NEW OFFICIAL Titanfall Thread -- Keep the awesomeness here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

Old thread is borked, new thread is new. Beta is out, lets talk about that, and you can complain, too, if you haven't played it and are looking to cause a stir. They're all gunna laugh at you, lol.

Anyways --

I'm seeing people struggling with their framerates. What CPU/GPU combos are you using? i7/680mx w/Win8 and I've got consistent frame tearing issues :P

My framerates often jump into triple digits.

#2 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27072 posts) -

Need to give the demo a go this week, seems that peeps are giving it the thumbs up.

Question for those in the know, how does the 360 version stack up vs the PC and XB1?

#3 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28299 posts) -

I wish there was a 360 beta....

Note: The game will receive 83-88 on metacritic it will receive mostly universal praise and users will rave, but a few poo poo websites will post hit generating reviews where they complain about it being like COD...etc

#4 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27072 posts) -

I wish there was a 360 beta....

Well that answers that ... :P

#5 Posted by lglz1337 (2796 posts) -

i remember yesterday when someone made a huge titanfall hype thread and got locked suddenly we get a cheap ass thread and get sticky status.. wtf happend gamespot ?

#7 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

Need to give the demo a go this week, seems that peeps are giving it the thumbs up.

Question for those in the know, how does the 360 version stack up vs the PC and XB1?

I'm struggling to imagine how it would be. Do we know anything about the framerate? With a game like this, a framerate locked at 30 would really be detrimental to the overall game. And a lower resolution (and especially FoV) would also really reduce the player's ability to assess the situation.

#8 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28299 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic: no one knows they've not shown a comparison, We'll likely see 30fps unlocked with possible 720p resolution but a decrease in texture resolutions as a whole and not as many AI allies or enemies.

#9 Posted by COVAtheNOVA (173 posts) -

Titanfall is going to be a beast game. Look for it to garner mid to high 9s and 10s across the board and be in multiple websites/gaming mags GOTY category. Yes the BETA is that good.

#10 Edited by I_can_haz (6359 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@sts106mat said:

only played the XB1 version, the graphics are not mind blowing , just ok. the framerate is steady and it looks a lot better in person on my TV than those screenshots suggest. even If it ships with the same graphics it wont put me off buying.

It looks better on your TV through the X! than a high end pc?

They removed that sharpening filter, so I'm not really sure how that can be the case.

The game looks a lot better via my X1 on my LED TV than those screenshots do...... Yes....

Lemme get this straight, you're saying your 792p Xbone version looks better than my Native 1200p PC screens with all the effects on max? Man, lems these days are crazy lol.

#11 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9953 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic: no one knows they've not shown a comparison, We'll likely see 30fps unlocked with possible 720p resolution but a decrease in texture resolutions as a whole and not as many AI allies or enemies.

I honestly expect it to be a similar situation to that of Ghost. All versions looked pretty identical with the "next gen" versions looking a littler sharper.

It's all about gameplay here, don't care much for the artstyle so eh don't care how the visuals look.

#12 Posted by lglz1337 (2796 posts) -
#13 Posted by COVAtheNOVA (173 posts) -
#14 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@blue_hazy_basic: no one knows they've not shown a comparison, We'll likely see 30fps unlocked with possible 720p resolution but a decrease in texture resolutions as a whole and not as many AI allies or enemies.

I honestly expect it to be a similar situation to that of Ghost. All versions looked pretty identical with the "next gen" versions looking a littler sharper.

It's all about gameplay here, don't care much for the artstyle so eh don't care how the visuals look.

It's way more than that. If your FoV is set to 75 and mine is set to 90, and your resolution is locked at 720p and mine is at 1440p, and your framerate is locked at 30 while mine flirts with triple digits, you're going to notice a really, really significant difference.

It's not JUST the visuals, it's all the stuff that comes with the horsepower overhead. It'll feel like a different game.

#15 Posted by COVAtheNOVA (173 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker: I have a feeling the 360 version is going to be gimped, but who knows. It will be using dedicated servers and what not, but the framerate and graphics will probably suffer some from being on a last gen console. The BETA for the X1 is running at 792p/60fps. They will probably get that up to 900p/60fps for the final version. The 360 version will probably run under 720p, but will still be 60fps.

#16 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3013 posts) -

So far the beta has been awesome. Didn't really care about the game before the Beta, but now it's a Day 1 midnight pickup for me. The beta definitely sold me on it

#17 Posted by Snugenz (11354 posts) -

I'm seeing people struggling with their framerates. What CPU/GPU combos are you using? i7/680mx w/Win8 and I've got consistent frame tearing issues :P

My framerates often jump into triple digits.

Just did a test with the Vsync options and with Vsync off (disabled) i'm still locked at 60fps but the game is much smoother, however there's an asston of tearing going on, with both double buffered and triple buffered vsync on, while fraps shows 60fps the game feels very sluggish and there's noticeable framedrops.

Got a i5 4670k and a GTX780, incase you have sigs disabled.

#18 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28299 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@sts106mat said:

only played the XB1 version, the graphics are not mind blowing , just ok. the framerate is steady and it looks a lot better in person on my TV than those screenshots suggest. even If it ships with the same graphics it wont put me off buying.

It looks better on your TV through the X! than a high end pc?

They removed that sharpening filter, so I'm not really sure how that can be the case.

The game looks a lot better via my X1 on my LED TV than those screenshots do...... Yes....

Lemme get this straight, you're saying your 792p Xbone version looks better than my Native 1200p PC screens with all the effects on max? Man, lems these days are crazy lol.

lol acting as If this was an xbox dOne exclusive you wouldn't claim it looked like shit and reminded you of an Snes game.

The game being on the PC is the only thing keeping you from being a complete ass hat and even then you get close quite often to saying that it looks like utter and horrible shit on the xbox dOne yet it looks amazing even on it.

#19 Posted by Pray_to_me (2707 posts) -

Damn those graphics are horrifying. Feels like I took a time machine back to 2003.

#20 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@musicalmac said:

I'm seeing people struggling with their framerates. What CPU/GPU combos are you using? i7/680mx w/Win8 and I've got consistent frame tearing issues :P

My framerates often jump into triple digits.

Just did a test with the Vsync options and with Vsync off (disabled) i'm still locked at 60fps but the game is much smoother, however there's an asston of tearing going on, with both double buffered and triple buffered vsync on, while fraps shows 60fps the game feels very sluggish and there's noticeable framedrops.

Got a i5 4670k and a GTX780, incase you have sigs disabled.

I'm getting the tearing, too, but my frames are higher than 60 when v-sync is off. Though the vsync messes with the fluidity of the game for me, too. I can get over the tearing without too much trouble, it's only really noticeable (rather I only really notice it) at the beginning of every round. By the time I'm shooting spectres or grunts, I've managed to tune it out kind of like how you don't think about the fact that you're breathing until someone mentions it.

lol..... so annoying...

#21 Edited by chaplainDMK (6641 posts) -

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

#22 Posted by Snugenz (11354 posts) -

Damn those graphics are horrifying. Feels like I took a time machine back to 2003.

Stop being so stupid, it isnt endearing or funny or even annoying, just stupid.

#23 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

Is that based on impressions of videos and reviews or is that based on personal play time? Genuine question, not being passive aggressive.

#24 Edited by chaplainDMK (6641 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@chaplainDMK said:

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

Is that based on impressions of videos and reviews or is that based on personal play time? Genuine question, not being passive aggressive.

What I saw, not really interested in the game lol.

I mean dont get me wrong, there are a bunch of great features, but otherwise what I've seen seems very repetitive. It feels like a Call of Duty meets Tribes lite meets Mechwarrior lite, emphasis on Call of Duty and lite on the other two.

All the videos made me want to do is play Tribes lol, at least that's not cocaine induced ezy mode FPS like Call of Duty.

I guess I'll see if I ever get myself to try it, though I doubt it for now since my laptop couldn't handle I'm selling my X360 so I cant be bothered to get gold for it.

#25 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38110 posts) -

I am a believer of Titanfall. The beta is really damn fun

#26 Edited by lostrib (30801 posts) -

My frame rate seems to be capped during gameplay at 60 (with v-sync off), but there is pretty bad screen tearing still. Also, I'm sad that the "insane" texture resolution setting requires 3GB VRAM

#27 Edited by cfisher2833 (1442 posts) -

Frame rate wise, I am doing quite well--pretty consistent 60fps with max settings (MSAA2x though--probably could do 4x, but haven't tried). There's occasions where the frame rate dips, but just for a few seconds. I was noticing a slight jitter whenever I turn really fast. It's not unbearable, but it's noticeable. The game is pretty, pretty, pretty damn good! It's probably the closest modern day shooters will come to replicating the movement of the old arena FPSs. The movement just really makes it soo much more than a CoD clone.

You gotta love it when you hear "standby for TItanfall." That shit gives me nerd goosebumps every time.

FX8320

7870Ghz Ed.

#28 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9953 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@blue_hazy_basic: no one knows they've not shown a comparison, We'll likely see 30fps unlocked with possible 720p resolution but a decrease in texture resolutions as a whole and not as many AI allies or enemies.

I honestly expect it to be a similar situation to that of Ghost. All versions looked pretty identical with the "next gen" versions looking a littler sharper.

It's all about gameplay here, don't care much for the artstyle so eh don't care how the visuals look.

It's way more than that. If your FoV is set to 75 and mine is set to 90, and your resolution is locked at 720p and mine is at 1440p, and your framerate is locked at 30 while mine flirts with triple digits, you're going to notice a really, really significant difference.

It's not JUST the visuals, it's all the stuff that comes with the horsepower overhead. It'll feel like a different game.

Not enough change to make me wanna dish out hundreds of dollars on building a system from scratch when I already have the system in hand that's gonna give me the same core experience.

#29 Posted by COVAtheNOVA (173 posts) -

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

Interesting. You haven't played it, yet you comment on it like you have hours and hours of BETA playtime. So when the great reviews for the game start coming out, whatever will you do?

#30 Edited by I_can_haz (6359 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@I_can_haz said:

@sts106mat said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@sts106mat said:

only played the XB1 version, the graphics are not mind blowing , just ok. the framerate is steady and it looks a lot better in person on my TV than those screenshots suggest. even If it ships with the same graphics it wont put me off buying.

It looks better on your TV through the X! than a high end pc?

They removed that sharpening filter, so I'm not really sure how that can be the case.

The game looks a lot better via my X1 on my LED TV than those screenshots do...... Yes....

Lemme get this straight, you're saying your 792p Xbone version looks better than my Native 1200p PC screens with all the effects on max? Man, lems these days are crazy lol.

lol acting as If this was an xbox dOne exclusive you wouldn't claim it looked like shit and reminded you of an Snes game.

The game being on the PC is the only thing keeping you from being a complete ass hat and even then you get close quite often to saying that it looks like utter and horrible shit on the xbox dOne yet it looks amazing even on it.

So these looks like amazing PC graphics in 2014 to you? You must have extremely low standards or you're an idiot lemming. I think I'm going with the latter. There's no way to sugarcoat it, the graphics are ass. You can hype the gameplay but do not for a second tell me that those look great for PC because they don't. Even with these screenshots being at 1200p and the textures set to "INSANE" it still looks like a 2003-2004 game. I don't even want to imagine what it looks like at 792p on Xbone 720p.

#31 Posted by speedfog (2808 posts) -

Downloading the beta now, pretty excited.

#32 Edited by chaplainDMK (6641 posts) -

@COVAtheNOVA said:
@chaplainDMK said:

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

Interesting. You haven't played it, yet you comment on it like you have hours and hours of BETA playtime. So when the great reviews for the game start coming out, whatever will you do?

Not give a single shit, I'm not betting my life on the game sucking. I'm just stating my opinion. My self-concept is developed enough that I'm not really bothered if a game I think is or looks bad gets good scores.

But I agree, I haven't played it so I can't judge 100%. I see the requirements aren't actually that bad, maybe I'll go try it if there's an open beta or demo and see.

#33 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@chaplainDMK said:

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

Is that based on impressions of videos and reviews or is that based on personal play time? Genuine question, not being passive aggressive.

What I saw, not really interested in the game lol.

I mean dont get me wrong, there are a bunch of great features, but otherwise what I've seen seems very repetitive. It feels like a Call of Duty meets Tribes lite meets Mechwarrior lite, emphasis on Call of Duty and lite on the other two.

All the videos made me want to do is play Tribes lol, at least that's not cocaine induced ezy mode FPS like Call of Duty.

I guess I'll see if I ever get myself to try it, though I doubt it for now since my laptop couldn't handle I'm selling my X360 so I cant be bothered to get gold for it.

I would be careful not to classify it before you have a go. It's surprisingly good. Looks can be deceiving.

#34 Edited by StormyJoe (4447 posts) -
#35 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

Not enough change to make me wanna dish out hundreds of dollars on building a system from scratch when I already have the system in hand that's gonna give me the same core experience.

The differences I mentioned earlier will make for a game that feels fundamentally different. I'm not suggesting you dish out any money to buy a PC that can play Titanfall, but it's not going to be the same game on your 360 that it is on a powerful computer.

I suppose I can't say that for sure, but to imagine 720p, 30fps, maybe as much as 75 FoV to feel like 1080p, 60+fps, 90 FoV is a difficult thing to do.

#36 Posted by chaplainDMK (6641 posts) -

@chaplainDMK said:

@musicalmac said:

@chaplainDMK said:

Seems like a really flat and generic game to be honest. A bunch of neat features that everyone will get tired off by the 3rd month.

Is that based on impressions of videos and reviews or is that based on personal play time? Genuine question, not being passive aggressive.

What I saw, not really interested in the game lol.

I mean dont get me wrong, there are a bunch of great features, but otherwise what I've seen seems very repetitive. It feels like a Call of Duty meets Tribes lite meets Mechwarrior lite, emphasis on Call of Duty and lite on the other two.

All the videos made me want to do is play Tribes lol, at least that's not cocaine induced ezy mode FPS like Call of Duty.

I guess I'll see if I ever get myself to try it, though I doubt it for now since my laptop couldn't handle I'm selling my X360 so I cant be bothered to get gold for it.

I would be careful not to classify it before you have a go. It's surprisingly good. Looks can be deceiving.

Eh I'll see when I try it. Any news on an open beta or demo for PC?

#37 Posted by shawn30 (4230 posts) -

Shhhh. He cares that we wont be playing in 1080p and that Titanfall doesnt look as good as Killzone. And not a fuck was given.

#38 Posted by I_can_haz (6359 posts) -

I collected all your tears. Mmmmm.....delicious.

How's 792p treating you lol?

#39 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

I would be careful not to classify it before you have a go. It's surprisingly good. Looks can be deceiving.

Eh I'll see when I try it. Any news on an open beta or demo for PC?

I thought it was open beta across all platforms, but I think it's just for Xbox One. If you request a PC code, you'll likely get one (if you still can). I think it's certainly worth your time. You may be surprised. I cannot promise that you'll like it as much as I or any of the other Titanfall Defense Squad (har har) like it, but you may find yourself... actually enjoying it.

It's the first game that I've pre-ordered since Halo 3, and it's the first (new) game I haven't acquired in a Humble (or another such) Bundle in long, long time. A long time, chaplain.

#40 Posted by Heil68 (42422 posts) -
#41 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@musicalmac:

You getting this game for PC? :o

Well I'm sure as heck not getting it for my 360 or my non-existent Xbox One. Why would I play at anything under 1440p? :P

#42 Posted by chaplainDMK (6641 posts) -

@chaplainDMK said:

@musicalmac said:

I would be careful not to classify it before you have a go. It's surprisingly good. Looks can be deceiving.

Eh I'll see when I try it. Any news on an open beta or demo for PC?

I thought it was open beta across all platforms, but I think it's just for Xbox One. If you request a PC code, you'll likely get one (if you still can). I think it's certainly worth your time. You may be surprised. I cannot promise that you'll like it as much as I or any of the other Titanfall Defense Squad (har har) like it, but you may find yourself... actually enjoying it.

It's the first game that I've pre-ordered since Halo 3, and it's the first (new) game I haven't acquired in a Humble (or another such) Bundle in long, long time. A long time, chaplain.

Nah, beta is closed for PC.

#43 Edited by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

I thought it was open beta across all platforms, but I think it's just for Xbox One. If you request a PC code, you'll likely get one (if you still can). I think it's certainly worth your time. You may be surprised. I cannot promise that you'll like it as much as I or any of the other Titanfall Defense Squad (har har) like it, but you may find yourself... actually enjoying it.

It's the first game that I've pre-ordered since Halo 3, and it's the first (new) game I haven't acquired in a Humble (or another such) Bundle in long, long time. A long time, chaplain.

Nah, beta is closed for PC.

Did you request a code?

#44 Posted by chaplainDMK (6641 posts) -

@chaplainDMK said:

@musicalmac said:

I thought it was open beta across all platforms, but I think it's just for Xbox One. If you request a PC code, you'll likely get one (if you still can). I think it's certainly worth your time. You may be surprised. I cannot promise that you'll like it as much as I or any of the other Titanfall Defense Squad (har har) like it, but you may find yourself... actually enjoying it.

It's the first game that I've pre-ordered since Halo 3, and it's the first (new) game I haven't acquired in a Humble (or another such) Bundle in long, long time. A long time, chaplain.

Nah, beta is closed for PC.

Did you request a code?

Thanks for your interest in the beta! We’ve reached the maximum number of sign-ups and can’t accept any more at this time. We’ll see you in March!

Seems closed lol

#45 Posted by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

Did you request a code?

Thanks for your interest in the beta! We’ve reached the maximum number of sign-ups and can’t accept any more at this time. We’ll see you in March!

Seems closed lol

That sucks. Now we'll never know if you would have liked it. :(

#46 Posted by StormyJoe (4447 posts) -

I collected all your tears. Mmmmm.....delicious.

How's 792p treating you lol?

Better than you not being able to play TItanFall on the PS4...

#47 Posted by mems_1224 (45618 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@chaplainDMK said:

@musicalmac said:

I thought it was open beta across all platforms, but I think it's just for Xbox One. If you request a PC code, you'll likely get one (if you still can). I think it's certainly worth your time. You may be surprised. I cannot promise that you'll like it as much as I or any of the other Titanfall Defense Squad (har har) like it, but you may find yourself... actually enjoying it.

It's the first game that I've pre-ordered since Halo 3, and it's the first (new) game I haven't acquired in a Humble (or another such) Bundle in long, long time. A long time, chaplain.

Nah, beta is closed for PC.

Did you request a code?

Thanks for your interest in the beta! We’ve reached the maximum number of sign-ups and can’t accept any more at this time. We’ll see you in March!

Seems closed lol

Yea, I think you had to register by the 15th to get in.

#48 Edited by Eisen_Howl (83 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@I_can_haz said:

@sts106mat said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@sts106mat said:

only played the XB1 version, the graphics are not mind blowing , just ok. the framerate is steady and it looks a lot better in person on my TV than those screenshots suggest. even If it ships with the same graphics it wont put me off buying.

It looks better on your TV through the X! than a high end pc?

They removed that sharpening filter, so I'm not really sure how that can be the case.

The game looks a lot better via my X1 on my LED TV than those screenshots do...... Yes....

Lemme get this straight, you're saying your 792p Xbone version looks better than my Native 1200p PC screens with all the effects on max? Man, lems these days are crazy lol.

lol acting as If this was an xbox dOne exclusive you wouldn't claim it looked like shit and reminded you of an Snes game.

The game being on the PC is the only thing keeping you from being a complete ass hat and even then you get close quite often to saying that it looks like utter and horrible shit on the xbox dOne yet it looks amazing even on it.

So these looks like amazing PC graphics in 2014 to you? You must have extremely low standards or you're an idiot lemming. I think I'm going with the latter. There's no way to sugarcoat it, the graphics are ass. You can hype the gameplay but do not for a second tell me that those look great for PC because they don't. Even with these screenshots being at 1200p and the textures set to "INSANE" it still looks like a 2003-2004 game. I don't even want to imagine what it looks like at 792p on Xbone 720p.

Playing the BETA and all, and seeing these still photos - one asks if this game can actually be considered...ya know, "next-gen."

You can remind me the gameplay is fun, smooth and impressive; and it is. But you're gonna have a hard time convincing me that this game is going to be a game where your mouth is gonna drop and go "wow, now THAT is Next Gen gaming."

Regardless, the games fun. It's easily addictive.

But one thing i've been worried a little, and i dont know if it should just be a minority feeling of worrisome, but....is anyone else worried about how the word "easily accessible" is being used by gaming journalist in any preview of this game or hands-on impression?

We keep moaning about gaming casuals and how its ruining the game industry and making games easier, but then....we praise this game. A game that allows you to feel super badass killing enemies...but they're just dumb downed AI bots with very little challenging aspects to them. Dont get me wrong, i go all woohoo and "fuck yeah" when i play the game and go for streaks - but its hard to not remember you're killing enemy AI bots, and not real players.

I feel like, as far as i can remember, that is the noobest and most casual thing any game could have by former gaming standards. But now its all "man, i love how this game is so accessible to even a guy like me who doesn't even like shooters. Its great for gaming!"

...but is it?

That's really the only conflicting thing thats been on my mind playing the game.

#49 Edited by musicalmac (22605 posts) -

Yea, I think you had to register by the 15th to get in.

That's really too bad. I think Titanfall is one of those games that's so surprisingly fun, that even people who don't think it looks any good will enjoy it more than they anticipate. I signed up only after hearing about the wall running and double jumping stuff (plus, I dig mech combat stuff so that helps). But it wasn't really on my radar at all, not even while I was sifting through Titanfall posts on SW.

But then I played it, and.... it's exceptional. It's the best beta I've ever been a part of, without any question.

#50 Edited by I_can_haz (6359 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@I_can_haz said:

I collected all your tears. Mmmmm.....delicious.

How's 792p treating you lol?

Better than you not being able to play TItanFall on the PS4...

How? I'm playing it on PC at higher res and better framerates than I would on PS4. You really are an idiot lol