Next Call of Duty to have premium online features

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts

Activision confirmed during its Q1 2011 financial call last night that its new Call of Duty game will be revealed in a few weeks time, however one detail which slipped out is that it'll include premium online features..

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

After Black Ops I'm done with Call of Duty. I'm surprised I even bought Black Ops after MW2 on PC.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

and yet somebody is going to find a way to think it's something postive. :lol:

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
15$ monthly fee for extra kill streak awards?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

So it sounds like they want to integrate more social features into the game.

Facebook of Duty anyone?

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
Wow.. I am going to laugh if this gives advantages to those who pay. Because if it does then that is complete crap. Glad that I am finally complete burnt out of everything Call of Duty.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Translation: "You'll see further monetization" = "bend over suckers".
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I actually think it'd be cool if it was a subscripition for map packs and whatever other content they spit out.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

It's optional right? If so then I don't care.

Still *rage*

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I really do hope they do this though. I hope they do this and it bombs. But it's Call of Duty and all the console playing kids and teens love it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Very nice. Make it $10+ per month plz so BF3 dominates MW3 easily.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

fps just keeps on klling gaming

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Yay I'm curious to learn about what everyone will be complaining about for the next year as they continue to fork over their money to Activision

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

In all seriousness,

I will cry tears of joy if they add dedicated servers

the lags so bad:cry:

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
I like my Idea better of a service that allows you to play all the CoD's MP online map packs and all for a montly fee. This social network stuff is just baby steps towards then splitting the CoD community into the haves and have nots.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
This comment sums it up beautifully: "Translation: These suckers will buy anything"
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BPoole96

This comment sums it up beautifully: "Translation: These suckers will buy anything"Heil68

Sad part is, they're probably right. It's only a matter of time before other publishers think they can do this sort of stuff as well

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Yay I'm curious to learn about what everyone will be complaining about for the next year as they continue to fork over their money to Activision

BPoole96

I may or may not buy the game, but I tell you there is NO CHANCE I will participate in this subscription model. Just like I will never buy one of their $15 map packs under any circumstances.

If their idea of "monetization" cripples the "base game" you get for $60, then that may damage their sales a bit on the front end (that is assuming people don't just get bored of another COD game anyway). My hope is the millions of people that actually do buy the extra map packs, decide to at least draw the line here and not jump into the subscription model (just going on my assumption that it will be a joke as far as actual value). At some point you have to think that "franchise fatigue" will set in and Activisions complacency will bite them in the !#$.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Man they sure are pushing it with cod and the consumers that play it. I honestly wouldint be shocked if they tried charging 20 bucks for a map pack and succeeding.

aSchizophrenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aSchizophrenic
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Are they not satisfied with all the money they're already making...? If the new COD is not as good as COD4 then I will not be buying it, and I'll just stick to BF3, which will hopefully beat out COD

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I hope it's just a subscroption for people who buy DLC and not an in-game advantage. If it's an in-game advantage, I won't buy the game no matter how good it is.
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

No way ain't gonna happen for me at least. I'm not paying for Xbox live plus more "premium" online features.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

The masses let it happen. Fools. All of them.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

2Chalupas

I may or may not buy the game, but I tell you there is NO CHANCE I will participate in this subscription model. Just like I will never buy one of their $15 map packs under any circumstances.

If their idea of "monetization" cripples the "base game" you get for $60, then that may damage their sales a bit on the front end (that is assuming people don't just get bored of another COD game anyway). My hope is the millions of people that actually do buy the extra map packs, decide to at least draw the line here and not jump into the subscription model (just going on my assumption that it will be a joke as far as actual value). At some point you have to think that "franchise fatigue" will set in and Activisions complacency will bite them in the !#$.

My guess is that they will have guns/accessories that you can buy for a few dollars. People that don't buy the guns will get annoyed when they do get killed by the gun and say that it is OP'd or something and in retaliation will probably buy it as well.

For accessories they will probably have stupid stuff like Native American Headdresses for the soldiers to wear and teenagers/fratboys across the world will say "OMFG that is ******* HILARIOUS!!!" and will buy it. If Acitivision is smart they will try to nickel and dime people to death rather than having them pay a large sum up front. Instead of charging $10/month they could just release silly accessories for 99 cents each and people will eat them up because in their head "It's only 99 cents"

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

The masses let it happen. Fools. All of them.

Crossel777

What have you done!!??!!

BodomArmy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BodomArmy666
Member since 2004 • 354 Posts

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

My guess is that they will have guns/accessories that you can buy for a few dollars. People that don't buy the guns will get annoyed when they do get killed by the gun and say that it is OP'd or something and in retaliation will probably buy it as well.

For accessories they will probably have stupid stuff like Native American Headdresses for the soldiers to wear and teenagers/fratboys across the world will say "OMFG that is ******* HILARIOUS!!!" and will buy it. If Acitivision is smart they will try to nickel and dime people to death rather than having them pay a large sum up front. Instead of charging $10/month they could just release silly accessories for 99 cents each and people will eat them up because in their head "It's only 99 cents"

this is exactly what i said in the Mortal kombat thread a while back. it all starts with the online pass. people say oh its not big deal it doesnt bother me, its a good thing in my book blah blah blah... then this happens....I even said the next killzone will charge DLC for ammo and guns. I am not suprised. It is the people who buy this crap and seem to think there is nothing wrong with this that are causing this to escalate. You know when you buy this crap the devs are sitting back laughing at you and saying these suckers will buy anything ain that right bill?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

BodomArmy666

this is exactly what i said in the Mortal kombat thread a while back. it all starts with the online pass. people say oh its not big deal it doesnt bother me, its a good thing in my book blah blah blah... then this happens....I even said the next killzone will charge DLC for ammo and guns. I am not suprised. It is the people who buy this crap and seem to think there is nothing wrong with this that are causing this to escalate. You know when you buy this crap the devs are sitting back laughing at you and saying these suckers will buy anything ain that right bill?

Exactly, and even if many people boycott this kind of stuff, it only takes a couple thousand of purchases to make the company say "Well, that was worth it" and then go back to thinking of more effective ways to make people buy these type of add ons. I won't be surprised if there are perks that you have to pay for that are pretty good and make people feel liek they are at a disadvantage if they don't have that perk so will go ahead and buy it since its so inexpensive

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#28 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
Why is everyone complaining? You were all already paying for yearly rehashed iterations and overpriced map packs of COD. Premium features will be the same thing, giving you the illusion that you purchased something worth your money.
ethanradd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ethanradd
Member since 2009 • 654 Posts

Why does it bother people so much that are those who do enjoy the Call of Duty franchise? I have never understood, no one forces anyone to play COD, so why all the hate and venom towards the fanbase? Do people feel left out? Do people feel its cool to hate? Why the condescending remarks? The COD bashing is sort of getting old,

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

and people will still pay for this nonsense?

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

MW2 took about a month to patch some of the more terrible glitches and even recently there were issues with rock camping and weapon/perk/killstreak balance (which goes unpatched for the msot part). I have to see it to believe it and even if they do a great job of post release balancing and content, I don't want to pay for a retread of what BC2 gave us for free (or $15) in the VIP packs, I want WoW styled care and new content out the wazoo alongside large expansions that give us more everything instead of a few maps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Why does it bother people so much that are those who do enjoy the Call of Duty franchise? I have never understood, no one forces anyone to play COD, so why all the hate and venom towards the fanbase? Do people feel left out? Do people feel its cool to hate? Why the condescending remarks? The COD bashing is sort of getting old,

ethanradd
You're not looking at the long term effects this will have on all games. DLC was just the start.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

You are tearing me apart Activision.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts
If 5$ or $10 per month just to get the prem experience in call of duty.... I swear I will not ever buy another call of duty. We all should do the same so that activation realizes that this move they're making is a failure. They made all their money from the sales n the dlc . Now they charging per month? This is f#### ridiculous.
hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts

and yet somebody is going to find a way to think it's something postive. :lol:

Crazyguy105

How is it not positive? I swear, anything about Call of Duty is spun negative no matter what, and to the point where it's as if it's the end of the world. I think people get it by now that there is a constituency that hates Call of Duty.

Anyway, as long as it's not the focus of the experience, which it obviously won't be from Activision's past statements it will be fine. People freak out and assume the worst so easily because they hate Call of Duty. The only game being fully monetized is the one in China.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

people wanted dedicated servers and i bet it will happen through "premium features"

pay 4 play confirmed basically

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BPoole96

Why is everyone complaining? You were all already paying for yearly rehashed iterations and overpriced map packs of COD. Premium features will be the same thing, giving you the illusion that you purchased something worth your money.SpinoRaptor24

I only complain about this stuff because Call of Duty has a lot of influence in other games and if something like this proves to be successful for Activision, its only a matter of time before other publishers try it as well

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

pathetic way to get money activision is trying be truly vile this is why so many people hate them now...

They are to lazy to put dedicated servers on their console versions of games so why should we pay for this...

I would be SHOCKED if microsoft allowed this happen

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

people wanted dedicated servers and i bet it will happen through "premium features"

pay 4 play confirmed basically

eboyishere

I wish they could have deticated servered the way PC games do. People set up or rent their own and companys sponser servers. If I wanted my own BC2 server for like 20 people it would cost 20 a month. I dont wanna pay a monthly fee to use deticated servers unless I also get Admin rights lol

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

ethanradd
What's getting old is companies offering this stuff, people buy it up, then next thing you know, other devs do it too, and soon, simple free things are now $15 DLC, and playing on a dedicated server can cost a subscription. Think of the long term effects on other companies and games. It reaches far beyond CoD
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

If people actually pay for it then Ive lost faith in humanity..

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BPoole96

If people actually pay for it then Ive lost faith in humanity..

Jebus213

Get ready to lose faith in humanity. People love their COD

cantor2537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cantor2537
Member since 2007 • 427 Posts

Anytime you throw a series enough to an audience, you will destroy it. Happened with Guitar Hero. Happened with Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Happened with Jaws.

I loved MW. I loved WAW. I started to get bored at MW2. I bought BO but stopped playing it after a couple months.

I can't imagine buying the next COD. I'm done with this series and it's thanks to oversaturation.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

This will be totally ridiculous if you would have to pay microtransactions or monthly fees to be a godly player in the next COD game. There will be a massive backlash to these features if people eventually have to pay for these features.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
They said this last year about Black ops and it never happened....I call a fake.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Watch as the franchise goes down the crapper like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero before it.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I would rage if it wasn't for this:

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

I would rage if it wasn't for this:

Blue-Sky

I don't think my computer will be able to handle this game.....:(

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

metal_zombie

Don't know if you're saying that to make people like me feel bad. You have a 6 series in your sig, my pc runs on a 5770. :(

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

[QUOTE="metal_zombie"]

PSdual_wielder

Don't know if you're saying that to make people like me feel bad. You have a 6 series in your sig, my pc runs on a 5770. :(

I have feeling this game is going to be the crysis of this year people might need to upgrade to play it max settings. Hopefully I'm wrong cause I kinda don't want to crossfire 6870