New Dark Souls II screenshots... kinda ugly

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

While I am a huge fan of Dark Souls I can't help but feel these shots are pretty shitty. But thankfully Dark Souls has never been a game about graphics.

More can be seen on their Facebook page

#2 Edited by glez13 (8874 posts) -

Just like the first one.

#3 Posted by danlevm (224 posts) -

more of the same.... can't wait till developers concentrate on Xone/ps4/pc only games...

#4 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Is this game coming out for next gen?

#5 Posted by heretrix (37403 posts) -

Demon/Dark Souls has always looked like shit. It's kind of part of the charm.

#6 Posted by Joedgabe (5114 posts) -

@edidili: No, current gen.

I wish they did develop it for the Next gen.. i would have definitely gotten a New console for DS2 (: but oh well.. can't really complain.. it's not the graphics i'm looking forward to.

#7 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@edidili: No, current gen.

I wish they did develop it for the Next gen.. i would have definitely gotten a New console for DS2 (: but oh well.. can't really complain.. it's not the graphics i'm looking forward to.

Well they said if they went for next gen the game wouldn't release till around 2016. As others said it's always kinda looked a bit bad so bringing it to next gen wouldn't have made much difference. Still the same kickass gameplay

#8 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Joedgabe said:

@edidili: No, current gen.

I wish they did develop it for the Next gen.. i would have definitely gotten a New console for DS2 (: but oh well.. can't really complain.. it's not the graphics i'm looking forward to.

Well they said if they went for next gen the game wouldn't release till around 2016. As others said it's always kinda looked a bit bad so bringing it to next gen wouldn't have made much difference. Still the same kickass gameplay

Exactly that's what matters. Darks souls wasn't really about graphics as it was always more about just aesthetic. Also the game is 5 months from launch. So I have faith they'll clean it up a bit.

#9 Posted by wis3boi (31458 posts) -

Not like the first one wasn't ugly as fuck either :P

#10 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

How unfortunate, but I'm still getting it! :D

#11 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3824 posts) -

Hopefully, the PC will at least get a proper version this time.

#12 Posted by padaporra (3428 posts) -

Looks very ugly.

#13 Posted by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

and i thought this could be the first Souls title that looks half decent for its year's standards... why using such an ugly looking engine? wtf. I could understand about Demon's Souls cuz the game was new and had a small budget and to some extent Dark Souls but why the hell this looks as ugly, a 2014 title? this must be current gen pics cuz if this is pc, wow...

#14 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14406 posts) -

That looks even worse than dark souls, I think it's just terrible screens there's no way it looks that bad.

#15 Edited by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

The floor texture in the first shot made me cry.

I hope that was just taken when the ground texture was streaming or something.... Or could just be a current placeholder texture I guess.

I'm sure it will look better on pc.

#16 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

It will look miles better on pc with mods. Can't wait.

#17 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2735 posts) -

looks like shit

#18 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3824 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

That looks even worse than dark souls, I think it's just terrible screens there's no way it looks that bad.

It actually does'nt, but I don't know what's up with that first image.

#19 Posted by uninspiredcup (8913 posts) -

The gamma seems awfully high.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8913 posts) -

@Frostbite24 said:

It will look miles better on pc with mods. Can't wait.

We already seen it running in it's Early state and it looks about the same, if not better. These are probably just bad screenshots.

#21 Edited by clyde46 (46567 posts) -

Mods will improve it.

#22 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3824 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Mods will improve it.

DS was'nt bad with DSfix alone.

Obviously, that with FROM standards in mind.

#23 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17752 posts) -

Playing dark souls for graphics? Fail.

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (8913 posts) -

Using heavy SSOA makes darksouls look great.

#25 Posted by slaves (1281 posts) -

Demon's Soul's looks better. I like the art style but these games aren't really about graphics. It's more about game play and atmosphere

#26 Posted by ihsanqueen (869 posts) -

I dont care if it looks a bit ugly, I played Souls Series for GAMEPLAY

Truth to be told, I'd like to play this game with Dualshock 4, is there any chance this game released on PS4?

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (8913 posts) -

@ihsanqueen said:

I dont care if it looks a bit ugly, I played Souls Series for GAMEPLAY

Having played Dark Souls on the pc and going back to play Demon Souls, yes, graphics do matter. Demon Souls looks like a turd in comparison, it hurts the experience.

#28 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Playing dark souls for graphics? Fail.

No one's saying that, would just be nice to have nicer textures in a modern game

#29 Posted by ihsanqueen (869 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@ihsanqueen said:

I dont care if it looks a bit ugly, I played Souls Series for GAMEPLAY

Having played Dark Souls on the pc and going back to play Demon Souls, yes, graphics do matter. Demon Souls looks like a turd in comparison, it hurts the experience.

Not really, especially when Souls has artistic style, and besides if bad graphics really hurt the experience, then nobody plays Nintendo games

#30 Edited by Minishdriveby (10005 posts) -

The environment looks ace.

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (8913 posts) -

@ihsanqueen said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ihsanqueen said:

I dont care if it looks a bit ugly, I played Souls Series for GAMEPLAY

Having played Dark Souls on the pc and going back to play Demon Souls, yes, graphics do matter. Demon Souls looks like a turd in comparison, it hurts the experience.

Not really, especially when Souls has artistic style, and besides if bad graphics really hurt the experience, then nobody plays Nintendo games

The artsyle doesn't stop you seeing a pixelated mess with huge framerate problems. Don't be silly sonny. Graphics do matter, lets not try pretend we are all artsy farzy full of substance and above it. It's just waffle. Don't feed me waffle.

#32 Edited by Vaasman (11457 posts) -

They already showed the game in motion and I think it looks just fine. Certainly better than the first. Screenshots for most games will never do them any justice.

#33 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I'm sure the game will look just fine in motion. Especially on the more powerful platforms eg: PC.

#34 Posted by ihsanqueen (869 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@ihsanqueen said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@ihsanqueen said:

I dont care if it looks a bit ugly, I played Souls Series for GAMEPLAY

Having played Dark Souls on the pc and going back to play Demon Souls, yes, graphics do matter. Demon Souls looks like a turd in comparison, it hurts the experience.

Not really, especially when Souls has artistic style, and besides if bad graphics really hurt the experience, then nobody plays Nintendo games

The artsyle doesn't stop you seeing a pixelated mess with huge framerate problems. Don't be silly sonny. Graphics do matter, lets not try pretend we are all artsy farzy full of substance and above it. It's just waffle. Don't feed me waffle.


Your comment kinda remind me to the state of gaming journalism nowadays

Dark Souls II, game with amazing gameplay but average graphics. Journalist = OMG, the game was so good but the graphics are sh**, lets reduce the score!!

Nintendo games, game with amazing gameplay but terrible graphics. Journalist = OMG, the game was so good but the graphics are sh**, its got no voice acting as well, ah who cares, it's on Nintendo system, lets give it a perfect score!!

Same conditions, different treatments

#35 Edited by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

Looks like the second of the Souls games the glorious master race will fix.

#36 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

On par with the last one.

Graphics aren't why they were praised so much

#37 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12202 posts) -

The Souls games have never been particularly good looking. Fortunately, that's not why people play them.

#38 Posted by tocool340 (20542 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

Hopefully, the PC will at least get a proper version this time.

This, though modding Dark Souls 1 on PC in a few areas made it a bit more enjoyable. It also made it look much better...

#39 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16619 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

LMAO, the quality of those textures, sprites and models give some N64 a run for their money

#40 Posted by Snugenz (11889 posts) -

Great games but they were never real lookers, that said i'm still hopeful they'll put the PC's extra (potential) grunt to good use now that it's lead platform.

#41 Posted by Sushiglutton (5328 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

LMAO, the quality of those textures, sprites and models give some N64 a run for their money

Yeah that scene in particular is so ugly that it starts to seriously effect the experienc imo. Graphics is not a priority for DS, but that is just too much. Why on earth did they post something like that?

#42 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3824 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

LMAO, the quality of those textures, sprites and models give some N64 a run for their money

Yeah that scene in particular is so ugly that it starts to seriously effect the experienc imo. Graphics is not a priority for DS, but that is just too much. Why on earth did they post something like that?

If you're consolites, you've been looking at this quality the entire gen....

#43 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

Looking more ugly than previous games. Maybe switching engine was not good idea, or main team is working on ps4 DS.

#44 Edited by AM-Gamer (4029 posts) -

Artistically its great but its built for 7 year old hardware so what did you expect?

#45 Edited by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

LMAO, the quality of those textures, sprites and models give some N64 a run for their money

Yeah that scene in particular is so ugly that it starts to seriously effect the experienc imo. Graphics is not a priority for DS, but that is just too much. Why on earth did they post something like that?

True,,, must say, those textures reminded me of old Tomb Raider games:

When the game looks like shit, that's a major negative... tout gameplay as much as you want, but bad graphics are definitely a drawback which needs to be called out.

#46 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@-Unreal- said:

Looks like the second of the Souls games the glorious master race will fix.

It's pretty sad when modders have to fix a modern game.

Nice to see modders improving an already solid product, but when mods are necessary to fix major game elements, it sucks. A product like that, little chance I'd pay anything over 10 EUR.

#47 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3824 posts) -

@NameIess_One said:

@Sushiglutton said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

LMAO, the quality of those textures, sprites and models give some N64 a run for their money

Yeah that scene in particular is so ugly that it starts to seriously effect the experienc imo. Graphics is not a priority for DS, but that is just too much. Why on earth did they post something like that?

True,,, must say, those textures reminded me of old Tomb Raider games:

When the game looks like shit, that's a major negative... tout gameplay as much as you want, but bad graphics are definitely a drawback which needs to be called out.

Ehh, there's a hell of a lot less geometry, among other things, there.... What you're noticing are the awfull textures and those are common in ps360 compatible games.

#48 Edited by thedork_knight (877 posts) -

cows wont play as its not in 1080p, and as we know that 1080p makes us all better gamers

#49 Edited by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

It looks a lot more colorful than the past games, it kind of looks like it's cell shaded also. I'm guessing they've gone for a more artistic look this time. Which I'm perfectly okay with, that looks pretty good to me.

#50 Edited by drinkerofjuice (3209 posts) -

Dark Souls' visuals are pretty in an ugly sort of way. It's an odd charm, and it seems to be passed on towards the sequel. Fine by me.