New details about Far Cry 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Link

Far Cry 4 Creative Director Alex Hutchinson gave quite a lot of new information on the game, and on what he would have liked to put in it but wasn’t to be, during a podcast on Game Informer, aptly summarized by NeoGAF user sjay1994.

• The map size is relatively the same square footage of Far Cry 3‘s rook island, however due to the mountainous regions, the map is far more dense than that of FC3.
  • The team behind Far Cry views the games as more of a series than a franchise, as it doesn’t need to worry about narrative baggage. This factors in to what Dean Evans and his team are doing. It might not be Blood Dragon 2, but rather something unexpected
  • When asked about temperature, Hutchinson said he would love to make an extreme Far Cry game akin to what the modding community might come up with. His ideas were you get hypothermia when in cold water, you contract diseases when certain animals bite you, permadeath, etc. However, the main game doesn’t have anything to do with these hardcore options, the team might consider making a mode for it if there is interest.
  • No sharks in FC4, but there are demon fish and honey badgers.
  • Thin air is a factor in some mountainous areas. You need to have oxygen in these areas, and you do not have much of it.
  • There is an avalanche setpiece in the game, but players can not trigger them freely.
  • When a player buys the PS4/PS3 version of FC4, they will get around 10 tickets called “Keys to Kyrat”,that you can give to friends. They will be able to download a limited version of FC4 that has all the co op content and everything but the single player content. They will only be able to play the limited version if you are playing the main version of FC4. Hutchinson is not sure, but Sony might implement a time box.
  • There’s no split-screen co-op.
  • There is a competitive multiplayer mode in FC4. No details were given. The team views FC3′s multiplayer as unsuccessful, but are using lessons they learned to hopefully build a fanbase with FC4‘s mp.
  • You will unlock the wingsuit pretty early into the game.
  • In some of the games cinematics, players can interrupt them with actions, however they player will not have a prompt to do so. These will be hidden. This was made to address Far Cry 3‘s quick time event-driven boss fights. Also, it sounds like there are no QTE’s in FC4.
  • You can throw grenades through enemy car windows while you are driving, and drive away.
  • Fire still spreads in Far Cry 4 like in previous games of the series.
  • Hutchinson had lots of ideas to use dung as a weapon, like using it to coat arrows to make poison, but the team denied the possibility.
  • You can turn off the HUD, and each element of the UI, like XP feedback, etc. It’s designed with the next gen consoles sharing features in mind.
  • There are multiple endings, but they are less clear than in Far Cry 3, so there’s no press LT for good ending, RT for bad ending.
  • You can pick sides with the different factions. This will effect relationships with different characters and can effect the endings.
  • You can reset outposts, but the team is giving a narrative reason for it.

The hint to a possible successor to Blood Dragon definitely has me excited, considering how much I enjoyed it. Hopefully this one will be just as wacky. Probably the best part of it all is the lack of quick time events. They seriously spoiled boss fights in Far Cry 3 for me.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

I hope there will be less or skipabble cutscenes in this game. FC3 cutscenes were painfully long. but tbh game sound much more interesting than FC3.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

All sounds great.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Ride

@system-reboot said:

I hope there will be less or skipabble cutscenes in this game. FC3 cutscenes were painfully long. but tbh game sound much more interesting than FC3.

Contrary to a lot of others, i liked the story in FC3. Some of the characters were meh, but it was alright

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Ubisoft are being incredibly stupid ignoring the modding community. Skyrim and Dayz are obviose examples of Publishers directly profiting from it. At least I suppose (like Bethesda) they are learning to ripoff the mod communities idea's.

I wonder, with all this focus on multiplayer COOP and Ubisoft, being Ubisoft, can we expect micro-transactions?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@uninspiredcup said:

Ubisoft are being incredibly stupid ignoring the modding community. Skyrim and Dayz are obviose examples of Publishers directly profiting from it. At least I suppose (like Bethesda) they are learning to ripoff the mod communities idea's.

I wonder, with all this focus on multiplayer COOP and Ubisoft, being Ubisoft, can we expect micro-transactions?

meh, i don't think so. Don't care about moding anyways tbh

CDWJUSTIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 CDWJUSTIN
Member since 2003 • 2078 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

Far Cry 4 Creative Director Alex Hutchinson gave quite a lot of new information on the game, and on what he would have liked to put in it but wasn’t to be, during a podcast on Game Informer, aptly summarized by NeoGAF user sjay1994.

• The map size is relatively the same square footage of Far Cry 3‘s rook island, however due to the mountainous regions, the map is far more dense than that of FC3.
  • The team behind Far Cry views the games as more of a series than a franchise, as it doesn’t need to worry about narrative baggage. This factors in to what Dean Evans and his team are doing. It might not be Blood Dragon 2, but rather something unexpected
  • When asked about temperature, Hutchinson said he would love to make an extreme Far Cry game akin to what the modding community might come up with. His ideas were you get hypothermia when in cold water, you contract diseases when certain animals bite you, permadeath, etc. However, the main game doesn’t have anything to do with these hardcore options, the team might consider making a mode for it if there is interest.
  • No sharks in FC4, but there are demon fish and honey badgers.
  • Thin air is a factor in some mountainous areas. You need to have oxygen in these areas, and you do not have much of it.
  • There is an avalanche setpiece in the game, but players can not trigger them freely.
  • When a player buys the PS4/PS3 version of FC4, they will get around 10 tickets called “Keys to Kyrat”,that you can give to friends. They will be able to download a limited version of FC4 that has all the co op content and everything but the single player content. They will only be able to play the limited version if you are playing the main version of FC4. Hutchinson is not sure, but Sony might implement a time box.
  • There’s no split-screen co-op.
  • There is a competitive multiplayer mode in FC4. No details were given. The team views FC3′s multiplayer as unsuccessful, but are using lessons they learned to hopefully build a fanbase with FC4‘s mp.
  • You will unlock the wingsuit pretty early into the game.
  • In some of the games cinematics, players can interrupt them with actions, however they player will not have a prompt to do so. These will be hidden. This was made to address Far Cry 3‘s quick time event-driven boss fights. Also, it sounds like there are no QTE’s in FC4.
  • You can throw grenades through enemy car windows while you are driving, and drive away.
  • Fire still spreads in Far Cry 4 like in previous games of the series.
  • Hutchinson had lots of ideas to use dung as a weapon, like using it to coat arrows to make poison, but the team denied the possibility.
  • You can turn off the HUD, and each element of the UI, like XP feedback, etc. It’s designed with the next gen consoles sharing features in mind.
  • There are multiple endings, but they are less clear than in Far Cry 3, so there’s no press LT for good ending, RT for bad ending.
  • You can pick sides with the different factions. This will effect relationships with different characters and can effect the endings.
  • You can reset outposts, but the team is giving a narrative reason for it.

The hint to a possible successor to Blood Dragon definitely has me excited, considering how much I enjoyed it. Hopefully this one will be just as wacky. Probably the best part of it all is the lack of quick time events. They seriously spoiled boss fights in Far Cry 3 for me.

*good the size was perfect in FC3 i dont need a bigger map just for the sake of size.

*Thats fine less of a convoluted assassins creed ess story then

*Not sure if a hardcore mode would for me and i certainly don't like the thought of a hardcore mode required to plat a game

*One word Honeybagger

*hmm... a sex scene up there would be interesting

*can we snowboard down it shooting guns taking selfies? if so all is forgiven

*good then i wont feel like a loser having no one to play with

*i like this it gives me hope they can make a solid MP

*great for getting around god we don't have to wait long

*sucks id rather have quick time personally i never had an issue with it i think people were just nit picking bitches!

*i always wanted t be a virtual unabomber

*better be pot fields

*nice that nature rugged feel

*basically i see this as if you want t see all the endings you must watch or read a guide as to how to see them annoying

*hope your choices have some real weight

*i like this option farm xp have fun great to get from day one

there you didnt ask for ityou didnt wan it but thats what i think #dealwithit sucka

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11234 Posts

Didn't Far Cry 3 only just come out?

Far Cry 1 - 2004

Far Cry 2 - 2008

Far Cry 3 - 2013

Didn't expect another Far Cry game for 4-5 years :o

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Sounds awesome, really looking forward to this game! Seems like they have understood what was good about 3 and tried to push those things more!

@Mozelleple112 said:

Far Cry 1 - 2004

Far Cry 2 - 2008

Far Cry 3 - 2013

FarCry 3 was 2012, but still the Ubi factory is speeding up :)!

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#10  Edited By SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@uninspiredcup said:

meh, i don't think so. Don't care about moding anyways tbh

Have you played FC3 with Ziggy's Mod ? Totally different experience,it makes you work for those upgrades. Also recoil mod,immersive sounds,better draw distance,better lighting etc.Check the nexus page.

I do care for modding.Everything that has been casualized gameplay vise can be fixed and new enhancements are very welcomed.

I really don't know what's wrong with making the game better and adding to the replayability.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Good to hear the wingsuit unlocks early.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

"the team might consider making a mode for it if there is interest."

Uh huh, because that's just something you'd just tack on, right? I can't see that ending well.

"Hutchinson had lots of ideas to use dung as a weapon, like using it to coat arrows to make poison, but the team denied the possibility."

Questionable decision if true.

First thing's first, they need to test the game thoroughly. Far Cry 3 was brimming with bugs and not the kind you'd find in a tropical setting. Moreover, the broken economy of Far Cry 3 made loot virtually pointless in a short space of time and to compound that problem they had those silly towers which miraculously unlocked weapons for free. I'm not especially ecstatic that the creative director was shackled in his decisions, particularly in regards to weapon types. Far Cry 3 had a limited set of weapons and the upgrade options were throwaway for the most part. Obviously, more wildlife is a given and it would be nice to see more friendly locals going about their daily chores this time round instead of just a small tribe who can't get past the invisible walls of their village. I don't think the visuals are impressive and worthy of a next-gen title and I really don't like the Dunia engine. I don't think anyone likes the Dunia engine, professional or non-professional. I think Ubisoft overpaid and are trying to get their money back, to be honest, at our expense.

The treasure in Far Cry 3 was essentially a substitute for currency, but I'd like to see other ways of earning money such as hunting or taking bounties.

There are a lot of great ideas on these pages ->

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/775730-Far-Cry-4-Ideas-and-Improvements?s=d810aa94ecaf61b2c7e7f379b0350f6b

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/781775-Far-Cry-4-Wishlist-Forums

...so have a look if you're interested.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Star0 said:

The treasure in Far Cry 3 was essentially a substitute for currency, but I'd like to see other ways of earning money such as hunting or taking bounties.

Uh. In Far Cry 3, you also earn money by hunting and taking bounties. The mutts are $13 apiece up to a tiger skin for $44 (I think). Same thing for the various plants ($5 for most, $13 for the white flowers). Then there are side missions where you kill animals, pirates, and mercs for a cash reward.

I take a heavy toll of the wildlife in Far Cry 3, including the crocs, sharks and vultures. The crocodiles, especially, I kill them on sight.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

Far Cry 1 - 2004

Far Cry 2 - 2008

Far Cry 3 - 2013

Far Cry 3 is relatively new. It is a 2012 game. I remember finishing the game on Dec 26, 2012.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

1962 - 2006

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

Definitely looking forward to this more now.

And the "boss fights" in FC3 were just laughable. Not only were they completely out of place in the narrative (what's with the drug trips?) but were absolutely terrible.

Factions alone might make this replayable. I still need to finish Blood Dragon.

Which reminds me, someone needs to make a Judge Dredd game with that kind of atmosphere. And GI Joe.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I didnt like FC3 all that much, it was OK. The PS3 version had some bad frame rate (atleast to me) and that was giving me a headache.

FC3 had potential. FC4 looks good, and being on PS4 would mean better performance. So I will have to wait till I buy a PS4 and skip out on the PS3 version. I really like the co-op sharing thing. Dont care for the competitive multiplayer tho, FC3's multiplayer was awful (and again, awful frame rate too).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox

@Nengo_Flow said:

I didnt like FC3 all that much, it was OK. The PS3 version had some bad frame rate (atleast to me) and that was giving me a headache.

FC3 had potential. FC4 looks good, and being on PS4 would mean better performance. So I will have to wait till I buy a PS4 and skip out on the PS3 version. I really like the co-op sharing thing. Dont care for the competitive multiplayer tho, FC3's multiplayer was awful (and again, awful frame rate too).

This is one franchise that shouldn't be played on a console. Seriously.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No dung weapons? Pre-order cancelled.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Nah, Console is just fine, and it will be better optimized than PC :D

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigboi500

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry 3 on PS3. Didn't encounter any major bugs or performance issues.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

The other FC games, including FC3, ran and looked like shit compared to the PC version.

I expect FC4 to be best on PC again.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Yes no sharks!!!

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I really hope Ubisoft take notes from exploration in Bethesda's open world games, instead of having every damn item marked in the map! In Ubisoft games you do the same over and over. Climb a tower or antena to activate every point of interest and item, clear the area, and move to the next one :?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Nah.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I guess I'm excited for this.

I think it would've been a much better idea for this not to be a cross-gen game (I know, I know, userbase blah blah blah).

CDWJUSTIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CDWJUSTIN
Member since 2003 • 2078 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

i respectfully disagree

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox

@CDWJUSTIN said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

i respectfully disagree

That's fine. Doesn't make me wrong.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bigboi500

@foxhound_fox said:

@CDWJUSTIN said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

i respectfully disagree

That's fine. Doesn't make me wrong.

It kinda does. Those of us who don't game on high end PCs and are used to console games as they are don't have a problem with them unless they're unplayable, but in this case it works fine. So saying they "shouldn't be played on a console" is not correct for everyone.

And then the PS4 is as powerful as a lot of PCs, many of which will be playing FC4, it just comes down to personal preference.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry 3 on PS3. Didn't encounter any major bugs or performance issues.

lol

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bigboi500

@Cyberdot said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

lol

I didn't. You PC people might have watched someone with an OG PS3 play it and have problems on youtube, or are just extremely over-reacting to minor issues. I doubt any of you actually played the game on PS3 for yourselves, and are just being PC fans.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

The other FC games, including FC3, ran and looked like shit compared to the PC version.

I expect FC4 to be best on PC again.

FC 3 looked better on modern day pc's than a $400 console from 2005? Who would've thought!

How good does Far Cry 3 look on a $400 pc from 2005? Better yet how good does Far Cry 3 look on a $1000 pc from 2005?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bigboi500

Do these games look and play best on PC? Of course. Are they unplayable on consoles? No. Should they be played on consoles? Depends on the situation and what one is used to and/or happy with. Are they worth spending hundreds of $$$ on just to play the best version of it on PC? Yes to some, no to others.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy games.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Unless its an ps4 vs xboner thread. A 2 fps difference is worth fighting 500 pages over.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500

@Jankarcop said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Unless its an ps4 vs xboner thread. A 2 fps difference is worth fighting 500 pages over.

SW cows and lems don't know how to enjoy games, they're too busy fighting each other over petty differences. Luckily they don't represent a majority of console gamers.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

@22Toothpicks said:

I guess I'm excited for this.

I think it would've been a much better idea for this not to be a cross-gen game (I know, I know, userbase blah blah blah).

oh i agree, it should have stuck to the newer generation.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Sounds good to me!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Heil68 said:

Sounds good to me!

Are you going to pre-order it?

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#39 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Do these games look and play best on PC? Of course. Are they unplayable on consoles? No. Should they be played on consoles? Depends on the situation and what one is used to and/or happy with. Are they worth spending hundreds of $$$ on just to play the best version of it on PC? Yes to some, no to others.

I fuckin' love you BigBoi *high five*

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bigboi500

@Kevlar101 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

I fuckin' love you BigBoi *high five*

High Bro Fist

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I'm more interested in Blood Dragon 2 than I am Farcry 4.