont have stocks in Nintendo like i said previously and it doesnt directly or indirectly affect me in any possible way but you wanted to troll.  Be smart and think for a while rather than thinking people are all like yourself who cry about trivial information.

Yes a terrible troll as i already admitted to being wrong previously and obliterated all your arguments. Sadly you had to carry on.

And there is my 360 and Wii which i sold due to it collecting dust.  More ownage towards you. Its on my FB page which im logged onto so i didnt put much effort into finding it on out.

405559_10150578431164493_1436864545_n.jp

I can also add a pic of my WiiU and my hard copies of games and also my 3DS just to own you that incy bit more.  Hitting a nerve?  I'd say its correcting your stupidity more so than hitting a nerve.  

NEXT....

#39 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -
More patent wars. Oh well, glad the guy who created the technology is getting due credit, and as for Nintendo, the 3D on the 3DS doesn't even matter in the long run, that handheld is all about the games. As long as Nintendo keeps the games coming, then I don't really care about patent cases and legislations.
#40 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

HaloPimp978

thats how human race advances.

sheep are dumb and believe nintendo are aliens.

#41 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

CaptainGamespot

thats how human race advances.

sheep are dumb and believe nintendo are aliens.

nintendo is more of a God rather than an inferior extraterrestrial being.
#42 Posted by Liquid_ (2365 posts) -

30.2 million, ouch.

#43 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"] That makes no sense as i owned my 360 previous to my WiiU. WiiU has been terrible which i've admitted several times and main reason i brought it was for MH TRI. Sureee you got thoee games cheaper.... lol, I just call that flamebaiting. I'm mad because i was the first person to post in a topic? RIGHHHTTT LMAO... makes total sense. I must be a terrible Fanboy when i can admit the flaws of a console and since 1990 have always owned multiple consoles unlike Fanboys on here who'd eat crap off a shovel. You are a terrible Troll. dobzilian

I have hard copies but thanks for not knowing.  Next.....   I can even show you just for some more ownage.  Have you included DLC to those games like Batman AC like the Revenge of harley quinn DLC ?  Noooo... Hahaha!!!  What a muppet.  20 what exactly?!  Potatoes ? Animal Skins? Fat women ?  

I admitted before you jumped onto to the self proclaimed ownage and even said "i apoligies" to the Topic Creator.  You attempted to make a big deal of it and looked stupid when attempting it. 

I was scarred of what exactly  I dont have stocks in Nintendo like i said previously and it doesnt directly or indirectly affect me in any possible way but you wanted to troll.  Be smart and think for a while rather than thinking people are all like yourself who cry about trivial information.

Yes a terrible troll as i already admitted to being wrong previously and obliterated all your arguments. Sadly you had to carry on.

And there is my 360 and Wii which i sold due to it collecting dust.  More ownage towards you.

I can also add a pic of my WiiU and my hard copies of games and also my 3DS just to own you that incy bit more.  Hitting a nerve?  I'd say its correcting your stupidity more so than hitting a nerve.  

NEXT....

:lol:

u hit this guys nerve.

strawman2.jpg

i never said you didn't own that stuff.

i said u were preempting damage control with your first post & u were.

you also got emotional.

it's true about dlc, if i wanted those, i had to buy them on sale as well. just wait, everything goes on sale.

#44 Posted by hiphops_savior (7828 posts) -
Nothing big, 30 million flat is chump change. Nintendo isn't going to have to pay royalties, and even then, can always buy the patent off the person.
#45 Posted by Technoweirdo (7072 posts) -

[QUOTE="Technoweirdo"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

The 3DSs screens are made by Sharp which is a 3rd Party and they make TVs.

Ah, there we go. Nintendo's safe as far as I'm concerned.

...Then again, shouldn't Sharp be sued? Or do you always go for the product owner in a patent infringement case then the product owner goes after whoever they got the tech from?

#46 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

CaptainGamespot

I have hard copies but thanks for not knowing.  Next.....   I can even show you just for some more ownage.  Have you included DLC to those games like Batman AC like the Revenge of harley quinn DLC ?  Noooo... Hahaha!!!  What a muppet.  20 what exactly?!  Potatoes ? Animal Skins? Fat women ?  

And there is my 360 and Wii which i sold due to it collecting dust.  More ownage towards you.

NEXT....

u hit this guys nerve.

strawman2.jpg

you also got emotional.

it's true about dlc, if i wanted those, i had to buy them on sale as well. just wait, everything goes on sale.

Avoiding answering questions i see. So those games where 20 what exactly? Cmon now Troll was it USD, Pound Sterling, Euro's?

Preemptive damage control?! LOL.... I made a mistake on something so its not exactly damage control now is it you muppet lol.

Emotional lol.... Oh my i'm going to slit my wrists and drink vodka while listening to Enya or sumit LMAO. You dont know what you are on about and its the only line you got now is "you got emotional" which is incorrect i'm not i just enjoy owning Trolls.

I got the DLC free ... Free is better than paying for something even if its on sale.

Oh wow you can post a Scarecrow picture... Whooppeeee ... Shame you cannot put up a decent argument but you can put up a picture.

#47 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

[QUOTE="dobzilian"]

NEXT....

dobzilian

u hit this guys nerve.

strawman2.jpg

you also got emotional.

Avoiding answering questions i see. So those games where 20 what exactly? Cmon now Troll was it USD, Pound Sterling, Euro's? Preemptive damage control?! LOL.... I made a mistake on something so its not exactly damage control now is it you muppet lol. Emotional lol.... Oh my i'm going to slit my wrists and drink vodka while listening to Enya or sumit LMAO. You dont know what you are on about and its the only line you got now is "you got emotional" which is incorrect i'm not i just enjoy owning Trolls. I got the DLC free ... Free is better than paying for something even if its on sale. Oh wow you can post a Scarecrow picture... Whooppeeee ...

please don't hurt yourself.

im just talking about games. if this helps, i'm sorry. please be careful out there.

#48 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -
Wtf is going on here? :lol:
#49 Posted by Shielder7 (5142 posts) -
Patents were once used to protect inventors, now they're just used for fat cats to sue one another over who came up with round edges first. Patents are no longer needed and protect no one.
#50 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

Wtf is going on here? :lol:Xaero_Gravity