New Co-op Sonic Game Announced for Wii U (Sonic Boom)

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -
#2 Edited by MonsieurX (28743 posts) -

Hipster Sonic?

#3 Posted by Lucianu (9288 posts) -

They failed with Lost World, so i am not trusting anything they say regarding that until i play a Sonic game released in 2014, that is at least as brilliant as Generations and as great as Colours.

#4 Edited by _Matt_ (8792 posts) -

It would take a lot to convince me it could be true. Haven't liked a Sonic game for many many many many years.

#5 Posted by super600 (29967 posts) -

The future sonic game is also being based on the new tv show from what I heard.

#6 Posted by gameofthering (9980 posts) -

Knuckles looks daft.

#8 Posted by m_machine024 (14844 posts) -

Wow......... *facepalm* Really?

Nothing was wrong with the precious design. What are they trying to do? Make them more realistic? Imo, they're off a bad start already.

#9 Posted by spike6958 (4651 posts) -

I actually like the new design for Sonic, Knuckles on the other hand looks ridiculous. They've just taken his normal head and put it onto a bigger, taller body, it looks so disproportioned and unnatural.

#10 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3243 posts) -

We need a Sonic Lost World 2.

#11 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -

Breaking news! The box-art has been released for the next Sonic game

#12 Posted by gameofthering (9980 posts) -

I just noticed that Sonic has blue arms now! They should just leave everything alone.

#13 Posted by Slashkice (12983 posts) -
#14 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -
#15 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2588 posts) -

There is no way that's real. Those character models are terrible. Then again this is Sega.......

#16 Posted by bobbetybob (19087 posts) -

"Hey guys that last Sonic game kind of sucked, how can we improve things next time?"

"LET'S MAKE THE CHARACTERS LOOK DIFFERENT!!"

"My God trained monkey we have working as our lead designer, you're a genius!"

#17 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

Holy crap those designs look awful.

#18 Edited by Desmonic (12728 posts) -

Wait....isn't this supposed to be the show they announced last year? It's a game? O.o?

Or maybe it's a game tie-in? So this is the 3rd Wii-U exclusive. Looks alright graphically, though the "new" models look like ass IMO. It would explain why they are so different.

----

They seriously just need to return to the Colours/Generation formula and they'll be good. That or improve the sh!t out of the Lost World formula.

#19 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -

The character models look even worse in game...

#20 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10893 posts) -

I cant get over how terrible Knuckles looks.

#21 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -

Sanic plz...

#22 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Oh God, wtf has Knuckles done to deserve that? Redesigns are horrific, Sonic is now dead, should of just made Sonic Generations 2, not Sonic Drake's Deception.

#23 Posted by m_machine024 (14844 posts) -

LOL at Sonic's pose! XD Looks really weird. And what's the point of the bandages?

Only Tails looks normal. Amy looks ok I guess.

But I won't lie. Visuals looks nice. Gameplay looks.... hmm interesting. :/

#24 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16952 posts) -

If Sonic Boom really is a reboot and not just a tv show tie-in, I might be done with this franchise. I also find it ridiculously funny that Chris Senn will be working on this game.

#25 Edited by nini200 (9387 posts) -

Game looks decent imo. I like Lost Worlds quite a bit since they went back to it's roots a bit with making the game more about Platforming than speed. Character designs look terrible but the gameplay looks decent.

I'll wait to see if this is official. I also noticed that Amy is as fast as the rest of the group now so I know somethings wrong here.

I'll say though, if they put the actual Sonic character models in that game, it may actually be pretty good.

I'd prefer a Lost Worlds 2, Generations 2, Sonic 5 with classic Sonic, Sonic & Knuckles 2 or a Chaotix 2

#26 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25832 posts) -

What... the... hell... happened to Knuckles?

#27 Posted by trugs26 (5122 posts) -

I'll keep my eyes on it, but at the moment, I don't like the character designs. I'll have to see more before I pass judgement on the game though.

#28 Posted by Raptor_Herc (155 posts) -

While I am not a fan of the character designs, the gameplay (what little that was shown) looks promising. If this has local multi where you can play with multiple characters at once, it will be interesting to see how it squares up to Super Mario 3D World.

#29 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -

It's official

#30 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16952 posts) -
#31 Edited by Desmonic (12728 posts) -

Oh, it's indeed a tie-in to the cartoon show. That explains the terrible models. Ah well... Sanzaru will be doing the 3DS version (the dudes from Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time).

------------

Here's the trailer for the TV show, which actually looks kinda decent (minus the new models). I enjoyed the exchange between Sonic and Eggman at the start of the clip.

Enjoy (link just in case):

#32 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9421 posts) -

Okay, I just watched the trailer, and the game play actually look okay for a "work in progress", as the video stated. I have my reservations, as Sonic Team has a habit of disappointing me with Sonic games, but, right now, it looks like it could be a solid game.

New character designs look really stupid though.

#33 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -
#34 Edited by Slashkice (12983 posts) -

Okay, I just watched the trailer, and the game play actually look okay for a "work in progress", as the video stated. I have my reservations, as Sonic Team has a habit of disappointing me with Sonic games, but, right now, it looks like it could be a solid game.

Sonic Team isn't developing the game. The Wii U version is by Big Red Button and the 3DS version is by Sanzaru.

Most people are assuming Sonic Team are working on the next entry which will get PS4/One versions, since the Nintendo exclusivity contract is now fulfilled.

#35 Posted by Ghost120x (3652 posts) -

:(

Sega just needs to bury him at this point. I guess after work today, I'm just going to finally open and play the genesis collection I got last week, and remember the good times because they are over.

Also lol at knuckles, I didn't know he was into steroids.

#36 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9421 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

Sonic Team isn't developing the game. The Wii U version is by Big Red Button and the 3DS version is by Sanzaru.

Most people are assuming Sonic Team are working on the next entry which will get PS4/One versions, since the Nintendo exclusivity contract is now fulfilled.

Ah, okay. Do you know of any significant games they have made? They don't know have a page on Wikpedia, and I can't find a list of games they created on their Web site.

#37 Posted by m_machine024 (14844 posts) -

- Sonic Boom is a Wii U/3DS exclusive

- prequel to the new Sonic CG TV show

- Wii U version being developed by Big Red Button, a team led by former Naughty Dog staff

- utilizes the CryEngine 3

- characters have been completely redesigned to fit the new aesthetic and engine

- Eggman has gotten a makeover as well

- characters will have specialties based on their strengths and personalities

- Knuckles will focus on strength

- Tails will utilize gadgets

- Amy Rose will have agility

- Sonic will have speed

- four playable characters total in local co-op (no online)

- at least two of them will be on screen at all times, even in single-player

- swap between characters on the fly

- 3DS version in development by Sanzaru

#38 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -

I love how on the Gamespot front page, Knuckle's head doesn't make the cut.

#39 Posted by Desmonic (12728 posts) -
#40 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Co-Op for the mothaf#cking win !

Woooooooooooh !

Adam's gona love this. :D

#41 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11385 posts) -
#42 Posted by Slashkice (12983 posts) -

Ah, okay. Do you know of any significant games they have made? They don't know have a page on Wikpedia, and I can't find a list of games they created on their Web site.

I believe this is their first game. There's not a lot known about them except that they were formed in '08 by former Naughty Dog guys. Sanzaru on the other hand made the latest Sly Cooper on Vita/PS3.

#43 Edited by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

Wii U only? Meh.. Think I'll wait for 2015 for the PS4 Sonic game.

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (54485 posts) -

Why, why can't I just have a new Sonic game as awesome as Colors and Generations? Why?

#45 Posted by bbkkristian (14767 posts) -

What have they done to my childhood heroes?

#46 Posted by Slashkice (12983 posts) -

*Sonic Boom details*

This is sounding a lot like Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One. That's not a good thing.

#47 Edited by Desmonic (12728 posts) -
#48 Posted by Desmonic (12728 posts) -

Why, why can't I just have a new Sonic game as awesome as Colors and Generations? Why?

Because, that would make too much sense.

"Oh, we have a perfectly fine and working formula for 3D Sonic which fans actually like? F*ck that sh!t, let's make something new and crappy!.....again! :D " -- Sega, Sonic Team.

#50 Posted by nini200 (9387 posts) -

Well it's official. The gameplay doesn't look that bad actually. The Character models look pretty out there though. Tails design actually fits him though. They need to remove all the Mummy Wrappings from everyone except Knuckles and give sonic his regular arm color. The characters seem older so I guess it can be overlooked if the gameplay is good enough.