New Xbox One IP In The Works That Will "Push The Boundaries"

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-xbox-one-ip-in-the-works-that-will-push-the-bo/1100-6423154/

Don't know if posted but figured could make for good SW material. :P

Few things stick out but for me, this caught my eye and I like what I'm hearing...

"Also in the interview, Spencer was asked what its British internal studio, Rare, is working on. He teased that he'd love to see them doing "something new that feels like a Rare game," going on to say that he's flying to the studio's office next month to see a pitch for the new game.

"I don't want Rare to become the Kinect Sports team," Spencer said, reiterating a point he's made previously. He added that while no new Kinect Sports titles are in the works now, the brand is important to Xbox and another team could work on a Kinect Sports title."

Any thoughts?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

My thoughts are hell fucking yes!

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Will be nice to ssee a new I.P.

MS are doing a good job keeping the games coming and the diversity of those games is something to be commended. I like Phil, I think he knows what xbox owners want.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

In Phil I trust.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

What are people expecting from Rare? I mean, does that team have any of the old Rare members there still? If not, why expect anything like what they used to do?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Even Phil knows Kinect(lol) sucks for gaming. Welcome new non-Kinect(lol) IPS.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Halo Kinect Tennis then? It's not Kinect Sports so Rare won't be the "Kinect Sports Team" and it's a Kinect game so it will feel like a Rare game ;)

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chikenfriedrice

@Heil68 said:

It's not good for hardcore games...never has never will but for games like Dance Central and Disney Fantasia etc it's awesome ( tried Fantasia last night and it's a blast ) but the fact that Phil wants Rare to work on other games besides Kinect Sports is a great thing....why waste the talents left at Rare on secondary games, lets have them do some new IP's or bring back Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo!

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

A rare game? Does it push the boundaries of mediocrecy?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

@Chutebox said:

What are people expecting from Rare? I mean, does that team have any of the old Rare members there still? If not, why expect anything like what they used to do?

Prior to Kinect, Rare delivered 1 AAAE and 4 or 5 AAE's games so there remains talent there.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

It's not good for hardcore games...never has never will but for games like Dance Central and Disney Fantasia etc it's awesome ( tried Fantasia last night and it's a blast ) but the fact that Phil wants Rare to work on other games besides Kinect Sports is a great thing....why waste the talents left at Rare on secondary games, lets have them do some new IP's or bring back Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo!

I wouldn't look forward to any past Rare games to come out and be any good, especially from Rare. I saw the demo for Fantasia and briefly considered trying it :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

@millerlight89 said:

Rare delivered some pretty awesome core games for 360 including Banjo N&B and the VP's sooo, just sayin. :P

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chikenfriedrice

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

I wouldn't look forward to any past Rare games to come out and be any good, especially from Rare. I saw the demo for Fantasia and briefly considered trying it :P

I would look forward to it, they have delivered in the past and just got stuck making Kinect Sports. Try the demo, Harmonix is brilliant. Gamefly sent me Fantasia instead of Shadow of Mordor or Evil Within, I was pissed at first but the game is actually fun lol.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Rare? lmao. Please shitbin.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Thank you Phil Spencer for sticking to the "for gamers, by gamers" philosophy and delivering world class exclusives.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#16 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher: Go play your PSCrap.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

LoL... Microsoft doesn't know what boundries are.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chikenfriedrice

@GrenadeLauncher said:

If you read the article this isn't just about Rare....Rare was mentioned towards the end. The new "pushing the boundaries" IP is not from Rare.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

thats good ms....this new gen needs some new good ip's

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@SecretPolice: nuts and bolts.....am I supposed to take that seriously? They are no where near what they use to be. Microsoft made sure of that.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@millerlight89 said:

Rare delivered some pretty awesome core games for 360 including Banjo N&B and the VP's sooo, just sayin. :P

That Rare dosen't exist anymore. Pretty sure they've had immense turnover and reduction in staff since their best days. How many key leaders are left from their peak?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

God I love Phil.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@Chutebox said:

You're right, it's not the same team. But they still likely have some competent developers, and it's nice to know they'll at least attempt to make a game worth a damn rather than Kinect Sport sequels.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@Chutebox said:

Prior to Kinect, Rare delivered 1 AAAE and 4 or 5 AAE's games so there remains talent there.

Kameo and Banjo right? Well, here's to hoping they start pumping out shit like that.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Viva Pinata 3, Phil.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Chutebox said:

What I came to explain. They put a Kinect Engineer in charge of RARE and a lot of the remaining RARE talent was shed. Before Kinect, they still had RARE running RARE (although they had lost talent during this time frame as well), but after Kinect the studio was changed forever.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

I would look forward to it, they have delivered in the past and just got stuck making Kinect Sports. Try the demo, Harmonix is brilliant. Gamefly sent me Fantasia instead of Shadow of Mordor or Evil Within, I was pissed at first but the game is actually fun lol.

Why did you put it in your que? ;)

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chikenfriedrice

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

It was way on the bottom lol....I wanted to check it out but wanted the other games first...too low availability I guess.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

I have faith.

Rare + no kinect. = can't be that bad, possibly amazing?

Hope it's amazing.

What fanboys and people don't understand is if MS produces something original and great Sony will have to respond with something equal or better because they are from that old-school compete with games philosophy. A competition using the old traditional "who can make the best damn games" moto is the best thing that could happen to this gen. And this announcement from MS seems like a step in the right direction.

Similarly, MS getting their face smashed in the mud by gamers voting with dollars letting them know that they aren't going to put up with their non-gaming, rip-off scheme BS and making MS go back to the drawing board and making them start all over again with a focus on good games is the best thing that could have happened.

Sony is a better gaming compnay, but MS could also be great with the right focus.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@GrenadeLauncher: Go play your PSCrap.

I will. Go watch Vines on your Xbone. :)

@chikenfriedrice said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:

If you read the article this isn't just about Rare....Rare was mentioned towards the end. The new "pushing the boundaries" IP is not from Rare.

Oh, so my statement applies regardless.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

i don't think so

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidTy
@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

It was way on the bottom lol....I wanted to check it out but wanted the other games first...too low availability I guess.

You weren't one of the staunch Xbone DRM defenders last year right?

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Chutebox said:

What I came to explain. They put a Kinect Engineer in charge of RARE and a lot of the remaining RARE talent was shed. Before Kinect, they still had RARE running RARE (although they had lost talent during this time frame as well), but after Kinect the studio was changed forever.

Which doesn't really mean much. All developers lose and gain talent. Rare could be an entirely new team of entirely new employees, but that doesn't mean theres no talent there.

Look at Knack. People thought it would be amazing with Cerny behind it, and look it turned out garbage.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@SecretPolice: Yes, a few new IP's would be nice, especially if they are AAA type games.

XB1+1080P+60fps+DX12+Cloud+New IPs+Phil = Pushing Boundaries

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidTy

@RR360DD said:

@SolidTy said:

@Chutebox said:

Which doesn't really mean much. All developers lose and gain talent. Rare could be an entirely new team of entirely new employees, but that doesn't mean theres no talent there.

Look at Knack. People thought it would be amazing with Cerny behind it, and look it turned out garbage.

I follow developers as I've explained here in SW many times, and that summation I gave up there I actually could go into in depth, but it's not needed.

Yes, devs lose and gain talent. The issue is quality of talent and direction the studio is hiring. In this case, RARE was losing talent and the new talent being hired were directly for Kinect development and not hired by RARE. The hiring was done by a newly promoted Kinect Engineer who was placed in charge of RARE, an outsider that wasn't maintaining that unique RARE culture that had been in place.

Knowing what I know (I haven't even explained the entire RARE fiasco as I've done that many times in the past) I'm not going to put my hopes into a developer with their current recent game release history, and knowing what I know about who is running RARE, based on that fact alone in hopes they gained good talent warranting a return to old form.

If it happens great. I would love RARE to release a game I would want to buy. Love it. I own two decades+ of RARE titles going back to Battletoads. However, I'm not going to fantasize and pretend it's the same old RARE and they've been waiting to return to form. That's a fantasy at this stage, especially with all the information out there on what happened at RARE (the internal destruction of RARE), especially just in the last 5 years.

Regarding Knack, I never touted Knack and I don't care about Knack. I'm talking about studios with a long history, not a single person. That's not even a good comparison as RARE has a gaming release history (including critical quality) we can scrutinize and a hiring/firing history we can analyze (something fans of the studio and researching writers have done for RARE).

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chikenfriedrice

@SolidTy said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

I was on the fence....I like all digital and I think it is the future. I would have been bummed that I wouldn't be able to rent games but it's been that way on the PC forever. Just like I do on Steam, I would buy the games I wanted right away and wait for sales on the ones that are lower on my play list.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

"Push the boundaries"

sub 20 fps confirmed.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

hopefully its true but i will believe it when i see it. it has been so long since rare made anything worthwile, i dont even know what genre they would want to take because halo has fps covered, gears has tps covered maybe rpg? because fable is shit or platformer which i dont really want

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy
@chikenfriedrice said:

@SolidTy said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

I was on the fence....I like all digital and I think it is the future. I would have been bummed that I wouldn't be able to rent games but it's been that way on the PC forever. Just like I do on Steam, I would buy the games I wanted right away and wait for sales on the ones that are lower on my play list.

Well, something being considered 'the future', doesn't mean we have to give up the advantages of present day, as you know since you are renting.

Renting is certainly a huge advantage consoles have over PC gaming (along with trading/selling/collecting/gifting/lending). The renting privilege is an interesting subject. I don't rent, but it's certainly something that wasn't going to be allowed on Xbone's DRM proposal. I wouldn't mind seeing the ratio of rentals across the board at Gamefly, I wonder where most of their business comes from (I would guess Wii or 360). As the new generation takes over, it's intriguing to consider the landscape for Gamefly's current business model. It could have just been Wii U and PS4 in an alternate reality. I'm glad that didn't happen. In fact, if Digital is the future and that future is next gen (still think we are generations from that), Gamefly and services like them will be going the way of the Dodo.

Something to consider for renters (lurkers in SW reading this) as they are playing their Gamefly rental disc. In fact, I wonder of those that were arguing for the DRM, how many of them were Gamefly customers at the time? Renting didn't come up that much in the conversations I had back then, probably because I don't rent, but I wish it did.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chikenfriedrice

@SolidTy said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@SolidTy said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Renting is certainly a huge advantage consoles have over PC gaming (along with trading/selling/collecting/gifting/lending). The renting privilege is an interesting subject. I don't rent, but it's certainly something that wasn't going to be allowed on Xbone's DRM proposal. I wouldn't mind seeing the ratio of rentals across the board at Gamefly, I wonder where most of their business comes from (I would guess Wii or 360), but as the new generation takes over, it's intriguing to consider the landscape at Gamefly could have just been Wii U and PS4 in an alternate reality. I'm glad that didn't happen.

Yes, not being able to rent games on the PC is the only drawback...but then again I have built up a library of over 50 games via steam lol. I have been a GF member for many years and it's a great service, I am able to play more games this way and if I like the game I can keep it at a lower price plus another 10% discount....for instance I enjoyed FH2 so much that I bought it from GF for $42.

I bet most of GF's business is from the 360/PS3 but they are having a hard time with availability with X1/PS4 games too, so those are shipping out like crazy. I'm kind of glad that MS changed their mind but who knows if they had some sharing plan in mind, they didn't do a good job of getting their message across.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it. That said, I think Phil Spenser is a stand up dude and I'm sure he meant what he said. The real question is, "will it be any good?:"

I wish him luck.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

"New ip"... Such glorious words.

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

"I don't need another military space marine game" -- Phil Spencer

So even Phil makes fun of the lemmings hyping yet another halo.

"push the boundaries."

Another thing I noticed is that Phil and xbox even started to copy Sonys vocabulary not to mention every feature Sony established in the last few years. Funny how they are chasing Apple in the smartphone market and Sony in the gaming market. MS in complete identity crisis.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RR360DD

@thegreatgeneral said:

"push the boundaries."

Another thing I noticed is that Phil and xbox even started to copy Sonys vocabulary not to mention every feature Sony established in the last few years. Funny how they are chasing Apple in the smartphone market and Sony in the gaming market. MS in complete identity crisis.

Sony vocabulary? Features that Sony have etablished?

lmao thanks for the laugh

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Phil did say that Rare is going back to its roots. Bring on the megatons (and butthurt for cows).

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@thegreatgeneral said:

"push the boundaries."

Sony vocabulary:

"push the boundaries."

"Best place to play"

You should watch some Sony conferences if you dont get it.

Sony have etablished:

Region Free

Renting games, but better games

Apps outside of paid service

No need for weak damage control. MS are chasing/copying Sony (But without much luck).

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

Nintendo actually made a good move by dumping Rare, 'cause they haven't done jack shit for MS except give them a new crappy KI, and destroy the Perfect Dark brand with Perfect Dark 0.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

While I would like to see something new from Rare, the studio was crippled under Nintendo, and since that point more talent has left, and so have the founders.

I would like to see a showcase game from MS (and Sony for that matter) that doesn't involve "shooting" a bunch of dudes for 8 hours while being fed a story only through cutscenes, and then ending.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RR360DD

@thegreatgeneral said:

@RR360DD said:

@thegreatgeneral said:

"push the boundaries."

Sony vocabulary:

"push the boundaries."

"Best place to play"

You should watch some Sony conferences if you dont get it.

Sony have etablished:

Region Free

Renting games, but better games

Apps outside of paid service

No need for weak damage control. MS are chasing/copying Sony (But without much luck).

I find it ridiculous that you're implying Sony have some sort of ownership over such general terms. I hear that kind of PR fluff in the studio all the time, I guess they're all using "Sony" vocabulary too LOL

Such small, insignificant 'features'. The only one I will give credit for is the offering of 'free' games every month.

MS are chasing Sony in hardware sales, but thats where it ends. They've steamed ahead in UI and Online. I mean they've always been ahead in infrastructure, Sony never have and never will come close. They're producing better quality exclusives despite being widely perceived as a company that has no games.

Theres really nothing on the PS4 that they need to be chasing or copying. Not even Sony know why the PS4 is selling, and they've admitted that themselves.