New Gears have to make one thing relevant to be successful

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

THE FREAKING CHAINSAW! Yesterday I was writing a blog entry about 10th anniversary of 360 and I was listing some noteworthy exclusives. Then I started listing all the good things about Gears of War and at some point I felt something's missing. A second later, I had an epiphany and remembered there was the chainsaw.

It was arguably the best implementation of this weapon since Doom 2.

Gears 4 has to take it to the new level and be completely unrestrained about it.

I'd like it to.become even more relevant than before and unique to this series in the way it's tied to core gameplay mechanics.

What do you think?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I still remember Resident Evil 4 Chainsaws and I even bought two RE4 Collector Edition Chainsaw controllers for my Gamecube and PS2.

I also enjoyed a 1.5ish years later when GeoW1 released in 2006 also having Chainsaws.

Good luck to the brand new developer running the GeoW franchise. Hopefully they can deliver a product GeoW fans expect on their first outing. 343 is still trying, so it may take The Coalition a few tries as well.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@SolidTy said:

I still remember Resident Evil 4 Chainsaws and I even bought two RE4 Collector Edition Chainsaw controllers for my Gamecube and PS2.

Maybe i was too stupid back then, but i hated playing with that controller on the PS2.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4  Edited By dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@SolidTy said:

Maybe i was too stupid back then, but i hated playing with that controller on the PS2.

That's because that controller is an abomination to humanity, even if it is the single coolest controller to ever grace this planet.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@dragonfly110 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@SolidTy said:

That's because that controller is an abomination to humanity, even if it is the single coolest controller to ever grace this planet.

This is exactly correct, haha!!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I don't know what else they can do with the chainsaw without breaking the whole point if the weapon.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46194 Posts

Was playing Gears 2 on Xbone BC, and I was thinking the same thing.

If Gears did one thing, it was have an amazing melee attack. It gave the whole series a face. More than the cover system it is remembered for that.

Perhaps they can make the melee combat have more depth, like you could choose the way you cut with your chainsaw. But then again, if it would be overdone, it could become boring too...

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Salt_The_Fries

@R4gn4r0k: Maybe they could implement some finishers with chainsaw as one weapon and some side arm as the other. What's more maybe they could introduce some new smallish enemies that would be leaping on you and your chainsaw would be the best countermeasure. Maybe certain bigger enemies could require a team takedown with some people chainsawing certain parts of their bodies and other people having to shoot elsewhere.

The possibilities are there, they just need to avoid repetition like you said.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy: One thing I didn't like about RE4 was how lackluster the violence was. If you hit somebody with a shotgun from a point blank range, you'd expect the blissful sound of torn flesh/tissue to be heard as well as better graphical representation of such damage instead of one predefined blood splash and not individual parts of the body being massacred.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#10 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

If they have to make one thing relevant to be successful it better not be the chainsaw. That shit is so minor. Have you even ever played Gears?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The chainsaw is nice, and the cover system is obviously really well executed with all the different enemy types they came up with for the cover system in mind. But to me the unsung hero of that entire gameplay is active reload. Take that out of the equation and you take a lot way from the mp and the core gameplay loop of that series.

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

I'm just worried about the quality and content of the game they really have not had much time to make Gears 4, I think it might not make next holiday

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Eh Gears succeeded because it was fresh, and that was due to its dudebro presentation on the 360 that knocked the socks off everyone. Yeah chainsawing people in 2006 was the bee knees.

But i's not fresh anymore. It was a one trick pony.

Aljosa may like Gears more, but he knows Halo is the better Microsoft game.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Salt_The_Fries

@jg4xchamp: Yep, active reload - so good. I hope they'll enhance the gameplay somehow so that your character gets more momentum if he times and links up his evasion maneuvers perfectly.

Avatar image for cinematicgalore
CinematicGalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 CinematicGalore
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

lol, the gun that made Gears was the Gnasher. The Lancer was just a poster-boy.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Couldn't agree more, Gears was big on melee attacks.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

They needed to not play it safe and really go over the top with Gears 4, hope that's the case even though the limited game-play shown at E3 looked like playing it very, very safe, we shall see.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Salt_The_Fries

@FrozenLiquid: But now Ash Williams aka El Jefe has just reinvented the chainsaw again so they need to top that!

dz8t2t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dz8t2t
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts

Chainsaw Armor.