New Thief Game To Be Announced 11th May (Next Monday)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by angelkimne (14037 posts) -

Well, while browsing the latest EDGE magazine (it came out yesterday), I came across a recruitment ad by Eidos Montreal at the back of the mag:

(rubbish phone + shaky hands)

As you can see it says they will announce a new project on, well, the 11th of May. And those words you can't really see beneath it are:

Now the only game that's featured in all those is, yep, you guessed it, Thief:

Linky 1

Linky 2

Linky 3

Just to confirm it:

http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_Thief_4_project

" A posting on Eidos Montreal's website suggests that Thief IV may be about to undergo development. The post states states that, "Eidos-Montréal is proud to announce the recruitment for our 2nd "AAA" project. ... A hint! The title begins with the letter " T "... The article then goes on to draw several other conclusions. Nothing is known yet on what a possible new plot might be, apart from claims that it was initially intended to be a "retelling" of the original games. "

I guess I'm looking forward to it....

#2 Posted by Aljosa23 (25127 posts) -

Bah, I was hoping Bethesda would develop it. :(

#3 Posted by Mckenna1845 (4410 posts) -
coolio, hopefully it turns out good.
#4 Posted by FishSquared (773 posts) -
Cool. I still need to check this series out, maybe this will be a new window for me.
#5 Posted by sillaris (1083 posts) -

need new video card maxing out thief and Deus ex is a MUST

#6 Posted by 404-not-found (1050 posts) -
The return of the greatest stealth game ever made.
#7 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Inb4 cellshaded.

#8 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

It will propably be crippled by consoles limitations, so I'm putting more hopes into DarkMod, but as Thief3 has shown even crippled Thief is better than any other stealth game

#9 Posted by dgsag (6760 posts) -

It will propably be crippled by consoles limitations, so I'm putting more hopes into DarkMod, but as Thief3 has shown even crippled Thief is better than any other stealth game

AdrianWerner
Crippled? Technically, even console hardware will pull off vastly better graphics tech and immersion than was possible in past Thief games.
#10 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

Crippled? Technically, even console hardware will pull off vastly better graphics tech and immersion than was possible in past Thief games.dgsag

yeah..and that "vastly better graphics tech' will mean petite and linear levels to make them fit into consoles' puny memory. And immersion? I doubt that. Thief3 graphics were a lot better than T1 and t2 and yet it wasn't as immersive as them. I doubt the new one will come anywhere near T1-2 immersion, no matter how good graphics it will have.

Still hoping for excellent game though

#11 Posted by 404-not-found (1050 posts) -

[QUOTE="dgsag"]

Crippled? Technically, even console hardware will pull off vastly better graphics tech and immersion than was possible in past Thief games.AdrianWerner

yeah..and that "vastly better graphics tech' will mean petite and linear levels to make them fit into consoles' puny memory. And immersion? I doubt that. Thief3 graphics were a lot better than T1 and t2 and yet it wasn't as immersive as them. I doubt the new one will come anywhere near T1-2 immersion, no matter how good graphics it will have.

I know Thief 3 wasn't anywhere near Thief 1 and 2, but it was a great game overall. If it's as good as Thief 3 I'll be happy. I love Garret's voice.
#12 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

I hope so, as I loved Deadly Shadows to death.

#13 Posted by hoosier7 (3844 posts) -
Sounds good
#14 Posted by resevl4rlz (3279 posts) -

Aljosa23

please tell me you are JOKING

#15 Posted by -DrRobotnik- (5463 posts) -
Awesome!!!!!!! I hope its a 2009 title, because it would automatically jump to the top of my most wanted list if it is!
#16 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9013 posts) -

[QUOTE="dgsag"]

Crippled? Technically, even console hardware will pull off vastly better graphics tech and immersion than was possible in past Thief games.AdrianWerner

You are spot on and I agree with you completely.
#17 Posted by Scoob64 (2633 posts) -

SWEEEEEET... a new Thief sounds awesome :) thanks for the post.

#18 Posted by Planeforger (15797 posts) -

So, from Monday onwards, we're all allowed to start complaining that Thief 4 will be the worst in the series, horribly dumbed down, etc? :P

Eh, even if it's the worst in the series, it could still be one of the best stealth games ever. I guess all I can say is "Woo, finally!"

#19 Posted by MachoBuzzzy (4638 posts) -
Why isn't Bethesda developing this?
#20 Posted by Vandalvideo (39656 posts) -
Oh goody, Eidos is killing another classic. Banzai!
#21 Posted by Planeforger (15797 posts) -

Why isn't Bethesda developing this?MachoBuzzzy

They must be too busy working on Monkey Island 5.

#22 Posted by MachoBuzzzy (4638 posts) -

[QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"]Why isn't Bethesda developing this?Planeforger

I tthought Lucas arts developes that series
#23 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

[QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"]Why isn't Bethesda developing this?Planeforger

I wish
#24 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"]Why isn't Bethesda developing this?HarlockJC

I wish

God forbid. Not even LucasArts can make a good MI game anymore. The only dev I might trust with the license is Telltale.
#25 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9260 posts) -

That's crazy I was just thinking yesterday... Why don't they make a new Thief game.

Just hope its as good as 1 and 2.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

I'll just stick with Dark Project and Metal Age... thanks. Its obvious this game is going to be less complex and more casualized than Deadly Shadows.

#27 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -

why can't they just let the classics die. Why must everything be destroyed for the same sake of making more money, if it isn't developed by the minds behind it don't advertise it as another thief game.

They should learn something from Bioshock.

#28 Posted by AAllxxjjnn (19988 posts) -
I'm just gonna wait and see how this turns out.
#29 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="dgsag"]

Crippled? Technically, even console hardware will pull off vastly better graphics tech and immersion than was possible in past Thief games.404-not-found

I know Thief 3 wasn't anywhere near Thief 1 and 2, but it was a great game overall. If it's as good as Thief 3 I'll be happy. I love Garret's voice.

T3 was supposed to end Garret's story. I'm a bit torn, on one hand...it's Garret and I want to hear Stephen Russell's incredible voice overs again, on the other hand though if they would force it artificaly...I'm not sure.

#30 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]

Cherokee_Jack

I wish

God forbid. Not even LucasArts can make a good MI game anymore. The only dev I might trust with the license is Telltale.

I would trust AutumnMoon with it too, propably more than Telltale actualy (it would be episodic and 3D with Telltale), but whoever would be designing it they would still need to hire Ron Gilbert :)

#31 Posted by EmperorZeruel (4194 posts) -
i heard the series is realy good, even though i never played it. i have a fealing it might flop lots of time when a sequal gomes out many years later its just not the same
#32 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] I wishAdrianWerner

I would trust AutumnMoon with it too, propably more than Telltale actualy (it would be episodic and 3D with Telltale), but whoever would be designing it they would still need to hire Ron Gilbert :)

Or...they could both work on it. And get Ron Gilbert AND Tim Schafer involved. Now that would get my attention.
#33 Posted by AdrianWerner (28058 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] God forbid. Not even LucasArts can make a good MI game anymore. The only dev I might trust with the license is Telltale.Cherokee_Jack

Or...they could both work on it. And get Ron Gilbert AND Tim Schafer involved. Now that would get my attention.

I think it would be too much :) Plus MI is Gilbert's baby, Schafer had small input into it. compared to Ron. I would rather make him to Grim2 :)

#34 Posted by PBSnipes (14621 posts) -

AdrianWerner
Please, can we hold off on the console bashing until we see the damn game?
#35 Posted by jasonharris48 (21441 posts) -

Aljosa23

Nice joke

#36 Posted by dgsag (6760 posts) -
Awesome!!!!!!! I hope its a 2009 title, because it would automatically jump to the top of my most wanted list if it is!-DrRobotnik-
Given they announced Deus Ex 3 over a year ago and we've haven't even seen gameplay footage of that yet, even a 2010 release for a new Thief game would be unlikely.
#37 Posted by BioShockOwnz (52901 posts) -

I would love to see the return of the best stealth franchise. Velvet Assassin, Saboteur, New Thief, and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I'll be one bad stealth motha this year.

#38 Posted by kidonre (441 posts) -
The return of the greatest stealth game ever made.404-not-found
hell yeah I always laugh when people say MGS or Tenchu are the best stealth games, they clearly never played Theif
#39 Posted by LikeHaterade (10643 posts) -

The return of the greatest stealth game ever made.404-not-found

Amen. I don't think Eidos will disappoint. I still can't believe this is happening! XD