name a surprising game from a dev

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rumbalumba (2880 posts) -
#2 Posted by arkephonic (6212 posts) -

I dunno why, but Rockstar Table Tennis instantly came to mind.

I could probably do a lot better than that....

#3 Posted by jg4xchamp (47069 posts) -

Metal Wolf Chaos from From Software. How does that game not make it to America?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

#4 Posted by Tikeio (5332 posts) -

Uncharted? I mean, ND did come from making platformers and kart racing games.

#5 Posted by Nega3 (1069 posts) -

Black.

An FPS by Criterion Games (Burnout series)

It was pretty bad as well. :P

#6 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

Black.

Nega3

was a good shooter for its time :S

There was F all wrong with black whatsoever.

#7 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Black.

Nega3

No it wasn't.

Anyway Shogo from Monolith.

#8 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
Crysis 2 by Crytek. It certainly wasn't the worst game ever created, but it was terrible when compared to Crysis and Crysis Warhead.
#9 Posted by Nega3 (1069 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nega3"]

Black.

razgriz_101

was a good shooter for its time :S

There was F all wrong with black whatsoever.

It was probably because I was only in 5th grade back when I played it.

Didn't know f*ck all about how to play shooters. :P

#10 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

Crysis 2 by Crytek. It certainly wasn't the worst game ever created, but it was terrible when compared to Crysis and Crysis Warhead.Elann2008

Enjoyed it more than both

#11 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Crysis 2 by Crytek. It certainly wasn't the worst game ever created, but it was terrible when compared to Crysis and Crysis Warhead.waltefmoney

Enjoyed it more than both

Why do you have to bring Ariel into this? lol :P jk

#12 Posted by Basinboy (10985 posts) -

Most surprising? Left 4 Dead. Didn't think Valve was going to take that route.

Another surprising game: Resistance. Insomniac trying its hand at FPS? Very surprising.

#13 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Another surprising game: Resistance. Insomniac trying its hand at FPS? Very surprising.

Basinboy
I was surprised and happy with Valve's choice. :D
#14 Posted by jg4xchamp (47069 posts) -

Basinboy
Seemed kind of a natural route for them. The best parts about Ratchet and Clank was always the weapons. So them going to a genre all about weapons seemed like a perfect fit.
#15 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

jg4xchamp
Seemed kind of a natural route for them. The best parts about Ratchet and Clank was always the weapons. So them going to a genre all about weapons seemed like a perfect fit.

If I never knew a single thing about Resistance, I would have known it was by Insomniac because of the guns. It's like they ripped it straight out of R&C, re-skinned them, and put it all in first-person.
#16 Posted by arkephonic (6212 posts) -

Left 4 Dead was actually developed by Turtle Rock Studios, and Valve bought the studio because they liked what they saw.

If anything, I'd say Portal was a pretty surprising game coming from Valve, a game franchise that they actually did think of.

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (47069 posts) -

If I never knew a single thing about Resistance, I would have known it was by Insomniac because of the guns. It's like they ripped it straight out of R&C, re-skinned them, and put it all in first-person. Elann2008
I wouldn't go that far. The guns in the first 2 resistance games were so meh. Game would have been more interesting if they didn't aim to be a bit more grounded on a gameplay standpoint.

Left 4 Dead was actually developed by Turtle Rock Studios, and Valve bought the studio because they liked what they saw.

If anything, I'd say Portal was a pretty surprising game coming from Valve, a game franchise that they actually did think of.

arkephonic

Pretty sure they got that idea from someone else as well, and hired that team.

#18 Posted by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -
unreal 1 It made be start gaming all over again when i quit games after the mortal kombat hype. 3d accelerated fps game. Story driven, for me it was the base for the fps hype that exists today. The multiplayer was like nothing anyone had seen before. You could swim through water with fish and even shoot the fish. The water looked like real (back then anyway). If i see a youtube movie , i still get shivers down my spine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCCNmp22jw
#19 Posted by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -
When you come outside the first time in unreal, music and graphics are epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pr2jSIOx-0
#20 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

Flight Unlimited.

A company known for immersive FPS/RPG hybrids made hardcore civilian flight sim and not only succeeded at it, but they beat out the Flight SImulator series, which has ruled the market for 15 year.

#21 Posted by scottahuch (1580 posts) -

Mirror's Edge from DICE - A first person parkour based platformer, coming from the makers of Battlefield, very strange :P

Portal from Valve - Just something that's never been done before, or at least it's something I've never seen before. I'm not just talking about the portals themselves, but how the game is played and presented.

#22 Posted by Vesica_Prime (7062 posts) -

Serious Sam: First Encounter by Croteam, a great FPS with an excellent graphics engine for the time made by an unknown developer from Croatia.

#23 Posted by kidcool189 (4307 posts) -

[QUOTE="Basinboy"]

jg4xchamp

But weapons in uncharted are just a bunch of cliche military weapons compared to all the wacky & fun weapons of R & C.:(

#24 Posted by lowkey254 (5904 posts) -

Demon Souls. I was playing it before it was big. #hipster

#25 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
The original Riddick.
#26 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

I dunno why, but Rockstar Table Tennis instantly came to mind.

I could probably do a lot better than that....

arkephonic

Angel seems to make quality games in very diverse genres. From Table Tennis to racers like Midtown Madness and Midnight Club to Red Dead Redemption.

Edit* Now San Diego (Rockstar)

#27 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38208 posts) -

for me it's Mirror's Edge. Total breath of fresh air and one of the best games I played

#28 Posted by with_teeth26 (6020 posts) -

Space Marine from Relic who have always been an RTS dev.

The upcoming Shootmania from Nadeo who have only ever made racing games.

#29 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17026 posts) -

If Sonic and Mega Man were combined into one, you'd get the awesome platformer, Pulseman, from Game Freak. I think Game Freak needs to take a break from Pokemon, and go back to making platformers like Drill Dozer or a sequel to Pulseman, because they clearly have the talent for it.

#30 Posted by garrett_duffman (10684 posts) -
Naughty dog: Going from Crash Bandicoot to uncharted Insomniac: From cute lil' spyro to decapitating humans in resistance 3 Sega: Anything they made ever to shadow the hedgehog
#31 Posted by cainetao11 (16595 posts) -
Vanquish.
#32 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

The original Riddick. fernandmondego_
Well it's made by a company that was founded by Vin Diesel, not exactly surprising that they starred him :P. It is surprising that it's good though.

#33 Posted by G-Lord (2133 posts) -

MDK 2 from Bioware.

#34 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -
Mindjack. it single handedly made Square and Irrelevant publisher.dev, especially on consoles, which is why you never see many if any new Ips. Square no longer exists.
#35 Posted by rzepak (5758 posts) -
#36 Posted by wewantdoom4now (2085 posts) -

painkiller was awesome unknown developer making a quality game as their first game.

Then epicgames gobbled them up bought em out and ruined the company.

#37 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

RAGE i was suprised ID made a game that sucked

#38 Posted by rumbalumba (2880 posts) -

[QUOTE="rumbalumba"]

here's my piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Zs9DJon6g&feature=related

from Polyphony, makers of the GT franchise.

awesome game too.

rzepak

lol was gonna come in and say that the only one that surprised me was Omega Boost=)

i mean, going from Gran Turismo 1 to Omega Boost? that's like the most unexpected game to make after a racing game. the two don't have anything in common at all.

and yeah, this is the original ZoE. take that, Kojima.

#39 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. I mean why can't they just make an epic platform game with both of them in it? It'd be awesome seeing Nintendo's take on handling Sonic.

#40 Posted by ToastRider11 (2573 posts) -

Batman Arkham Asylum by Rocksteady. I have no idea what games they made before batman. Were they even around?

Obisidian who did Fallout New Vegas. Was weird they did Neverwinter Nights 2 and KOTOR 2. They usually develop Bioware sequels not Bethesda.

#41 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"] Sega: Anything they made ever to shadow the hedgehog

do not bring up the one that shan't be named :x
#42 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
also can i say nintendo and the shift to casual gaming? come on, it caught everyone off guard. came out of nowhere, blew everyone's minds.
#43 Posted by Vesica_Prime (7062 posts) -

Batman Arkham Asylum by Rocksteady. I have no idea what games they made before batman. Were they even around?

Obisidian who did Fallout New Vegas. Was weird they did Neverwinter Nights 2 and KOTOR 2. They usually develop Bioware sequels not Bethesda.

ToastRider11

Loads of the guys at Obsidian Entertainment were ex-Black Isle Studio developers who worked on Fallout 1 and 2.

#44 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4707 posts) -

Nintendo making a new IP (pandoras tower)

#45 Posted by hakanakumono (27455 posts) -

RE:Revelations.

Who knew something reminiscent of the original games would have come from Capcom.

#46 Posted by apollo1980 (159 posts) -

I'll go with dice bringing out mirrors edge, which was bloody fantastic. Now can we have a sequel announced please...

#47 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

Nintendo making a new IP (pandoras tower)

HaloinventedFPS
lol, of all the new nintendo IPs, the one that's not leaving japan is the one you pick?
#48 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
Dead Island, one of the best zombie games( if not the best).
#49 Posted by garrett_duffman (10684 posts) -
Dead Island, one of the best zombie games( if not the best).lbjkurono23
you mean left 4 dead island?
#50 Posted by evildead6789 (7271 posts) -
Dead Island, one of the best zombie games( if not the best).lbjkurono23
Dead island is the best zombie game ever made, i made a review of it and gave it a ten.