NEWSFLASH: PS3 comes with built in blu-ray player!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dangould1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dangould1985
Member since 2006 • 124 Posts

From computerandvideogames.com

According to a survey carried out by stat-crunchers the NPD Group, many next-gen gamers aren't as in touch with their technology as they probably make out.

One of the reasons PS3 weighs in higher than its rivals is the very-well publicised fact that it carries a state of the art Blu-ray player. To get the same picture from 360 you need to shell out for the HD DVD add-on and Wii won't even play VHS movies let alone DVDs.

The NPD survey revealed that only 40 percent of PS3 owners surveyed knew that the PlayStation 3 system had a Blu-ray player built-in, even though it SAYS IT ON THE BOX! And apparently only half of those people had played a Blu-ray movie in the last ten times they turned the console on. We're speechless.

The survey quizzed 6,260 console owners aged from six up to 44. Read more
here.

Since Blu-ray is one of the PS3's biggest advantages over other systems, surely it'd sell even better if the other 60% of potential buyers knew it was there!

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

Reason why it fails is because "gamers" buy consoles to play games not to watch movies!

Plus since High Defintion is still not standard most people couldn't care less if it had a blu-ray player.

Wiicraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wiicraft
Member since 2007 • 652 Posts

Wii won't even play VHS movies let alone DVDs.

The 360 and PS3 can play VHS? I never noticed the tape slot.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts

LAWL!!! THE WIIWII cannut play teh VHS movieS!!! NINTENDO AM PHAIL!

edit: darn Wiicraft beat me to it 2 full minutes :(

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

LAWL!!! THE WIIWII cannut play teh VHS movieS!!! NINTENDO AM PHAIL!

edit: darn Wiicraft beat me to it 2 full minutes :(

Arsuz

ditto. Was just typing about it, then I noticed that I wasn't logged on.

Lol, no VHS playback.

No backwards compatability!! wtf :D

PoppaLemming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PoppaLemming
Member since 2007 • 653 Posts

From computerandvideogames.com

According to a survey carried out by stat-crunchers the NPD Group, many next-gen gamers aren't as in touch with their technology as they probably make out.

One of the reasons PS3 weighs in higher than its rivals is the very-well publicised fact that it carries a state of the art Blu-ray player. To get the same picture from 360 you need to shell out for the HD DVD add-on and Wii won't even play VHS movies let alone DVDs.

The NPD survey revealed that only 40 percent of PS3 owners surveyed knew that the PlayStation 3 system had a Blu-ray player built-in, even though it SAYS IT ON THE BOX! And apparently only half of those people had played a Blu-ray movie in the last ten times they turned the console on. We're speechless.

The survey quizzed 6,260 console owners aged from six up to 44. Read more
here.

Since Blu-ray is one of the PS3's biggest advantages over other systems, surely it'd sell even better if the other 60% of potential buyers knew it was there!

dangould1985

No one is going to buy a PS3 for it's Blu-Ray player if they don't play games at all. Besides you can buy Blu-Ray players for $499. On top of that, why gamble your bucks on an unproven format

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
People buy video games console to play games. Welcome to earth sony.
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
I guess this is proof that PS3 owners didnt buy the system just so they can have a cheap BR player and they bought it for the games, despite what the haters like the believe. Good for Sony.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

I guess this is proof that PS3 owners didnt buy the system just so they can have a cheap BR player and they bought it for the games, despite what the haters like the believe. Good for Sony.Truth-slayer

And I think that percentage will get higher as more and more casuals purchase the system. The first ones who bought the PS3 are always the fanboys and hardware enthusiasts.

Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
VHS slots???? I want one of those I need to play some of my old home movies!!!!!
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
How people can buy such expensive things without research & Knowledge is beyond me ...
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thinicer

How people can buy such expensive things without research & Knowledge is beyond me ...Meu2k7

Because of brand names.

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

Reason why it fails is because "gamers" buy consoles to play games not to watch movies!

Plus since High Defintion is still not standard most people couldn't care less if it had a blu-ray player.

sadikovic

Funny considering I knowa lot of people used PS2's as DVD players last gen.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]How people can buy such expensive things without research & Knowledge is beyond me ...thinicer

Because of brand names.

Well yea that was obvious, but I just cant bite brand bait at these prices. Brands are not future proo, why do people think otherwise? :I

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thinicer
[QUOTE="sadikovic"]

DSgamer64

Funny considering I knowa lot of people used PS2's as DVD players last gen.

DVDs though work on any TV. HD DVD & Blu-Ray require HDTV to fully enjoy. When people bought the PS2 they already had the television hardware. That's not the case with the PS3. How many PS3 and Xbox 360 owners actually have high-def sets? I wonder if anybody has done a study on that.

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts

That argument is good to use when talking about PS3's lack of sales, but to say consumers don't know about it is ignorant, they do they are just smart enough to know not to buy one when they don't need it.

and ...and Wii won't even play VHS movies let alone DVDs.

I LOL'd.