New Nintendo 3DS Might Have Double the RAM and VRAM

• 85 results
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

So when Nintendo announced the new 3DS, they listed the following improvements for it:

• Better battery
  • Better 3D
  • In built NFC
  • Better ergonomics
  • Second analog stick added via the C stick
  • ZL and ZR buttons added
  • Improved, faster CPU

Of these, the last one was notable, because that's the reason there is software being made exclusively for the New 3DS, right?

Well, as it turns out, there might be more to the New 3DS than just the processor. Apparently, it is also doubling the system's RAM from 128MB to 256MB, and VRAM from 2MB to 4MB.

Based on disassembly of certain sysmodules for code added/changed with in the 8.0.0-18 update, it appears that the "New 3DS" has the following changes:

• They extended FCRAM from 128MB to 256MB.
  • They added another VRAM (?) of 4MB.

Going by the 8.0.0-18 update, which added support for the mem-regions listed above, it appears that the "New 3DS" will use the exact same system-titles as the original hardware(with a new system update at launch, for old/new hw, as both seem to use the same system-titles).

So what I am not understanding is, why not just make this the successor system? That's basically what this is.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

The stupidity. It's just not ending today. *headdesk five times*

#3 Posted by lostrib (35891 posts) -

So what I am not understanding is, why not just make this the successor system? That's basically what this is.

yeah, this is really starting to sound like a brand new device line, rather than just an addition to the 3DS family

#4 Edited by PikachuDude860 (654 posts) -

Maybe the next system isn't a "DS". It may not even be a handheld system at all. (Nintendo Fusion)

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

Maybe the next system is a "DS". It may not even be a handheld system at all. (Nintendo Fusion)

I'm not following you here.

#6 Posted by getyeryayasout (7366 posts) -

As if the Wii/WiiU branding didn't throw enough people off.

Having said that, what's being described sounds pretty amazing. That's one hell of a revision.

#7 Posted by PikachuDude860 (654 posts) -

@charizard1605: I heard that Nintendo's next console may be some sort of "fusion" of their handheld and home consoles. They want to have a "unified architecture" for their consoles...Or something like that. Link.

As for the other statment, the next console may not be a DS. It could be a single screen console. That's just me saying stuff though. Nothing to back that claim up.

#8 Edited by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

@charizard1605: I heard that Nintendo's next console may be some sort of "fusion" of their handheld and home consoles. They want to have a "unified architecture" for their consoles...Or something like that. Link.

As for the other statment, the next console may not be a DS. It could be a single screen console. That's just me saying stuff though. Nothing to back that claim up.

Ah. Well, yes, I agree with you on both of those counts.

#9 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22441 posts) -

I'm more curious about how they're going to go about making exclusive software for this. They've gone on record saying that most of their evergreen titles like mario kart and animal crossing are once per platform, so if this is still apart of the 3ds family we can rule those titles out

#10 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4337 posts) -

loltendo, this thing is going to flop and that 2nd analog stick just lol its the size of a pea and people try to tell me handhelds arnt for kids

#12 Edited by farrell2k (5860 posts) -

I am getting the feeling that the 3ds line of handhelds is here to stay for a while. It has no real competition, so why not? How else could they really top is anyway? Sounds awesome, and I will definitely buy one when it makes its way to the U.S. As for a successor system, this is likely it.

#13 Posted by REVOLUTIONfreak (18130 posts) -

If it has all of these supposed improvements, then why does Xenoblade look so damn cruddy?

What a waste.

#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17387 posts) -

To be honest with you Charizard, the 3DS was a let down. It wasn't really a true successor to the DS. This baby, however, will knock your socks off!

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

To be honest with you Charizard, the 3DS was a let down. It wasn't really a true successor to the DS. This baby, however, will knock your socks off!

You're excited for this one, then? :/

#16 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4761 posts) -

Why are you against improvements and power? Stop crying about it and get upgrading. It's a better machine in every way.

#17 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17387 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

yea, very much so, sorry lol

#18 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Lol, don't get me wrong, this is literally everything I ever wanted from the 3DS and I think I'm upgrading day one anyway, I'm just disappointed about the exclusive software bullshit. I mean, i know there is precedent, GB->GBC, and DS->DSi, but in those cases, both handhelds were nearly a decade old, the 3DS isn't even half that.

Although I guess in all fairness, the 3DS is also not half as awesome as either of those :/

#19 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Why are they calling it a 3DS if the newer games will not work on a 3DS... Nintendo are so confusing.

#20 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22441 posts) -

@charizard1605: give it some time and the 3ds will be up there when all is said and done

#21 Edited by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

Why are they calling it a 3DS if the newer games will not work on a 3DS... Nintendo are so confusing.

It's like Gameboy->Gameboy Color. But somehow more confusing.

@charizard1605: give it some time and the 3ds will be up there when all is said and done

Nope. 3DS+New 3DS maybe might be there. Maybe. But this is the final nail in the coffin that proves that 3DS alone will never be on par with the dizzying heights of DS or GBA.

#22 Edited by PikminWorld (109 posts) -

I hope that Nintendo will give a trade-in promotion. Like let us get the full value of our 3DS or 3DS XL that we spent and use that money towards the new one. Plus maybe a free digital game or... something. To be honest, I think people would've been way more fine with this had they not announced that games were coming exclusively to the, "new" 3DS. That's probably the biggest issue. I hope they change some decisions by the time it probably releases in 2015.

#23 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17387 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Lol, don't get me wrong, this is literally everything I ever wanted from the 3DS and I think I'm upgrading day one anyway, I'm just disappointed about the exclusive software bullshit. I mean, i know there is precedent, GB->GBC, and DS->DSi, but in those cases, both handhelds were nearly a decade old, the 3DS isn't even half that.

Although I guess in all fairness, the 3DS is also not half as awesome as either of those :/

yea, I hear ya, it's weird. It's weird because they still call it a 3DS. which confuses me, because I just want them to go all the way and make a real next gen handheld device. something for the core gamer, which unfortunately Vita tried to do but was a bit premature for its time. I think Nintendo has a real good shot at that. for me it would suck if all this was just for a few exclusive games. but yea, I get how you feel. I'm just ready to move on sorry lol

#24 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22441 posts) -

@charizard1605: the new 3ds is still being treated as apart of the 3ds family. Unless they start going all in with exclusives I'd say the 3ds still has some juice left in it

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

@charizard1605: the new 3ds is still being treated as apart of the 3ds family. Unless they start going all in with exclusives I'd say the 3ds still has some juice left in it

They will go all in with exclusives, they did it with Gameboy Color. A year or so from now, we will see a whole lot more New 3DS exclusives.

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

yea, I hear ya, it's weird. It's weird because they still call it a 3DS. which confuses me, because I just want them to go all the way and make a real next gen handheld device. something for the core gamer, which unfortunately Vita tried to do but was a bit premature for its time. I think Nintendo has a real good shot at that. for me it would suck if all this was just for a few exclusive games. but yea, I get how you feel. I'm just ready to move on sorry lol

Hopefully, you are right and the New 3DS can revive the handheld market which has, sadly, been in a slump with the 3DS and Vita.

#26 Posted by funsohng (27660 posts) -

So tell me again, why isn't this 3DS2?

Wii was next-gen with even less spec upgrades.

#27 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22441 posts) -

@charizard1605: well they'll eventually go all in but maybe not right away. I'd imagine they'll transition into it with a few exclusives and games that can work on both but have added features on the new 3ds

#28 Edited by glez13 (8766 posts) -

Why does Nintendo continue with their efforts to confuse people?

#29 Posted by santoron (7717 posts) -

There's only one logical conclusion I can think of. They have a new and very different handheld (ala the Fusion rumors perhaps) in the pipeline and intend to launch within the next couple of years, but felt they needed something compelling Now to reverse the rapid 3DS declines. And by compelling they decided to compel people who owned the system to buy another. ;P

#30 Posted by Heirren (16866 posts) -

I think this is the last redesign. I was hoping for something more compact. I bet the the exclusive games are download only, only visible on the "new" 3ds eshop.

Nintendo had to do it. What they're going to do is phase out the older models--people forget that nintendo lost that case regarding screen technology. This screen surely passes all "patents".

#31 Posted by charizard1605 (56966 posts) -

@santoron said:

@charizard1605 said:

There's only one logical conclusion I can think of. They have a new and very different handheld (ala the Fusion rumors perhaps) in the pipeline and intend to launch within the next couple of years, but felt they needed something compelling Now to reverse the rapid 3DS declines. And by compelling they decided to compel people who owned the system to buy another. ;P

I think you might be right. Specifically speaking, if Nintendo had branded this as an entirely new handheld, and a true successor, there would have been an even bigger shitstorm, since that would leave the 3DS with less than a four year long lifespan. Especially considering that the 3DS didn't even manage to break into the mass market, at least in the west, until last year, that would have essentially been burning their userbase with a 'you just bought our system? Fuck you, here's a new one.'

That said, the 3DS as it was couldn't possibly continue on in the market for another couple of years. Predicated on there being a true successor, but it being a couple of years away from release, they needed something to ride the next 2-3 years on the market out, but the 3DS hardware as it stood prior to this refresh was simply too dated to actually manage it. Hence, this mid generation upgrade. At least, that's how I read it.

#32 Posted by wolverine4262 (19244 posts) -

Dsi had 4 times the RAM of the DS... and holy shit yet another thread I didn't even see.

#33 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26436 posts) -

If they want to improve it so much why not just release a brand new handheld. This is going to confuse and alienate people all the same time nintendo.

#34 Edited by santoron (7717 posts) -

@charizard1605: Yup. Precisely my thinking. It's not a good option, but I can see them feeling pressure to do something with more punch than cosmetic upgrades to give it a shot.

#35 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11236 posts) -

People keep saying that they will completely divide the fan base and how they will push exclusive software for it. I just don't see it, this is still a 3DS and is definitely more than halfway through its life cycle. I'm sure there will be a few titles here and there exclusive but not much it will be like the N64 expansion pack, which didn't get a lot of support. There's no way they will release exclusive beefed up software for a branch of a platform with a n absurdly small amount of units compared to the main units. I do definitely see Nintendo making games compatible with both but with benefits on the newer platform.

#36 Posted by MirkoS77 (7338 posts) -

This is what I'm curious on as well. You know their next handheld is only a matter of a few years (at most) away. It seems like too much for what it is, and too little for what it's not. What's the point of this?

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (23542 posts) -

Probably because people will interpret that as Nintendo abandoning the 3DS. And this way they can pretend they're not.

#38 Posted by The_Deepblue (588 posts) -

Had this come two years from now, I'd be okay. Actually, if I hadn't re-bought a 3DS a few days ago (I sold mine earlier in the year for needed cash at the time), I'd be on board as well. The disappointment over this new system is mainly going to stem from the fact that many of us have barely gotten mileage out of our original 3DS systems. I mean, the 3DS has only been out for three years. I'm sucker enough to buy any Nintendo system, but it'll be a little while before I get this one (I think...).

#39 Posted by topgunmv (10209 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

It's like Gameboy->Gameboy Color. But somehow more confusing.

Seems more like gameboy color-> gameboy advance to me, if all this talk of spec upgrades and extra buttons are true.

#40 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16278 posts) -

I just bought a 3ds XL recently. I possibly won't be able to play future games on my system?

Screw Nintendo, this is some some stupid bullshit.

#41 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26493 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Why are you against improvements and power? Stop crying about it and get upgrading. It's a better machine in every way.

One word: ALIENATION. This announcement has done nothing, but that.

#42 Posted by mariokart64fan (19454 posts) -

aw the butthurt ---- you know what microsoft did the same thing as did sony when they announced their white ps4/xbox and bigger hdd models ---i just bought these last year and now they have 1 tb versions , come on , i dont see any one whining about that

oh and you gotta love how ppl complain when nintendo does it ,, , at least they are improving , it , unlike sonys vita 2.0 --- oledvs lcd you tell me , ,

#43 Edited by lamprey263 (23542 posts) -

What I'm curious to know is if this could actually hurt 3DS sales? I mean, regardless of how I feel as being slighted by Nintendo for coming out with a system that will support games that won't work on current 3DS hardware, the system does sound like a big improvement, and it has more people excited by it then it seems to be disappointing. So, with that being said, people seem to be responding to it rather favorably. However, then that makes me wonder something else. Are people willing to buy a 3DS LL, XL, or 2DS now knowing that the improve New 3DS is on the horizon?

I mean, why buy a 3DS now if you know the new one comes with all these awesome improvement, improved more flexible 3D, 2nd analog, more powerful CPU, Amiibo support, extended battery, ZL/ZR buttons, the works, all that good stuff... if people know this is coming then why'd they put down money on any of the available 3DS models. I mean, I try imagining myself in someone else's shoes, and they're like "yeah, there's games I want but I'm waiting for the New 3DS before I get one, because the new 3DS looks awesome". Do you think people will just hold out until that day? Do you think Nintendo's current 3DS sales could take a nosedive until that day?

#44 Edited by lamprey263 (23542 posts) -

@mariokart64fan said:

aw the butthurt ---- you know what microsoft did the same thing as did sony when they announced their white ps4/xbox and bigger hdd models ---i just bought these last year and now they have 1 tb versions , come on , i dont see any one whining about that

oh and you gotta love how ppl complain when nintendo does it ,, , at least they are improving , it , unlike sonys vita 2.0 --- oledvs lcd you tell me , ,

I don't think it's the enhancements that are the big deal, that's typical with any system, they're just basically updated SKUs but they all play the same games, but where I draw the line is when the new systems are capable of playing games that previous hardware isn't, and that's what's happening now between the 3DS LL, 3DS XL, and 2DS as games will be made for the New 3DS that aren't playable on the previous 3DS systems. That's never been the case for either the Xbox or Sony consoles to my knowledge.

#45 Edited by starjet905 (1903 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

@mariokart64fan said:

I don't think it's the enhancements that are the big deal, that's typical with any system, they're just basically updated SKUs but they all play the same games, but where I draw the line is when the new systems are capable of playing games that previous hardware isn't, and that's what's happening now between the 3DS LL, 3DS XL, and 2DS as games will be made for the New 3DS that aren't playable on the previous 3DS systems. That's never been the case for either the Xbox or Sony consoles to my knowledge.

This so much. Even when Sony released new PSP models with double the RAM, they still made sure that games will still remain compatible with the original. Why are the apologists ignoring the biggest difference here? This is nothing better than a slap in the face to early adopters, considering the 3DS is barely four years old.

#46 Edited by bunchanumbers (800 posts) -

@starjet905: 4 years is plenty of time to discard the word "early" in early adopters. Besides they have already been rewarded with the ambassador program for their early adoption.

I like that the new hardware is upgraded for better games and functions. All the consoles should have done this. The big weakness of the ps3 was their ram. Imagine if the ps3 had a reversion with 2 GB of RAM. It would still be extremely viable to this day.

Now imagine the Xbox One slim with a upgraded APU that improves gameplay and graphical power. 1080p will be a hurdle of the past.

#47 Edited by starjet905 (1903 posts) -

@bunchanumbers said:

@starjet905: 4 years is plenty of time to discard the word "early" in early adopters. Besides they have already been rewarded with the ambassador program for their early adoption.

I like that the new hardware is upgraded for better games and functions. All the consoles should have done this. The big weakness of the ps3 was their ram. Imagine if the ps3 had a reversion with 2 GB of RAM. It would still be extremely viable to this day.

Now imagine the Xbox One slim with a upgraded APU that improves gameplay and graphical power. 1080p will be a hurdle of the past.

I'm not talking about those who bought recently. I'm talking about actual early adopters, the ones who bought a 3DS when it was first released. Are they supposed to be ready to lose support after just four years? Is four years the lifetime of a console now? Having upgrades is all fine and dandy. But a majority of people aren't going to be ready to buy a console every four years. If it's a device that's going to have its own games, then it's not just an upgrade, but all but an entirely new console with backwards compatibility. A PS3 with 2 GB RAM or an Xbox One with an upgraded APU would pretty much be new consoles if they get their own exclusive games.

#48 Posted by _Matt_ (8908 posts) -

@bunchanumbers: no, if the ps3 got upgraded ram partway through the generation, it would be a confusing disaster, alienating both developers and previous buyers, just like this new 3ds will do.

Not only that but it would also delay a true generation jump and skew the hardware, would be worse for home consoles than handhelds.

#49 Posted by bunchanumbers (800 posts) -

@starjet905: I'm talking about the early adopters. They were already rewarded for buying a 3DS at launch. No one flipped out like this over the DSi or the upgraded RAM in the psp and the world kept spinning. Developers will decide if they are going to develop for the whole base or with upgraded hardware. I think this move will be good for Nintendo in the long run. The PS3 would be running so hard right now that people wouldn't even need a PS4.

#50 Posted by starjet905 (1903 posts) -

@starjet905: I'm talking about the early adopters. They were already rewarded for buying a 3DS at launch. No one flipped out like this over the DSi or the upgraded RAM in the psp and the world kept spinning. Developers will decide if they are going to develop for the whole base or with upgraded hardware. I think this move will be good for Nintendo in the long run. The PS3 would be running so hard right now that people wouldn't even need a PS4.

Once again, missing the point. When the DSi came out, it did not get high profile exclusives that would leave previous DS owners in the dark. At best, DSiWare titles. All major retail titles still continued to work on the older DS models. As for the PSP, there were no games released that didn't work on older models. Even the most recently released PSP titles (they still do come out every now and then, especially in Japan) continue to work on the oldest PSP-100X series. The new 3DS is NOT like this. That is the big difference. From the outset, we have a major release that old 3DS owners are going to miss out on unless they fork out cash for a new one.

Maybe you have a huge amount of money, so your mind is incapable of fathoming this, but most people don't buy a console just for 4 years. This is setting a very bad precedent. If this succeeds, then everyone better get used to buying a couple of new consoles every few years. First portables, and then home consoles will follow suit.

Oh, well, at least we'll be able to toss the "you have to upgrade your PC every year" argument into the trash from the console side after sometime.