Next Generattion backwards compatibility

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Is there any chance of either console (ps4/xbox one) getting backwards compatibility in the future? I havnt played a lot of games this generation and on top of that my 360 died on me a few months ago. Is there any news on either company planning to release consoles with BC?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

PS4 has a streaming service but its not coming till 2014.

JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

@clyde46: Wow thanks, I didnt know about this. I already wanted a ps4 but now im definitely getting one

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Wait and see....

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

They will have super HD remasters of your favorite games, and they will play at 900p, so that they can sell 1080p ultra HD remasters in the gen after this one.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts
@treedoor said:

They will have super HD remasters of your favorite games, and they will play at 900p, so that they can sell 1080p ultra HD remasters in the gen after this one.

You mean like this? Except that it's a next gen launch title instead of a 'last' gen title. MS getting to the party early I guess.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@Namgis said:
@treedoor said:

You mean like this? Except that it's a next gen launch title instead of a 'last' gen title. MS getting to the party early I guess.

Nah, that party started long long ago.

-GOW Collection

-Halo CEA

-Sly Collection

-Team Ico Collection

-MGS Collection

-Ratchet and Clan Collection

-Splinter Cell Collection

-etc.

Sony spearheaded this trend and the rest of the major publishers followed suit. Console gamers aren't going to get any more BC when Sony/MS/PublisherX know that they can sell games to people multiple times. Gets even better for them since they don't have to put any money into the creation/support of BC.

That's pretty insulting considering the fact that PC gamers can play just about any game made in the last 20 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Wii U is currently the only next generation console with BC.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

@HavocV3 said:

@Namgis said:
@treedoor said:

Nah, that party started long long ago.

-GOW Collection

-Halo CEA

-Sly Collection

-Team Ico Collection

-MGS Collection

-Ratchet and Clan Collection

-Splinter Cell Collection

-etc.

Sony spearheaded this trend and the rest of the major publishers followed suit. Console gamers aren't going to get any more BC when Sony/MS/PublisherX know that they can sell games to people multiple times. Gets even better for them since they don't have to put any money into the creation/support of BC.

That's pretty insulting considering the fact that PC gamers can play just about any game made in the last 20 years.

I was speaking more towards the fact that, at 900p, devs are still holding back. Whether it be their decision, or were told, they're clearly leaving room to upscale the game in the future if it's popular enough. Next we're going to hear that we can't have both, 1080p and a steady 30fps on consoles.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@treedoor said:

Sad thing is, that's probably true. Either that or re-releasing PS3/360 titles on PSN and XBLA respectively.

Laharl5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Laharl5
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I myself am debating if I should save for PS4 or buy new xbox360. Because my 360 died (FU RROD!) halfway on GTA5. I missed a lot of games also. Yet to play Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Arkham City, Dishonored, Gears3.. If only they could be release on PS4 (except Gears3 ofc).. PS4 or new 360?? hmmmmmm

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Sony have said its coming in 2014 in America only.

Microsoft have demonstrated that they can do it also, but not said when.

If there is enough demand for it (which I doubt) both will release it. But you will have to pay for it so you might as well get a cheap old gen console when the new ones come out.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I have my 360 connected to my tv so I'm sorted.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

They'll try to make you repurchase "HD" versions of the game from a handful of popular titles. The rest might be offered via streaming... but that still carries all the issue sinvolved with that.

Unless you are relatively close to a data center, input latency might be a very big deal. And ofcourse, video quality won't be the same thing as when it's runnign natively on your hardware.