Name a series that doesn't follow a predictable formula?

• 89 results
#1 Posted by drekula2 (3249 posts) -
  1. A series which has had more than 3 entries
  2. Which meaningfully changes the formula every so often

This is because I often see comments like "Zelda is stuck to the formula from ALTTP" and "All the Assassin Creed games are the same". What series DON'T suffer from this problem? Halo and GTA certainly do.

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

Whats the point ?

If different formulas is what you're after then thats what different games are for....

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

And its not a "Problem"

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (44525 posts) -

Dynasty Warriors.

#8 Posted by TheEroica (14618 posts) -

My issue isn't with games behaving the same way within their own franchise, it's games behaving exactly like other franchises that is starting to get stale and uninspired.

#9 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19628 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid. Each iteration is quite a step up from the last.

#10 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4355 posts) -

The main Mario series doesn't

#11 Posted by blangenakker (2644 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls? Red Faction? Xcom? The Oddworld games? Burnout?

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

@geniobastardo

That translation doesn't make sense...... Do you not speak Lulu well ?

#14 Posted by drekula2 (3249 posts) -

I guess I should clarify some things. Its definitely okay for a series to share a gameplay engine and to have common motifs, but in IP's based in story and adventure, there should be changes made in each game so that each game has a distinct personality and isn't predictable.

The best example of this is Zelda: Majora's Mask. Yes, there are still dungeons, bosses, swordfighting and items. But the story is completely different, the structure and setting are completely different and the game surprises you in ways that no other game in the series has.

Compare that to the majority of other Zelda games which recycle the same plot and similar setting.

#15 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19034 posts) -

@drekula2

Thats all just window dressing... What about the gameplay ?

#16 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5665 posts) -

Need For Speed.

Underground, Carbon, Pro Steet, Nitro, Hot Pursuit felt nothing alike. Of course, taking inspiration will hapeen, such as Criterion's NFS games after HP. But the point is, in general, NFS games manage to feel different from each other overall.

Assassins Creed lately.

3 felt different, in a bad way, from previous AC games, which to me did feel identical. Black Flag felt more like a pirate game than an AC game. And Unity, while looking cleary AC-ish, does give off this vibe that it's going more for a "parkour warrior" than a "parkou assassin" thing.

There are others, but in general, the point of a series is to make it feel like it's predecessors. COD was simply a special case that drawned alot of hate due to it's massive sucess. Ofcourse, there was the issue that the game balance was broken as killstreaks and weapon attachments got worse and worse. Then there's the hipsters who hate on it to seem cool. But that's abit off-topic.

TC, you seem to like Uncharted, but even that series doesn't change much. All UC games play the same overall, and UC4 is likely to aswell. Even TLOU feels so much like UC.

In short, aslong as the game's good, doesn't get milked to fuck, like every year, or atleast has something new, it's all good IMHO. Hell, even i can admit Advanced Warfare looks very fresh from the IP's point of view.

#17 Posted by always_explicit (3132 posts) -

Im hoping to be able to add far cry to this list shortly.

#18 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Metal Gear I think. Each game plays very differently to each other but have similar elements.

#19 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Someone just said Oddworld. I agree with him.

#20 Posted by hiphops_savior (8079 posts) -
  • Final Fantasy
  • Mario
  • Warcraft

#21 Posted by faizan_faizan (7868 posts) -

GTA.

#22 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6750 posts) -

Metal Gear has vast changes for every iteration.

#23 Edited by MlauTheDaft (4625 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

My issue isn't with games behaving the same way within their own franchise, it's games behaving exactly like other franchises that is starting to get stale and uninspired.

This.

It's a damn shame that games are so much alike these days.

#24 Edited by Krelian-co (13149 posts) -

Metal Gear

Final Fantasy

#25 Posted by Suppaman100 (4443 posts) -

Metal gear solid.

Kojima lets the franchise evolve. Something where Zelda fails miserably.

#26 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (6426 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

I guess I should clarify some things. Its definitely okay for a series to share a gameplay engine and to have common motifs, but in IP's based in story and adventure, there should be changes made in each game so that each game has a distinct personality and isn't predictable.

The best example of this is Zelda: Majora's Mask. Yes, there are still dungeons, bosses, swordfighting and items. But the story is completely different, the structure and setting are completely different and the game surprises you in ways that no other game in the series has.

Compare that to the majority of other Zelda games which recycle the same plot and similar setting.

Like TWW, TAoL, PH, ST, SS, MC, LA, OoA and OoS...

#27 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

Kirby stared doing different things after Kirby 64.

Although its gone back to its more traditional roots as of recently with Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe.

#28 Posted by AdrianWerner (28228 posts) -

Ultima is the most obvious example. I don't think any series changed this much through it's life.

#29 Edited by Gue1 (11596 posts) -

Final Fantasy changed a lot from FF1-9 to FF10. And then again changed a lot with FF11 and again with 12 and again with 13. This is why this franchise's fanbase is so all over the place nowadays. Square instead of making new IP's with the new ideas like they did back in the day, now they just keep depending on the name to sell games. This is the worst kind of milking if you ask me because all the changes were for the worse. They ruined the franchise.

#30 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26992 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Final Fantasy changed a lot from FF1-9 to FF10. And then again changed a lot with FF11 and again with 12 and again with 13. This is why this franchise's fanbase is so all over the place nowadays. Square instead of making new IP's with the new ideas like they did back in the day, now they just keep depending on the name to sell games. This is the worst kind of milking if you ask me because all the changes were for the worse. They ruined the franchise.

hasint FF always been about doing different things in each incarnation. They didint ruin it you just didint like those incarnations of the FF series. You could always end up liking one again down the road.Like you said thats why the fanbase is all over the place.

#32 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16666 posts) -

mass effect.(lool)

@Floppy_Jim said:

Someone just said Oddworld. I agree with him.

Definitely.

#33 Edited by heguain (701 posts) -

Resident evil...maybe. PoP? I dunno..Let's say PoP.

#34 Posted by Blabadon (28932 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid is an easy answer.

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (91108 posts) -

Final Fantasy is the only one I can think of. The only thing most of them share is a name.

#36 Edited by KungfuKitten (21538 posts) -

I find that MGS games tend to change a lot.
I'm not the first.

Divinity? Or do they have only 3?

Some Nintendo IP's change in weird ways every now and then. (Including Zelda, actually.) But they also have a lot of iterations that are very similar.

#37 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29911 posts) -

Final Fantasy

#38 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3858 posts) -

Sonic comes to mind. They seem to like trying different things with that series, which I gotta give credit for.

#39 Posted by fgjnfgh (2633 posts) -

You either have a trilogy game much like Mass Effect, same formula, added improvement to game play or story. Or you'd have a bigger series within it spin offs and main games like Pokemon for example or Zelda. I know what you're trying to say, you're looking for a game that is first a FPS then on the second sequel totally changes to RPG and third sequel to RTS. Yeh this never happens. RE games never kept the formula after CV

#40 Edited by turtlethetaffer (17223 posts) -

As in each entry is radically different from the last? I can't think of one.

#41 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

Xeno series.

#42 Posted by Telekill (5272 posts) -

Why fix what isn't broken?

#43 Posted by inb4uall (6548 posts) -

Saintsrow. Lets give everyone freaking super powers.... wut

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (62633 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Metal gear solid.

Kojima lets the franchise evolve. Something where Zelda fails miserably.

Every Zelda game has been different and evolved. Your complaint is meaningless.

#45 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2745 posts) -
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

The main Mario series doesn't

^^^^

#46 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1454 posts) -

@drekula2: Starfox? Batman Arkham games, though Knight is technically the 3rd so I don't know if you count it. Donkey Kong changed it up, Metroid has also from 2D to the 3D Primes.

#47 Posted by smashed_pinata (3290 posts) -

People saying Metal gear confuses me....MGS 3/4 and soon to be 5 seem to play pretty similarly...what's changed in the last 10 years???? I'm talking meaningful changes, not a new lick of paint.

#48 Posted by Ribnarak (2299 posts) -

super mario 64, sunshine, galaxy.

ALL very different imo.

#49 Edited by parkurtommo (28034 posts) -

So, you're basically asking: Which game with 3 or more iterations doesn't follow a formula. None, because that would be fucking ridiculous and pointless.

Anyone saying otherwise isn't even considering the question at hand.

#50 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

@blangenakker said:

The Oddworld games?

Fantastic example