New AAA space RTS from Paradox * Looks awesome

• 54 results
#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4939 posts) -

OH YEH. RTS genre is being resurrected.

The father of Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 presents a new SINGLE PLAYER STORY DRIVEN SPACE RTS FUCK YEEEH.

The game looks plainly awesome.

Ancient Space is a single-player, real-time strategy title that puts the player in command of a fleet conducting a scientific mission on the edge of the known universe, charting what lies beyond in ‘The Black Zone.’ A rich and compelling story will guide the player as they build and upgrade their fleets and then survive overwhelming odds in deadly strategic missions." The publisher promises missions that will range in variety, from exploration to, er, stealth.

PC IS trully gaining momentum.

#2 Edited by Wasdie (50266 posts) -

Sweet. Unexpected and it looks great.

#3 Posted by clyde46 (46795 posts) -

I still want another Supcom.

#4 Posted by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -

Nice, not going to be an eSports phenomenon, but that's ok.

#5 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28033 posts) -

I love paradox.

#6 Posted by faizanhd (324 posts) -

This looks quite ambitious.

#7 Posted by pyro1245 (957 posts) -

wooo this looks really cool. Thanks for bringing it to my attentions

#8 Edited by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

Looks awesome, also at 24 sec in that ship totally looks like a reaper from Mass Effect

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (9657 posts) -

Any game that looks like Homeworld looks appealing.

Even if it is Paradox.

#10 Posted by lawlessx (46846 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

I love paradox.

was gonna come here just to say this.

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (9657 posts) -

I remember watching the pc gamer podcast (I might actually record it) with the head of Paradox essentially saying pc is great, because you can put up unfinished games. No joke.

#12 Posted by adamosmaki (9686 posts) -

excellent. My favorite genre with my favorite theme ( space ). Going back to soase for now

#13 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8532 posts) -

Another wonderful exclusive for the glorious pc master race.

inb4butthurtAmazongAngry

#14 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7472 posts) -

This game looks great.

#15 Posted by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

Wow. That's an amazing announcement.

#16 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4308 posts) -

About Damn Time !

#18 Edited by Kjranu (1041 posts) -

That, my friend, is why Paradox is one of PC gaming's kingpins.

#19 Posted by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -

@Kjranu: Besides Blizzard, Valve and Firaxis, I would agree. They also published Magika.

#20 Posted by PapaTrop (1643 posts) -

Can I just get a space game that doesn't require a lot of thinking?

It always seems it's some sort of RTS, or TBS, or roguelike, or MMO, or some mixture of the bunch.

I just want to fly around without thinking for once.

#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5079 posts) -

wondrous. i'm keen gents, i'm keen!

#22 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7472 posts) -

@papatrop said:

It always seems it's some sort of RTS, or TBS, or roguelike, or MMO, or some mixture of the bunch.

Try Strike Suit Zero.

#23 Edited by lawlessx (46846 posts) -

@papatrop said:

X3 series?

#24 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5079 posts) -
@lawlessx said:

@papatrop said:

X3 series?

mate which do you think is the best game from the x3 series?

#25 Posted by PapaTrop (1643 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@papatrop said:

Try Strike Suit Zero.

That game looks pretty sexy.

I mean I'm not against any of those genres. It just seems to be 99% of all space games that come out, and I don't have time to learn the intricacies of all of them.

#26 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5079 posts) -

@papatrop: i grant thee absolution.

#27 Posted by AdrianWerner (28066 posts) -

Another title without 3D combat :(

Still looks nice though. Polish devs are really hitting their groove

#28 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5079 posts) -
@AdrianWerner said:

Another title without 3D combat :(

Still looks nice though. Polish devs are really hitting their groove

what does a Polish woman get on her wedding night ... that's long, and hard?

a new last name

@Salt_The_Fries FYI

#29 Posted by WallofTruth (1777 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

I love paradox.

Yeah me too, sometimes they make some excellent games that offer tons of fun and replayability.

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7472 posts) -

@papatrop said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@papatrop said:

Try Strike Suit Zero.

That game looks pretty sexy.

I mean I'm not against any of those genres. It just seems to be 99% of all space games that come out, and I don't have time to learn the intricacies of all of them.

Strike Suit is very arcadey, almost like a modern day Star Fox. It's pretty fun.

#31 Posted by Boddicker (2880 posts) -

Damnit!!!!!!

Why can't Sony and MS release a first party k/m so we can play games like this?

#32 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

Oh man that looks awesome! Paradox is great.

#33 Posted by harry_james_pot (11034 posts) -

Great news! Paradox is awesome.

#34 Posted by pyro1245 (957 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

Damnit!!!!!!

Hah. I've always thought "Why can't they just allow K/M support for games like this." You're right though, they would probably require first-party hardware.

My guess is that the audience just isn't there. Well in actuality it is, but I guess the suits don't see it. I think it would be a great idea and it would give people without powerful enough computers to play these games. I know there are RTS fans from a decade ago who just haven't gotten a new PC and now primarily game on consoles.

#35 Edited by Gue1 (10417 posts) -

you guys have to spicy it up a bit. Always hyping the same shitty looking games like a sheep. This is why PC gaming is shit.

#36 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1561 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

you guys have to spicy it up a bit. Always hyping the same shitty looking games like a sheep. This is why PC gaming is shit.

Well the hype actually plays out well and our games score aaa-aa quite frequently (which is why we always have so many more). Unlike Xbone and PS4 and their games drought.

So you can't really blame the OP as they usually do end up "awesome" as the thread title suggests, rather than "shitty".

#37 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4308 posts) -

@papatrop said:

Freelancer . Play it . You don't regret it .

#38 Posted by BldgIrsh (2787 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

You have to spice up your arguments. It's always the same shallow anti-PC comment.

#39 Posted by mikhail (2535 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

10,000 posts and that's the best you can come up with? What a compelling argument!

#40 Posted by Gamerno6666 (2026 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Well we hype up games, not movies.

#41 Posted by Boddicker (2880 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

@Boddicker said:

Damnit!!!!!!

Hah. I've always thought "Why can't they just allow K/M support for games like this." You're right though, they would probably require first-party hardware.

My guess is that the audience just isn't there. Well in actuality it is, but I guess the suits don't see it. I think it would be a great idea and it would give people without powerful enough computers to play these games. I know there are RTS fans from a decade ago who just haven't gotten a new PC and now primarily game on consoles.

Phil Spencer said in an interview that more RTS are sorely needed on consoles. But of course a k/m setup would require some sort of desk and that's probably been the biggest factor in why neither Sony or MS have released one. Also the sales might not have been there for ones released on PS1/2.

Truthfully TBS have always worked fine on consoles like XCOM: EU (don't get me started on XCOM: EW), but RTS with a controller is just shitty from my experience. You always feel like you're at a disadvantage.

#42 Posted by Heirren (17742 posts) -

@papatrop said:

You ever play Star Trek on SNES/Genesis?

#43 Posted by PapaTrop (1643 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@papatrop said:

I haven't, but if there's one thing I know is that I don't think I've ever heard of a "good Star Trek game".

That is....... Outside of the Star Trek mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. That's one of the best games ever made period.

#44 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (3362 posts) -

Homeworld, is that you?

#45 Posted by Heirren (17742 posts) -

@papatrop said:

@Heirren said:

@papatrop said:

I haven't, but if there's one thing I know is that I don't think I've ever heard of a "good Star Trek game".

That is....... Outside of the Star Trek mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. That's one of the best games ever made period.

It is enjoyable but I know what you mean. You want something like Starfox or Rogue Leader. Something fast where the gameplay difficulty is more about how fast you can dodge and target enemies. I feel the same way.

#46 Posted by Wasdie (50266 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

Damnit!!!!!!

Just get a PC. Seriously. The consoles are built for a living room environment. Keyboard and mouse does not work well there.

You can setup a PC in a living room and try to use mouse and keyboard, but the experience isn't the greatest. Viewing distance from the TV is too far so reading text is difficult, setting a mouse and keyboard up is a challenge because it's hard to find a surface that emulates a desk and usually you end up hunched over too far and it's uncomfortable. FoV's in games are too large making distance objects difficult to see.

When I use my PC on my TV I always just use a controller and drop the FoV in games. It feels much more natural and is way easier to use.

#47 Posted by AdrianWerner (28066 posts) -

@papatrop said:

@Heirren said:

@papatrop said:

Nah..Star Trek had plenty of good games. Even some great ones. Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command and Armada series, even got some nice action games like Elite Force (especially the 2nd one) and DS9's Fallen. Heck..it even had good adventure games, like Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.

It's only in recent years that the quality in ST games has dissapeared

#48 Posted by Wasdie (50266 posts) -

@AdrianWerner said:

Nah..Star Trek had plenty of good games. Even some great ones. Bridge Commander, Starfleet Command and Armada series, even got some nice action games like Elite Force (especially the 2nd one) and DS9's Fallen. Heck..it even had good adventure games, like Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.

It's only in recent years that the quality in ST games has dissapeared

Star Trek Online has turned into a pretty fine game in the past few years. Rocky launch but it turned around quite a bit when it went F2P.

#49 Edited by Boddicker (2880 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Boddicker said:

Damnit!!!!!!

Just get a PC. Seriously. The consoles are built for a living room environment. Keyboard and mouse does not work well there.

You can setup a PC in a living room and try to use mouse and keyboard, but the experience isn't the greatest. Viewing distance from the TV is too far so reading text is difficult, setting a mouse and keyboard up is a challenge because it's hard to find a surface that emulates a desk and usually you end up hunched over too far and it's uncomfortable. FoV's in games are too large making distance objects difficult to see.

When I use my PC on my TV I always just use a controller and drop the FoV in games. It feels much more natural and is way easier to use.

No can do, unfortunately.

I'm very ill and might pass in the next 1-5 years. In my state I become easily confused so don't have the time to learn the ins and outs of PC gaming again. I was a PC gamer in the 90's and it was GLORIOUS!

I've got $500 set aside of my own money and am just waiting on Sony to announce their new SKU for the holiday season. I don't trust a non-Nintendo launch console.

#50 Posted by uninspiredcup (9657 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

Homeworld, is that you?

Doubt it will be 1/10 the game that Homeworld was.