New Prince of Persia game using Rayman engine in development

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (58179 posts) -

A new 2D Prince of Persia is in development using Rayman Legends' UbiArt Framework engine, according to a report posted by French website Le Portail du Jeu Video.

The site claims to have been told that the game will use "the same techniques of animation [as used] in the last Rayman" and see the Prince's body "divided into several parts (torso, pelvis, leg, shin, foot, forearm, hands, etc..) that can be animated independently of each other.

"This provides a real diversity / credibility in the postures and movements of the hero...," the site says. "The quality of the work is to believe [it is] 3D modelling [with] transitions [that are] are fluid and feel well made."

Ubisoft has yet to announce a new title in the Prince of Persia series, but it has begun using its UbiArt engine for projects besides Rayman. This month's platform-RPG Child of Light also uses UbiArt Framework, for example.

Ubisoft told VideoGamer.com that it "does not comment on rumours or speculation" when contacted about the report earlier today.

SOURCE

Actually, this might just be the best thing to do with the franchise- whereas the 3D Prince of Persia games were awesome, all of them, the fluidity of the series is perhaps best captured in a 2D format. That, plus this might be the best way for Ubisoft to revitalize the brand without taking some huge financial risk on it. I'll be pretty interested in this, if true.

#2 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21779 posts) -

Fantastic news, the animation will be amazing. Hope its challanging too.

#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26886 posts) -

I, nintendoboy16, gradually admit that I was wrong on Prince of Persia being put on the backburner, ala Star Fox/F-Zero/Mega Man. And that I was wrong on calling them the French equal to Capcom

Now with that off my chest, being a fan of Prince of Persia, I'm eager to see how this works. Hopefully since this is being based of UbiArt, we see a Wii U version.

#4 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

I was hoping for a new gen PoP....I was hoping it would be 3D though like the amazing Sands of Time

#6 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

I wish they would just make a sequel to the cel shaded game. Maybe include some sort of penalty for death. This news just isn't that exciting.

#7 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

it will be atleast playable if it will not like pop 08 cartoony adventure where elika save everytime

eitherway im not into prince princess crappy storyline. but this series was sure better than any assassins creed not named AC4 black flag.

#8 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

This sounds so awesome.

#9 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17502 posts) -

Meh, that last game combined with the long ass wait has kind of killed the series for me.

If they were to do a 3D game in the vein of the PS2/X-Box trilogy I would be interested....

#10 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11416 posts) -

Body divided to several parts? Sounds weird for a PoP game...

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (58179 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Body divided to several parts? Sounds weird for a PoP game...

Each part of the Prince's body has always been animated independently, it was a pioneering technique, which is why the Prince always moved so realistically compared to, well, any other video game character.

#12 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

I'd buy it if it came to 3ds.

#13 Posted by benleslie5 (7876 posts) -

If it's a new Prince of Persia game just make sure it's not as easy as the 2008 version of Persia

#14 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26575 posts) -

Im still bumed they never finished POP 2008.I really enjoyed the two characters and would have liked a conclusion.

#15 Posted by Blabadon (26588 posts) -

@finalfantasy94: I liked the ending. It was nicely poignant.

The Epilogue DLC fucked that up and does not exist in my mind.

#17 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

Really haven't been into PoP since the 2nd game.

#18 Edited by finalstar2007 (25276 posts) -

If its not as difficult or as frustrating as rayman then will buy

#19 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

Hmm, happy to see a new Prince of Persia game, but I am a little dissapointed the Prince of Persia series is being relegated to the same fate as Rayman (ie 2D side scrollers). This seems to be the final nail in the coffin for any hope of another 3D, large-scale Prince of Persia, and I blame you fuckers. You couldn't enjoy Prince of Persia. You had to buy shitty fucking AssCreed games instead--with their horrendous controls, goofy plots, non-existent stealth even though you're a fucking assassin!, combined with some of the worst open world game design of this gen.

RIP Prince of Persia. You were truly one of the greats.

AC2 was great. I just wish Ubisoft would have stopped there.

#20 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Are you referring to POP2 or Warrior Within?

#21 Edited by Heil68 (45148 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Me either. We'll see how well this one turns out.

#22 Edited by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

Pass, I am too attached to 3d PoP games.

#23 Posted by NVIDIAking (34 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

Pass, I am too attached to 3d PoP games.

^^ this

#24 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2603 posts) -

Damn, I came thinking about a 3D PoP game. Way to ruin my party Ubi, you morons. Keep making your shitty press 'X' to win Ass Creed.

#25 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Are you referring to POP2 or Warrior Within?

Warrior Within and TTT were the only PoP games I actually liked (SoT was alright).

#26 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

@cfisher2833:

Aw, somebody's mad.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

They can do whatever they want with just just please add co-op with Farah or/and Kayleena. Its the responsible thing to do.

#28 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

Hmm, happy to see a new Prince of Persia game, but I am a little dissapointed the Prince of Persia series is being relegated to the same fate as Rayman (ie 2D side scrollers). This seems to be the final nail in the coffin for any hope of another 3D, large-scale Prince of Persia, and I blame you fuckers. You couldn't enjoy Prince of Persia. You had to buy shitty fucking AssCreed games instead--with their horrendous controls, goofy plots, non-existent stealth even though you're a fucking assassin!, combined with some of the worst open world game design of this gen.

im one of AC hater on SW. infact my hatred for AC is very extreme but sorry

AC4 black flag (the only good one) >>>>>>>> Any prince of persia. it was atleast badass compare to

both are crap series anyways. i played prince of persia sand of time that is arguably the best in series. and that one was avg at best.

again LOL at prince, princess storyline crap.

#29 Posted by XboxStache (914 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I wish they would just make a sequel to the cel shaded game. Maybe include some sort of penalty for death. This news just isn't that exciting.

This.

One of the best PoP's ever; except you couldn't die.

#30 Posted by cfisher2833 (1709 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@cfisher2833:

Aw, somebody's mad.

Wasn't originally, but every time I think of AssCreed it makes me upset.

#31 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16630 posts) -

It's just a rumor, but I want it to be true.

Every game on that engine just looks incredible. And the first PoP I played was in 2D, it was pretty terrible and the 3D ones were a lot better, but I'm sure they can capture the essence of PoP in 2D. Rayman was a great platformer.

#32 Edited by cfisher2833 (1709 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@cfisher2833 said:

im one of AC hater on SW. infact my hatred for AC is very extreme but sorry

AC4 black flag (the only good one) >>>>>>>> Any prince of persia. it was atleast badass compare to

both are crap series anyways. i played prince of persia sand of time that is arguably the best in series. and that one was avg at best.

again LOL at prince, princess storyline crap.

I personally enjoyed the Twin Thrones most, as it was the Prince of Persia with the best stealth elements of all of them. It really made the franchise formula more enjoyable when you could stealth kill people from behind--it reduced a lot of the combat, which has always been PoP's greatest weakness. A modern 3D Prince of Persia with stealth elements (including stealth kills) and Batman-like combat would be insanely good.

Oh, and Black Flag still suffers from having AssCreed's terrible control scheme, as well as having no dedicated crouch button. No matter how much they improve the formula, so long as they still have it so you simply hold down a button and move in a direction to do the platforming, the game will never be good. My problem with AssCreed is a fundamental issue: the game violates the tried and true Mario-press A-to-jump-method and the result of this is a sub-par platforming experience. People knocked Thief for not having a dedicated jump button, yet AssCreed (a supposed stealth and platforming game!) not only doesn't have a dedicated jump button, but it doesn't even have a crouch button! Fucking blasphemy.

#33 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

: the game violates the tried and true Mario-press A-to-jump-method and the result of this is a sub-par platforming experience.

agreed. platforming is terrible in AC is just one button. AC2 was one of the worst and most overrated game of last gen

AC4 i enjoy it for naval battle and Music. plus it has best story in AC game ever. not like super Ezio save the rome.

#34 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

People like to Rag on PoP 2008 for no dying. But this is a rather stupid argument. If you could die you'd have to wath the death animation then press "retry" at the game over screen then watch the load screen load the exact same place you were right before you died. PoP's lack of death is actually a good thing. It saves alot of time without actually making the game easier.

Death in video games is overated, even in Dark Souls, its just a waste of time. Actually Dark Souls is worse, it stops spawning baddies if you die enough times, which kinda defeats the purpose of playing the game.

Bioshock Infinite had the same problem, die enough times and the game will pitty you and let you win.

You know, alot of people think Death is Difficulty, it really isn't. How else can you explain puzzle games.

#35 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9051 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

If its not as difficult or as frustrating as rayman then will buy

If you thought that was too much, you really don't want to try out DK or Meat boy. The latter two put the new Rayman games to complete and utter shame on the difficulty side of things.

in any case, I'm super stoked for the new prince of persia now. Should be really cool. I hope it's at least as challenging as Rayman. I'd welcome a higher difficulty personally.

#36 Edited by starwolf474 (695 posts) -

I'm excited for this. I've always enjoyed 2D platformers more than 3D platformers.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

And heres another thing. People like to Rag on Assassin's Creed freerunning System, the whole "Hold down a button to jump anything"argument, well I got news for ya, 1st time a Played the 1st Assassin's Creed game, I didn't read the intructions properly, I actually did Let go the Sprint button and tap it again everytime I needed to jump, and It was not challenging or fun at all. It was a colossal nuisance.

Don't take my Word for it, Try it for yourself. See if that makes it a Better game.

#38 Posted by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -

Sounds great. As good as the 3d PoP games have (and haven't) been, I've never enjoyed them as much as the original 2d game.

#39 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -

Liked the 2d PoP, loved the 3d PoPs. Wasn't the news I expected, or really wanted, but I'll still play it when/if it launches.

#40 Posted by MirkoS77 (7588 posts) -

Good. Goooooooood.