New Xbox One update is out - seems robust

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8377 posts) -

I'm glad some of the features have been fixed like this 50hz TV thing.

Anyway, here's the complete list via Major Nelson's blog:

Improved Multiplayer & Party chat

• Cross title party chat
  • Party chat on by default
  • Easier multiplayer invites
  • Easier multiplayer joining
  • Ability to see what the people in your party are doing

Improved Friends List + Profile

• Improved friends list utility & speed of access
  • Ability to see people you recently played games with
  • See when friends are broadcasting, including live broadcast thumbnails in activity feed
  • Get to a friend’s profile faster using type-ahead suggestions
  • Contextual app menu actions on friends list and activity feed items
  • Enabled more multiplayer (join and invite) actions on user profiles
  • 54 new contest-winning gamerpics

Twitch TV live streaming support

• Broadcast gameplay on Twitch.TV through Xbox LIVE (When the updated Twitch app ships next week.)
  • Voice support for starting and ending broadcast

Bringing out social in home

• See favorite friends currently online
  • See friends broadcasting gameplay

Miscellaneous shell improvements

• Improved notification center experiences including “quiet mode”
  • View Game Clips while in snap mode
  • Protect user settings with passkey

Browser improvements

• Control Bing and Google maps with gesture and controller
  • Quick search when highlighting a term on a page
  • When searching from Bing search on the console, direct link to Internet Explorer in order to see additional web results.

New Devices – Driver and Firmware updates

• Firmware update to the Xbox One controller to support the Xbox One stereo headset adapter
  • Support for 1st and 3rd party headsets
  • Driver updates for the Xbox One Media Remote

SmartGlass Improvements

• Push notification to your device for Xbox Live messages
  • Quickly see what a friend is doing including presence and recent
  • Enhanced viewing of personal and a friend’s game progress and clips
  • Ability to close snap from SmartGlass

Live TV

• 50Hz fix – users can set the Live TV app to display at 50Hz for full or fill modes
  • Volume up/down adjustments – user can tailor the number of volume increments when using “volume up” or “volume down” commands
  • IR blasting of power & volume to TVs/AVRs in all regions
  • AVR setup maps to include model number for most sound bars or AVRs when setting up TV

Improved Audio output support

• SPDIF (optical out) now supports 5.1 Dolby Digital – enabling devices such as sound bars with only Optical In to be able to receive 5.1 Dolby Digital from console over optical
  • HDMI output now supports stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed, 7.1 uncompressed or 5.1 Dolby Digital live or 5.1 DTS

And then some more via Eurogamer, it's Microsoft's product officer, Marc Whitten::

"We value all of the feedback we're getting from you," Whitten concluded. "Keep it coming! We are listening."

Whitten said Microsoft was working on external hard drive storage support for a future update, as well as friends notification improvements.

"Just as we do with Xbox 360, we'll be continuing regular updates to Xbox One - some will be big, like this March update, and some will be smaller," he continued.

"Big or small, we're committed to delivering continuous innovation through system updates like this one. Thanks for your feedback."

#2 Edited by Chutebox (36678 posts) -

X1 hasn't supported uncompressed audio until this?

#3 Posted by Dilrod (4239 posts) -

Why anyone would want their HDTV running at only 50hz through the xboxone is beyond me. Horrible quality, especially for sports.

#4 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9530 posts) -

Today is the Launch of the XBOX One.

#5 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2746 posts) -

Yeah they did a superb job with the new update, and I don't like to nitpick but I was a bit disappointed that they have not added the ability to stream music from Xbox music, in the background, without having to snap it and hence lose 25% of screen space. However they addressed most complaints so this is a great start.

#6 Edited by TigerSuperman (2005 posts) -

Wait, wait, wait....

"Cross title party chat"

What? I though it already had this?

#7 Edited by TigerSuperman (2005 posts) -

Sorry man, I am going to need a link for this. There's now way there was not a party title chat. That would be pure stupidity and I though the old rumor that it did not have it was shot down long ago.

PS4 doesn't have it yet either right?

#8 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Someone should inform to MS that they already lost the gen so that they can spare them further embarrassments.

#9 Posted by donalbane (16206 posts) -

The PS4 is still missing many of the features I relied on from last gen. The difference is there's no announcement of an update to address those shortcomings - though I expect them soon. What's more, the PS3 was an extraordinarily limited box when it launched. Now look at it. Consoles get updates... it's good news no matter how much cold water you try to throw on it.

#10 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9530 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

The PS4 is still missing many of the features I relied on from last gen. The difference is there's no announcement of an update to address those shortcomings - though I expect them soon. What's more, the PS3 was an extraordinarily limited box when it launched. Now look at it. Consoles get updates... it's good news no matter how much cold water you try to throw on it.

Oh yeah I know both consoles were still missing a bunch of features.

Im glad they are getting to it, and thats is why Im have not gotten a PS4 yet.

You never buy a console on launch. And Im willing to wait till the end of this year, if i have to maybe spring of 2015. The PS4 is promising, but I dont shell out my money based on promises.

#11 Posted by BigShotSmoov007 (235 posts) -

Finally, Microsoft is getting things right, I've had the update since last week but it's nice to see that they listen to us. I'm still waiting for the notifications and the external harddrive support so I know I'll have enough space for games in the future, but this gives hope that they'll have it figured out real soon.

#12 Edited by Scipio8 (618 posts) -

@Dilrod said:

Why anyone would want their HDTV running at only 50hz through the xboxone is beyond me. Horrible quality, especially for sports.

Uh? its for PAL regions to prevent the stutter while watching TV using the TV app.

#13 Posted by magicalclick (22461 posts) -

@chutebox:

uncompressed 7.1 was supported, but, it didn't support uncompressed 5.1 if I remembered correctly.

#14 Posted by Heil68 (43508 posts) -

Hopefully its downloaded and installed by the time i get home today.

#15 Edited by Wasdie (49633 posts) -

Wow, the Xbox One must have felt very incomplete without a lot of those features.

#16 Edited by donalbane (16206 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

Wow, the Xbox One must have felt very incomplete without a lot of those features.

It really did. They totally neglected the online offerings this time in particular. I blame the 180 debacle.

#17 Posted by Chutebox (36678 posts) -

@chutebox:

uncompressed 7.1 was supported, but, it didn't support uncompressed 5.1 if I remembered correctly.

In this list it lists both as now supported. Maybe the list is just bunk then, we'll see.

#18 Posted by lglz1337 (3139 posts) -
#19 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13476 posts) -

Those are alot of features that should have been in at launch, good for them to finally fix it however.

#20 Posted by monson21502 (8061 posts) -

now this is what 40 bucks a year gets you.... no annoying weekly updates from psn thats only for sony`s benefit for stopping their system to be modded for pirate games or to take features away to save them a buck.... this is why i trust ms a lot more with my money then sony....

#21 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13476 posts) -

now this is what 40 bucks a year gets you.... no annoying weekly updates from psn thats only for sony`s benefit for stopping their system to be modded for pirate games or to take features away to save them a buck.... this is why i trust ms a lot more with my money then sony....

You trust Microsoft more for giving you less initially?

#22 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

wait...I thought only PCs needed updates and patches.

crazy talk

#23 Posted by lostrib (34718 posts) -

you give MS 40 bucks a year for updates? that seems kind of silly

#24 Posted by monson21502 (8061 posts) -

yes a better online experience. ms is always trying to make xboxlive better . sony is just doing what ever it can to get money like charging for online play on a video game system and acting like its a choice to a gamer instead of just coming out and making a effort to its gamers and make them want to buy psn+ instead of forcing them by making them do something they hated ms from the get go for . sony will not put a effort like this to make things right. they will just push the easy button and give or rent out a free game to fix their problems

#25 Posted by monson21502 (8061 posts) -

@monson21502 said:

i trust them to fix their mistakes more then sony.... last gen was a nightmare for me. my 60 gig ps3 and 20 gig 360 broke within a week apart... i got my 360 fixed for free and sony wanted 189 bucks plus shipping both ways. i just waited till i had extra cash and bought a new ps3 slim. now its louder then my 20 gig 360 and over heats all the time. if it dies on me do u think sony would give me a break since i already spent 850 bucks on their ps3??? nope they will say sorry ur SOL

#26 Posted by silversix_ (14085 posts) -

Still everything in 720p. Nice update!

#27 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

@Chutebox: There's a whole lot of head scratchers on there I had no idea the X1 didn't already have or do.

#28 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13476 posts) -

@monson21502 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

i trust them to fix their mistakes more then sony.... last gen was a nightmare for me. my 60 gig ps3 and 20 gig 360 broke within a week apart... i got my 360 fixed for free and sony wanted 189 bucks plus shipping both ways. i just waited till i had extra cash and bought a new ps3 slim. now its louder then my 20 gig 360 and over heats all the time. if it dies on me do u think sony would give me a break since i already spent 850 bucks on their ps3??? nope they will say sorry ur SOL

That sucks, I still have my old fat 40gig ps3 that came with mgs4 and it runs perfectly.

I knew a lot of people that got caught in RROD hell however. Back to the point of the thread, surely it woud have been better for MS to include this stuff at launch as some of it sounds pretty important. It's like their hell bent on copying Sony's initial reception from last gen.

#29 Posted by kingtito (4876 posts) -

@monson21502 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

That sucks, I still have my old fat 40gig ps3 that came with mgs4 and it runs perfectly.

I knew a lot of people that got caught in RROD hell however. Back to the point of the thread, surely it woud have been better for MS to include this stuff at launch as some of it sounds pretty important. It's like their hell bent on copying Sony's initial reception from last gen.

I think that's pretty much proof MS wasn't ready to launch. MIssing lots of features that were standard last gen makes no sense. I'm glad they're finally getting everything in order.

#30 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13476 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

I think that's pretty much proof MS wasn't ready to launch. MIssing lots of features that were standard last gen makes no sense. I'm glad they're finally getting everything in order.

For sure, the 180 fiasco really threw a wrench in their plans. It's pretty evident they got rushed to release in hopes of remaining competitive with Sony.

#31 Posted by kingtito (4876 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: No doubt. They knew launching with a more expensive AND weaker console well after Sony launched the PS4 would just be a repeat of the PS2 era. They pretty much had no choice.

#32 Posted by lhughey (4223 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@magicalclick said:

@chutebox:

In this list it lists both as now supported. Maybe the list is just bunk then, we'll see.

I think the thing is that those items weren't supported over optical audio, but uncompressed audio was supported over hdmi.

#33 Posted by monson21502 (8061 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

For sure, the 180 fiasco really threw a wrench in their plans. It's pretty evident they got rushed to release in hopes of remaining competitive with Sony.

no they had plans and the media didnt like them. so they went ahead and fixed them. and they still got a lot of work to do. i trust they will get it right and make the xbox one even better . now sony on the other hand i wouldnt trust as far as i could throw them....

#34 Edited by Chutebox (36678 posts) -

@lhughey said:

@Chutebox said:

@magicalclick said:

@chutebox:

I think the thing is that those items weren't supported over optical audio, but uncompressed audio was supported over hdmi.

Um, can optical even transmit uncompressed audio? I think it can if it's linear, but I know it can't do bitstream. So maybe that's what it was in the update (linear).

#35 Posted by Draign (590 posts) -

@monson21502 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@monson21502 said:

Lucky you. My 80 GB fat PS3 disk drive stopped reading long ago. It couldnt handle all the movies i watched on it i guess. The drive is trash.

#36 Edited by kitty (114576 posts) -

Still everything in 720p. Nice update!

For some reason I get the feeling that even if it did 1080p, you still wouldn't buy it. Which imo, would make most the posts you post in these topics, pointless. :P No offense.

#37 Edited by silversix_ (14085 posts) -

@2ndwonder: If it could do 1080p and was more powerful i would've bought it instead of ps4 which is collecting dust. Im not not gonna buy two consoles this generation so yes, even if it did gain 50% more juice i wouldn't buy it but if it gained it before launch, its probably what i would've purchased over ps4.

#38 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8377 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@2ndwonder: If it could do 1080p and was more powerful i would've bought it instead of ps4 which is collecting dust. Im not not gonna buy two consoles this generation so yes, even if it did gain 50% more juice i wouldn't buy it but if it gained it before launch, its probably what i would've purchased over ps4.

I'm confused over your overall purpose - both in your life and on SW alike.

#39 Posted by kitty (114576 posts) -

Surprising. I thought you'd still choose the ps4 over it, even in this case. I figure the exclusives would make it a no brainer. Well given whats on the table this gen, I don't blame you for not buying two. But I assume that even if you did have the bone at this current point in time, it would probably be doing the same as the PS4 or am I wrong?

I'm still waiting and trying to decide on what I want. Me and my roomie is thinking about going half and half on both a PS4 and Xbone, just so we can have them.
I'll probably end up keeping the PS4 if I decide to move, though idk yet.

#40 Posted by tyloss (829 posts) -

All features that should have been standard at launch.

#41 Posted by lhughey (4223 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@lhughey said:

@Chutebox said:

@magicalclick said:

@chutebox:

Um, can optical even transmit uncompressed audio? I think it can if it's linear, but I know it can't do bitstream. So maybe that's what it was in the update (linear).

Optical can bitstream. Actually, the PS3 can bitstream via optical. There's a pic below of the option on the Xbone from Polygons article

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/28/5458244/xbox-one-march-update-dolby-digital-optical-audio

Its odd that even technically inclined people are having problems understanding whats this update fixes. Wouldn't it be nice if M$ just had a nice lil chart :) The audio options for the Bone (as I understand them) are listed below.

Before update - HDMI

uncompressed Stereo, DTS, uncompressed 5.1, uncompressed 7.1

After update - HDMI

uncompressed Stereo, DTS, uncompressed 5.1, uncompressed 7.1, Dolby Digital

Before update - Optical

uncompressed Stereo, Compressed 5.1

After update - Optical

uncompressed Stereo, Compressed 5.1, bitstream

#42 Edited by Chutebox (36678 posts) -

@lhughey:

I'm 100% certain optical can't bitstream uncompressed 5.1 or larger. That picture shows that hdmi is set to 7.1 umcompressed but optical is 5.1 DD.

#43 Posted by lhughey (4223 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@lhughey:

I'm 100% certain optical can't bitstream uncompressed. That picture shows that hdmi is set to 7.1 umcompressed but optical is 5.1 DD.

I did some more digging. It apparently just has the bandwidth to send uncompressed stereo signals. I see that the bitstream option is set to just stream Dolby Digital tracks. Thanks for that.

#44 Edited by Harisemo (4133 posts) -

Some much needed improvements but I want the ability to appear offline BEFORE signing in, the way it was on 360. Appearing offline is completely missing from PS3 and PS4

#45 Edited by silversix_ (14085 posts) -

@2ndwonder: if you read my messages from 2012 and earlier you would see that i was going for the X720 simply because i thought ms had so much money that they'd make a significantly more powerful console and the games i enjoy the most are multiplats, i never purchased or will purchase a system only for its exclusives. But since MS fkedup and fkedup hard,,, there's pretty much no options. Its like as if WiiU existed and Sony would've released the exact same thing (weak and a gimmicky controller) with a SONY stamp on it, i wouldn't buy it and ignore the thing completely.

#46 Posted by silversix_ (14085 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

I'm confused over your overall purpose - both in your life and on SW alike.

okaaaaaaay, cool?

#47 Posted by darkangel115 (1510 posts) -

@2ndwonder: if you read my messages from 2012 and earlier you would see that i was going for the X720 simply because i thought ms had so much money that they'd make a significantly more powerful console and the games i enjoy the most are multiplats, i never purchased or will purchase a system only for its exclusives. But since MS fkedup and fkedup hard,,, there's pretty much no options. Its like as if WiiU existed and Sony would've released the exact same thing (weak and a gimmicky controller) with a SONY stamp on it, i wouldn't buy it and ignore the thing completely.

buying a console for power? yeah good luck with that

#48 Posted by sukraj (22177 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

5.1 dolby digital excites me a lot.

#49 Posted by silversix_ (14085 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

buying a console for power? yeah good luck with that

of what's available? yes. what's the problem? i have a pc and want one console with it and that console must be the most powerful of the three. Some are okay with 720p graphics in 2014.... im not.

#50 Posted by Heil68 (43508 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Heil68 said:

5.1 dolby digital excites me a lot.

I'm happy for that too!