New Xbox called "Xbox 8" ?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by soapandbubbles (3074 posts) -

Epic Games vice president Mark Rein has dropped the next-gen bombshell by confirming that their mighty engine which powers hit games such as Gears of War, and Batman Arkham City is already running on next gen hardware.

At the DICE summit in Las Vegas this week, Rein confirmed that Epic would reveal Unreal Engine 4 later this year. The Unreal Engine 4 is also currently running with ?systems we can?t name yet,? Rein is reported to have said during the DICE Awards.

Recently we reported that alpha forms of the next-generation Xbox console which could be named ?XBOX 8? ? not 8 because it?s the eighth Xbox, but because it?s the eighth generation home console and heavily shares the same software as upcoming Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. It was reported to us that the next-gen console was on display by invite only during CES 2012, running a version of Battlefield 3 in next-gen visuals ? most likely to be up on par with current high-spec gaming PC?s.

Full article - http://www.thisisxbox.com/360/epic-games-confirm-unreal-engine-4-is-running-on-next-gen-consoles-already/

---

Honestly, could see it working. Picture the Dashboard logo screen...8 shaped sideways as the infinity symbol and then as the xbox name comes up, it transforms into an 8...just a thought :)

#2 Posted by 001011000101101 (3951 posts) -
Oh lol, that would be soooo bad.
#3 Posted by freedomfreak (39372 posts) -

Xbox 8?

Really?

#4 Posted by ActionRemix (5707 posts) -

This is about as likely as it being called the DirectXbox.

#5 Posted by dovberg (3348 posts) -

I think they meant the next version of windows is called windows 8, just maybe.

#6 Posted by skipper847 (3176 posts) -

Unless its going to be a PC in a box with windows 8 as OS?> :P

#7 Posted by joojtzu (1132 posts) -
I assumed its how many xbox's did it take before they found one which didnt do rrod lol.
#8 Posted by Badosh (12729 posts) -

8 > 4.

#9 Posted by ActionRemix (5707 posts) -
#10 Posted by Badosh (12729 posts) -
#11 Posted by Zophar87 (4346 posts) -

Lol. Consoles noobs. They're next OS for the PC is Windows 8 so the Xbox 8 makes sense.

#12 Posted by ActionRemix (5707 posts) -

Lol. Consoles noobs. They're next OS for the PC is Windows 8 so the Xbox 8 makes sense.

Zophar87

But it sounds dumb...

#13 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

Not likely. They will have some sort of reason for naming it what it's named. Just like 360 meant "surrounding the user" or an experience that was build around the user.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (56256 posts) -
This name makes about as much sense as the Xbox 360 did, so obviously, this is bound to be true.
#15 Posted by BibiMaghoo (4019 posts) -
A turd by any other name, is still a turd.
#16 Posted by PSP107 (11878 posts) -
Kind of silly.
#17 Posted by soapandbubbles (3074 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

ActionRemix

But it sounds dumb...

You never learn...how does playstation 1 2 3 sound to you, or Wii? just names. dude
#18 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5149 posts) -

Rumor has it (actually not rumor, they pretty much confirmed this) that the next Xbox will run on windows 8, and they will share the same interface between desktop, tablets, and phones, like Apple and Google do.

#20 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

That's real dumb. I'm expecting Xbox Infinity, it sounds good and it isn't completely stupid.

#21 Posted by carlisledavid79 (10503 posts) -

8 > 4.

Badosh
8 < 360
#22 Posted by bleehum (5320 posts) -

http://i.imgur.com/l1ofV.jpg.

#23 Posted by j_assassin (898 posts) -
Whats wrong with 8? I think it sounds better and simple
#24 Posted by Badosh (12729 posts) -
[QUOTE="Badosh"]

8 > 4.

carlisledavid79
8 < 360

golf.
#25 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

makes sense, xbox360 is a full circle making a "0", so Xbox8 is basically 2 full circlesstuck together making a double "0" or 360 x2.

or you could just call it xbox double zero.

#26 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20034 posts) -
Xbox 8? That's just ridiculous.
#27 Posted by PAL360 (26747 posts) -

The name is the leaast of my concerns. As long as its powerful enough and has BC, ill be happy.

#28 Posted by carlisledavid79 (10503 posts) -
[QUOTE="carlisledavid79"][QUOTE="Badosh"]

8 > 4.

Badosh
8 < 360

golf.

fore
#29 Posted by SecretPolice (21539 posts) -

Firstly, you've all been trolled by Mark Rein. :o

Secondly, there is a bit of truth in there sine it will be called Xbox 77 cuz ya get 8 more. :twisted:

Anyhoo, Games > Names.:P

#30 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
But, 8 is less than 360.
#31 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

But, 8 is less than 360.Haziqonfire

the angle of 360 is a full circle...making a 0, 8 is more then 0. but I just look at it like 2 zeros stuck together. :) double zero

#32 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Lol people care? Video game consoles have always had stupid ass names. Playstation Vita Wii Wii-U 360 Nintendo 64
#33 Posted by Spinnerweb (2928 posts) -
Oh come on, we all know it's gonna be Xbox 666 :P
#34 Posted by John_Read (1191 posts) -
xbox ate :P
#35 Posted by fantasyfacade (8315 posts) -
Could it possible have something to do with Windows 8, maybe the new xbox uses the new windows software or interface?
#36 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

Sounds like Microsoft is using "Xbox 8" (relevant to the 8th generation) just as a concept name. It won't be the final name. The industry does this all the time. Wii was revealed at E3 05 as "Revolution". Before that the Gamecube concept name was "Dolphin" and N64 was "Project Reality". Dreamcast had the concept name "Katana".

Companies always have to use a placeholder name for their systems while still in the development stages, for easy referencing. This is nothing new.

#37 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -

thats how many hours it will take before it overheats.

which is improvement.

#38 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

which is improvement.

rasengan2552

So the next Playstation should be called "Playstation Quarter"? Maybe because we can expect it to sell 25% more than what the PS3 did, which would be an improvement. Am I doin it right? ;)

#39 Posted by verbtex (8500 posts) -

This name makes about as much sense as the Xbox 360 did, so obviously, this is bound to be true.charizard1605

I think the 360 worked. It integrated a full circle of things, like online, single player games, and then kinect.

#40 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -
Not being a fanboy, but no that wouldn't work well. People won't think of it as the 8th generation of home consoles so they'll just look at it and think "WTF?". If they want to use the number 8 they could call it G8 (generation 8) which also isn't that far from Great, lol ..
#41 Posted by shalashaska88 (3087 posts) -
What's wrong with that? Sounds ok to me
#42 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]This name makes about as much sense as the Xbox 360 did, so obviously, this is bound to be true.verbtex

I think the 360 worked. It integrated a full circle of things, like online, single player games, and then kinect.

Amazing that people still don't comprehend this :?

#43 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

which is improvement.

AdobeArtist

So the next Playstation should be called "Playstation Quarter"? Maybe because we can expect it to sell 25% more than what the PS3 did, which would be an improvement. Am I doin it right? ;)

how you got around to trying to bash the Playstation because of that comment reveals alot about you...

#44 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

which is improvement.

casharmy

how you got around to trying to bash the Playstation because of that comment reveals alot about you...

So you don't get satire? ;)

#45 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

So you don't get satire? ;)

doesn't really work in this situation, it just exposes your mentality.

#46 Posted by AdobeArtist (22829 posts) -

Still not seeing the forest for the trees I see, "Dr Freud". Never occured to you that the previous posters bashing of 360 might have any bearing? Of course that never bothered you, did it? What does your one sided viewpoint of system bashing say about you? ;)

#47 Posted by rasengan2552 (4868 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

which is improvement.

AdobeArtist

Mods getting butthurt over comments ? now I've seen it all, and you're playing sales as well ... lemmoderator.
#48 Posted by verbtex (8500 posts) -

Mods getting butthurt over comments ? now I've seen it all, and you're playing sales as well ... lemmoderator.rasengan2552

Just because we are mods doesn't mean we have to be completely neutral. As long as we aren't moderating unfairly, we can have a preference. I try to be as neutral as possible, but I have to admit, I DO have a console preference.

#49 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

It corresponds with Windows 8, mabey the next Xbox will be more integrated with it. However it's just a really stupid name just like 360, but it works I guess.

Still not interested in it, just going with PS4 and WiiU next gen. Not going with MS since they treat their consumers and fanbase like dirt and try to nickel and dime them on EVERYTHING. Plus they don't have enough exclusive studios to warrent a purchase.

Sony and Nintendo are the way to go.

#50 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"] Mods getting butthurt over comments ? now I've seen it all, and you're playing sales as well ... lemmoderator.verbtex

Just because we are mods doesn't mean we have to be completely neutral. As long as we aren't moderating unfairly, we can have a preference. I try to be as neutral as possible, but I have to admit, I DO have a console preference.

That's fair, I think everyone has a prefrence towards one console or another. It's not wrong either as long as you don't act like your preference is better.

However old TOU there were definately mods that suspended people because they disagreed with them.