New Vita bundle sold out @ Gamestop & Amazon #VivalaVita

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@lostrib: I would too. It's awesome hardware, I just don't have any interest in spending 200$ on something that primarily features ports of console games. Sony really needs to take a queue from Nintendo -- the on thing they're doing right, right now -- and offer premium games you can't get anywhere else. Sony needs its Pokemon, so to speak. With all that babble about Gamefreak's insistence Pokemon won't work on consoles, I think the main reason is that Pokemon moves so many handhelds for Nintendo, they don't want to risk cutting into that business.

The Vita needs that title, something addictive that can move millions of handhelds, and that's been what they've lacked in their handheld division so far.

That's just plain ignorance. The Vita has more original IPs than the 3DS. Also, having multiplats is a plus, not a negative. Giving people the option to play their favorites games on the go is a plus. Or if they didn't play the game before they now have an opportunity to in a much more convenient form.

Quantity doesn't equal quality. The Vita has some great games. But if the the Vita had a must have game, it wouldn't be selling like it is. History shows that. Multiplatform games aren't a plus when you have to spend an additional 40$ on top of the original 60 to play them on your handheld. If you're playing them for the first time, why not spend less on the better version on a console you most likely already have? I doubt many people buying a Vita don't already have another console. The Vita very rarely has simultaneous releases. Borderlands 2 is no longer 40$ on consoles, why spend that on the worst looking version, when you already have a console with a much cheaper, better looking version?

If I'm being ignorant, I'm certainly not seeing it. I played a fair game when talking about the console. It's a great console. It's awesome. It does things the 3DS never will be able to do, but it's somehow not selling nearly as well. I never laid out any kind of argument of vast superiority for the 3DS. I pointed out Pokemon. Pokemon is the addictive franchise that moves millions upon millions of Nintendo handhelds. Sony doesn't have that. And pushing a handheld that simulates a lesser version of home consoles isn't going to change its fortunes. It needs not more exclusive IP, it needs defining IP. What was the defining IP of the PSP? I couldn't tell you. Many gamers (not all, not most, but many) couldn't tell you. Again, the PSP was great hardware. It was better than the DS. But it didn't have the software to move it.

I really like the Vita. Hell, I like it more than the 3DS and I'm a Nintendo enthusiast. But the console doesn't have any defining titles that make me have to own it, at least not anything I can't already play on other, more capable consoles. Promoting Borderlands 2, a game that the kind of gamers the Vita's aimed at played in 2012, is not going to give it the boost Sony wants and needs in 2014. It needs a title that says, "This is why this fucking thing exists. This is why we made a Vita. And this is why the combination of those two things will make you buy one." Sony's handhelds don't have that. If that's being ignorant, I don't know what being reasonable is. I'm playing fair ball here.

People don't seem to understand the point of a handheld. It's for the on to go experience. You try bringing your HDTV and PS3 with you on the bus and trying to find an outlet to play it. And you're right, quantity doesn't equal quality. Vita's sales have a lot less to do with library than it does with a combination of bad timing and the smart device era. Also, the Vita and 3DS are both fundamentally different devices. The 3DS has a much more family oriented/casual audience, as evidenced by its titles, commercials, and its owners. The problem with the fanboys is that that they have this weird ego thing going on where they have to socially validate a device before actually trying it for themselves. Promoting Borderlands 2 was an interesting move. You can't really say it didn't work until you see the results. Borderlands 2 is a very popular franchise with millions of copies sold. What makes you think people wouldn't want to play this on the go? at work? at school? The game also showcases the hardware pretty well. All in all, I don't let other people decide for me what I think is enjoyable. Pokemon is a very successful franshise, but you can't deny that it's propelled by its kiddy audience whether you like it or not. I grew up with Pokemon, was basically part of the gamer generation that played it first. It was fun then, but as an adult I can barely consider that fun.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@lostrib: I would too. It's awesome hardware, I just don't have any interest in spending 200$ on something that primarily features ports of console games. Sony really needs to take a queue from Nintendo -- the on thing they're doing right, right now -- and offer premium games you can't get anywhere else. Sony needs its Pokemon, so to speak. With all that babble about Gamefreak's insistence Pokemon won't work on consoles, I think the main reason is that Pokemon moves so many handhelds for Nintendo, they don't want to risk cutting into that business.

The Vita needs that title, something addictive that can move millions of handhelds, and that's been what they've lacked in their handheld division so far.

That's just plain ignorance. The Vita has more original IPs than the 3DS. Also, having multiplats is a plus, not a negative. Giving people the option to play their favorites games on the go is a plus. Or if they didn't play the game before they now have an opportunity to in a much more convenient form.

Quantity doesn't equal quality. The Vita has some great games. But if the the Vita had a must have game, it wouldn't be selling like it is. History shows that. Multiplatform games aren't a plus when you have to spend an additional 40$ on top of the original 60 to play them on your handheld. If you're playing them for the first time, why not spend less on the better version on a console you most likely already have? I doubt many people buying a Vita don't already have another console. The Vita very rarely has simultaneous releases. Borderlands 2 is no longer 40$ on consoles, why spend that on the worst looking version, when you already have a console with a much cheaper, better looking version?

If I'm being ignorant, I'm certainly not seeing it. I played a fair game when talking about the console. It's a great console. It's awesome. It does things the 3DS never will be able to do, but it's somehow not selling nearly as well. I never laid out any kind of argument of vast superiority for the 3DS. I pointed out Pokemon. Pokemon is the addictive franchise that moves millions upon millions of Nintendo handhelds. Sony doesn't have that. And pushing a handheld that simulates a lesser version of home consoles isn't going to change its fortunes. It needs not more exclusive IP, it needs defining IP. What was the defining IP of the PSP? I couldn't tell you. Many gamers (not all, not most, but many) couldn't tell you. Again, the PSP was great hardware. It was better than the DS. But it didn't have the software to move it.

I really like the Vita. Hell, I like it more than the 3DS and I'm a Nintendo enthusiast. But the console doesn't have any defining titles that make me have to own it, at least not anything I can't already play on other, more capable consoles. Promoting Borderlands 2, a game that the kind of gamers the Vita's aimed at played in 2012, is not going to give it the boost Sony wants and needs in 2014. It needs a title that says, "This is why this fucking thing exists. This is why we made a Vita. And this is why the combination of those two things will make you buy one." Sony's handhelds don't have that. If that's being ignorant, I don't know what being reasonable is. I'm playing fair ball here.

People don't seem to understand the point of a handheld. It's for the on to go experience. You try bringing your HDTV and PS3 with you on the bus and trying to find an outlet to play it. And you're right, quantity doesn't equal quality. Vita's sales have a lot less to do with library than it does with a combination of bad timing and the smart device era. Also, the Vita and 3DS are both fundamentally different devices. The 3DS has a much more family oriented/casual audience, as evidenced by its titles, commercials, and its owners. The problem with the fanboys is that that they have this weird ego thing going on where they have to socially validate a device before actually trying it for themselves. Promoting Borderlands 2 was an interesting move. You can't really say it didn't work until you see the results. Borderlands 2 is a very popular franchise with millions of copies sold. What makes you think people wouldn't want to play this on the go? at work? at school? The game also showcases the hardware pretty well. All in all, I don't let other people decide for me what I think is enjoyable. Pokemon is a very successful franshise, but you can't deny that it's propelled by its kiddy audience whether you like it or not. I grew up with Pokemon, was basically part of the gamer generation that played it first. It was fun then, but as an adult I can barely consider that fun.

And I agree with you. Everything you're saying is correct. The entire point of bringing Nintendo's handhelds, and specifically Pokemon, into the discussion is not to praise that franchise or company, but to point out that Sony needs that kind of audience. Not the Pokemon audience, but the expansiveness of an audience a game like Pokemon draws in.

You can't play a Pokemon RPG on anything other than a Nintendo handheld, save for the mediocre Gamecube titles. The 12 million plus sales of Pokemon X and Y -- the highest selling titles on the 3DS -- show exactly why people buy the 3DS. The Vita can boost its library with ports of console games. I'm not one to deny the value of that to certain gamers. There's certain games I love enough to jump on the ability to play them on the go, even if it means paying an extra 40$. I'm not going to be so narrow-minded I deny that I did that on the 3DS. I paid 40$ for Ocarina of Time. I already have it on two home consoles, yet I paid for it again. Sony's not unwise in trying to draw in people with ports of Borderlands, etc... I'm not against that strategy. I just think they need something beyond that. That's what I'm seeing Sony promote their console as. A home console on the go, not a standalone unit. Not something that holds its own with original titles you can't get anywhere else.

They don't have a Pokemon. They don't have a game with the kind of mass appeal that Pokemon has, little kid audience or not, that you can't play anywhere else by the Vita. Time and time again, that's what moves absurd amounts of hardware, knowing that if I don't buy this specific system, I won't be able to play the game I want. Vita needs that game. It has a great library that potential owners would love to play, if only they had that game. The Pokemon of Sony handhelds.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

When I went to the Sony Store in Manhattan yesterday, they only had one 32GB memory stick left for my Vita. The thirst is real.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

What's really awesome is someone messed up and I got two borderlands codes in the box. So I gave it to my bro and we played co-op all yesterday. The game is serviceable but the frame rate is ass. I'd give the game a 7.5 on vita.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

Picked one up along with FFX/X2 HD, Rayman Legends and Persona 4 Golden and I'm happy with my purchase so far. Filled up the memory card with Gravity Rush, Uncharted and Soul Sacrifice. Hopefully a price drop on the cards is announced soon because that was the main reason I was holding out on getting a vita and it looks like 8GB is not going to cut it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

If Vita had anything worth play, to my tastes, I would love to get one. I have a friend who has one and I play it sometimes when I'm at his house.

It's not spectacular, but looks nice.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

And I agree with you. Everything you're saying is correct. The entire point of bringing Nintendo's handhelds, and specifically Pokemon, into the discussion is not to praise that franchise or company, but to point out that Sony needs that kind of audience. Not the Pokemon audience, but the expansiveness of an audience a game like Pokemon draws in.

You can't play a Pokemon RPG on anything other than a Nintendo handheld, save for the mediocre Gamecube titles. The 12 million plus sales of Pokemon X and Y -- the highest selling titles on the 3DS -- show exactly why people buy the 3DS. The Vita can boost its library with ports of console games. I'm not one to deny the value of that to certain gamers. There's certain games I love enough to jump on the ability to play them on the go, even if it means paying an extra 40$. I'm not going to be so narrow-minded I deny that I did that on the 3DS. I paid 40$ for Ocarina of Time. I already have it on two home consoles, yet I paid for it again. Sony's not unwise in trying to draw in people with ports of Borderlands, etc... I'm not against that strategy. I just think they need something beyond that. That's what I'm seeing Sony promote their console as. A home console on the go, not a standalone unit. Not something that holds its own with original titles you can't get anywhere else.

They don't have a Pokemon. They don't have a game with the kind of mass appeal that Pokemon has, little kid audience or not, that you can't play anywhere else by the Vita. Time and time again, that's what moves absurd amounts of hardware, knowing that if I don't buy this specific system, I won't be able to play the game I want. Vita needs that game. It has a great library that potential owners would love to play, if only they had that game. The Pokemon of Sony handhelds.

Sony's success comes from having a plethora of games that appeal to everyone. It does have a couple of mega franchises like Gran Turismo and God Of War, and even Uncharted, but these do not sell Pokemon type numbers. Not even close. The Vita has plenty of games that come from existing successful franchises and also new franchises. This includes LBP Vita, KZ Mercenary, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Lumines, Ys Memories of Celceta, Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth, and games like Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, Tearaway, Vita Pets (for the kiddies!) and upcoming Freedom Wars. I'm also interested in Oreshika and Tales of Hearts R. Vita also has new ips with indie: OlliOlli, TxK, Guacamelee, Velocity Ultra. Tales from Space. You also have popular indie games like Spelunky, Hotline Miami, etc. Vita also has the distinct advantage of having superior multiplats over 3DS. Even on games that they both have, they are superior on Vita. Like Rayman Legends and Origins. If you simply answer "well I have this on console", then you obviously don't know how much better it is on a Vita OLED screen and playing it on the go. Also, multiplats like FFX HD, MGS HD Collection, God of War HD Collection etc, yes, they are on console, but the fact that they are also on portable is a HUGE advantage over 3DS. AND on top of all that, you have PS4 (and to some extent PS3) remote play. You know how good this feature is? You can play PS4 games through your Vita just by internet connection. That alone is a selling point for some people. It's that good.

So what new IPs does 3DS have? Tomadachi life? I really don't care about "socializing" in the virtual world when can I just socialize in real life. Or if I want a game, I can play the Sims. I have a 3DS by the way, there are some good games. But as someone who has played Nintendo franchises since I was very young, I think I'm a little tired of playing the same stuff with just a slight twist.

So basically, that's what I mean by ignorance.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: But in pointing out Sony's biggest franchises, you're highlighting the Pokemon point pretty well. Nintendo's biggest IP don't move as many units as Pokemon -- Mario, Zelda, etc... They aren't moving Pokemon-level units. That's why Vita needs something that big as its backbone. Handhelds have the potential to move far more consoles than their home console counterparts. They're cheaper, more practical, their games are usually more plentiful and inexpensive.

You listed all these great features of the Vita, strengths I'm absolutely not arguing against, yet the 3DS is still dominating the handheld space by a gigantic margin. That's my sole reason for pointing out the Vita needs something addictive with wide-spread appeal, something to accompany all of those other great features. If they do that, Nintendo might have a serious competitor for the handheld space, and that's something they've never had before.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SolidGame_basic

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SolidGame_basic: But in pointing out Sony's biggest franchises, you're highlighting the Pokemon point pretty well. Nintendo's biggest IP don't move as many units as Pokemon -- Mario, Zelda, etc... They aren't moving Pokemon-level units. That's why Vita needs something that big as its backbone. Handhelds have the potential to move far more consoles than their home console counterparts. They're cheaper, more practical, their games are usually more plentiful and inexpensive.

You listed all these great features of the Vita, strengths I'm absolutely not arguing against, yet the 3DS is still dominating the handheld space by a gigantic margin. That's my sole reason for pointing out the Vita needs something addictive with wide-spread appeal, something to accompany all of those other great features. If they do that, Nintendo might have a serious competitor for the handheld space, and that's something they've never had before.

lol I already refuted these points already, but it's all good! btw, I decided to go with the slim!

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

The best buy near me only received 2 units....

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SolidGame_basic
@ninjapirate2000 said:

Mine had 5. They were still sold out yesterday. Even so, it's still on backorder at Amazon and Gamestop which is impressive.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ninjapirate2000 said:

Mine had 5. They were still sold out yesterday. Even so, it's still on backorder at Amazon and Gamestop which is impressive.

Just order it online: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-vita-wi-fi-borderlands-2-limited-edition-bundle/4683005.p?id=1219102791864&skuId=4683005&st=playstation%20vita&cp=1&lp=1

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ladyblue said:

Sony good news? Time to throw some dirt on it.

so defencive, hows the cool aid hypocrit?

On-topic ... good, I prefer it to my 3DS in many ways... the system needs more love.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SolidGame_basic

@lostrib: mine is already on its way. I was just making a point about it selling out

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

@lostrib: mine is already on its way. I was just making a point about it selling out

but if each retailer got a small amount of Vitas then selling out really isn't that big a deal.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

On-topic ... good, I prefer it to my 3DS in many ways... the system needs more love.

You lost it. Your bias is in full display. Difference is I never hid it.

This is precisely what emotional investment gets you. Thanks for proving me right.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lostrib

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

This is precisely what emotional investment gets you. Thanks for proving me right.

so you're emotionally invested in Sony?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By LadyBlue

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

Not sure I would use emotionally invested, but I do prefer their systems, and games. So yeah, you could say I'm invested in a way.

This could be a learning experience for you.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SolidGame_basic

@lostrib said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

but if each retailer got a small amount of Vitas then selling out really isn't that big a deal.

ok?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lostrib

@ladyblue said:

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

Not sure I would use emotionally invested, but I do prefer their systems, and games. So yeah, you could say I'm invested in a way.

that's sad

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By LadyBlue

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

that's sad

When did having a preference become sad. I'm not saying I devote my life to them or their products.

but you seem to enjoy twisting everything to rag on me. Not sure why.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lostrib

@ladyblue said:

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ladyblue said:

that's sad

When did having a preference become sad. I'm not saying I devote my life to them or their products.

but you seem to enjoy twisting everything to rag on me. Not sure why.

To be emotionally invested in a corporate brand

what a shame