Nintendo after the Wii U?

#51 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9891 posts) -

I think Nintendo can have the Wiiu produce a small profit over the gen. They are still loaded with cash from the previous gen so they'll get at least one other kick at the can

#52 Posted by gamecubepad (6632 posts) -

I'd hope that Nintendo won't just abandon the WiiU. They need to make things right with the fans and riding out the WiiU for another 3yrs is the only way to go.

They needed to go one way or the other, either all Wii or none. Their shit got mixed up because of that. Honestly, after WiiU it will be time to ditch that concept, avoid pitfalls like VR and AR, and go for a spiritual successor to the NES>SNES line. That means throwing all current control schemes(wiimote, wiiu tab, 360 pad on crack) in the trash and going back to a solid pad akin to the NES bone or SNES pad, but modernized.

Also ninty titles all need to go on a loop similar to MS and Sony. Yes, more and more rehashes. 2D and 3D. At least it's new content every year.

---

Going 3rd-party to phones or some dumb shit like that would dilute their games and eventually sink the whole company. Word to your mom.

#53 Posted by stuff238 (952 posts) -

I see nintendo going 3rd party within the next 10 years. The wii u is already a failure. Their next console will break them. They refuse to spend money and make a great system. They rely on gimmicks, but there is no more gimmicks left to do....except VR.....but they can't afford that. So this leaves the Hybrid idea....which they also wont do because that makes too much logical sense. This ends with nintendo releasing another dud and them going 3rd party.

#54 Edited by superbuuman (3240 posts) -

Mr Iwata will surely be remove if things don't pick up -> QoL stuff. :p

#55 Posted by sailor232 (5107 posts) -

Whatever we the gamers want, Nintendo wont do. So the opposite of a powerful system, the opposite of an amazing online ecosystem, no Pokemon console game from the main series, no ultra realistic Zelda in full HD glory, no system that just has a controller that has no added gimmicks, no third party support. Like it's been said by Nintendo themselves, they are not competing with the other companies out there.

#56 Posted by DocSanchez (2379 posts) -

@sailor232: And people will make excuses for them at every turn. Either by saying they never wanted those things anyway (why wouldn't you want cutting edge graphics?) or by saying it's too hard for Nintendo to accomplish, even though they are happy to boast about Nintendo's cash reserves and the competition have both managed.

Nintendo wont change and their fanboys are standing in the way of progress. I've seen more and more old school Nintendo fans getting disgruntled and actually wanting change, so it's not a lost cause.

#57 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (6256 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

Whatever we the gamers want, Nintendo wont do. So the opposite of a powerful system, the opposite of an amazing online ecosystem, no Pokemon console game from the main series, no ultra realistic Zelda in full HD glory, no system that just has a controller that has no added gimmicks, no third party support. Like it's been said by Nintendo themselves, they are not competing with the other companies out there.

Ultra realistic Zelda? Hell no! Zelda is a japanese anime style fantasy franchise. It'll never be the way Elder Scrolls is. MM and TP is the amount of darkness and realism the series needs (hell, even in SS Demise is basically Satan while his incarnation of hatred, Ganondorf, the Antichrist).

#58 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3877 posts) -

They SHOULD make a console/handheld hybrid. The Wii U would be MUCH more successful if the gamepad had its own functionality without the console.

If they REALLY want to see HUGE success they need to bring those great handheld titles to the big screen. I would buy that for the RPG's alone.

#59 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26409 posts) -

I just hope WiiU was a wake up call to Nintendo that they REALLY need to change to stay relevant.

#60 Posted by getyeryayasout (8526 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I just hope WiiU was a wake up call to Nintendo that they REALLY need to change to stay relevant.

If the WiiU isn't that wake up call, I can't imagine what would be.

#61 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34324 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

If the WiiU isn't that wake up call, I can't imagine what would be.

The Wii U probably is one of Iwata's first real struggles. handhelds fare much better for Nintendo; the DS worked out great and the 3DS started out rough but didn't take too long to improve and become fine as well. They managed to think a nifty idea with the Wii and make some serious bank with that. The Wii U seems to be the first time Iwata really dropped the ball and be put in a very difficult situation, and really be in a position where he had to get his sh*t together. So far he really hasn't managed to handle it well.

This does make me curious as to how the rest of gen 8 will fare for Nintendo, and how this will impact their hardware decisions once we start getting closer to gen 9.

#62 Posted by Butcer2 (67 posts) -

@flashn00b said:

One thing which i'm genuinely curious about is where Nintendo will be headed once the Wii U's done and over with. At a glance, it seems that they can simply go all in on handhelds, though I dunno if that will actually work since handhelds can't exactly recreate the same spectacle that you see in home consoles and sufficiently potent PCs. At the same time, I really dunno if we can trust Nintendo with making a competitive home console.

they will survive most likly , nitendo has survived worse *cough* virtual boy *cough*

#63 Posted by MonsieurX (31715 posts) -

@Butcer2 said:

@flashn00b said:

One thing which i'm genuinely curious about is where Nintendo will be headed once the Wii U's done and over with. At a glance, it seems that they can simply go all in on handhelds, though I dunno if that will actually work since handhelds can't exactly recreate the same spectacle that you see in home consoles and sufficiently potent PCs. At the same time, I really dunno if we can trust Nintendo with making a competitive home console.

they will survive most likly , nitendo has survived worse *cough* virtual boy *cough*

1)Virtual Boy was a handheld

2)They killed it quickly

#64 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2733 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@Butcer2 said:

@flashn00b said:

1)Virtual Boy was a handheld

2)They killed it quickly

It also sold a lot worse than Wii U, and it was giving people horrendous headaches to simply play it. The Wii U isn't in quite as bad shape.

#65 Posted by emgesp (2512 posts) -

I think Nintendo should just stick with their handhelds and not even bother making a successor to the Wii U. Nobody cares about Nintendo home consoles anymore. Mario and Zelda games aren't enough anymore.

#66 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28089 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

I see nintendo going 3rd party within the next 10 years. The wii u is already a failure. Their next console will break them. They refuse to spend money and make a great system. They rely on gimmicks, but there is no more gimmicks left to do....except VR.....but they can't afford that. So this leaves the Hybrid idea....which they also wont do because that makes too much logical sense. This ends with nintendo releasing another dud and them going 3rd party.

They wouldn't even in ten years. They'd retreat from the industry before that (which as I've always said, is the better poison).

@emgesp said:

I think Nintendo should just stick with their handhelds and not even bother making a successor to the Wii U. Nobody cares about Nintendo home consoles anymore. Mario and Zelda games aren't enough anymore.

Just because their handhelds have better success, doesn't mean they should stick to just that. Even their handhelds are faltering in sales despite kicking the Vita's ass.

#67 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28089 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@sailor232 said:

Ultra realistic Zelda? Hell no! Zelda is a japanese anime style fantasy franchise. It'll never be the way Elder Scrolls is. MM and TP is the amount of darkness and realism the series needs (hell, even in SS Demise is basically Satan while his incarnation of hatred, Ganondorf, the Antichrist).

That is pretty much asking for a Devil May Cry level of derailment right there.

#68 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18687 posts) -

There are plenty of times I'm holding my Wii U tablet and think...I wish this would work outside.

#69 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7885 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

There are plenty of times I'm holding my Wii U tablet and think...I wish this would work outside.

Yeah. Honestly, if Nintendo's next handheld is just a portable Wii U tablet that is completely compatible with the existing Wii U library, I would be pretty excited about that.

#70 Posted by super600 (31126 posts) -

@emgesp said:

People do care, but the wiiu was planned wrong. Nintendo's brand name if you look at their handhelds is good right now.

#71 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@emgesp said:

The Wii was number one last gen.

#72 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Nintendo's console sales have been trending downward since the NES. Wii was an outlier that does not accurately reflect Nintendo's "pull" in the console market. The fad is over, hence Nintendo's current irrelevance with everyone but the dwindling Nintendo faithful.

#73 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MFDOOM1983: even though they've repeatedly stated that the qol stuff is a side venture not meant to replace their gaming division?

Yeah sure

They'll go where there's money to be made. Nintendo has evolved multiple times during its existence. Abandoning video games completely wouldn't be surprising given their history.

#74 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Nintendo's console sales have been trending downward since the NES. Wii was an outlier that does not accurately reflect Nintendo's "pull" in the console market. The fad is over, hence Nintendo's current irrelevance with everyone but the dwindling Nintendo faithful.

So has Sony in the console and handheld market since last gen, but that doesn't mean no one cares about their consoles anymore. Also, Nintendo is still succeeding in the handheld market, which means there are still people besides the Nintendo faithful who buy their stuff.

#75 Edited by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

So has Sony in the console and handheld market since last gen, but that doesn't mean no one cares about their consoles anymore. Also, Nintendo is still succeeding in the handheld market, which means there are still people besides the Nintendo faithful who buy their stuff.

PS4 is the fastest selling console Sony has ever released.

As you said Nintendo is still relevant in the handheld space, but their home console division is losing steam.

#76 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Did you just try to equate Nintendo's sales trends with Sony's? There's a high probability that ps3 will meet ps1's hardware sales. PS2 will end up being the outlier on the opposite end of the spectrum. BTW, PS4 is currently the fastest selling console of all time.

62m (Nes) > 48m (Snes) > 32m (n64) > 24m (gc) > Wii-u (sales projected to be < GC) = trending downward 100m (wii; oulier)

I thought it was quite clear we were talking about the console market. Nintendo's perceived successes in the handheld market have no bearing on their console sales.

#77 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Did you just try to equate Nintendo's sales trends with Sony's? There's a high probability that ps3 will meet ps1's hardware sales. PS2 will end up being the outlier on the opposite end of the spectrum. BTW, PS4 is currently the fastest selling console of all time.

62m (Nes) > 48m (Snes) > 32m (n64) > 24m (gc) > Wii-u (sales projected to be < GC) = trending downward 100m (wii; oulier)

I thought it was quite clear we were talking about the console market. Nintendo's perceived successes in the handheld market have no bearing on their console sales.

I doubt the PS3 will reach the PS1's numbers. Total sales for the PS3 were eighty million units as of November of last year in a Sony press release, and the PS1 sold 102 million units. I can't see it selling that much as the PS4 gets more games and less support over time.

I'm not equating the trend, but what I'm saying is that just because the trend has been this way for Nintendo does not mean they are irrelevant, especially since their games are still some of the highest selling games out there even during the generations where they were down trending. If they were in dead-last constantly (they've never come in last place because of Sega failures) and a distant last at that, they would be irrelevant. But they're still very relevant in the console industry even with the Wii-U's struggles, and should definitely not just leave the console industry like emgesp was saying they should because of one failed console (assuming the Wii-U does fail, which is still not a guarantee).

#78 Edited by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

I doubt the PS3 will reach the PS1's numbers. Total sales for the PS3 were eighty million units as of November of last year in a Sony press release, and the PS1 sold 102 million units. I can't see it selling that much as the PS4 gets more games and less support over time.

I'm not equating the trend, but what I'm saying is that just because the trend has been this way for Nintendo does not mean they are irrelevant, especially since their games are still some of the highest selling games out there even during the generations where they were down trending. If they were in dead-last constantly (they've never come in last place because of Sega failures) and a distant last at that, they would be irrelevant. But they're still very relevant in the console industry even with the Wii-U's struggles, and should definitely not just leave the console industry like emgesp was saying they should because of one failed console (assuming the Wii-U does fail, which is still not a guarantee).

The Original Wii was a very rare situation where the gimmick was enticing enough to bring in the casuals. Nintendo is not likely to achieve that kind of success with a console ever again. The Gamecube and Wii U proves that without an enticing gimmick Nintendo home consoles just won't sell all that great. Nintendo is losing relevancy in the home console market. Gamecube proves that all the great Nintendo 1st Party games can't save a console. The Wii U won't even sell as well as the Gamecube. The Gamecube was a failure. So that makes two failed consoles. Nintendo expected the Gamecube to sell well over 50 million consoles and it didn't even sell half that.

#79 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22649 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983: yes so they'll drop all of the money their franchises and handhelds make and immediately go full qol on whim.

I know thats your own personal wet dream but lets be realistic here

#80 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

PS3 still hasn't reached the magical $99.99 price point. You underestimate the amount of people looking to buy cheap consoles well into the next generation. PS2 sold 50m after its successor launched and PS1 sold 20m. I believe ps2 sold ~15 million in the first two years after ps3 released in the U.S. and U.K. combined. Also, emerging markets like south america (Brazil) will help boost sales numbers. I'm still seeing new games announced/planned for 360 and ps3. For example, Assassin's Creed. Popular titles like fifa and madden aren't going anywhere for at least another 3 years. 360 and PS3 both have a few more years left in them, I reckon.

Nintendo has put themselves in a corner. They've been abandoned by 3rd parties and burned a lot of goodwill with their fanbase in the previous generation. Dwindling console sales leads me to believe there's a mass exodus by Nintendo fans who are no longer content with Nintendo's meager offerings on consoles. For them, 3ds is sufficient enough for their mario fix.

Irrelevant might be too harsh. I think niche is a more accurate description of Nintendo's current position in this market. They'll probably sell ~20m this generation. Next time even less, if they release a traditional console at all.

'assuming the Wii-U does fail, which is still not a guarantee' C'mon. Wii-U is dead.

#81 Edited by emgesp (2512 posts) -

Can Nintendo ever make a console without a gimmick attached to it and be successful? I just don't see Nintendo catching lightning in the bottle twice. What kind of gimmick can Nintendo come up with that would get the casuals excited again? I'm specifically talking about their home console division, not handhelds. IMHO, power does matter especially when you don't have an enticing gimmick to rely on. The reason why the Wii U isn't getting great third party support is because of its weak hardware compared to the competition. Do you really think the Wii U would be selling like crap right now if it was as powerful as the XB1/PS4 and having a year head start? Third Party Developers would have fully supported that console and many hardcore gamers would have bought it, especially if it was priced around $399.99.

I know people hate the comparison but the Wii U is really following the same path as the Dreamcast.

#82 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

The Original Wii was a very rare situation where the gimmick was enticing enough to bring in the casuals. Nintendo is not likely to achieve that kind of success with a console ever again. The Gamecube and Wii U proves that without an enticing gimmick Nintendo home consoles just won't sell all that great. Nintendo is losing relevancy in the home console market. Gamecube proves that all the great Nintendo 1st Party games can't save a console. The Wii U won't even sell as well as the Gamecube. The Gamecube was a failure. So that makes two failed consoles. Nintendo expected the Gamecube to sell well over 50 million consoles and it didn't even sell half that.

They have before, why wouldn't they again?

The Wii-U can still sell more than the GameCube. Will it happen? I don't know; it depends not only on how Nintendo handles the console, but on what happens regarding their competition. I don't see why the GameCube was a failure though. It didn't sell all that great, but it wasn't very far behind the Xbox (24 million) and I believe Nintendo still made a profit on it. It didn't even come in last place. The DreamCast did. The DreamCast is a failure. It only sold a little over ten million units and resulted in Sega dropping out of the console industry.

#83 Posted by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

The Wii-U can still sell more than the GameCube. Will it happen? I don't know; it depends not only on how Nintendo handles the console, but on what happens regarding their competition. I don't see why the GameCube was a failure though. It didn't sell all that great, but it wasn't very far behind the Xbox (24 million) and I believe Nintendo still made a profit on it. It didn't even come in last place. The DreamCast did. The DreamCast is a failure. It only sold a little over ten million units and resulted in Sega dropping out of the console industry.

What can the Wii U do that the Gamecube couldn't do to entice more gamers to purchase the console? The Wii U is basically just getting sequels of games you already played on the Gamecube. Where are all the new enticing I.P.'s? Sure we will see lots of sequels on the XB1/PS4, but at least we are seeing some new I.P. being created as well.

#84 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

PS3 still hasn't reached the magical $99.99 price point. You underestimate the amount of people looking to buy cheap consoles well into the next generation. PS2 sold 50m after its successor launched and PS1 sold 20m. I believe ps2 sold ~15 million in the first two years after ps3 released in the U.S. and U.K. combined. Also, emerging markets like south america (Brazil) will help boost sales numbers. I'm still seeing new games announced/planned for 360 and ps3. For example, Assassin's Creed. Popular titles like fifa and madden aren't going anywhere for at least another 3 years. 360 and PS3 both have a few more years left in them, I reckon.

Nintendo has put themselves in a corner. They've been abandoned by 3rd parties and burned a lot of goodwill with their fanbase in the previous generation. Dwindling console sales leads me to believe there's a mass exodus by Nintendo fans who are no longer content with Nintendo's meager offerings on consoles. For them, 3ds is sufficient enough for their mario fix.

Irrelevant might be too harsh. I think niche is a more accurate description of Nintendo's current position in this market. They'll probably sell ~20m this generation. Next time even less, if they release a traditional console at all.

'assuming the Wii-U does fail, which is still not a guarantee' C'mon. Wii-U is dead.

Well, I guess we'll see with the PS3.

You are absolutely right about third parties and burning the goodwill of their fanbase. I think Nintendo goes on their current track, they will be become irrelevant.

Wii-U hasn't died yet. It will probably come in last, but I believe that once Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers 4 come out, it will see a steady boost in sales, but, in the end, will still come in last. The PS4 will probably blow both the Wii-U and the One out.

#85 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MFDOOM1983: yes so they'll drop all of the money their franchises and handhelds make and immediately go full qol on whim.

I know thats your own personal wet dream but lets be realistic here

Didn't realize I included a time frame in my post. *Reads post again* Nope. I expected the successors of ds and psp to sell half of their predecessors LTD sales in 2011. Vita is performing even worse than anticipated and 3ds may or may not reach 75m. Hardware and softwares sales are declining fast, so who knows. Next gen 3ds 2 might make it to 35m and sony probably wont release a conventional handheld. Handheld/phone hybrid, again?

#86 Edited by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

You are absolutely right about third parties and burning the goodwill of their fanbase. I think Nintendo goes on their current track, they will be become irrelevant.

Wii-U hasn't died yet. It will probably come in last, but I believe that once Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers 4 come out, it will see a steady boost in sales, but, in the end, will still come in last. The PS4 will probably blow both the Wii-U and the One out.

Gamecube had Mario Kart and Smash too and look how that turned out. I think we can agree that Nintendo's popularity as a brand has stalled and is now dwindling. The Wii didn't sell 100 million units because it was a Nintendo product, it sold because of the Motion Controls and Wii Sports. It was a fad that many people soon abandoned. Sure, it sold well but not because it's library of games was among the best, because it wasn't.

#87 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

What can the Wii U do that the Gamecube couldn't do to entice more gamers to purchase the console? The Wii U is basically just getting sequels of games you already played on the Gamecube. Where are all the new enticing I.P.'s? Sure we will see lots of sequels on the XB1/PS4, but at least we are seeing some new I.P. being created as well.

I saw a news article a while back last year that Miyamoto is creating his first new I.P. since Pikmin. I decided to find an article about it and here it is. Since he said in the interview that it's been keeping him busy back in July, that means they've probably made some significant progress on it. Maybe we'll see a teaser of it at E3 or something. We're definitely not going to see it until after MK8 comes out.

#88 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

Honestly Nintendo should just give up on consoles. Nintendo keeps trying create a market that does not exist with no support. Clearly Nintendo just does not get it. They don't want to spend money to compete and to do the things that make consoles sell.

Nintendo is like one of them special ed kids that has trouble following directions. Everybody knows online gaming is the future. Everybody knows you need 3rd party support. Everybody knows you need graphics. Everybody knows you need DD/DTS 5.1 or better sound. Everybody else has dvd/blu-ray players. Everybody else has 500gb hard drives. Everybody else has standard game pads ect.

The ps4 has more than 5x the wii u's power but only cost 20 percent more after the wii u price drop. You talk about games shit people had to write Nintendo just to get games on the wii and it was the console sales leader last gen. The wii sold over 100 million but the last two years it was a dust bunny with no games. You would have to be smoking some new shit to think that Nintendo is going to pour money into tne wii u.

As for what Nintendo should do I say fire all the idiots making big money for poor choices. Also the gaming market is NOT centered in Japan so get some western talent to run things. Make games for the west and for the love of God get some 3rd party support. Make the next console have some balls and a normal gamepad. Also the online gaming platform is horrible get on that like yesterday. Seems like the same advice people have been giving for years and years.

#89 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

You are absolutely right about third parties and burning the goodwill of their fanbase. I thinWk Nintendo goes on their current track, they will be become irrelevant.

Gamecube had Mario Kart and Smash too and look how that turned out. I think we can agree that Nintendo's popularity as a brand has stalled and is now dwindling. The Wii didn't sell 100 million units because it was a Nintendo product, it sold because of the Motion Controls and Wii Sports. It was a fad that many people soon abandoned. Sure, it sold well but not because it's library of games was among the best, because it wasn't.

I would attribute that more to the PS2's epicness than to Nintendo's failings since the Xbox didn't do that much better. Melee and Double Dash could only do so much against the epicness of the PS2's library.

#90 Posted by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

You are absolutely right about third parties and burning the goodwill of their fanbase. I thinWk Nintendo goes on their current track, they will be become irrelevant.

I would attribute that more to the PS2's epicness than to Nintendo's failings since the Xbox didn't do that much better. Melee and Double Dash could only do so much against the epicness of the PS2's library.

Well, PS2 had a year head start, BC and DVD playback. The Gamecube just didn't have a chance in hell.

#91 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Well, PS2 had a year head start, BC and DVD playback. The Gamecube just didn't have a chance in hell.

Oh, the DVD just make things worse. This was a time when DVD players were still really expensive. BC didn't hurt either. Nintendo probably should not have stuck with cartridges, although BC hasn't been helping the Wii-U all that much.

#92 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Part of me wishes they would just make handheld systems. Maybe release games on sony/ms consoles.

#93 Edited by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Oh, the DVD just make things worse. This was a time when DVD players were still really expensive. BC didn't hurt either. Nintendo probably should not have stuck with cartridges, although BC hasn't been helping the Wii-U all that much.

I do think had the Gamecube been released the same year as the PS2 and had DVD support it would have sold much better. I think the market share would have been split between those two consoles.

#94 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9759 posts) -

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

I do think had the Gamecube been released the same year as the PS2 and had DVD support it would have sold much better. I think the market share would have been split between those two consoles.

Most likely, yeah. Why did they even use those small discs, anyway?

#95 Edited by super600 (31126 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Honestly Nintendo should just give up on consoles. Nintendo keeps trying create a market that does not exist with no support. Clearly Nintendo just does not get it. They don't want to spend money to compete and to do the things that make consoles sell.

Nintendo is like one of them special ed kids that has trouble following directions. Everybody knows online gaming is the future. Everybody knows you need 3rd party support. Everybody knows you need graphics. Everybody knows you need DD/DTS 5.1 or better sound. Everybody else has dvd/blu-ray players. Everybody else has 500gb hard drives. Everybody else has standard game pads ect.

The ps4 has more than 5x the wii u's power but only cost 20 percent more after the wii u price drop. You talk about games shit people had to write Nintendo just to get games on the wii and it was the console sales leader last gen. The wii sold over 100 million but the last two years it was a dust bunny with no games. You would have to be smoking some new shit to think that Nintendo is going to pour money into tne wii u.

As for what Nintendo should do I say fire all the idiots making big money for poor choices. Also the gaming market is NOT centered in Japan so get some western talent to run things. Make games for the west and for the love of God get some 3rd party support. Make the next console have some balls and a normal gamepad. Also the online gaming platform is horrible get on that like yesterday. Seems like the same advice people have been giving for years and years.

Power won't really matter in the long run. Online infrastructure matters more.The Wii won last gen because it was a interesting piece of hardware that ticked the right boxes and as a result 10's of millions bought the console.Nintendo ticked the wrong boxes with the wiiu and they also forgot to market the console.They created a me too box that tried to appeal to many groups of consumers at once instead of creating something unique and easy to market like the Wii. The WiiU also got crippled by post launch support to an extent.The majority of the WiiU's problems are not really connected to nintendo's position in the console market in the past,but they need to get some of that Wii magic back and appeal to some of the consumer's demand..And firing people like no tommorrow will fix nothing for the WiiU or future console because you won;t get the changes you want and the new CEO may do things that hurt nintendo in the long term(i.e look at Square Enix's) or fix nothing at all. Investors that invest in nintendo probably recognize that.You also have to worry about nintendo's daily business plans being disrupted because of a sudden and drastic change.Something like that has to planned.So I suggest you look at what Iwata and nintendo's upper management do in the next 4-5 years.

#96 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6256 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@sailor232 said:

That is pretty much asking for a Devil May Cry level of derailment right there.

What do you mean?

#97 Posted by Xplode_games (616 posts) -

Nintendo has the goods and they don't even know it yet. Drop the price of the Wii U and then port everything good from the 3DS and DS over to the Wii U and instantly it has a massive, super awesome library at a great price.

The Wii U with the touchscreen controller IS the 3DS home console that they need and has the potential to be a roaring success.

Why can't they see that? They have everything they need to succeed right under their noses but instead they turn a blind eye and keep floundering.

#98 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@super600 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Power won't really matter in the long run. Online infrastructure matters more.The Wii won last gen because it was a interesting piece of hardware that ticked the right boxes and as a result 10's of millions bought the console.Nintendo ticked the wrong boxes with the wiiu and they also forgot to market the console.They created a me too box that tried to appeal to many groups of consumers at once instead of creating something unique and easy to market like the Wii. The WiiU also got crippled by post launch support to an extent.The majority of the WiiU's problems are not really connected to nintendo's position in the console market in the past,but they need to get some of that Wii magic back and appeal to some of the consumer's demand..And firing people like no tommorrow will fix nothing for the WiiU or future console because you won;t get the changes you want and the new CEO may do things that hurt nintendo in the long term(i.e look at Square Enix's) or fix nothing at all. Investors that invest in nintendo probably recognize that.You also have to worry about nintendo's daily business plans being disrupted because of a sudden and drastic change.Something like that has to planned.So I suggest you look at what Iwata and nintendo's upper management do in the next 4-5 years.

Power matters more than ever why because your console to have legs. Gamers need to see some improvement over the old product to keep spending. The wii u games look like current gen games honestly TLOU looks better than anything on the wii u a so-called next gen console.

Not to mention 4k will be here in a couple years as the next standard. When your next gen console has 20 percent of the power of another console in the same generation that is a big problem. The wii u is a joke cell phones will soon pass it. As for the wii Nintendo got lucky the ps3 was 600 and hdtv was not the standard yet. Also casuals picked it up and we all know casuals go from one trend to the other. That said Nintendo was in the driver seat and look what they did with it NOT A DAMN THING.

When you sell over 100 million units and you can't get 3rd party support that is leaderships problem. They get paid the big bucks and they fucked up period. The same idiots are responsible for the sorry state of new ip's and the online infrastructure. They are also responsible for R&D or lack thereof. Seems all Nintendo brings to market are new controllers. As for the change of leadership being a disruption I hope so. The culture at Nintendo has become stale. Nintendo is trapped in the late 20th century. Japan is now a very tiny part of the gaming market. The types of games people play has changed but Nintendo keeps making the same old shit. The way people play has changed almost everything is online but Nintendo has rubbish online gaming. Consoles have evolved they do more than play games but Nintendo just ignores that as well. Storage lmao 8 gigs a console with 8 gigs who the fuck green lighted that??

No matter how you look at it the leadership has failed. I have no idea why you would give these morons a pass when they are running the Nintendo brand into the ground. You go from 1st to worst by a huge margin and your cheaper by 100 bucks with a whole year head start. I mean how badly do they have to do before you say okay hand in your resignation ??

#99 Edited by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@emgesp said:

Most likely, yeah. Why did they even use those small discs, anyway?

Piracy reasons.

#100 Posted by emgesp (2512 posts) -

@super600 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

The Wii is the exception to the rule, but power does matter when you don't have an enticing gimmick to fall back on. The Wii U is in a similar situation as the Gamecube was in. A traditional Nintendo console with weak third party support. Dual Screen gaming isn't a killer app. I would be stunned if the Wii U even sold as well as the Gamecube did. I just don't see 20 million consoles sold unless some absolute megaton of an exclusive were released and I mean something new and groundbreaking.