*New* Nintendo 3DS / LL Announced

#1 Edited by Slashkice (13087 posts) -

New model announced via the latest Nintendo Direct.

• Dual-sticks
  • ZR/ZL buttons
  • Better 3D viewing
  • Longer battery life
  • Screen autodims
  • Supports Micro SD cards
  • Removable battery
  • Removable faceplates
  • Built-in Amiibo support
  • Improved CPU
  • Faster download times

I'll add pics as they come in.

#2 Edited by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -

That seems like the definitive edition.

Too late to switch over though.

#3 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8690 posts) -

I feel that this new model is a new concept for their new gaming console for next gen. I am starting to believe those Nintendo Fusion rumors.

#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

• Dual-sticks
  • ZR/ZL buttons
  • Better 3D viewing
  • Longer battery life
  • Screen autodims
  • Removable battery
  • Removable faceplates
  • Improved CPU
  • Faster download times

*shakes head* That won't alienate audiences...

#5 Edited by KBFloYd (13413 posts) -

definitely upgrading....

i just dont know which one to get. ill have to go to best buy and try them both out.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -

Is there gonna be a trade-in promotion?

#7 Posted by Technoweirdo (7137 posts) -

New model announced via the latest Nintendo Direct.

• Dual-sticks
  • ZR/ZL buttons
  • Better 3D viewing
  • Longer battery life
  • Screen autodims
  • Removable battery
  • Removable faceplates
  • Improved CPU
  • Faster download times

Really? Thought I was mishearing earlier. Not sure I like this.

#8 Posted by faizanhd (214 posts) -

Is that small knob above the face buttons the second stick ?

#9 Posted by onesiphorus (54 posts) -

I did not expect an announcement like this, but at least I see improvements in the new models that may compel me to buy one.

#10 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

Doubtful.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -
#12 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17343 posts) -

finally!!

#13 Posted by Slashkice (13087 posts) -

@faizanhd said:

Yep. It's the C-stick.

#14 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

@faizanhd said:

Yep. It's the C-stick.

*facepalm* How did they fuck that up?

#15 Posted by KBFloYd (13413 posts) -

@Slashkice said:

@faizanhd said:

Yep. It's the C-stick.

*facepalm* How did they fuck that up?

i think they did it to save space and keep it compact. theres no shooters on 3ds anyway.

#16 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4284 posts) -

According to kotaku, the portable version of Xenoblade is *exclusive* to this new 3DS.

Nintendo has just divided 3DS owners into haves and have-nots more than the DSi ever did.

#17 Posted by deltazero (68 posts) -

Might get it depending on the future of the 3DS library. Since apparently xenoblade for 3ds is only playable on this model, if other games follow suit I might buy later down the line

#18 Edited by LustForSoul (5859 posts) -

If you improve hardware like the CPU, it's not an original 3DS anymore. Games would flat out run better on that thing, this is too big of a re-design to be just another 3DS if you ask me. They're kind of taking a shit on the fans who will cough up another 200 dollars for it.

#19 Edited by KBFloYd (13413 posts) -

@SakusEnvoy said:

According to kotaku, the portable version of Xenoblade is *exclusive* to this new 3DS.

Nintendo has just divided 3DS owners into haves and have-nots more than the DSi ever did.

looks like that new cpu will make future games have better graphics. not possible on old 3ds. this is an obvious attack on the vita since its almost selling close to it now in japan.

#20 Posted by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -

That's bullshit.

#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4633 posts) -

i like it

#22 Posted by Heirren (16826 posts) -

If that is true then I'm surprised. I was thinking the "improved cpu" was thrown in to speed up the ui, and perhaps for some form of 3ds/wiiu communication thing down the road.

#23 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4284 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

@SakusEnvoy said:

looks like that new cpu will make future games have better graphics. this is an obvious attack on the vita since its almost selling close to it now.

Yep, plus this will provide an obvious boost to 3DS sales which are way down this year (even if it's still the top selling system).

But as savvy as it is from a business perspective, it's horrible for current 3DS owners. I still ask myself sometimes why on earth I buy Nintendo handhelds within the first 3 years of their existence.

#24 Posted by yokofox33 (29502 posts) -

I didn't even realize there was a Direct today...

#25 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

@SakusEnvoy said:

I thought the added stick, shoulder buttons, and CPU would do that. I have to wonder if it'll alienate whatever third parties they have left as well?

#26 Posted by Blabadon (26139 posts) -

Nintendo releases hardware that's finally reached 2012. Thank goodness.

#27 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

They should have just waited another 2 years and then made this their new handheld with Xenoblade at launch or something. This is sad but it shows that Nintendo knows their handheld market pull, people have been asking for this with the Wii U but Nintendo knows people would receive this much more poorly with their consoles.

#28 Edited by KBFloYd (13413 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@SakusEnvoy said:

That's bullshit.

with sales down on 3ds and wiiu not succeeding. the gloves are off. they are going to pull a sega.

#29 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

They should have just waited another 2 years and then made this their new handheld with Xenoblade at launch or something. This is sad but it shows that Nintendo knows their handheld market pull, people have been asking for this with the Wii U but Nintendo knows people would receive this much more poorly with their consoles.

The thing is, even updating the Wii U like that would also alienate their audiences.

#30 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4284 posts) -

Looks like the new 3DS XL is coming quickly, at least in Japan. October 11th, only 6 weeks away.

From what I can tell, it looks like the bundle it's being sold with is about on par with the cost of previous 3DS XL bundles in the past, so it'll probably stay at $199 when it makes its way over here.

#31 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (791 posts) -

Wow, they should have kept the start, home and select buttons in the same place, moved the YXBA buttons down a bit and had the 2nd analog on top like they have the WiiU. That little nub looks horrible and I thought the start, home and select buttons were very comfortable where they already were. Since I was planning on getting a 3DSXL next week, I guess I'll still be buying it and avoiding this one. Bummer.

PS: Is anyone getting black text in the reply box? I had to switch to the white theme of the forum layout in order to proof read my own post.

#32 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:

The thing is, even updating the Wii U like that would also alienate their audiences.

Exactly, Nintendo won't do that because they are on thin ice in the console space and won't risk it. They dominate the handheld market which is why they pulled this. Even if they lose some customers because of this they will be fine. It's the opposite with the Wii U. Nintendo is 6 million weak in the console space but 45 million strong in the handheld space.

#33 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3534 posts) -

So when I can get a 3DS, I can get the best one. Aw yeah.

#34 Posted by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

with sales down on 3ds and wiiu not succeeding. the gloves are off. they are going to pull a sega.

WiiU is next.

#35 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

Well folks, this is pretty much 3DSi/XLi we all been waiting for so this upgrade is no surprise and I don't plan on seeing anymore 3DS upgrades from this point on. Also I'm just hoping that Nintendo will bundle with Xenoblade+new 3DS I rather buy a bundle and I don't have a problem trading my original 3DS XL just for this anyway.

#36 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26482 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

WiiU is next.

It would be even more stupid if it was.

#37 Edited by Zassimick (6431 posts) -

Can't say I'm against updating hardware like this, but damn, allowing only some games to run on it stinks. Dunno how Xenoblade is going to be on it. Such a huge game, seems crazy to think it can fit on a 3DS cart despite an improved CPU. I wonder how much will be sacrficed; definitely will wait for reviews.

Still really need to play through all of that game though.

#38 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2955 posts) -

I'm in. But I'm not too sure about Xenoblade. It looks pretty rough and I can play the Wii version.

#39 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Doubtful.

I'm hoping for a Xenoblade+new 3DS/XL bundle at least.

#40 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3614 posts) -

How am I supposed to make fun of it, when it seems to be the definitive version???

Edit: And Xenoblade? Shit, I was'nt a huge fan but if done well, it'd be sick for a portable game. That's P4G grade stuff.

#41 Edited by foxhound_fox (88039 posts) -

I feel that this new model is a new concept for their new gaming console for next gen. I am starting to believe those Nintendo Fusion rumors.

This seems likely. The additions seem like they wouldn't fit the ergonomics of the 3DS that well. Especially that second stick.

#42 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

How am I supposed to make fun of it, when it seems to be the definitive version???

Edit: And Xenoblade? Shit, I was'nt a huge fan but if done well, it'd be sick for a portable game. That's P4G grade stuff.

Not really it's going to look and run worse. It is also a direct port from what we know so far.

#43 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7304 posts) -

• Improved CPU

Nintendo should have waited and announced a new damn handheld if they were going to put improved hardware inside and create a barrier preventing some software from being played on earlier models. I'm fine with redesigns, as they're totally optional and don't impose restrictions. Nothing else on that list bothers me. Just the CPU. If they made it more power efficient and avoided the possibility that some games may only run on that model, I would have no problem.

#44 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: To be fair, this is 3DSi so they had to come up with something but at this giving time, we probably won't hear a new Handheld for at least 2 more years from now and this current 3DS handheld is as good as it's going to get and if Nintendo announce a new Handheld, we can't expect to be like Vita with more power which cause the Vita to fail only because it was too expensive for it's own good. I'm happy to stay with 3DS for a t least 4 more years and I'm cool with Nintendo if they stay with 3DS for a long time now.

#45 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7304 posts) -

@EasyComeEasyGo: It's not the same as the DS and DSi. The DSi added new features and opened up an online store, but all hardware iterations could run the same cart software. This isn't the case for the 'new' 3DS line. I think LustForSoul put it best:

If you improve hardware like the CPU, it's not an original 3DS anymore.

#46 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25137 posts) -

XENOBLADE IS HEADING TO THE 3DS?l?????

#47 Posted by trugs26 (5384 posts) -

I like everything about it, except the whole Xenoblade being exclusive thing. It's one thing to speed up the OS and eShop downloads, but to have a game exclusive to one specific part of your platform can only spell bad things. This is a separation of the install base.

Aside from this, Xenoblade seems like an awesome handheld game.

#48 Posted by Slashkice (13087 posts) -

The *New* 3DS. It's not heading to the 3DS you have now.

#49 Posted by bulby_g (1090 posts) -

How annoying, just changed to an XL recently! Not that fussed about a second stick but I'll be pissed if there are loads of games I can't play without upgrading because of the new CPU. Not too fussed about Xenoblade, I'm not likely to play it again so soon.

#50 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25137 posts) -

@Slashkice said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The *New* 3DS. It's not heading to the 3DS you have now.

I see, Well I have no Problem with 3DSi here. I've had my 3DS since Launch, give me a release date for this one and I'll be there day one.

*Sees complaints* You all know the DSi had games that the regular DS could not access too right?