News Flash sony UK just confirmed that the ps4 cpu speed !

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ROCKINGFOOL (1756 posts) -

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12juzeaypfqxtij104chvragvyhz3gi5h4

Wow so the xboxone cpu is better but ps4 has better gpu .

So which one is important to you gamers , is it the gpu or the cpu ?

#2 Posted by Carbon_Le (185 posts) -

Sorry but everyone knew this already.

#3 Posted by ROCKINGFOOL (1756 posts) -
#4 Edited by xboxiphoneps3 (2235 posts) -

no one really knows yet how many cores the PS4 uses in games though, the PS4 is able to produce faster texture generation over the Xbox One

http://gamingbolt.com/substance-engine-increases-ps4-xbox-one-texture-generation-speed-to-14-mbs-12-mbs-respectively

14 mb/s for the PS4 and 12 mb/s for the Xbox One , either PS4 has a extra core available to use for games or something like using 6 1/2 cores and the other 1 1/2 core for the OS and other stuff

#5 Posted by leandrro (676 posts) -

its not a matter of what is more important,

the real question is where is the system's bottleneck?

the weak cpu on the ps4 is properly sized for the mid range gpu and its hard to tell where the bottleneck is in the ps4

the almost identical weak cpu on the x1 is not a bottleneck for the also weak x1s gpu, that gpu is also bottleneckec by the super slow ddr3 ram

ps4 has properly sized cpu, but x1 has lots of cpu to spare

it does not mean that it will ever use it, it only means that cpu on the x1 is not important because the weak gpu and ram is a terrible bottleneck

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (15782 posts) -

Neither is more important to me. I loved gaming on the PS2 and xbox; 360 and PS3; and now X1, soon a PS4 as well. I don't care about this stuff. I play games.

#7 Posted by Phazevariance (10896 posts) -

In b4 this thread turns into tormentos quoting millions of random specs trying to defend his all mighty console of choice.

#8 Posted by MisterXMedia (230 posts) -

In b4 this thread turns into tormentos quoting millions of random specs trying to defend his all mighty console of choice.

Tests already show the PS4 CPU is more efficient than the Xbone CPU. It makes more use of its power than the Xbone.

#9 Posted by tdkmillsy (1227 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

Tests already show the PS4 CPU is more efficient than the Xbone CPU. It makes more use of its power than the Xbone.

Any prof that is the case now or after the latest SDK updates?

#10 Posted by Daious (866 posts) -

are we comparing clockspeeds and using it as an indicator of what is best? lol

#11 Edited by topgunmv (10048 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

What tests?

#12 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12755 posts) -

GPU's in general are much more important for gaming, that's been a general rule with PC gaming for as long as I can remember.

The only time a CPU yield would even matter is if there was a bottleneck or you were into Emulation.

#13 Edited by MisterXMedia (230 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

@MisterXMedia said:

@Phazevariance said:

What tests?

http://gamingbolt.com/substance-engine-increases-ps4-xbox-one-texture-generation-speed-to-14-mbs-12-mbs-respectively

I've said before that the Xbone's APU is HIGHLY bottlenecked. The PS4 makes more use of its power than the Xbone. It's kind of worrying, since the PS4 already has a huge power lead above the Xbone. Add inefficient power usage on top of it and you get last-gen graphics like DR3 and MGS V.

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (42618 posts) -

Yay for clock speeds.

#15 Posted by _Matt_ (8743 posts) -

Yay for clock speeds.

Didn't you know? They're more fun than games!

#16 Posted by edwardecl (1753 posts) -

Xbox One probably has more overheads like the Kinect, plus it don't have a secondary processor for background tasks. So all in all there won' be much difference in overall CPU speed available to games.

#17 Edited by Jag85 (4230 posts) -

PS4 has a secondary low-power CPU for background tasks, which should make up for the slight difference in clock speed.

Either way, the GPU is generally a lot more important than the CPU when it comes to processing graphics. And the PS4 has the obvious advantage in that area.

In addition, the PS4 also has the clear RAM advantage over the X1, which has already been brought up many times before on SW.

#18 Posted by locopatho (20037 posts) -

Don't care for specs. 64 bit Jaguar OMG! Megadrive BLAST PROCESSING! I judge games. PS4 is winning in every multiplat.

#19 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Was already confirmed that the PS4 CPU is slower, but you can get more out of it than the Xbone's. Xbone is gonna need more CPU grunt seeing as it's got inferior GPGPU.

#20 Edited by tymeservesfate (1469 posts) -

Don't care for specs. 64 bit Jaguar OMG! Megadrive BLAST PROCESSING! I judge games. PS4 is winning in every multiplat.

not in Thief?

#21 Posted by DerekLoffin (8728 posts) -

Well, if this is true, that means, assuming the one benchmark we have is accurate, that PS4 must have more cores available to use than XB1.

#22 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Months old.

#23 Posted by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

@locopatho said:

not in Thief?

lol thief

#24 Posted by Shewgenja (7893 posts) -

Irrelevant. PS4s CPU utilizes more data throughput than the XBone. Still a better TV remote than a console.

#25 Posted by jake44 (1898 posts) -

Cool I guess.

#26 Posted by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

@Phazevariance said:

sorry, what is this "test" you are speaking off?

#27 Edited by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

LOl "test" = Substance Engine - a middleware software solution available on all platforms

#28 Posted by silversix_ (13538 posts) -

The CPU sucks in both. Not worth talking which one is better cuz my cellphone has a more powerful one

#29 Posted by CwlHeddwyn (5314 posts) -

Xbone may have a slight CPU advantage but the PS4 has a significantly more powerful GPU. Video games are more GPU dependent so overall the PS4 is the more powerful gaming machine.

#30 Posted by Suppaman100 (3559 posts) -

Multiplats are superior on PS4, that's all you need to know.

#31 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@locopatho said:

not in Thief?

You just opened your ass up to ownage on every other multiplat with Thief being questionable. Congrats.

#32 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3156 posts) -

Wow, the Bone is a whole .15 GHz faster. Albert Penello redeemed.

#33 Posted by tormentos (16385 posts) -

No the xbox one CPU i 100mhz faster,but there are test done on the CPU already that show the PS4 CPU to be running better..

Remember they have the same CPU but different memory set ups and the PS4 is a true HSA hUMA design not something close like the xbox one is.

@MisterXMedia said:

@Phazevariance said:

Any prof that is the case now or after the latest SDK updates?

Yeah the magic SDK that already hit yet games like Watchdogs that release on May are still sub 1080p on xbox one..

The SDK will change little when will you people get this,the xbox one architecture was build for cheap making and profits maximization while including Kinect,is the only reason MS use DDR3 and now GDDR5 which they could have afford if they wanted to.

There is not magic drivers or SDK things will improve over launch games because it always does,it did for the PS1,N64,PS2,PS3,DC,xbox,Gamecube,xbox 360, xbox one and will for the PS4 as well..

All this consoles always improve problem is all do not just the xbox one.

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-ice-team-programmer-surface-tilingdetiling-on-the-cpu-is-10-100x-faster-now

Now surface tiling is from 10 to 100 times faster now that when that test was done,so yeah everything improves but sony like always is shooting for tools that make the best use possible of the hardware without any legacy to worry about,while MS use modify DX which still has many over heads and latency as well.

I remember that it was posted here on 2001 an article about AMD saying that developers wanted DX gone,that article was latter rectify because well MS most have cry to AMD and after all they were partners in busyness,fast forward to now and AMD as its own API call mantle which runs games faster than DX does on the same windows platforms,funny how AMD accusing DX of been to over head ridden and full of latency was true in the end and their API actually runs games faster than DX does.

So yeah everything improves not just the xbox one,so the difference will stick to the end of the generation.

@locopatho said:

not in Thief?

Yeah i guess that 50% higher resolution and a 5 FPS advantage is nothing,the only win the xbox one has is a tainted one that was call fast by forums.

DF ignoring performance difference that actually hit gameplay like 20 FPS drop on xbox one,ignoring missing effects which make textures look more real and give a sense of depth to them like Parallax mapping,ignoring a 50% gap in resolution and even problems with shadows popping in on xbox one all of the sudden were ignore in favor of a crappy filter.

Done by a moron which was Corrected by the developers of Need for speed because on that comparison he credit the xbox one version with having a better effect on xbox one that in the end the xbox one didn't even have..hahaha

So yeah enjoy that Thief Victory lol..

#34 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8131 posts) -

Neither is more important to me. I loved gaming on the PS2 and xbox; 360 and PS3; and now X1, soon a PS4 as well. I don't care about this stuff. I play games.

You are one of the very few true gamers here, my friend.

#35 Posted by tormentos (16385 posts) -
@Scipio8 said:

LOl "test" = Substance Engine - a middleware software solution available on all platforms

Almost all multiplatforms game use middle ware dude..lol

The CPU sucks in both. Not worth talking which one is better cuz my cellphone has a more powerful one

No you cell phone one isn't a more powerful one,just because you CPU has 2ghz doesn't mean it is more powerful when it comes to CPU speed isn't always everything.

The iphone 5 isn't even close neither is the Tegra 4 look at how the gap between the phone CPU and the PS4 is bigger than the gap between the Jaguar on PS4 and a core i7.

The tegra 4 is 1.9ghz so it should be faster than a 1.6 ghz jaguar right. Wrong...,architecture play a bigger role here than speed.

#36 Posted by rrjim1 (824 posts) -

@leandrro said:

@ROCKINGFOOL said:

its not a matter of what is more important,

the real question is where is the system's bottleneck?

the weak cpu on the ps4 is properly sized for the mid range gpu and its hard to tell where the bottleneck is in the ps4

the almost identical weak cpu on the x1 is not a bottleneck for the also weak x1s gpu, that gpu is also bottleneckec by the super slow ddr3 ram

ps4 has properly sized cpu, but x1 has lots of cpu to spare

it does not mean that it will ever use it, it only means that cpu on the x1 is not important because the weak gpu and ram is a terrible bottleneck

Nice story, if you believe in fantasy.

#37 Posted by silversix_ (13538 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

@silversix_ said:

No you cell phone one isn't a more powerful one,just because you CPU has 2ghz doesn't mean it is more powerful when it comes to CPU speed isn't always everything.

The iphone 5 isn't even close neither is the Tegra 4 look at how the gap between the phone CPU and the PS4 is bigger than the gap between the Jaguar on PS4 and a core i7.

The tegra 4 is 1.9ghz so it should be faster than a 1.6 ghz jaguar right. Wrong...,architecture play a bigger role here than speed.

it was just to say that they're weak as fuk, not really less powerful than a cellphone cpu... they're so bad that we shouldn't even talk about them and that's my point. Last gen both systems had cpu's worth talking about (especially TEH CELLLLLLL) but this gen its just trash inside a box.

#38 Edited by cainetao11 (15782 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

You are one of the very few true gamers here, my friend.

Thanks. Just play the games, not favorites so much.

#39 Edited by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

@silversix_ said:

and not everyone use Substance engine - tromentos Lulz

#40 Edited by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

GPU's in general are much more important for gaming, that's been a general rule with PC gaming for as long as I can remember.

The only time a CPU yield would even matter is if there was a bottleneck or you were into Emulation.

Depends on the game in question. RTS games with lots of AI require a monster CPU.

#41 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (385 posts) -

I would guess that it would require more than just one test to determine how the cpus in both systems function in a real world setting.

That being said, the cpus are really not that impressive in either of them, from what I have seen.

#42 Posted by Tessellation (8791 posts) -

what a weak POS.

#43 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4115 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Depends on the game in question. RTS games with lots of AI require a monster CPU.

Definitely much more important in a console, though, since RTSs are one of the least popular genres to play on them.

#44 Edited by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

what a weak POS.

Its exactly the same CPU in the X1....

#45 Posted by Tessellation (8791 posts) -
#46 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12755 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

In some cases yes, but I always find GPU's to be the biggest game changer.

This thread backfired gloriously for Lems however, counting clockspeeds, lol. It just makes the Xbone look even weaker.

#47 Posted by MonsieurX (28627 posts) -

cpu speeds don't mean much

#48 Posted by tormentos (16385 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

and not everyone use Substance engine - tromentos Lulz

But many do and what make you think that is Substance is doing better the other ones aren't doing better to.?

The CPU is the same the memory architecture isn't,funny i remember how lemming claimed that GDDR5 would stall the PS4 CPU because of latency apparently it hasn't happen all the contrary,the PS4 is working faster even with 100mhz slower CPU.:p

#49 Posted by superclocked (5812 posts) -

@MisterXMedia: The PS4 CPU is both clocked slower and it's missing pieces. The PS4 has a better GPU, but XB1 has the better CPU...

#50 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3742 posts) -

@xboxiphoneps3 said:

@ROCKINGFOOL said:

no one really knows yet how many cores the PS4 uses in games though, the PS4 is able to produce faster texture generation over the Xbox One

14 mb/s for the PS4 and 12 mb/s for the Xbox One , either PS4 has a extra core available to use for games or something like using 6 1/2 cores and the other 1 1/2 core for the OS and other stuff

That was done in December, more efficient software in time could change this. I don't think the X1 was doing much efficiently in December.