New Valve Steam Controller image appears

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/steam-client-beta-update-reveals-latest-steam-controller-design.245634/

This looks great, though, i wish they used an 8 line spread to indicate the pressure points.

Also still not sure about the ergonomics of the thing. Looks unconfortable. But prototype is prototype.

Adding those 2 would make this awesome.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Yuck.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

Dead on Arrival.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

Every day it deviates more from original design and is becoming the 360 controller. They are trying so hard to force the trackpad things. It's never going to emulate a mouse for aiming, and a trackpad is never going to emulate a stick for movement. Should have just come out with a nunchuck and a mouse with platform that can be placed on your lap.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@mikehockbourns said:

Dead on Arrival.

why?

@mr-powers said:

Every day it deviates more from original design and is becoming the 360 controller. They are trying so hard to force the trackpad things. It's never going to emulate a mouse for aiming, and a trackpad is never going to emulate a stick for movement. Should have just come out with a nunchuck and a mouse with platform that can be placed on your lap.

There's an analog stick right there.

And while the r-trackpad can't fully emulate mouse movement, it's a far better option than analog.

Has for games that make much more use of mouse, like strategy games and cprgs, that's where the both trackpads come into place.

Not perfect, obviously pure K/M is better for games that are better with it, but this controller is a shapping up to be a better alternative to dualshock and xbox ones

WeddingRing40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WeddingRing40
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I still wish they had stuck to the original design :-/

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

Dead on Arrival.

it never had a chance

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@charizard1605 said:

Everything from the original design is there, minus the 4 button pad at the center.

But to be fair, the original looked even more unconfortable, and had no analog stick. Provided that it's a trackpad on the right and not a d-pad (probably, since it's still ha s a circle around it), it's not that different at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Everything from the original design is there, minus the 4 button pad at the center.

But to be fair, the original looked even more unconfortable, and had no analog stick. Provided that it's a trackpad on the right and not a d-pad (probably, since it's still ha s a circle around it), it's not that different at all.

The issue is the new design appears to be far more cramped than the original one, which had a sort of elegance to it.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Look forward to trying it...

....so much hate already, and so little hands on. But I guess thats the common approach to anything different.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

The issue is the new design appears to be far more cramped than the original one, which had a sort of elegance to it.

Ok, but i don't find the original to be "elegant".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Ok, but i don't find the to be "elegant".

Lol, I guess they are just differing opinions on something none of us has really had the chance to go hands on with yet. Maybe the final release will put all doubts to rest, I hope it does. Whenever it releases.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, me too. It looked nice (IMO) and seemed to be very innovative (versus other controllers).

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DEadliNE-Zero0

@charizard1605 said:

Lol, I guess they are just differing opinions on something none of us has really had the chance to go hands on with yet. Maybe the final release will put all doubts to rest, I hope it does. Whenever it releases.

Fair enough. Oh, and it'll release soon

alongside Half Life 3, Steam machines and the Steam OS hahahaha

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr-Powers

@deadline-zero0 said:
@mr-powers said:

And while the r-trackpad can't fully emulate mouse movement, it's a far better option than analog.

Has for games that make much more use of mouse, like strategy games and cprgs, that's where the both trackpads come into place.

Not perfect, obviously pure K/M is better for games that are better with it, but this controller is a shapping up to be a better alternative to dualshock and xbox ones

lol nope. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of pc gamers will stick to kb/m for the genres that are good for it like strategy and CSGO, and 360/DS4 for everything else.

I've tried aiming with trackpads, you can even do it on ps4 on Warthunder. It's serviceable, but nothing revolutionary.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'll probably get one just to see what it's like. If I don't like it, I can just continue using KB & M / X360 (Or XBone controller if I get one).

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

gross

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@mr-powers said:

The sad part is its still better for fps than fumblesticks and autoaim.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@mr-powers said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

lol nope. I'm willing to bet the vast majority of pc gamers will stick to kb/m for the genres that are good for it like strategy and CSGO, and 360/DS4 for everything else.

I've tried aiming with trackpads, you can even do it on ps4 on Warthunder. It's serviceable, but nothing revolutionary.

I'm not saying those wh prefer K/M will stop using it. I know i won't.

The point is, many pc gamers like myself do use gamepads, and the Steam controller should be able to do everything a DS/XBcontroller can, plus abit more.

In addition to the normal 4 face buttons, 4 should buttons and left analog, it has

- 2 back buttons

- the left trackpad is clickable, with a 4 way spread from the looks of it, to either use has a d-pad in normal gamepad games, or has a way to use a mouse like tool for games that need it.

- the right trackpad is closer to a mouse than a traditional stick, so while not has good has the usual tool, obviously, it's still a better option than an analog, specially for third person shooters, which many pc gamers play wiht controllers.

- fully customizable. While the xbox and playstation pads use fixed layouts, with a 2 or 3 alternatives, the Steam controller is meant to be identified has a K/M, therefore being fully changeable. Including, like i said, the L-trackpad to d-pad switch.

Has i said in the OP, if the ergonomics are well made, this controller has hufe potential. All the advantages on a normal gamepad, minus some particular games that need 2 analogs like Brothers: AToTS, plus it's own added benefits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I just don't get it. Wonder if I can connect my ps4 controller to play on PC yes I hate keyboard and mouse, it only works for Civilization and Sim City

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mr-Powers

@deadline-zero0 said:

@mr-powers said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

I'm not saying those wh prefer K/M will stop using it. I know i won't.

The point is, many pc gamers like myself do use gamepads, and the Steam controller should be able to do everything a DS/XBcontroller can, plus abit more.

In addition to the normal 4 face buttons, 4 should buttons and left analog, it has

- 2 back buttons

- the left trackpad is clickable, with a 4 way spread from the looks of it, to either use has a d-pad in normal gamepad games, or has a way to use a mouse like tool for games that need it.

- the right trackpad is closer to a mouse than a traditional stick, so while not has good has the usual tool, obviously, it's still a better option than an analog, specially for third person shooters, which many pc gamers play wiht controllers.

- fully customizable. While the xbox and playstation pads use fixed layouts, with a 2 or 3 alternatives, the Steam controller is meant to be identified has a K/M, therefore being fully changeable. Including, like i said, the L-trackpad to d-pad switch.

Has i said in the OP, if the ergonomics are well made, this controller has hufe potential. All the advantages on a normal gamepad, minus some particular games that need 2 analogs like Brothers: AToTS, plus it's own added benefits.

You can send in pretty much any controller and have paddles installed. I've seen xbox controllers with 4 paddles on the back or 4 buttons. The reason console makers don't make that standard is because the controller has to be usable for all ages. Say when the owner of the system wants to play a game with his kid, it's harder for them to use buttons on the back. Sony talked about this when they mocked up huge version of dualshock to simulate what it's like for a kid to use a normal controller.

The left trackpad would not be able to compete with a traditional dpad, I'd even take the old 360 dpad over using that for fighting games. A lot of the buttons on this controller look like trash tbh, especially the shoulders. It's prototype though, so that could change.

I don't see how the right trackpad demolishes analog or is much closer to mouse aiming. Again, sony already beat them to the punch, you can use the trackpad on Warthunder and sometimes I did use it when I played, but it wasn't a clear improvement or much worse. It was mixed results. Other games make use of it as well. I couldn't imagine playing socom with a trackpad though. I imagine it would be a game by game preference, I can see it being good for RTS like you said but I would probably still prefer KB/M for that.

You would think the trackpad would be better for doing 180s, but people do that 360 and 180 no scope crap with no problem at higher sensitivities on console.

Being customizable is cool, but I rather not do the work the devs should be doing. Give me some alternates, and let me play. Some games, like Warthunder are heavily customizable on console including deadzones and acceleration.

This controller looks like it would work for very specific situations, and not a replacement for what people are using now. I can see using this if you want to play through the story on an RTS or point and click game while sitting on your couch. I think people will still be using a 360 or DS4 pad to play Dark Souls and whatnot.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts

Man, they had a great controller at first, but now they are just ruining it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

This will not make me change from my 360's controller. It really is the best controller ever made.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@charizard1605: Agreed they should of kept the touch screen

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Can't wait to see how this turns out, because - for once - Valve seems all over the place over what to do about the controller.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@deadline-zero0:

I used to be exited for the hardware ideas Valve has going on...then I realized nothing they are making will ever come out.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

it's a nice improvement, but I'm still not interested in it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I am eager to try one out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Eeh like most Controllers I will atleast give it a shot. Might be good, I mean so far the controller of this gen that impressed me the most have been the Wii U Pro Controller.

So lets see how this does when it arrives.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

They should have tried to engineer a device that allows accurate K/M gaming in a slouchy position....

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Why do they feel the need to create a controller? just create the steam machine and bundle it with MS Windows controller (360 controller) and call it a day.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

If you're playing on PC, I doubt you're using a controller that much. Two of the most popular games are LoL and Dota and I don't see those kids using a controller lol.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

ill just stick to my x360 controller or x1. neat thing ms added is x1 controller can connect to pc with mini usb

#awesome

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Every time I see that it looks like someone accidentally put all the controls on the bottom of the controller rather than the top.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#37 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@enzyme36:

Movie fans and gaming community is full of drama queens. Don't worry, it's just awesome to hate everything in the beginning. That's what cool kids always do.