New 3DS to be region locked.

#1 Edited by clyde46 (46578 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-nintendo-3ds-will-be-region-locked/1100-6422079/

#2 Posted by lostrib (37606 posts) -

I guess that's bad. I've never run into an issue with regions

#3 Edited by kitty (114794 posts) -

Nothing new really. I believe all of nintendos consoles and handhelds have been that way. :P
Unless we are talking about something like the gameboy. But thats nothing that has been released in recent years.

#4 Posted by Joedgabe (5115 posts) -

I have to ask.. Is it the next generation of the nintendo handheld ? or is it just an updated 3DS model? Or is it something of like an add on to say.. like the kinect was to the xbox 360 were it was just an expansion on an existing generation that you wouldn't really miss if you didn't have it ?

#5 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

I have to ask.. Is it the next generation of the nintendo handheld ? or is it just an updated 3DS model? Or is it something of like an add on to say.. like the kinect was to the xbox 360 were it was just an expansion on an existing generation that you wouldn't really miss if you didn't have it ?

It's like the DSi was to the DS, or the Gameboy Color to the Gameboy.

Just a "minor" upgrade, might get some exclusive content, and will probably be replaced in 2 more years by the true successor.

#6 Posted by Joedgabe (5115 posts) -

@treedoor said:

@Joedgabe said:

I have to ask.. Is it the next generation of the nintendo handheld ? or is it just an updated 3DS model? Or is it something of like an add on to say.. like the kinect was to the xbox 360 were it was just an expansion on an existing generation that you wouldn't really miss if you didn't have it ?

It's like the DSi was to the DS, or the Gameboy Color to the Gameboy.

Just a "minor" upgrade, might get some exclusive content, and will probably be replaced in 2 more years by the true successor.

Great news for me then.. i was worried having bought my 3DS last year.

#7 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8523 posts) -

@Joedgabe: and that's exactly why I don't understand why they don't just wait till they are ready for a real new system instead of this 3ds 1.5. Granted I will probably get one if/when it gets NA release.

#8 Posted by lamprey263 (24151 posts) -

I just assumed the 3DS and 3DS XL and 2DS systems were region locked. I seen videos where westerners play Japanese import titles they do so on an imported 3DS. The Wii too was region locked as I remember people importing Japanese Wiis to play Fatal Frame IV or using Homebrew to play it with the translation patches because the Wii was region locked. Seems par for the course with Nintendo.

I'm not so upset by region lock of New 3DS... I just hate the uncertainty about it's release. Sometime in 2015 could me Fall of 2015 for all we know. That could be a long time. That's months of Amiibo support for games like Super Smash Bros 3DS what we'll be missing out on.

#9 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34157 posts) -

Not surprising but still sucks.

#10 Posted by osirisx3 (1815 posts) -

i was thinking about doing a teaching job in japan so i guess no 3ds for me.

#11 Edited by sailor232 (4813 posts) -

I wanted to get my partner to pick one up for me while she is in Japan until November, obviously not anymore, thanks Nintendo, it would had saved me over $100 NZD after conversion as well. So disappointed. Plus no re-lease date for anyone else as well so who knows when we will get it.

#12 Posted by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

@Joedgabe: Having bought your 3DS last year, how would you feel if this new model played games that you wont be able to? Because that's what is happening. Far from having "some exclusive content" you are actually going to miss out on some major games like xenoblade so you bought a redundant model and Nintendo didn't tell you. This is an unprecedented bit of greed from Nintendo.

#13 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

As expected.

#14 Posted by hiphops_savior (7941 posts) -

@sailor232: How's the gaming laws in the House of Lorde?

#15 Posted by Articuno76 (18843 posts) -
@kitty said:

Nothing new really. I believe all of nintendos consoles and handhelds have been that way. :P

Unless we are talking about something like the gameboy. But thats nothing that has been released in recent years.

Here's the weird thing. Nintendo handhelds have traditionally been region-free dating right back to the Gameboy IIRC (or at least the GBC in my experience). This was true up until the 3DS line came out (region-locking was seen in some select titles for the DSi) with across-the-board region locking. In other words, Nintendo's insistence on region locking the 3DS isn't only antiquated, but regressive.

To put this into context: This news comes just as the Xbox One, yes that black box initially fashioned out of draconian DRM policies, has just been released in Japan. And you know what? Even Microsoft's machine is region free, even taking card payments directly from overseas accounts. When Microsoft has you whooped in consumer-friendly digital distribution you know you have a problem!

#16 Posted by sailor232 (4813 posts) -

@hiphops_savior said:

@sailor232: How's the gaming laws in the House of Lorde?

They are really good, no censorship and games never get banned here, total opposite of Australia which is only a few hours flight away.

#17 Posted by wolverine4262 (19382 posts) -

Nintendo is trying to monetize everything these days without making any noticeable investments.

#18 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

What the fuck is Nintendo doing?!

#19 Posted by musicalmac (23033 posts) -

That's too bad. Is Nintendo trying to hand over all their non-Japanese customers wholesale? Apple will gladly take them.

#20 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (724 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@Joedgabe: Having bought your 3DS last year, how would you feel if this new model played games that you wont be able to? Because that's what is happening. Far from having "some exclusive content" you are actually going to miss out on some major games like xenoblade so you bought a redundant model and Nintendo didn't tell you. This is an unprecedented bit of greed from Nintendo.

You call a Wii port on a handheld a major exclusive release? lol On top of that, we don't even know if Xeno is going to leave Japan, like a lot of things.

#21 Edited by hiphops_savior (7941 posts) -

@TrappedInABox91: That would be easy to say if Xenoblade is widely available.

#22 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5577 posts) -

Liar Clyde is a liar.

#23 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (872 posts) -

Characteristic of the most backwards and stuck-in-their-ways console maker.

#24 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5634 posts) -

#25 Posted by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

@TrappedInABox91: You would call one of the most lauded JRPGs of the last generation, already localised and the first game Nintendo mentioned when talking about this console anything but major?

#26 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7295 posts) -

Ninendo is so out of touch its not even funny. They wonder why the Wii U is struggling. You could make money off of imports especially with the 3DS I just wonder how can the XboxOne be region free but not the 3DS? *smh*

#27 Posted by Heirren (17319 posts) -

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Characteristic of the most backwards and stuck-in-their-ways console maker.

Yet they have been in business the longest and have the most money in the bank. I applaud Nintendo for not conforming to the current form of gaming.

I don't agree with this region locking, but if you look at it from nintendos perspective? People buy online. Think of the amount of confusion it could cause to those unknowing, with multiple versions of games on every site, and recieving a game in a different language, etc.

#28 Posted by Priapus10101 (100 posts) -

Nintendo may make some fantastic games, however their archaic business mentality will ultimately lead to their demise.

#29 Posted by sailor232 (4813 posts) -

@priapus10101 said:

Nintendo may make some fantastic games, however their archaic business mentality will ultimately lead to their demise.

Agreed, they seriously need some outside influence instilled in their Japanese management team.

#30 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19940 posts) -

@Heirren: Why should Nintendo care if you buy the wrong copy?

#31 Posted by Heirren (17319 posts) -

@Ragnarok1051 said:

@Heirren: Why should Nintendo care if you buy the wrong copy?

Is that a serious question? Think of the amount of complaints based on wrong copys/returns, retailer feedback, etc.

#32 Edited by Articuno76 (18843 posts) -
@Heirren said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Characteristic of the most backwards and stuck-in-their-ways console maker.

Yet they have been in business the longest and have the most money in the bank. I applaud Nintendo for not conforming to the current form of gaming.

I don't agree with this region locking, but if you look at it from nintendos perspective? People buy online. Think of the amount of confusion it could cause to those unknowing, with multiple versions of games on every site, and recieving a game in a different language, etc.

That's a problem that can be solved simply by locking the region of the store to the system language. If the store is in a language you can read then so is the game (Xbox style). Alternatively you can lock the store region to the region origin of the user account (PlayStation style).

I've never heard of anyone being confused on the Xbox/PlayStation with access to multiple stores because you have to actually try to access those other stores to make purchases.

#33 Posted by Articuno76 (18843 posts) -
@Heirren said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Characteristic of the most backwards and stuck-in-their-ways console maker.

Yet they have been in business the longest and have the most money in the bank. I applaud Nintendo for not conforming to the current form of gaming.

I don't agree with this region locking, but if you look at it from nintendos perspective? People buy online. Think of the amount of confusion it could cause to those unknowing, with multiple versions of games on every site, and recieving a game in a different language, etc.

That's a problem that can be solved simply by locking the region of the store to the system language (Xbox style). If the store is in a language you can read then so is the game. It's a pretty simple system. Or you could lock the region of the store to the region of the user account (PlayStation style).

I've never heard of anyone being confused on the Xbox/PlayStation with access to multiple stores because you have to actually try to access those other stores to make purchases.

Besides, even if digital purchases are region-locked I can't see any reason to lock physical games as it's commonsense that if you buy a game in a foreign country it will be in that country's language.

#34 Edited by Joedgabe (5115 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@Joedgabe: Having bought your 3DS last year, how would you feel if this new model played games that you wont be able to? Because that's what is happening. Far from having "some exclusive content" you are actually going to miss out on some major games like xenoblade so you bought a redundant model and Nintendo didn't tell you. This is an unprecedented bit of greed from Nintendo.

i wont deny it feels like an obvious milking attempt however i'm more concerned about games like pokemon, zelda and monster hunter still being released in the regular 3DS. If they do major releases exclusively to the New one then that's something to get pissed at. Other wise wii ports for the 3DS doesn't bother me at all considering i own a wii and haven't used it in years.

#35 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (872 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Characteristic of the most backwards and stuck-in-their-ways console maker.

Yet they have been in business the longest and have the most money in the bank. I applaud Nintendo for not conforming to the current form of gaming.

I don't agree with this region locking, but if you look at it from nintendos perspective? People buy online. Think of the amount of confusion it could cause to those unknowing, with multiple versions of games on every site, and recieving a game in a different language, etc.

Dumb. It just fucks over a small portion of their fanbase for no specific reason.

And your argument is awful. Region specific games aren't readily available on places like Amazon or Walmart unless you go to something like Amazon "UK". Not sure why there would be confusion. I mean, sure, Nintendo fans maybe naive beyond belief, but surely they wouldn't get confused. Even resale websites like eBay list the region.

Xbox and PS fans don't seem to be having mass problems of confusion.

#36 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19940 posts) -

@Heirren said:

@Ragnarok1051 said:

@Heirren: Why should Nintendo care if you buy the wrong copy?

Is that a serious question? Think of the amount of complaints based on wrong copys/returns, retailer feedback, etc.

Not Nintendo's problem. Customers are responsible for what they purchase.

#37 Posted by lordlors (5610 posts) -

@kitty: False. DS wasn't region-locked and that's the predecessor of 3DS.