New headset for PS4 + system update 1.60!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Desmonic (13441 posts) -

Link

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/02/03/new-wireless-stereo-playstation-4-headset-revealed-ps4-system-update-1-60-detailed/

Story

The next system software update for PlayStation 4 (version 1.60) will be released tomorrow (4th February 2014), bringing compatibility support to PS4 for the PULSE Wireless Stereo Headset (including the GTA V limited edition version) and the original Wireless Stereo Headset.

This means that you will now be able to use these wireless headsets on your PS4 and can experience 7.1 virtual surround sound and voice chat while playing your PS4 games.

Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 for PS4

We’re also pleased to tell you about a new headset that is coming soon for PS4.

The Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 will be available from 10th February 2014 (market dependant) at £79.99/€89.99 SRP.

This new wireless headset for PS4 features stunning 7.1 virtual surround sound, as well as a crystal clear, noise-cancelling internal microphone for chatting to friends on Party, when playing online multiplayer.

The headset can be used at home using the USB wireless adaptor with your PS4, PS3, PC or Mac for up to 8 hours thanks to its rechargeable battery. You can also use the headset on the go with your PS Vita or with other mobile devices using the included 3.5mm stereo mini jack. With its foldable design the headset is ideal for travel and storage, so when you’re not using it, simply fold your headset up.

Headset Companion App

What’s more, you’ll be able to access custom sound modes to enhance your gameplay, music and movie experience on PS4 and PS3 through the Headset Companion App, available soon from PlayStation Store at no extra cost (also available through an update patch to the PULSE Manager app on PS3).

Make sure you look out for future releases of sound modes that are specifically tuned to enhance the audio in your favourite PS4 games. The first sound mode that will be coming soon to the app is being developed by Sucker Punch for their highly anticipated PS4 exclusive, inFAMOUS Second Son.

In addition, the app also offers a variety of preset audio modes for games, music and movies, as well as a tool to create your own custom EQ mode.

The Headset Companion App will be compatible with Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 and the PULSE Wireless Stereo Headsets on both PS4 and PS3.

PlayStation App Update – Version 1.6

An update released to the PlayStation App for iOS and Android devices last week, added ‘Live from PlayStation‘ support (among other features), allowing you to browse and launch videos of live gameplay on your phone or tablet via USTREAM or Twitch.

For additional information on PS4 system update v.1.60, including how to update your system, please click here when the update goes live.

----------------------------

The headset actually looks alright for once and at an okay-ish price (though still a bit on the expensive side IMO). Also small update to the OS and PS App (which people say it's quite good). Thoughts, System Warriors?

#2 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

OOOH!!!

Wait.. hang on, does this include support for the PS3 official bluetooth headset or not? It's confusing.

#3 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9515 posts) -

so will these one finally go down in price?

#4 Posted by Desmonic (13441 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

Wait.. hang on, does this include support for the PS3 official bluetooth headset or not? It's confusing.

Not sure myself either. They don't really specify.. well, tomorrow you should have a solid answer though. I'm sure someone, somewhere will try that out :P

#5 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

Not sure myself either. They don't really specify.. well, tomorrow you should have a solid answer though. I'm sure someone, somewhere will try that out :P

Ah fair cop, glad it's not just my reading comprehension...

Hopefully they will have that support, I have my official PS3 headset gathering dust, and I refuse to use the PS4 one, it's shockingly bad.

#6 Edited by PonchoTaco (1976 posts) -

Hmmmm. I'd personally rather have an ear piece, but those look pretty nice.

#7 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Is the patch going to fix any of the DLNA missing feature?

#8 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3887 posts) -

damn that headset looks good, i need to replace my shi^ty headsets so i might just buy this one

#9 Edited by silversix_ (14082 posts) -

eww looks so big n heavy, not into wearing half a ton sofa on my head

#10 Posted by Desmonic (13441 posts) -

Looks like plastic, therefore it should be fairly light. I'll bet it's actually to light and frail for it's size even.

#11 Posted by silversix_ (14082 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@silversix_ said:

Looks like plastic, therefore it should be fairly light. I'll bet it's actually to light and frail for it's size even.

Sony already released a similar headset for ps3 and one of my dumb friends bought it couple of years ago. Its heavy as shit. You wear this for over 2 hours and it feels like your head is falling apart and im not even mentioning how sweaty your ears will get, its ridiculous. Now this is a pair of headphones you can wear for 12h without even feeling them on your head.

#12 Posted by finalstar2007 (24964 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

Yep the official headset is now supported on PS4

#13 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

As in this one?

#14 Edited by Desmonic (13441 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@silversix_ said:

Sony already released a similar headset for ps3 and one of my dumb friends bought it couple of years ago. Its heavy as shit. You wear this for over 2 hours and it feels like your head is falling apart and im not even mentioning how sweaty your ears will get, its ridiculous. Now this is a pair of headphones you can wear for 12h without even feeling them on your head.

Yeah but Sennheiser is one of the best (least in terms of non-professional headsets) in the business :P Sony, not so much. Even the cheapest Sennheiser's are fairly good.

#15 Posted by finalstar2007 (24964 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

As in this one?

O the old headset then sadly im not sure i guess you'll have to wait and find out after the update is out.. thought you meant the PULSE wireless headsets.

#16 Edited by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

As in this one?

O the old headset then sadly im not sure i guess you'll have to wait and find out after the update is out.. thought you meant the PULSE wireless headsets.

ah :( .

Yeah I was meaning official bluetooth headset gen 1 (or gen 2 for that matter, I could easily buy one of those).

Really hope it will have the support for them, I don't like to have a full on headset over both ears, the above kind is perfect for me.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

Too expensive. I just use my wired MT50s when needed.

#18 Posted by finalstar2007 (24964 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

As in this one?

Yeah I was meaning official bluetooth headset gen 1 (or gen 2 for that matter, I could easily buy one of those).

Really hope it will have the support for them, I don't like to have a full on headset over both ears, the above kind is perfect for me.

I used to be exactly like you just being used to having a headset in one ear but man once you try one of the PULSE headsets or a good headset for btoh ears in general you'll never wanna go back again.. having a full on headset is seriously the best way to chat and play a game.

#19 Posted by _Matt_ (8868 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@_Matt_ said:

@finalstar2007 said:

@_Matt_ said:

OOOH!!!

As in this one?

I used to be exactly like you just being used to having a headset in one ear but man once you try one of the PULSE headsets or a good headset for btoh ears in general you'll never wanna go back again.. having a full on headset is seriously the best way to chat and play a game.

hmm, may give a try at some point, but I do like to be able to use my decent 'dildo' speakers that I have, reeeally good sound quality, and means if I have friends over we can all hear.

#20 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

Meh.

Way too big and it would be uncomfortable wearing my glasses.

#21 Edited by joel_c17 (2829 posts) -

Looks awesome - the pulse elite headsets seem to have really positive reviews. I am amused that so many people on here are whinging - im not surprised though, most of SW are just huge vaginas.

#22 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

I would like to sell my Pulse Elites and switch to this new headset, but I'll wait for reviews first. This is the firmware update I wanted the most.

#23 Posted by blackace (20289 posts) -

A bit to much for me. I wish Beats would make a universal headset that lets you play on all 3 nextgen consoles. At least I'd kow the quality was top notch.

#24 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@blackace said:

A bit to much for me. I wish Beats would make a universal headset that lets you play on all 3 nextgen consoles. At least I'd kow the quality was top notch.

Beats by Dre...that's overpriced trash.

#25 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

I typically avoid headphones, but a solid mic chat is great. The later PS3 bluetooth hurts the fuck out of your ear.

#26 Edited by jukev2424 (244 posts) -
#27 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@joel_c17:

Sonys headsets only get good user reviews by people who know little to nothing about audio. They sound better then their iBuds so now they think they are great. Meanwhile pretty much all gaming headsets are overpriced gimmicks, sold to people who don't know any better.

#28 Posted by jukev2424 (244 posts) -
#29 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@jukev2424:

I have a few good pairs but my main ones are the AKG Q701's paired with the Astro Mixamp Pro and FiiO E9 desktop amp.

You don't even need all that though and a $40 pair of Superlux HD668b's paired with the Astro Mixamp will still blow away any console gaming headset on the market.

For chat you have a few options. $3 clip on mic from Deal Extreme, $7 to $10 Zalman ZM-Mic1 from Amazon or $30 Antlion modmic boom mic.

There are so many better options to choose from in many different price ranges. You should be using monitoring headphones. Gaming headsets are more of a cash grab marketed to people who don't know any better.

#30 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4041 posts) -

Damn that's an ugly looking pair of headphones.

#31 Posted by gago-gago (9354 posts) -

Wow what is Sony thinking. First they bundle the PS4 with a useless ear bud and now release this helmet headset!? Maybe third time will be a charm and they will get it right. Did this patch make it so that you can use bluetooth headset like the pretty official pS3 headset?

#32 Posted by ankor77 (941 posts) -

I can vouch for fhe pulse elite being awesome and worth every penny. They sit so comfortably on my head which is quite large. Its one of the reasons i prefered ps3 over my xb360 later in gen. Fant wait to use it on my ps4, tho i need something new to play on it!

#33 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@ankor77:

Can't really say I agree. Try one of the recommendations like I talked about above and you will hate the Pulse Elites.

#34 Edited by ankor77 (941 posts) -

cant get my pulse headset to work even after the update. It recognizes the headphones, but no sound

#35 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

They look multi functional. You could drop one of the ears muffs if you have hemorrhoids and use it as a seat cushion.

#36 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@crashnburn281:

Not sure that cheap pleather would feel very good on your ass.

#37 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (952 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

They seems kinda overpowered for COD and Killzone. :D :)

#38 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9515 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

They seems kinda overpowered for COD and Killzone. :D :)

I dont understand what you at trying to say, but im sure its some type of trolling since that is all you do (your hate for Playstation is disturbing).

#39 Posted by donalbane (16203 posts) -

I happily muted my Playstation Camera mic last night, but I think I'll stick with my Astro A50s headset-wise.

#40 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow:

Not sure what he is trying to say either but either way, that headset line sucks ass.