Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

You just won't know until you buy the damn thing. It's like playing the lottery. Why isn't this talked about at all?! TN are cheaper to produce and people are paying the same IPS or not. Just a PSA for those thinking about getting the XL.

reddit post

Gaf post

Quick notes-

*Standard n3DS are never IPS

*Bottom screen for all units are TN

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Wait, they manufacture it with two different top panels, charge the same and give no indication as to which one you will get before you open the box?

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legend002

@nyadc: Apparent so. I was shocked myself and had to take out my Zelda MM n3DS XL to check if it was the cheap TN model or not. Thank god it wasn't.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@nyadc: Apparent so. I was shocked myself and had to take out my Zelda MM n3DS XL to check if it was the cheap TN model or not. Thank god it wasn't.

That's messed up...

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The differences are pretty different right away. My laptop is a pretty decent TN panel but the monitor I use for it is IPS and much better.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I just found this out the other day when trying to decide if I wanted a n3ds (pokemon 20th) or the xl model. It's pretty cruddy of nintendo. Customer service also says there is no difference in screens on any models. Thing is, it's not advertised as being either or. Still cruddy.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

This is pretty old news, but yeah, you just have to hope you get lucky.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Who cares? The N3DS XL destroys the Vita, so stop trying to slander it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Yeah, this was known since last year. I got lucky, got an IPS panel.

Hoping for some standardization with the NX handheld.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

How can you tell?

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

And I was thinking about buying a New 3DS XL lately... this makes me so mad, seriously. WTF Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Bigboi500 said:

How can you tell?

Turn the 3D off, and look at the screen side on. The image should still be visible. TN panels break down into negatives when viewed from those angles.

@aia89 said:

And I was thinking about buying a New 3DS XL lately... this makes me so mad, seriously. WTF Nintendo.

You should get one still, anyway, it's worth it.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I got a TN Majoras Mask N3DS XL. Definitely put a damper on the excitement of getting it, but nothing I could really do about it.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aia89

@charizard1605 said:
@Bigboi500 said:

How can you tell?

Turn the 3D off, and look at the screen side on. The image should still be visible. TN panels break down into negatives when viewed from those angles.

@aia89 said:

You should get one still, anyway, it's worth it.

And then return it if I got a TN display? Seriously, it's not like type a and type b differ in price, it's so shady of Nintendo to do it. Aren't one's money who got a TN as good as someone else's money who got an IPS??

This is so anti-consumer of Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aia89: Oh, I agree, they messed up there, there should be standardization.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

Thank you OP for the heads up.

I didn't know about that, that's so shitty of Nintendo.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By aia89

The difference is pretty big:

Loading Video...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Shitty no doubt, but Nintendo's not the only one to do this. IIRC, Sony did this with the PSP or Vita.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

That's really crappy, what the hell is wrong with Nintendo. Why can't they all be the same, is this to make more money off the TN models, rip off pricks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77 said:

Shitty no doubt, but Nintendo's not the only one to do this. IIRC, Sony did this with the PSP or Vita.

PSP.

Vita has consistent screen types.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aia89

@MirkoS77 said:

Shitty no doubt, but Nintendo's not the only one to do this.

so that excuses them from randomly treating their customers inequally?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No idea what my 3ds screen is. Don't really care. Hasn't bothered me so far.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@aia89 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Shitty no doubt, but Nintendo's not the only one to do this.

so that excuses them from randomly treating their customers inequally?

No, just a statement of fact.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

PSP.

i thought the vita had an oled and a non-oled one?

So whats the deal, is IPS still being made? unlike OLED vitas?

was thinking of getting another 3DS ...

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

@MBirdy88: It's a matter of luck apparently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MBirdy88 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

PSP.

i thought the vita had an oled and a non-oled one?

So whats the deal, is IPS still being made? unlike OLED vitas?

was thinking of getting another 3DS ...

Okay, so let me clarify:

Vita has two versions- the original Vita, and Vita 2000, also called Vita Slim. The original Vita came with an OLED screen panel, and is no longer in production (and also extremely hard to get now, at least brand new); the thing with the Vita is, as long as you know what model you are purchasing (which you should, it's written on the box), you know what screen type you'll have- all original PS Vita systems have an OLED screen; all PS Vita 2000 systems have an LCD screen. It's simple.

The 3DS is more messy. There are five 3DS models on the market- the 3DS, the 3DS XL, the 2DS, the New 3DS, and the New 3DS XL. The 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, and New 3DS all come with TN screens, so they're not a concern here. What is a concern is that New 3DS XL models seem to be a mix- some of them come with an IPS panel for the top screen, while others come with a TN panel for the top screen. There is no differentiation between the packaging of an IPS 3DS XL and a TN 3DS XL on the box, and it's not even a difference that is acknowledged by Nintendo, so there's no way to know which one you are getting until you actually buy yours, take it home, and open it up. The split seems to be even across all production batches, meaning even saying something like 'buy a new batch, and you're guaranteed to get an IPS panel' or 'buy an older batch, and you'll get an IPS panel' is ineffective in this case. The worst part is, you're paying $200 for your New 3DS XL no matter what- and it's the luck of draw as to which screen type you get.

So if you do want to buy another 3DS, the best thing to do to avoid the headache is to either:

• Get a standard sized New 3DS;
  • Ignore the IPS/TN difference entirely, and buy a New XL without worrying about this at all;
  • Buy a New XL, check to see if it has an IPS panel, and if it doesn't, return it till you get one with an IPS panel

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

So does this effect the image quality/resolution/etc at all or is it just a "cheap v. expensive" difference?

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aia89

@foxhound_fox said:

So does this effect the image quality/resolution/etc at all or is it just a "cheap v. expensive" difference?

It does effect the image quality at a screen level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@foxhound_fox said:

Resolution is constant, but image quality is affected. TN screens give more washed out colors with worse reproduction of blacks, as well as lower viewing angles, than IPS panels; the problem is compounded when you consider that color reproduction, light saturation, and viewing angles are important to the 3D effect.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Never knew about this. Something to look for when i buy a new 3dsxl. I probably won't gie a damn enough to take it back if I get Tn.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@aia89 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

What do you mean exactly? Are the colours different straight on? Is it like LCD v. LED on monitors? One is washed out while the other is more saturated?

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aia89

@foxhound_fox said:
@aia89 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

What do you mean exactly? Are the colours different straight on? Is it like LCD v. LED on monitors? One is washed out while the other is more saturated?

Refer to what Charizard just said, it explains everything.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

IPS screen in computer monitor world is a big deal, TN is crappier with poorer viewing angles and washed out colors. TN is the lowest of the low, cheapest of the cheap. If you are buying a laptop or a PC monitor it's well known to avoid a TN panel. IPS screens are generally (if not universally) better.

The resolution can be exactly the same regardless of the type of panel, so it's not about resolution. I'm pretty sure this has to do with stuff like viewing angles, brightness, colors, contract, etc. Some or all of those things should be better on the IPS.

I have an 3DS XL and have always thought the screen is pretty bad, so I guess the fact that they are all TN screens explains that. (this was news to me). Unfortunately I've never see the IPS version of the new 3DS XL, so I don't know how much the difference would be. But there are all kinds of differences with computer monitor screens, so I could buy that even on a small screen it would be enough to be noticable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@2Chalupas said:
@foxhound_fox said:

IPS screen in computer monitor world is a big deal, TN is crappier with poorer viewing angles and washed out colors. TN is the lowest of the low, cheapest of the cheap. If you are buying a laptop or a PC monitor it's well known to avoid a TN panel. IPS screens are generally (if not universally) better.

The resolution can be exactly the same regardless of the type of panel, so it's not about resolution. I'm pretty sure this has to do with stuff like viewing angles, brightness, colors, contract, etc. Some or all of those things should be better on the IPS.

I have an 3DS XL and have always thought the screen is pretty bad, so I guess the fact that they are all TN screens explains that. (this was news to me). Unfortunately I've never see the IPS version of the new 3DS XL, so I don't know how much the difference would be. But there are all kinds of differences with computer monitor screens, so I could buy that even on a small screen it would be enough to be noticable.

The difference is pretty noticeable (you can check the video aia posted above to see). Going from the old, launch 3DS models to the New 3DS XL was almost literally eye opening.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 aia89

@2Chalupas said:
@foxhound_fox said:

It indeed is noticeable. I have a N3DS and the viewing angle is pretty poor; in contrast my DS light's viewing angle is perfect. That's pretty ironic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aia89 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@foxhound_fox said:

It indeed is noticeable. I have a N3DS and the viewing angle is pretty poor; in contrast my DS light's viewing angle is perfect. That's pretty ironic.

The DS Lite also uses a TN panel, however. The poor viewing angles on the 3DS are endemic to the parallax barriers that the system and screens use to generate the autostereoscopic 3D effect.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aia89

@charizard1605 said:
@aia89 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@foxhound_fox said:

The DS Lite also uses a TN panel, however. The poor viewing angles on the 3DS are endemic to the parallax barriers that the system and screens use to generate the autostereoscopic 3D effect.

I guess, but the difference is really noticeable. It's not a BIG issue because in the end you just play the game with the screens directed to your eyes, but it still bothers me that Nintendo sells an inferior batch at the same price!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aia89 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@aia89 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@foxhound_fox said:

I guess, but the difference is really noticeable. It's not a BIG issue because in the end you just play the game with the screens directed to your eyes, but it still bothers me that Nintendo sells an inferior batch at the same price!

Yep, it's pretty shitty, no doubt. If they had a specific serial model number or batch number or something that differentiated the IPS ones from the TN ones, I'd still find it excusable, but this is pretty shady, no doubt.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Wow, I had no idea this was happening. It looks like my 3DS has the bad screen. I noticed the viewing angle was rather poor when I got it, I just thought that's how the console works.

Damn. That sucks.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Legend002

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Wow, I had no idea this was happening. It looks like my 3DS has the bad screen. I noticed the viewing angle was rather poor when I got it, I just thought that's how the console works.

Damn. That sucks.

More like less desired than bad. TN got advantages too.

unreal223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 unreal223
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts

Interesting. I got my Gray N3dsXL on launch from gamestop. I'm pretty sure it has the IPS screen because the viewing angle is pretty good. I use 2 dell IPS monitors and my laptop has one as well so I'm pretty insistent on having IPS screens on my devices when possible. It sucks that they are using the parts interchangeably without telling us. I would not have been happy to have the lower quality screen. However I've also never looked at my 3ds and just thought how great the screen is. I'm don't play games on 3ds for the graphic or screen fidelity so if I hadn't known there was a difference I'm not sure I would care. Sometimes its hard to go from looking at my iphone 6 plus to the screen on my 3ds. :(

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

When you look for a gaming monitor you get advised both TN and IPS panels. I think mostly TN even. TN is used because it has much better response times and is cheaper but worse viewing angles and worse color reproduction. I don't like the color dissipation on larger screens (22'+) on the bottom or top even when you sit in front of it, so I bought an IPS monitor one time and the ghosting drove me nuts. I couldn't read anybody's name while the camera was moving. So I will probably never get a normal IPS monitor for gaming again. Right now I have something in between, the Eizo Foris 2333. It's a special IPS monitor that has just a bit of ghosting and still decent viewing angles.

IPS would probably be better for the 3DS because there are not many games with fast moving objects plus you might play with the screen at an angle because it has 2 screens, but I wonder whether the TN screen has less ghosting/motion blur (trail left behind by fast moving objects) than the IPS panel?

Companies switch out components all the time throughout a product's life cycle to lower the production cost. But if it has a large impact on the performance or quality, that should not happen. I hope the people who have a problem with this return to the shop fast enough. Maybe take a good video with you to the store that shows the problem.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Dafuq? Had no idea, that sucks! People should know what they're paying for.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

The hell, And they're charging the same price? Wow that is F'ed up.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Lucky places like the UK you can take stuff back to the shops no questions asked, keep doing it until you get the right one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Different manufacturing plants?

Regardless of the cause it's pretty uncool

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

Wow this is really not nice of Nintendo. I got lucky with my MH4U New 3DS (IPS) but have been cursed with an unresponsive C-stick that has been badly damaged due to intense sessions on Monster Hunter. Win some, lose some!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This is the kind of nitpicky stuff that makes me hate gaming sometimes.

I can see the screen, I can still play the game, who gives an honest shit if the colors are washed out or not? I grew up playing Gameboy and I swear some of you had a Gamegear or a Nomad growing up.

Now if the system had cheap buttons that would regularly fail THAT would be the issue I would get behind, but it looks like you guys are complaining about screens. Same shit that Sony did with their Vitas.