deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

You can check out the details here, but long story short, I am sure some of you remember that Nintendo filed a renewal for the trademark of Eternal Darkness a while ago; the issue with getting trademarks renewed is showing that the property in question is in active use, as opposed to a dead IP that no one is using and you are just planning on hoarding. Nintendo today filed a follow up application, where they confirm that a new Eternal Darkness game is in fact in development.

Yum. Eternal Darkness on Gamecube was amazing. What could this be? A port for Wii U or 3DS? A remake? A sequel? What system would it be on?

The juicy bits:

MARK: ETERNAL DARKNESS

SERIAL NUMBER: 86017853

The applicant, Nintendo of America Inc., having an address of

4600 150th Avenue NE

Redmond, Washington 98052

United States

requests a six-month extension of time to file the Statement of Use under 37 C.F.R. Section 2.89 in this application. The Notice of Allowance mailing date was 12/31/2013.

The applicant has a continued bona fide intention to use or use through the applicant's related company or licensee the mark in commerce on or in connection with all of the goods and/or services listed in the Notice of Allowance or as subsequently modified for this specific class.

This is the second extension request. The applicant has made the following ongoing efforts to use the mark in commerce on or in connection with each of those goods and/or services covered by the extension request: product or service research or development

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Hopefully an HD remake.

I can't bother myself to search for the Gamecube version.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I wouldn't mind a new version that takes advantage of the power we've got available to us now. My real question is who's responsible for making it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Still toying around with the ED trademark, I see.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Hoping they do both a HD remake and a sequel. Both would be welcome additions to Wii U. They should also be racing to port Fatal Frame to Wii U as well.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Aren't companies always extending copyright / trademark of their publishing assets?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Eternal Darkness is another name for the amount of time you wait until Nintendo releases the next Wii U game #rofl

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I am curious, what will WiiU get between now and 2nd half of 2015 when Zelda and Starfox come?

Wasnt Eternal Darkness a failed crownd founding game not long ago?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

I am curious, what will WiiU get between now and 2nd half of 2015 when Zelda and Starfox come?

Captain Toad (depending on region), Kirby, Yoshi, and Splatoon. Xenoblade Chronicles X is rumored for a spring launch in Japan as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Kirby, Yoshi, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Devil's Third, Xenoblade off the top of my head. Along with Star Fox and Zelda, that is one good lineup.

No, that was a 'spiritual successor' floated by the developers of the original game.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

half life 3 confirmed

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I would be interested if done right. More interested in new game though.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I would not mind a remake of that game. I have it for the Gamecube but just can't seem to actually start playing it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No fucking remake, unless it's also confirmed they are making a sequel. A spiritual successor. Whatever the **** it would be as Eternal Darkness would be that company actually doing something cool with one of their studios. **** Retro Studios or Nintendo's main team (EAD or whatever) on this would be such a fucking turn on.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Hopefully not a remake.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@thedude- said:

Hopefully not a remake.

^ New ED game & not another remake/HD remake. :P

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Holy shit

@jg4xchamp said:

No fucking remake, unless it's also confirmed they are making a sequel. A spiritual successor. Whatever the **** it would be as Eternal Darkness would be that company actually doing something cool with one of their studios. **** Retro Studios or Nintendo's main team (EAD or whatever) on this would be such a fucking turn on.

I totally see Nintendo handing over development duties to one of their western studios/partners. Retro Studios wrapped up TF a while ago.....could be

..... ****

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp

@Thunderdrone said:

Holy shit

@jg4xchamp said:

I totally see Nintendo handing over development duties to one of their western studios/partners. Retro Studios wrapped up TF a while ago.....could be

..... ****

Right? with the work that company did on Metroid, surely they would be the best equipped to handle Eternal Darkness, or they could outsource it to the Fatal Frame cats...and also bring Fatal Frame over. But that would be Nintendo being cool.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thunderdrone

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

Holy shit

@jg4xchamp said:

..... ****

Right? with the work that company did on Metroid, surely they would be the best equipped to handle Eternal Darkness, or they could outsource it to the Fatal Frame cats...and also bring Fatal Frame over. But that would be Nintendo being cool.

Still hoping that at least NoE keeps being awesome and localizes the Wii U game like they did FF2 Wii edition.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

@Thunderdrone said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Still hoping that at least NoE keeps being awesome and localizes the Wii U game like they did FF2 Wii edition.

Fatal Frame 2 already existed, the fact that they didn't bring over Fatal Frame 4 was annoying as hell. Nintendo sitting on some prime ass shit, and barely doing anything with it.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thunderdrone

@jg4xchamp said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Fatal Frame 2 already existed, the fact that they didn't bring over Fatal Frame 4 was annoying as hell. Nintendo sitting on some prime ass shit, and barely doing anything with it.

The worst part was that NoE was ready to release FF4 in Europe and the whole thing fell through when Grasshopper Manufacture refused to fix any of the game breaking bugs on the game code. The whole situation was dumb as **** with both sides not budging.

One thing I should say though, even if you already played FF2 the Wii remake is totally worth playing. New assets, new gameplay perspective, entirely new voice acting and scenes etc...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Would be great to see. However I wouldn't get too excited, many companies oftentimes renew trademarks yet never act on them (Shenmue IIRC?). This could also be for anything.....Amiibos? Again, it'd be wonderful to see, but I'll hold out celebrating until an official announcement is made and wouldn't go so far as to consider this an 'accidental confirmation'. As much as I'd love it, once again the pessimist in me overrides all else.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@superbuuman said:

@thedude- said:

Hopefully not a remake.

^ New ED game & not another remake/HD remake. :P

Yes please. I have all those systems. I don't throw anything away. I do not want development budgets to keep coming to old games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Hopefully it is a combo package of a remake and a new game like Bayonetta 2. No point in having a second game if people can't experience the first before diving into the second.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I was never able to get my hands on a copy of the original, though I did borrow a friend's copy for a little bit. It was interesting, though I think I'd have more of an appreciation for it now. So I'd be interested in this if it does come out.

And I agree with what @foxhound_fox said. It'd be great to have a package with both; it's what sold me on getting Bayonetta 2 when I did.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Hopefully an HD remake.

I can't bother myself to search for the Gamecube version.

Wow people actually WANT hd remakes now??

Please Nintendo, make an original game.

HD remakes are not that impressive Eternal Darkness was great at the time, and in many ways it it still is, but all software will age in more ways than just graphics. Eternal Darkness was also a very high-concept game which would benefit from starting from scratch to refine the ideas a bit more.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Captain Toad (depending on region), Kirby, Yoshi, and Splatoon. Xenoblade Chronicles X is rumored for a spring launch in Japan as well.

@charizard1605 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

Kirby, Yoshi, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Devil's Third, Xenoblade off the top of my head. Along with Star Fox and Zelda, that is one good lineup.

No, that was a 'spiritual successor' floated by the developers of the original game.

Ah forgot about Yoshi yarn, that game looks just gorgeous will get that for sure. Dont think Xenoblade going to make it in EU region before 2nd half of 2015 tho but we see

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@GunSmith1_basic: huge difference between year old/last gen ports to games no longer available for purchase.

Tales of Symphonia was a good re-release. The Last of Us was not.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@GunSmith1_basic: huge difference between year old/last gen ports to games no longer available for purchase.

That's fair enough I suppose, but I remember last year when Nintendo released the Wind Waker, and I viewed that as a huge insult to a loyal fan like myself. The biggest game for the system was one that I already played a couple of times. Wind Waker also has to be the LAST game that should have been remastered since it still looks great on the GC. That's not exciting software for me, and neither would be ED, which I beat multiple times as well (it's a game that requires multiple playthroughs to get the 'true' ending). These types of titles create a strong message that the console is not meant for long time fans, but for new ones only.

Bottom line, I just think that Nintendo should do a better job at developing their game library. An HD remake should be an afterthought if all other priorities are met first.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I never did get around to playing the original regardless that I had a GameCube and wanted to play it. I hear good things about it though. I hope it's what you Nintendo fans are hoping it to be.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

Hopefully this isn't Retro Studio's next project. I want a new Metroid on Wii U from them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I can confirm Eternal Darkness as one of the most overrated games of all time.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Rovelius said:

Hopefully this isn't Retro Studio's next project. I want a new Metroid on Wii U from them.

God forbid they work on something else. May as well have asked Rare for nothing but Donkey Kong, because Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Killer Instinct/Conker/Banjo/Blast Corps/Jet Force Gemini shouldn't exist. :roll:

This doesn't help the infamous and hypocritical reputation of Nintendo fans being "nostalgic".

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rovelius

@nintendoboy16: That's cute but where did I say Retro HAD to make Metroid? I only said I (with a capital i, meaning SUBJECTIVELY) wanted another one from them - I am NOT saying they should make ONLY this. That's only what I WISHED they would do - and I will keep hoping for more of my favorite game series but will take anything else they make.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendoboy16

@Rovelius said:

@nintendoboy16: That's cute but where did I say Retro HAD to make Metroid? I only said I (with a capital i, meaning SUBJECTIVELY) wanted another one from them - I am NOT saying they should make ONLY this. That's only what I WISHED they would do - and I will keep hoping for more of my favorite game series but will take anything else they make.

It's just the mentality I get from the Metroid fanbase ever since Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid: Other M released (the latter getting sour, Sonic 06 like reception from fans). I just think that since Retro WANTED to move on from Metroid after Prime 3, they shouldn't be involved with ANYTHING Metroid related for a while and let another team do it (without Sakamoto involved of course and that's confirmed by the man himself).

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

**** you dude, I personally know three Xbox 360 gamers who bought PS4s for Last Of Us. They did not and will not have PS3s, so Last Of Us was a PS4 system seller to them, considering most games they'll want are multiplats and on both PS4 and Xbone. Where do you get the arrogance to say they are wrong for that? Or that the game shouldn't have happened? Systems Wars people are so removed from reality...

Btw were you complaining when Nintendo got a bajillion PS2 ports on Wii? Or 360/PS3 ports on WiiU?

@Thunderdrone said:

..... ****

That would be an incredibly awesome thing, therefore I don't expect it. Despite how good the DK Country Returns games are, I believe Nintendo has wasted Retro's talent on them. They should have released a new action adventure game as good as Prime by now, not just more 2D platformers to blend in with Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, Wario, Rayman, Sonic, etc.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LegatoSkyheart

@locopatho said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

**** you dude, I personally know three Xbox 360 gamers who bought PS4s for Last Of Us. They did not and will not have PS3s, so Last Of Us was a PS4 system seller to them, considering most games they'll want are multiplats and on both PS4 and Xbone. Where do you get the arrogance to say they are wrong for that? Or that the game shouldn't have happened? Systems Wars people are so removed from reality...

Btw were you complaining when Nintendo got a bajillion PS2 ports on Wii? Or 360/PS3 ports on WiiU?

Harsh words. Regardless of your "exceptions of the rule" friends, The Last of Us Remastered is STILL a terrible Re-Release, considering all it really is, is just a delayed release. Hardly worth it being called a "Remastering". With this Logic Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes for the PC is a Remaster. (....yeah...)

Not only that but when That version launched the PS3 versions were FAR cheaper than that Version, What your Friends did was simply what many normal person would do when they get a new console. Get a System that has game you want to play, but with the perks of getting games for the future. It's exactly the same thing as someone getting Metro or Fable Anniversary or Halo Anniversary on the 360 or whatever. But that's besides the point.

You're just throwing curse words at me to justify your purchase assuming that's why you're so EAGER to defend That pathetic excuse of a Remastering. Go ahead and compare The Last of Us Remastering to the likes of Windwaker HD or Halo 2 Anniversary. Those are legit Remasters, where The Last of Us falls in is with the likes of Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and GTA V remasters not really a remastering just re-releasing the game on better hardware.

That's not to say that Windwaker HD and Halo 2 didn't have their fair share of problems. Windwaker HD was far over priced and Halo MCC was just buggy.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 locopatho

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Harsh words. Regardless of your "exceptions of the rule" friends, The Last of Us Remastered is STILL a terrible Re-Release, considering all it really is, is just a delayed release. Hardly worth it being called a "Remastering". With this Logic Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes for the PC is a Remaster. (....yeah...)

Not only that but when That version launched the PS3 versions were FAR cheaper than that Version, What your Friends did was simply what many normal person would do when they get a new console. Get a System that has game you want to play, but with the perks of getting games for the future. It's exactly the same thing as someone getting Metro or Fable Anniversary or Halo Anniversary on the 360 or whatever. But that's besides the point.

You're just throwing curse words at me to justify your purchase assuming that's why you're so EAGER to defend That pathetic excuse of a Remastering. Go ahead and compare The Last of Us Remastering to the likes of Windwaker HD or Halo 2 Anniversary. Those are legit Remasters, where The Last of Us falls in is with the likes of Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and GTA V remasters not really a remastering just re-releasing the game on better hardware.

That's not to say that Windwaker HD and Halo 2 didn't have their fair share of problems. Windwaker HD was far over priced and Halo MCC was just buggy.

Harsh words yes, but you deserve because you are a very silly person indeed. I don't have a PS4. I didn't buy the Last Of Us Remastered. Fucking hell, I didn't even buy the original game, I played my roomates copy. Stop assuming things.

I'm just pissed off that people like you utterly dismiss the benefits of new people getting to play arguably the greatest game of the 7th gen. "oh it's a terrible rerelease". You are acting like it's exclusively for the people who already own it on PS3, and that they are FORCED to rebuy it.

News flash: it's for people who never owned a PS3 (like my 3 Xbox 360 friends I already mentioned) and for hardcore fans who want the best version (another friend who considers it his favourite game ever, he's played it to death on both PS3 and PS4 now).

I ask you again: where do you get the breathtaking arrogance to tell these gamers they are wrong? That they are playing a "pathetic excuse" (your words) instead of the amazing game they "think" they are enjoying?

I repeat: System Wars is so detached from reality it's stopped being funny, and btw, please anwser: were you complaining just as loudly when Wii got Resi 4, Twilight Princess and Okami? Or WiiU got Arkham City, or Assassin's Creed, or Darksiders II?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Thunderdrone

@locopatho said:

That would be an incredibly awesome thing, therefore I don't expect it. Despite how good the DK Country Returns games are, I believe Nintendo has wasted Retro's talent on them. They should have released a new action adventure game as good as Prime by now, not just more 2D platformers to blend in with Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, Wario, Rayman, Sonic, etc.

Well, Retro only had done the Metroid Prime games so far. Giving them the job of reviving a platform series and them ending up doing some of the best work done in the genre so far, is a validation of their quality and for the team a breath of fresh air I assume.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rovelius

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Rovelius said:

It's just the mentality I get from the Metroid fanbase ever since Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid: Other M released (the latter getting sour, Sonic 06 like reception from fans). I just think that since Retro WANTED to move on from Metroid after Prime 3, they shouldn't be involved with ANYTHING Metroid related for a while and let another team do it (without Sakamoto involved of course and that's confirmed by the man himself).

And I should care about your over-generalization because.......?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho

@Thunderdrone said:

@locopatho said:

Well, Retro only had done the Metroid Prime games so far. Giving them the job of reviving a platform series and them ending up doing some of the best work done in the genre so far, is a validation of their quality and for the team a breath of fresh air I assume.

Sure, they definitely didn't disappoint with DK. I just mean that Nintendo already have piles of that genre, and piles of devs who can create that genre, while I really feel Retro could be creating much bigger, more ambitious top tier games for them.

Basically, I think they've never recreated what they unleashed with the first Prime game and it's "Holy shit best game ever out of nowhere" level of shocking quality, being stuck on sequels ever since, that (with Donkey Kong) have gotten smaller and less ambitious, rather than bigger and more ambitious. That's just my opinion though. I would like to see another AAA blockbuster game from them.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

I don't know if today's younger gamers would appreciate Eternal Darkness. This was the era when Resident Evil still had fixed cameras and tank controls. Eternal Darkness was better but it plays differently to games today.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#44 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

By Mistake? New developer?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

Well, a couple things from that article:

1. This is the second extension...
  2. ....meaning they re-registered......then extended and we still have no game
  3. Nintendo is known for lengthy waits for big titles
  4. There are big titles coming 2015
  5. Even if it were true....what developer could possibly make it worth the wait? Silicon Knights of today?

Ill contain my excitement for now

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I still have my (quite unplayed) copy of Eternal Darkness for the GC. Not sure why I never got around to play it more. I got stuck somewhere and stopped. I've been thinking that I must play it sometime, but if there's a remake in the works, I might hold out. A sequel of some sorts would be more awesome.