New Wolfenstein previews are up, game sounds baller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3259 posts) -

Shamelessly stolen from another website.

The new Wolfenstein managed to unsettle me for a different reason. I don't get sick playing first-person shooters, but its display of graphic violence and Nazi-inflicted atrocity got to me. One sequence in particular from the game's first chapter disturbed me, enough to be convinced that developer MachineGames is making the new Wolfenstein a solid, old-school shooter wrapped around a chilling horror game.

But this new Wolfenstein isn’t leading you by the nose the entire time. Every level in the demo branched out multiple times into wider gunfight arenas with several methods of approach. These paths are usually split between a stealthy and guns-blazing method of confrontation. Blazkowicz can traverse buildings making up a Nazi checkpoint by traveling across patios or rooftops, by kicking down doors, or by speeding down a zip line. Health packs scattered throughout the levels provide the only way for you to regain energy — one of a few callbacks to Wolfenstein’s roots.

Standard controls apply, with the PlayStation 4’s triggers helping to bring the weighty, well-balanced gunplay to its brilliant best. Speaking of which, the guns feel incredibly powerful, and the game doesn’t shy away from the destructive power such weaponry would yield. Noggins pop like watermelons when you snap off a satisfying headshot, and the outstanding audio design makes each kill feel even more visceral.

Finally, a classic shooter in the vein of Doom and Quake, even sounds a little Red Faction-y.

Titan-what?

EDIT: removed gif
- mac

#2 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8171 posts) -

Yes, this makes me semi-interested.

#3 Posted by Tlgersuperman (87 posts) -

Hope it's good. The last good wolfenstein was return to castle wolfenstein.

#4 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8171 posts) -

@Tlgersuperman True that, I've been a freshman in high school back then, that was

12 years ago.

#5 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

The new Wolfenstein managed to unsettle me for a different reason. I don't get sick playing first-person shooters, but its display of graphic violence and Nazi-inflicted atrocity got to me. One sequence in particular from the game's first chapter disturbed me, enough to be convinced that developer MachineGames is making the new Wolfenstein a solid, old-school shooter wrapped around a chilling horror game.

But this new Wolfenstein isn’t leading you by the nose the entire time. Every level in the demo branched out multiple times into wider gunfight arenas with several methods of approach. These paths are usually split between a stealthy and guns-blazing method of confrontation. Blazkowicz can traverse buildings making up a Nazi checkpoint by traveling across patios or rooftops, by kicking down doors, or by speeding down a zip line. Health packs scattered throughout the levels provide the only way for you to regain energy — one of a few callbacks to Wolfenstein’s roots.

Standard controls apply, with the PlayStation 4’s triggers helping to bring the weighty, well-balanced gunplay to its brilliant best. Speaking of which, the guns feel incredibly powerful, and the game doesn’t shy away from the destructive power such weaponry would yield. Noggins pop like watermelons when you snap off a satisfying headshot, and the outstanding audio design makes each kill feel even more visceral.

Finally, a classic shooter in the vein of Doom and Quake, even sounds a little Red Faction-y.

Titan-what?

I hope it isn't like doom and quake because those games were terribly repetitive and had nothing to them at all except mindlessly shooting things in the same levels reskinned over and over again. Those games were god awful, but they were awesome in the day because there wasn't anything else like them. But definitely not games that with stand the test of time.

#6 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8171 posts) -

This is Starbreeze, I have faith in it. However, should they fail, I can see them becoming bankrupt which is what I would never want to happen as many inferior studios are still around.

#7 Edited by IgGy621985 (4572 posts) -

Titan-what?

Putting console controller "triggers" and "classic" in the same meaning. Yeah...

#8 Posted by Jankarcop (8866 posts) -

Should be another nice "best on pc" title.

#9 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (1862 posts) -

This is not even wolfenstein

Return to castle wolfenstein and enemy territory were last 2 great wolfenstein games. THOSE ARE NOT WOLFENSTEIN GAMES

#10 Edited by bobbetybob (19089 posts) -

This is not even wolfenstein

Return to castle wolfenstein and enemy territory were last 2 great wolfenstein games. THOSE ARE NOT WOLFENSTEIN GAMES

RTCW wasn't Wolfenstein, what was with all the silly occult stuff!

Wolfenstein 3D wasn't Wolfenstein, it was an all out action game, the original focused more on stealth!

#11 Posted by musicalmac (22694 posts) -

This is also a game with Titans.

See?

Titan-what?

If Titanfall isn't ultimately the game (between these two) that may not get better scures, but that enjoys a longer life span, I'd be genuinely surprised. I'd actually be surprised if it scored lower, too. I don't have much faith in this new game yet (yet).

#12 Posted by Snugenz (11468 posts) -

Plus it comes with (think you need to preorder it though) access to the Doom 4 beta.

#13 Posted by Flubbbs (2839 posts) -

hope its good.. the newest trailer looks awesome

#14 Posted by Heil68 (42724 posts) -

I had high hopes for last game and it wasn't that good. I'll see how this one turns out.

#15 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

Getting it regardless, desperate for games at the moment and this looks like a lot of fun.

#16 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16139 posts) -

I'm sooooo excited after seeing this gameplay-preview:

But the Titanfall comparison is a bit stupid.

Yes, both games seem to take the best elements of old school and modern day shooters. But one is a fast paced MP competitive shooter and the other is a SP-only shooter.

#17 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

Woah thanks for that video, this game looks beautiful (love the art style of it) and dayumn who doesn't love gore? Now I'm really excited.

#18 Edited by DocSanchez (1417 posts) -

I really like the series. It mixes shooting nazis in the face with eerie mysticism so it's always pretty good. Not expecting an AAA but it'll be worth buying anyway.

#19 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (385 posts) -

Wow. I hadn't really followed this game at all because all of the flop after flop that has come out with the Wolfenstein name as of late.

I loved the original games. Thanks OP, now I have another game to spend money on.

Bethesda really is becoming one of my favorite publishers.

Here a far fetched hope, but maybe, just maybe, they can also pull out a win with the new Doom. Awesome franchises if they do them justice. Obviously the old format will not work, but they still have massive potential.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (6981 posts) -

Looks like overscripted consolized shit for people who want "movie games".

Go play RTCW for a proper FPS.

#21 Posted by silversix_ (13666 posts) -

i would be blown away if this thing scored over 6/10

#22 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16490 posts) -

What the hell does "game sounds baller" mean? Is that a typo or something?

#23 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12849 posts) -

I actually really hope this is good, return to castle wolfenstein is one of my favorite shooters and it had some of the Best MP ever along with an awesome campaign.

I really hope this game is nothing like Rage, That goes for doom 4 as well.

#24 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

Sounds promising.. but will have to wait and see... I do hope it has good gunplay. It's ridiculous how all these shooters have very unrealistic feel or impact of their guns.

#25 Posted by with_teeth26 (5995 posts) -

Looks like overscripted consolized shit for people who want "movie games".

Go play RTCW for a proper FPS.

you must have missed the part where it has large non-linear levels.

Looks fun to me, the gunplay looks awesome.

#26 Posted by blangenakker (2072 posts) -

Hopefully it's fun

#27 Edited by XboxStache (910 posts) -

Another stupid game. One guy versus 100. Unrealistic. No squad AI in 2014. lollol. I guess it must be 1995 again.

#28 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5913 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher: I give you props for the Doom, Quake and Red Faction mentions. The hate on Titanfall deserves a knee to the groin though.

#29 Edited by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

I love the shooting, the enviroments, the art style, etc. Looking forward to this. Too bad people will only get it for Doom 4.

I actually really hope this is good, return to castle wolfenstein is one of my favorite shooters and it had some of the Best MP ever along with an awesome campaign.

I really hope this game is nothing like Rage, That goes for doom 4 as well.

You better hope it has half as good enemy AI and gunplay. Rage did those quite well.

#30 Posted by Ballroompirate (21769 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k:

That actually made me hyped for the new Wolfenstein

#31 Posted by lostrib (31865 posts) -

Another stupid game. One guy versus 100. Unrealistic. No squad AI in 2014. lollol. I guess it must be 1995 again.

They're not trying to be realistic. heck, most games aren't realistic

#32 Posted by XboxStache (910 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Then why make this steaming pile of shit of a game to begin with?

That's the problem with gaming and people like yourself. You take whatever dsvs offer and make excuses for them. Whereas, games like COD, MOH, Arma, Halo and such innovate and at least include that touch of realism. Who in their right mind would play a shooter in which you have an ordinary, armor-less grunt against a shitload of other grunts? Unbelievable. I was just starting to like you, lostrib.

#33 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

games like COD innovate and at least include that touch of realism.

Who in their right mind would play a shooter in which you have an ordinary, armor-less grunt against a shitload of other grunts?

Read that over and over. You are either trolling, or clueless. Both?

#34 Posted by lostrib (31865 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

That's the problem with gaming and people like yourself. You take whatever dsvs offer and make excuses for them. Whereas, games like COD, MOH, Arma, Halo and such innovate and at least include that touch of realism. Who in their right mind would play a shooter in which you have an ordinary, armor-less grunt against a shitload of other grunts? Unbelievable. I was just starting to like you, lostrib.

...It's a video game set in an alternative 1960 universe where you fight nazis with "super weapons," they're not aiming for realism. And more importantly, it's a video game.

"a shooter in which you have an ordinary, armor-less grunt against a shitload of other grunts" --you just described both MOH, COD, and Arma. Both MOH and COD are unrealistic, at least ArmA does aim to be a realistic military sim, and halo is science fiction.

I don't really care if you like me or not, especially because you seem like an asshole

#35 Posted by XboxStache (910 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

...It's a video game set in an alternative 1960 universe where you fight nazis with "super weapons," they're not aiming for realism. And more importantly, it's a video game.

"a shooter in which you have an ordinary, armor-less grunt against a shitload of other grunts" --you just described both MOH, COD, and Arma. Both MOH and COD are unrealistic, at least ArmA does aim to be a realistic military sim, and halo is science fiction.

I don't really care if you like me or not, especially because you seem like an asshole

Don't try buttering my ego, dipstick. I don't want your fingers anywhere near me, assfingers.

#36 Posted by lostrib (31865 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Don't try buttering my ego, dipstick. I don't want your fingers anywhere near me, assfingers.

...If that's what you gleaned from my statement, you have some serious reading comprehension issues; as well as an odd obsession with bringing up ass play on a video game forum so maybe it's a good thing you don't like me

#37 Posted by XboxStache (910 posts) -

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Who in their right mind would play a shooter in which you have an ordinary, armor-less grunt against a shitload of other grunts?

Stfu!!! What a dork.

#38 Edited by lostrib (31865 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Stfu!!! What a dork.

Wow, calling someone a dork on the internet...real mature

#39 Edited by DocSanchez (1417 posts) -

@XboxStache: You've officially lost it. If you ever had it in the first place.

#40 Posted by XboxStache (910 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

@millerlight89 said:

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Stfu!!! What a dork.

Ya. But he deserved that. Wtf, brah.

#41 Posted by lostrib (31865 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

@millerlight89 said:

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Stfu!!! What a dork.

Ya. But he deserved that. Wtf, brah.

Whatever, brah.

Or should i await another PM from you complaining about my behavior

#42 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@XboxStache said:

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

Stfu!!! What a dork.

You're kind of strange.

#43 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3259 posts) -

Wasn't expecting a meltdown in my little Wolfenstein topic.

#44 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

Wasn't expecting a meltdown in my little Wolfenstein topic.

Shouldn't have posted it in System Wars then, lol.

#45 Edited by sukraj (21660 posts) -

This game looks good its my next purchase.

#46 Posted by adamosmaki (9369 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@XboxStache said:

So a game has to be realistic in order to be fun ? What a load of BS. Go play serious sam 3 and then come tell me MOH or COD are more fun. And Lol ( never thought i would use that phrase ) at COD been innovative

#47 Posted by AM-Gamer (3346 posts) -

But the pc sucks and nobody cares.

#48 Edited by Jankarcop (8866 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop said:

But the pc sucks and nobody cares.

If nobody cared why does it have the most gaming revenue and concurrent players?