ND open to new Crash, but still focused on story based games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9795 posts) -

Today, GameSpot posted an article about Naughty Dog and the idea of bringing back Crash Bandicoot. Here's what they had to say about that:

"It's never off the table," Naughty Dog community strategist Arne Meyer told IGN when asked about bringing back Crash. "It's not too much time passing, but it's the same issues we explored with the Jak game: Is it something that makes sense to us now? I mean, we still have people that worked on the Crash games in the studio. We never forget our past and it'd be great for nostalgic reasons. It'd be the same reason as why there isn't a Jak 4: I don't know if it's playing to our strengths right now.""

Here's why they never made a Jak 4 and also probably why we haven't seen Crash yet:

"Right now, what's exciting everyone at the studio is continuing to work on narrative-driven games with strong characters," he explained. "I think, at least for the time being, we haven't exhausted the possibilities there, but that could change with something as simple as hardware. That's what drove it before. I think we're on to something really good though creating character-driven stories so that's where our focus is going to be."

Activision said that they "continue[s] to explore ways in which we could bring the beloved series back to life."

While this isn't much, it does give some hope for the franchise. Maybe after Uncharted 4, we'll see if they get tired of making narrative-driven games (this will be their fifth one with UC4) and Sony and Activision will form a partnership or Activision will just sell the IP to Sony? I can only hope, as I miss Crash.

#2 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5739 posts) -

I honestly do hope they stop with the narrative games like UC and TLOU. Something new would be of my preference, but i know alot of people enjoy these kinds of games.

With that said, after UC4, might be the time for the Uncharted racing game.

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (26172 posts) -

Naughty Dog would be stepping into a trap for that, it'd be like when all the cows were harping on "make a PlayStation version of Super Smash Brothers", and Sony heeded the call with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, then like nobody bought the game; that's what Crash Bandicoot would be. These days it'd be nothing more than an over-glorified Knack. It'd be just like when people wanted that modern Twisted Metal and they got it, and again NOBODY bought it, because some things are just better left in the past. Plain and simply, Naughty Dog is not meant to revive Crash Bandicoot, they've got better thing to focus on they appeasing a few nostalgic cows who won't even buy the game.

#4 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9795 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Naughty Dog would be stepping into a trap for that, it'd be like when all the cows were harping on "make a PlayStation version of Super Smash Brothers", and Sony heeded the call with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, then like nobody bought the game; that's what Crash Bandicoot would be. These days it'd be nothing more than an over-glorified Knack. It'd be just like when people wanted that modern Twisted Metal and they got it, and again NOBODY bought it, because some things are just better left in the past. Plain and simply, Naughty Dog is not meant to revive Crash Bandicoot, they've got better thing to focus on they appeasing a few nostalgic cows who won't even buy the game.

How is Crash Bandicoot like Knack?

#5 Posted by foxhound_fox (91188 posts) -

I wish they would go back to gameplay-focused games.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19066 posts) -

YAY ! More cutscenes ! It must feel so good to own a PS4 right now. :)

#7 Posted by RageQuit4Life (417 posts) -

They're missing the opportunity to make some money. There are a lot of people who loves their childhood memories with Crash. Naughty Dog just need to make a good Crash game and they will see the money flow into their banks. Dammit, ND.