Nintendo DS vs PSP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Nintendo DS vs PSP (43 votes)

Nintendo DS 67%
PSP 33%

#1 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11953 posts) -

The one that has The World Ends With You.

#2 Posted by darkspineslayer (19998 posts) -

Pokémon, TWEWY, Megaman, Metroid, Mario...well, I don't think I need to go on, as much as I enjoyed the GoW and PSP Megaman games...

#3 Posted by GhoX (5062 posts) -

Both had very good games, but DS simply has far too many more than PSP. Of course, the difference in number of good exclusives back then is not as great as the CHASM between 3DS and Vita this current gen.

#4 Edited by charizard1605 (58911 posts) -

Just want to point out, the DS edges out the PSP in terms of sheer quantity, but the PSP was an incredible, incredible handheld with a hell of a library. What a system, really.

#5 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17286 posts) -

DS. PSP is my all time dust collecting king.

#6 Edited by charizard1605 (58911 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

What? How?

#7 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

DS with ease

Chrono Trigger DS NA coverBowsersinsidestorycover.jpg255767The World Ends With You.jpgDragonQuestIXBoxArtJP.pngRadiant Historia Cover Art.jpgMph cover updated999 Cover Art.jpg

#8 Edited by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

I'll give credit where credit is due.. the PSP had an amazing lineup of JRPG games (Tactics Ogre, Crisis Core, Star Ocean 1/2, Kingdom Hearts BBS, Lunar Silver Star Harmony) not to mention the absolute definitive version of Devil's Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (complete with the full version of Symphony of the Night!!). Throw in Patapon 1, 2, and 3, the Dissidia Final Fantasy games, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and you have at numerous of hundreds of hours worth of nothing less than stellar titles.

That said? Even with the amazing games that I listed above I still find myself going back to the DS. Not because I think the games were *better* per se (matter of opinion, yo) but because the DS simply had more games. I simply cannot list them all here because it would take way too fucking long but you get the picture...

My vote: DS.. but the PSP is still an amazing piece of hardware with a plethora of amazing games.

#9 Edited by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

They should make a The World Ends With Two... or The Worlds Ends With You Too... or The World Ends With Us. This would make 3DS the perfect machine for RPG's.

#10 Posted by GhoX (5062 posts) -

Personally I enjoyed Radiant Historia the most on DS. I'd buy a Vita if its sequel somehow comes out only on Vita.

#11 Edited by Blabadon (27156 posts) -

DS + 999 > DS = PSP

#12 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5788 posts) -

DS.

#13 Posted by voljin1987 (743 posts) -

DS by a long shot.. It had two of my fav new IPs.. Professor Layton and Ace Attorney

I would list the sequel to my fav game ever, Yoshi's island... but the DS version music was atrocious so did not enjoy it much.. as it stands, the DS Lite with its backwards compatibility is the system to own if you want to play old school jrpgs..

#14 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17286 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

What? How?

There's nothing on it that I like. I bought two of them due to the launch hype (one for me and one for my brother), but it turned out to be the dumbest gaming purchase I've ever made.

#15 Posted by starjet905 (1936 posts) -

Am I the first person voting for PSP here?

I'm probably one of those rare people who liked being able to play home console-esque games on the go. I loved games like Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep and the PSP GTA games, since those games weren't designed with focus given to the fact that the console is a portable one. In my opinion, those games were what made full use of the PSP's capabilities.

Then there were the faithful ports like Persona 3 Portable (hell, that was actually improved over the original, and if The Answer was included, it would've been the best version). Sure, the PSP wasn't the only place to play that, but why people focused on that so much, I never understood. You couldn't take a PS2 and a TV around with you to play Persona 3, after all.

I'm guessing that the reason why the DS won so easily was that people like me were a minority. Most people wanted games that were tailored specifically for portable gaming. Then again, I didn't have a problem enjoying those games too, even though I didn't personally own a DS.

That said, I have no idea what to go for this generation. The Vita seems like my kind of console, but that seems to be dead in the water as far as games go, and the 2DS sounds really appealing, with its low price, and the library of games aren't bad at all.

#16 Edited by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoyed my psp. The PS1 and PSP games kept me entertained for many years.

I got the chance to play final fantasy 7 on it and boy was i hooked. 150hours+ spent on it

#17 Posted by bumsonfire (225 posts) -

DS owns PSP with ease, one because PSP is made by Sony (HA GAY) and two, because my all time fav games were on it :)

#18 Edited by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -

That was the best handheld gen, ever. Both had their own strengths and weaknesses, the PSP had some excellent racing and sports games, while the DS had fantastic new experiences, and in a sense, is a forerunner to the IPhone.

#19 Posted by charizard1605 (58911 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

That was the best handheld gen, ever. Both had their own strengths and weaknesses, the PSP had some excellent racing and sports games, while the DS had fantastic new experiences, and in a sense, is a forerunner to the IPhone.

Are you sure that's a compliment? :P

#20 Posted by FinalFighters (1628 posts) -

The one that has Hotel Dusk room 215

#21 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Just want to point out, the DS edges out the PSP in terms of sheer quantity, but the PSP was an incredible, incredible handheld with a hell of a library. What a system, really.

Yup, this. Anyone saying the PSP was a shit system hasn't given it enough time. Just browse around and you'll see it has an excellent library of games. The DS is my preferred system but not by a long shot.

If Sony can support the PS Vita as much as they did with the PSP then it will turn out to be an excellent handheld.

#22 Posted by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -

@StriateEnd said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yup, this. Anyone saying the PSP was a shit system hasn't given it enough time. Just browse around and you'll see it has an excellent library of games. The DS is my preferred system but not by a long shot.

If Sony can support the PS Vita as much as they did with the PSP then it will turn out to be an excellent handheld.

Only one problem, there's no Burnout games. It's probably the one reason why I used my friend's PSP so often before I got a DS Lite.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (58911 posts) -

@StriateEnd said:

@charizard1605 said:

Pity that Sony seems to have all but given up on the Vita :/

#24 Posted by mems_1224 (47448 posts) -

lol DS easily. I only got a DS 2 years ago and have already had way more fun with it than my PSP in like 7 years

#25 Edited by LustForSoul (5898 posts) -

Easily the PSP for me. I don't think I've spent more time playing games on any other console.

#26 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

You should dust off that PSP and google around and you will be surprised with what you can do with it

#27 Edited by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

DS was awesome but PSP had Peace Walker and MH:FU, probably my 2 favourite handheld games ever next to Pokemon Leaf Green.

Eh I'll go with the DS overall I guess.

#28 Posted by madsnakehhh (14601 posts) -

How is that even a question? there are like 3 or 4 games i would love to play on the PSP...but the DS was ridiculous...i still played it more than my 3DS...specially since i recently got Final Fantasy Tactics and Radiant Historia.

#29 Edited by wiifan001 (18436 posts) -

Ace Attorney, The World Ends With You, Professor Layton, mario zelda, castlevania, dragon quest, pokemon

Yeah definitely the freekin DS