Next-gen: repeat of gen 6?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I think the next-gen could be the repeat of gen 6 in the sense that PS4 will be the most successful system and outsell the X1 and WiiU by a wide margin just like PS2 outsold the Xbox and GameCube by a wide margin.

Even in games terms, it seems the X1 and WiiU are trying to give a Xbox and NGC vibe. (hardware is in favour of PS4 this time around tho)

But on the other hand, Sony does seem to have a more new IP focused line-up which could actaully be a disadvantage in sales terms. (because more people prefer established franchises)

Also, the X1 is trying to combine gaming with broader entertainment and WiiU still has a "family appeal" so I would not write them out, as possible successful products.

What do you think - are we possibly looking at a new (or re-defined) gen 6?

Discuss.

#2 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.
#3 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10608 posts) -
It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.tagyhag
Unfortunately. :(
#4 Posted by syztem (7703 posts) -

Seems like it.

Nintendo will stand in the corner and do whatever they want, Sony will run a JRPG and fighting game machine, and Microsoft will run a PC port machine.

#5 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34145 posts) -

Another GC and PS2? Fine by me. :D

But as far as sales go, I could see it. I could see the PS4 winning next gen (though perhaps by not as much) and Nintendo losing next-gen if they don't get their sh*t together. 

#6 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1224 posts) -

It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.tagyhag

People keep saying innovation, but what do you guys really mean by this? Unless you want to delve more into motion controls all there is, is using the more powerful hardware to create the bigger worlds, better graphics and have programmers learn better ways of AI. Gaming will always essentially be using a input device to control a character on screen and use buttons/keys to give commands.

The only genres that essentially had a poor time this gen was JRPG's and Survival Horror and even then both genres did get a few shining gems. 

And saying digital only, sharing and all that isn't inovation, its just another way to buy games for people who for some reason dislike going to the store.

For for pure Gameplay, what in the world is it that you guys want that can be done thats "innovative".

People call the Wii-mote innovative, I call it a pain the arse to use. Even though I liked Skyward Sword, the Wii-mote lessened that enjoyment. Would have been great if I could have just used a standard controller.

#7 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.ryangcnx-2

People keep saying innovation, but what do you guys really mean by this? Unless you want to delve more into motion controls all there is, is using the more powerful hardware to create the bigger worlds, better graphics and have programmers learn better ways of AI. Gaming will always essentially be using a input device to control a character on screen and use buttons/keys to give commands.

The only genres that essentially had a poor time this gen was JRPG's and Survival Horror and even then both genres did get a few shining gems. 

And saying digital only, sharing and all that isn't inovation, its just another way to buy games for people who for some reason dislike going to the store.

For for pure Gameplay, what in the world is it that you guys want that can be done thats "innovative".

People call the Wii-mote innovative, I call it a pain the arse to use. Even though I liked Skyward Sword, the Wii-mote lessened that enjoyment. Would have been great if I could have just used a standard controller.

Personal preference or not, the Wii-mote was innovation. The only innovations we'll see if they really take off are the Oculus Rift.

As far as gaming goes, I'd like to see a groundbreaking title that shakes the foundations of the genres. Not Call of Duty 15.

#8 Posted by pawq4 (476 posts) -

Imo those were actually the best generations so bring it on!

#9 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6788 posts) -
Even so, consoles will sell more in general. They become more integrated into people's lives with each passing generation.
#10 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

That was a typo, right? Surely you meant "gen 6 and 7"?

#11 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5286 posts) -

Seems like it.

Nintendo will stand in the corner and do whatever they want, Sony will run a JRPG and fighting game machine, and Microsoft will run a PC port machine.

syztem
Ps4 is getting a crap ton of pc devs though now too since they went X86-64 based on the cpu side and have been courting indies by the boatload.
#12 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5286 posts) -

Seems like it.

syztem
Ps4 is getting a crap ton of pc devs though now too since they went X86-64 based on the cpu side and have been courting indies by the boatload.

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.ryangcnx-2

I agree with you 100%.... Stop asking for motion controls or vr...its pointless, as games need a controller or keyboard or mouse for input to work right... I don't give 2 shytes about kinect and all that motion controlled gimick crap.
#13 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.Jag85

Yeah. :P
#14 Posted by munkeypoo45 (3220 posts) -

it could be. as long as Sony plays its cards right. and so far they are doing it very well.

#15 Posted by super600 (30518 posts) -

The PS4 won't sell over 100 million this time because of the better competition.The PS4 and the Xbox one will be neck and neck in terms of sales unless the one of them starts selling like the Wii or PS2 which won't happen.The WiiU will most likely recover, and it will sel anywere from 30million-60million.

#16 Posted by Basinboy (11087 posts) -

All I feel is that no more than one console can "win."  I don't expect to see X1 and PS4 virtually tied in sales like PS3/X360 were.

I anticipate PS4 will move more units overall because the X1 is trying to be too much for too many people.  Casual audiences won't throw down $500 for a TV box and gamers are going to see 80%-90% of the same games on PS4 at a cheaper price.  Exclusive games & preferences (UI look & feel, system ease of use, controller feel, commitment to networked friends, etc.) will be the most prominent force behind console adoption.  SCE has shown to be more versatile in its first-party titles, but MS still has Halo.

I don't expect Wii U to recover and it will become more relegated to its niche audience.  Third-parties don't have confidence in the product and its price and functionality are far inferior to the value of its competitors' products.  Nintendo will dribble out support, but they're facing a very similar circumstance to what occurred with the Gamecube.  It might have good games, but it's not going to make a difference for it at retail.

The X factor for this generation will be the next "it" game.  For the PS2/Xbox era, it was Halo/GTA.  For the X360/PS3 era, it was Call of Duty.  What will the next mainstream game be?  Destiny?  Titanfall?  Battlefield?  Or something completely new?  Whichever platform it plays best on will surely experience a hefty advantage.

#17 Posted by kitty (114656 posts) -
Don't think we will ever see a repeat like that. Ps4/Xbone will sell a lot of units and will probably be close in terms of sales. The Wii-U will have to play the catch up game.
#18 Posted by Nike_Air (18326 posts) -

No. 

But I'm taking PS4 over Xbone. The Xbone is going to receive a beatdown in Europe and rest of the world , and Sony should take back a higher % of sales in NA than thiey had this gen. The question is , where will the Wii-U end up ? 1st ? Last ? Samiched between the two ? Only time will tell,

#19 Posted by tdkmillsy (1323 posts) -
[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"][QUOTE="syztem"] Ps4 is getting a crap ton of pc devs though now too since they went X86-64 based on the cpu side and have been courting indies by the boatload.

I agree with you 100%.... Stop asking for motion controls or vr...its pointless, as games need a controller or keyboard or mouse for input to work right... I don't give 2 shytes about kinect and all that motion controlled gimick crap.

The PS4 will have more of the same just better graphics and computer AI. I have high hopes for Xbox One (possibly cos I'm bored of the same stuff). Kinect is more than just motion and is a really good piece of kit. Microsoft is producing its own TV shows with some top notch producers. If they can combine TV entertainment, Kinect, cloud and gaming it would be awesome. Not entirely sure how, but there is at least real potential to see something different. We are just at the beginning of the journey and while PS4 may produce more games I'm hoping Xbox will produce something different and make people go wow that's unique.
#20 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

If it means a return to JRPGs on consoles then I'm all in. Otherwise I can't say I care. If next gen is simply a repeat of what we have now but prettier games and sales switched around then I'm going to be very bored.

Hope Wii U takes off, that controller has potential.

#21 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -
PS2 was the weakest. This gen, PS4 is the strongest. Not sure what's so similar about these.
#22 Posted by Darth-Samus (3995 posts) -

I think the next-gen could be the repeat of gen 6 in the sense that PS4 will be the most successful system and outsell the X1 and WiiU by a wide margin just like PS2 outsold the Xbox and GameCube by a wide margin.

Even in games terms, it seems the X1 and WiiU are trying to give a Xbox and NGC vibe. (hardware is in favour of PS4 this time around tho)

But on the other hand, Sony does seem to have a more new IP focused line-up which could actaully be a disadvantage in sales terms. (because more people prefer established franchises)

Also, the X1 is trying to combine gaming with broader entertainment and WiiU still has a "family appeal" so I would not write them out, as possible successful products.

Discuss.

nameless12345

Wait, wouldn't this last generation (Wii/PS3/Xbox 360) have been gen 5 and this new generation be gen 6?

#23 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Discuss.

Darth-Samus

Wait, wouldn't this last generation (Wii/PS3/Xbox 360) have been gen 5 and this new generation be gen 6?

Gen 1 = Magnavox Odyssey, Atari Pong

Gen 2 = Fairchild Channel F, Atari 2600, Bally Astrocade, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200

Gen 3 = Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari 7800

Gen 4 = NEC PC Engine, Sega Mega Drive, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, SNK Neo Geo

Gen 5 = Fujitsu FM Towns Marty, Panasonic 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64

Gen 6 = Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Microsoft Xbox

Gen 7 = Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3, Nintendo Wii

Gen 8 = Nintendo Wii U, Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One

#24 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -
PS2 was the weakest. This gen, PS4 is the strongest. Not sure what's so similar about these.faizan_faizan
If PS4 wins this time, then it will be the first time the most powerful console ever won a console generation...
#25 Posted by KBFloYd (13426 posts) -

i doubt it....sony has no gimmicks this time. only games.

4k tv support might help them in a few years though but not as much as blu-ray i think...

#26 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]PS2 was the weakest. This gen, PS4 is the strongest. Not sure what's so similar about these.Jag85
If PS4 wins this time, then it will be the first time the most powerful console ever won a console generation...

I'm sure it will though, I bet even the casuals are fed up of mariozelda.
#27 Posted by NationProtector (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.Jag85

Well other than 3D I would not give 5 too much innovation.
#28 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7339 posts) -

Now that X1 changed their policies I could see X1 winning. So far the exclusives the games look to be better on X1, They have better performance according to Digital Foundry, they both force you to pay to play online and the X1 has a lot more features that are not gaming related to make it a more all around system.

#29 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.NationProtector

Well other than 3D I would not give 5 too much innovation.

The jump from 2D to 3D was the biggest leap forward in gaming history. No generation since has rivalled the innovation of gen 5.
#30 Posted by scoots9 (3194 posts) -

I wouldn't mind that. Nintendo prints money, makes a bunch of amazing games and the Wii U becomes my new favore console, Sony sells a billion consoles and has a ton of games, MS loses $10 billion and has no games.

#31 Posted by AHUGECAT (8967 posts) -

No.

PS4 has no exclusives. If MGS5, FFXV, and KH3 were exclusive, you'd have a point.

#32 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1224 posts) -

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.tagyhag

Personal preference or not, the Wii-mote was innovation. The only innovations we'll see if they really take off are the Oculus Rift.

As far as gaming goes, I'd like to see a groundbreaking title that shakes the foundations of the genres. Not Call of Duty 15.

Take the vasaline goggles off, there are many other games than Call of Duty. for example the Witcher 3 looks fantastic and I can't wait to see more it. I also dunno about the oculus rift, it sounds cool, but I'll have to wait until I can try it at a store demo kiosk.

And with more memory, better hardware and developer experience, new things do come.

Look at Bioware for example: They helped start the whole choices in games, Kotor let you be good or bad but it barely offered different senarious through the game your companions would once in a while mention on you going dark or light but nothing major until you hit the last part of the game. Then in Mass Effect, while the plot stayed on course, you actually effected the citizens around you, your team mates living or dying, what they think of you, seeing them in sequals and reflecting on your choices and what you did or didn't do for them in the past game.

My point is it grew, now think, in this gen they might be able to more, make it more involved. People complain that they think the choices are limited, and that is because they are, and it's very difficult to program all these choices. I could only imagine the pain and sky high wall of tangled webs of senarios they had to go through to do what they did in the ME series. But maybe they will figure out an improved system to take it to the next level.

Look at what Turn 10 is doing with Forza 5, they are having a program monitor how people drive so it can affect the in game AI, to make it more human. Gaming has always been evolving, you just gotta look past the Call of Duty sequals. And the type of innovation you are looking for is the next fad, what will catch mainstream attention but be a pain in the arse for the rest of us to use. For me, I will always stick to the tried and true standard gamepads and Keyboard + mouse and maybe a racing wheel lol. 

I dunno, I'm happy with better hardware and don't need some "new gimmick" to sell to the masses to enjoy gaming. 

What I really want is the return of the JRPG and High Quality ones, not more NISA crap. Give me more like Ni No Kuni.

#33 Posted by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

ryangcnx-2

Take the vasaline goggles off, there are many other games than Call of Duty. for example the Witcher 3 looks fantastic and I can't wait to see more it. I also dunno about the oculus rift, it sounds cool, but I'll have to wait until I can try it at a store demo kiosk.

And with more memory, better hardware and developer experience, new things do come.

Look at Bioware for example: They helped start the whole choices in games, Kotor let you be good or bad but it barely offered different senarious through the game your companions would once in a while mention on you going dark or light but nothing major until you hit the last part of the game. Then in Mass Effect, while the plot stayed on course, you actually effected the citizens around you, your team mates living or dying, what they think of you, seeing them in sequals and reflecting on your choices and what you did or didn't do for them in the past game.

My point is it grew, now think, in this gen they might be able to more, make it more involved. People complain that they think the choices are limited, and that is because they are, and it's very difficult to program all these choices. I could only imagine the pain and sky high wall of tangled webs of senarios they had to go through to do what they did in the ME series. But maybe they will figure out an improved system to take it to the next level.

Look at what Turn 10 is doing with Forza 5, they are having a program monitor how people drive so it can affect the in game AI, to make it more human. Gaming has always been evolving, you just gotta look past the Call of Duty sequals. And the type of innovation you are looking for is the next fad, what will catch mainstream attention but be a pain in the arse for the rest of us to use. For me, I will always stick to the tried and true standard gamepads and Keyboard + mouse and maybe a racing wheel lol. 

I dunno, I'm happy with better hardware and don't need some "new gimmick" to sell to the masses to enjoy gaming. 

What I really want is the return of the JRPG and High Quality ones, not more NISA crap. Give me more like Ni No Kuni.

Plenty of games before Mass Effect offered deeper choices. That has very little to do with hardware power. The best examples of meaningful choices in gaming come from the visual novel genre, yet those are often done with very low budgets on weak hardware. Even among RPG's, there have been plenty of games from previous generations with deeper choices than Mass Effect. If anything, the high budgets of HD gaming make it more difficult to pull off meaningful choices, rather than the other way around.

And by the way, just keep in mind that the Nintendo's revolutionary analog stick for the N64 was also a gimmick at one time. And then when Sony responded with a dual analog controller, that was widely regarded as a pointless gimmick. And yet today, dual analog is now the standard of console gaming. The DS's touchscreen controls were also widely regarded as a gimmick, and yet touchscreen controls are now the standard of handheld/mobile gaming. The point is that "gimmicks" are necessary to drive the video game industry forward. It's not about what gimmicks you come out with, but how well you use them.

#34 Posted by Bloodseeker23 (8338 posts) -

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]It's going to be a repeat in that it's going to be exactly the same like gen 6 and 5 with no real innovations. Just prettier graphics and bigger worlds.tagyhag

It's not that easy to create a new genre of a game and expect it to sell right away. You talking about MILLION OF DOLLARS that a company will waste and that's without guaranteed that it will sell. It's not so easy for devs to create games like that, it takes years and years of development in order to release "Groundbreaking title that shakes the foundations of genres"
#35 Posted by glez13 (8760 posts) -

This. Gen 5 was the 2D to 3D jump.

#36 Posted by bobbetybob (19250 posts) -
Maybe in terms of sales but not in terms of games.
#37 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

40 million people won't be buying the PS4 for its movie playback feature.

The PS4 also won't have games like GTA as exclusive titles for any length of time.

It might sell the most, but it won't be like the PS2 era.

#38 Posted by mtron32 (3828 posts) -

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

Jag85

Plenty of games before Mass Effect offered deeper choices. That has very little to do with hardware power. The best examples of meaningful choices in gaming come from the visual novel genre, yet those are often done with very low budgets on weak hardware. Even among RPG's, there have been plenty of games from previous generations with deeper choices than Mass Effect. If anything, the high budgets of HD gaming make it more difficult to pull off meaningful choices, rather than the other way around.

And by the way, just keep in mind that the Nintendo's revolutionary analog stick for the N64 was also a gimmick at one time. And then when Sony responded with a dual analog controller, that was widely regarded as a pointless gimmick. And yet today, dual analog is now the standard of console gaming. The DS's touchscreen controls were also widely regarded as a gimmick, and yet touchscreen controls are now the standard of handheld/mobile gaming. The point is that "gimmicks" are necessary to drive the video game industry forward. It's not about what gimmicks you come out with, but how well you use them.

Excellent point, this is why I have continued respect for Nintendo, they aren't afraid to come with a gimmick, while the other two will wait until it's safe to use said gimmick on their own consoles.
#39 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

Not Call of Duty 15.

tagyhag

Hilariously enough that's coming out this gen.:P