New Quantum Break gameplay

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@FrozenLiquid said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

So many things are monotonous by nature.

Max Payne is 99% jumping in slow motion with dual pistols and I love... every... second of it.

Most shooters are monotonous. But you really don't care as long as the gameplay keeps you engaged. Like: hundreds of games have put you in rooms to shoot at nazis, but none have done the shooting so well as say Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Then again, that is a bad example as that game does more to spice things up than Alan Wake...

I can understand if a game is not your cup of tea and that you are still interested in checking out the story. But for me when a game is not fun to play well then the game ends for me there.

Deadly Premonition looks like an interesting game. but if it turns out that it's not fun to play. I'll just leave it at that :P

A game is all about playing. Just like a movie is all about watching and a book is all about reading. If I saw a clip of Alan Wake, it could not be one of my favourite games. If I heard someone just talk about Scarface, it could not be one of my favourite movies.

It wouldn't be the same experience.

So even if you find that they are putting Alan Wake in contrived ways in forests to shoot at stuff, and it's gameplay is monotonous (which I agree with to a certain point), that is still core to what Alan Wake is. And not playing Alan Wake like a game, kinda defeats how the story, experience, everything was made.

And finding the book pages ? I dunno, I really like how Alan Wake was brought to me as a gamer, not as a watcher, not as a reader. I was playing a game. I was playing Alan's story.

In the interview Sam Lake answered which game he was most proud of, and he said Alan Wake. I thought: Damn right !

From this thread I can understand you're an Alan Wake/Remedy apologist but I'm not sure how what I experienced isn't within the realm of possibility. It's really not that far fetched to think about: I thought playing the game was boring, but I thought its story was interesting enough to see how it ends.

The point is, I gave Alan Wake a fair shake: I got to about half way through the game. It was monotonous, and not in the "every game is monotonous way". It was sluggish. Its mental stimulation as a shooter was low. It lost its privilege of my time and my effort by the halfway mark.

I've also noticed you mentioned this twice now, and maybe you're a bit hung up on it. You have insinuated that since I didn't play Alan Wake until the end, I obviously wouldn't have enjoyed it and it can't ever be one of my favourite games. Well, duh. It's definitely not one of my favourite games, and it's definitely something I tell people to avoid unless they like average gameplay or Twin Peaks. And the reason why it could never be one of my favourite games has nothing to do with me seeing it to the end. It's everything about the game failing to satisfy me when I was playing it.

If it really makes you happy, Alan Wake had a "good story" for me to see it through the end by video. Not many games can do that.

You really took my post the wrong way.

I clearly said: "I can understand if a game is not your cup of tea and that you are still interested in checking out the story."

So I don't know what you are going on about now: Alan Wake apologist ? Uhhhhhhh... Alan Wake is a critically acclaimed game. Why would it need me ? More than critical acclaim I love it. It's the reason I made this thread. Is it strange for you to see Remedy fans in a thread about an upcoming game from Remedy ?

"If it really makes you happy" .... Again, you completely mistook what I wrote.

@jg4xchamp said:

A few things

Complaints are not all created equal, they do not have a universal death killing stance (unless it's a shit ending to a story, that is death killing bullshit, fucking all about the journey garbage). At least not all of them, yes certain games are monotonous, most games are monotonous, one of my personal favorites could be argued as repetitive: Demon's Souls. The thing is that games strengths more than carry it past its repetition. Max Payne's that shooting CLOWNS the shooting in Alan Wake, it's not even close. They get everything right with the mechanics in MP, from a better arsenal, to a more stylish set of combat encounters thanks to bullet time and the game NOT telegraphing where its enemies are, to little audio stuff it does well such as reloading, or the sound of clips hitting the ground, to all that jazz. In the case of Demon's Souls it's far more gratifying as a gameplay experience. Alan Wake in comparison to both lacks any punch and is shallow to boot.

The New Order does a hell of a lot more as a shooter than Alan Wake ever does, in the case of Wake they did a lot of "good enough" gameplay scenarios and banked on the plot and setting. Of which I think works if you've never seen Twin Peaks or having a raging boner for Twin Peaks, but otherwise, eh.

Again if the story interests you, but the gameplay doesn't, why the **** am I going to tolerate the playing it part given it's not a passive thing to do. IF the story is good enough (and in this fucking medium that's rare), and I can get 100% of the story by watching it, I'm gonna watch it. This wasn't a Shadow of the Colossus or even a Witcher scenario where the players involvement is required to make it all work. This was a cinematic action game with all the short comings of a cinematic action game no less.

Because at the end of the day Alan Wake simply doesn't use its interactivity enough to tell a story. Same can be said about Max Payne for that matter, I would argue the same for Telltale styled adventure games. Hell most adventure game, even good ones, you don't like the puzzles of some of them, you don't lose anything in translation by watching it. Journey, Ico, Planescape, and Silent Hill? You actually lose a lot by simply watching. Philosophical difference here or not, he's not out of line or even being absurd for not wanting to play more of the game, but sticking with the story.

As for Sam Lake being proud of Alan Wake, yeah that makes a lot of sense he's a writing writing about a writer, it's a project that took a lot of their time, more importantly it's irrelevant to which one the audience finds more enjoyable, or in my case the one I think is the better work.

Besides Liquid didn't finish the shit, he's the scumbag. Halo campaign loving, GTA 4 defending turd of middle earth. I just think the game is okay.

Twin Peaks is not god tier quality either. It starts really strong, at the end it loses a lot of steam though.

it's the same for Alan Wake imo. At the end of the game you have really seen everything (but you keep playing it for the story). And only the DLC spices the gameplay up.

Still, it never felt as a drag to me, like it felt to you guys.

"why the **** am I going to tolerate the playing it part given it's not a passive thing to do"

The playing it part is not part of what makes a game. Games ARE the playing it part.

And Sam Lake does other things at remedy besides writing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#102 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@razik said:

The game looks awesome but I don't want to watch a 40 minute TV show inbetween chapters, I hope you can skip it

You CAN skip it and after finishing the game, you can go back and re-watch videos.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Cloud_imperium

@R4gn4r0k:

By nature, all games are repetitive. I made a thread about it few days ago as well. Of course it never hurts to have more variety in enemy type and change things around a bit, but you are still doing the exact same thing, and that is shooting and killing enemies.

Now, I always love when a game has more variety in its mission design and other stuff but I think some people overreact too much when it comes to so called "lack of variety". Most of the time people just get bored that there is too much gameplay and not enough scripted events/set pieces to take control away from you, to give you the illusion of "variety" (Turret sections in COD... Guess what, you are still shooting).

Most gamers aren't patient, they want stuff to happen on screen ASAP. Alan Wake is one of those games where you spend most of your time, walking, exploring environments for items, and then fighting few baddies after every once in awhile. While the game is cinematic, post Chapter 2, there is a big gap between each cutscene and there are huge gameplay sections not interrupted by any scripted event.

Now Alan Wake wasn't a perfect game (no game is). Its gameplay was a bit flawed and driving sections didn't help much either but I always find it odd when people complain about "repetition", and say that it was the reason why they watched the game instead of playing it. I mean some of the best games in the industry were repetitive as hell. Look at Mario, you jump on enemies the entire game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#104 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Most interesting XBone exclusive definitely

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 R4gn4r0k

@Cloud_imperium: I think watching a game can make it look even more repetitive and monotonous than it actually is.

@Vatusus said:

Most interesting XBone exclusive definitely

Absolutely !

Most interesting Xbone exclusive with a TV series attached for sure !

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#106  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Besides Liquid didn't finish the shit, he's the scumbag. Halo campaign loving, GTA 4 defending turd of middle earth. I just think the game is okay.

I don't defend GTA 4 you plonker.

I just realised the irony of Niko Bellic's character within the first few hours of playing the game. I was there before Brian Williams mate.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#107 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

You really took my post the wrong way.

I clearly said: "I can understand if a game is not your cup of tea and that you are still interested in checking out the story."

So I don't know what you are going on about now: Alan Wake apologist ? Uhhhhhhh... Alan Wake is a critically acclaimed game. Why would it need me ? More than critical acclaim I love it. It's the reason I made this thread. Is it strange for you to see Remedy fans in a thread about an upcoming game from Remedy ?

"If it really makes you happy" .... Again, you completely mistook what I wrote.

I didn't mistake what you said. Your jimmies got rustled that someone could criticise Alan Wake.

I mean, you're still tripping over yourself. Just take it on the chin dude. Move on.

@Cloud_imperium said:

I mean some of the best games in the industry were repetitive as hell. Look at Mario, you jump on enemies the entire game.

Mario is the last series in the world that is monotonously repetitive. It's pedigree is built on platforming variety.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@FrozenLiquid said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I don't defend GTA 4 you plonker.

I just realised the irony of Niko Bellic's character within the first few hours of playing the game. I was there before Brian Williams mate.

I must be one of the few people who defends GTA 4 then :(

@FrozenLiquid said:

I didn't mistake what you said. Your jimmies got rustled that someone could criticise Alan Wake.

I mean, you're still tripping over yourself. Just take it on the chin dude. Move on.

Why do you make stuff up like this ?

Go ahead and go back to my original reply to you. It was on the topic of watching games, it was not on the topic of Alan Wake.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Cloud_imperium

@FrozenLiquid: I respect your opinion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#110  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A few things

Complaints are not all created equal, they do not have a universal death killing stance (unless it's a shit ending to a story, that is death killing bullshit, fucking all about the journey garbage). At least not all of them, yes certain games are monotonous, most games are monotonous, one of my personal favorites could be argued as repetitive: Demon's Souls. The thing is that games strengths more than carry it past its repetition. Max Payne's that shooting CLOWNS the shooting in Alan Wake, it's not even close. They get everything right with the mechanics in MP, from a better arsenal, to a more stylish set of combat encounters thanks to bullet time and the game NOT telegraphing where its enemies are, to little audio stuff it does well such as reloading, or the sound of clips hitting the ground, to all that jazz. In the case of Demon's Souls it's far more gratifying as a gameplay experience. Alan Wake in comparison to both lacks any punch and is shallow to boot.

The New Order does a hell of a lot more as a shooter than Alan Wake ever does, in the case of Wake they did a lot of "good enough" gameplay scenarios and banked on the plot and setting. Of which I think works if you've never seen Twin Peaks or having a raging boner for Twin Peaks, but otherwise, eh.

Again if the story interests you, but the gameplay doesn't, why the **** am I going to tolerate the playing it part given it's not a passive thing to do. IF the story is good enough (and in this fucking medium that's rare), and I can get 100% of the story by watching it, I'm gonna watch it. This wasn't a Shadow of the Colossus or even a Witcher scenario where the players involvement is required to make it all work. This was a cinematic action game with all the short comings of a cinematic action game no less.

Because at the end of the day Alan Wake simply doesn't use its interactivity enough to tell a story. Same can be said about Max Payne for that matter, I would argue the same for Telltale styled adventure games. Hell most adventure game, even good ones, you don't like the puzzles of some of them, you don't lose anything in translation by watching it. Journey, Ico, Planescape, and Silent Hill? You actually lose a lot by simply watching. Philosophical difference here or not, he's not out of line or even being absurd for not wanting to play more of the game, but sticking with the story.

As for Sam Lake being proud of Alan Wake, yeah that makes a lot of sense he's a writing writing about a writer, it's a project that took a lot of their time, more importantly it's irrelevant to which one the audience finds more enjoyable, or in my case the one I think is the better work.

Twin Peaks is not god tier quality either. It starts really strong, at the end it loses a lot of steam though.

it's the same for Alan Wake imo. At the end of the game you have really seen everything (but you keep playing it for the story). And only the DLC spices the gameplay up.

Still, it never felt as a drag to me, like it felt to you guys.

"why the **** am I going to tolerate the playing it part given it's not a passive thing to do"

The playing it part is not part of what makes a game. Games ARE the playing it part.

And Sam Lake does other things at remedy besides writing.

I didn't exactly disagree, Twin Peaks 2nd season mostly sucks until the end. It's better written, better acted, and a more creative work overall than Alan Wake ever is though. Anything Wake might do better is the advantage of hindsight. And again, if I do not like the gameplay, and it drags, but I want to know what happens in the story, how the **** do I gain anything by forcing myself to play this? That's just a waste of your time at that point. I'm not saying that's not a major failure of the game, because it fucking is if I don't want to play it (If the playing it part is the problem, it could be telling the same story as The Godfather, it's not a good video game). None of his reaction to it nor my reaction to it is from watching it, our displeasures were formed from the playing it part, came from the playing it part. A possessed bulldozer and a bunch of old dudes in a rock band weren't exactly overruling the rest of the game.

Also not the point, I'm saying Lake has more reason to be attached to Wake. Har dboiled cop whose family is murdered and homeboy has bullet time? You can't fucking relate to that, that's pulp. You can't derive anything from pulp. Not that Alan Wake isn't pulp, but the part where Lake is a writer and Alan Wake is a writer suffering through writer's block, is something I'm sure he easily relates to.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#111 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I must be one of the few people who defends GTA 4 then :(

Drinkerofjuice and greyseal defend that shit, and not even as just a story, as a video game as well. Scum of the earth the two of them.

@FrozenLiquid said:

Mario is the last series in the world that is monotonously repetitive. It's pedigree is built on platforming variety.

Right? Nintend's main IPs in general, the closest thing that would fit is maybe Metroid. But that game has far more going on in its gameplay because of the different environments, unlocks, and all that jazz. If they aren't varied in objectives, they have more on a mechanical level.