N3DS with no AC adapter? N3DS new Wii U

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

The U.S. version of the N3ds won't come with a charger, and of course, that means only a few possibilities.

1 is that the Nintendo is giving up on 3DS expansion in the market, and expect normal 3DS owners just to shift over. Except, we know that they actually made the N3ds to expand the market so the drugs here are a bit strong.

2nd is it cuts off almost all potential new new3ds buyers from coming in. I mean you're buying a N3dS Xl for the same price or similar price to the others if not a bit more, and you are not having anything to charge it with out the box. bet money only few parents will buy a charger separately and will return it if they buy it, in fact, best most store reps won't realize that there's no charger in the box for awhile unless the staff is a gamer or maybe if they buy it from Gamestop.

3rd is it cuts the chance of high software sales, meaning N3ds is pretty much DOA. Even if they launch a new Pokemon it will sell minimal at best for all the above reasons. I mean the decisions here are mind numbing.

4th and last let's not forget that now they have 4 3DS platforms, one removes features from games and one will have a few games that won't work on it (retail wise). 3DS/XL, 2DS, N3DS. While I know there are talks of cutting out regular 3DS the confusion is still there. they now have to somehow market this and to avoid lawsuits they may also have to have someone who talks very fast say that ACadapeternotincludedsoldseparately in commercials.

I means the N3dS American launch is a disaster, even Europe is treated slightly better, although I don't know their situation on the AC adapter, but of course even they will run into the same problems and the 3DS market there is SMALLER than NA by nearly 3x so uh very weird.

Some people blame reggie but people need to realize that NOA can't make any decisions without dictator greenlike from NintendoHQ and in a lot of cases Iwata himself. Seems like it was there decision.

HELL this may be WORSE THAN THE WII U difference being that at least the 3DS already sold some units but it won't be getting bigger, just people leaving and getting replaced or the more likely, SOME people just moving over to N3ds.

It will be a catastrophe mark my words.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Europe didn't get a charger with the XL either.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46230 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

In fact it was supposed to come to the US too without a charger, until Nintendo got heavy criticism for that.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

lol you're really reaching on this. The charger from the DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DSXL etc. all work with New 3DS. There's chargers all over the place. Its not the end of the world that they are not selling a charger. Besides they will have chargers for people who want a new one right next to the 3DS machines. I'm sure every store clerk will be told to push the adapters too.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TigerSuperman

@freedomfreak said:

**** Nintendo.

@bunchanumbers said:

lol you're really reaching on this. The charger from the DS, DSi, 3DS, 3DSXL etc. all work with New 3DS. There's chargers all over the place. Its not the end of the world that they are not selling a charger. Besides they will have chargers for people who want a new one right next to the 3DS machines. I'm sure every store clerk will be told to push the adapters too.

The DS charger can't even work on the other DS systems and you think it works on the DS? Proves you know nothing.

But you also prove my point as well, it screws their plans for expanding the market, which already has some confusion, by making it more confusing and unnecessary. You act like no charge isn't a big deal yet clearly you have no grasp on reality. For one new customers will be cut out and I can see multiple returns.

2nd, uh, what makes you think ALL 3DS owners will move to the N3ds? in fact, that would change nothing about Nintendos situation even if they did. No one is reaching you're just insane. People are not going to be jus buying adapters separately, especially parents who have kids, or themselves, have brough nintendo handhelds before, or Just the 3DS.

@R4gn4r0k said:

@freedomfreak said:

In fact it was supposed to come to the US too without a charger, until Nintendo got heavy criticism for that.

Judging from recent news the U.S. still won't get an ac adapter so not sure what you are saying.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So TC is just pulling shit out of his ass?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@TigerSuperman said:

**** Nintendo.

Loading Video...

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@TigerSuperman: the ds and 3ds uses the same charger.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

USB chargers are superior and you can just get an adapter to plug it into a wall.

Like, is it the 1990's? What phones these days come with an AC adapter?

dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

its f***** up alright.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

I agree that it's a pretty dickish move to sell an electronic device without a charger. That's some pro-milking right there! Sony would be proud Ninty! :P

That said, I don't think it's an insta-doom scenario either TC. The 3DS XL didn't come with one in Europe too and did just fine I think.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

USB chargers are superior and you can just get an adapter to plug it into a wall.

I have/had a USB charger for my DS Lite when I first moved to England and it did not let me down.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Bought an iphone6 the other week, it came with one.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I got the Monster Hunter bundle pre-ordered and all paid for. It's a good thing I already have 3 other chargers I can use.

Need a charger? One could be yours for the price of $1.54 + shipping.
http://www.eachmall.com/goods-18064-18064.html?gclid=CJz23v6AlMMCFQmNaQodvqwAtg

So much for the doom and gloom TC.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Previous AC adapters will work with it so no problem for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

3DS systems haven't come with chargers since... The XL? And they've done just fine. I agree it's a dickish move, but there are 85 million DSi and 3DS systems out there, you likely own one of them and can use its charger.

But by all means, keep stretching.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I just wish the new 3DS had a micro USB port instead of whatever it has right now

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

3DS systems haven't come with chargers since... The XL? And they've done just fine. I agree it's a dickish move, but there are 85 million DSi and 3DS systems out there, you likely own one of them and can use its charger.

Wasn't the 3DS XL the last DS made (not counting New 3DS)? I think mine came with a charger.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Bought an iphone6 the other week, it came with one.

An AC adapter or a USB charge cable with a wall adapter?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

LOL Nintendo's hardware business is dying and they're trying to speed up the process.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

LOL Nintendo's hardware business is dying and they're trying to speed up the process.

3DS is dying?

You're sure you're not talking about the Vita?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Are people actually defending this? I mean, for real? I'll ask a third time: SERIOUSLY?!

Sheepspot at its best...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@PonchoTaco said:

@charizard1605 said:

Wasn't the 3DS XL the last DS made (not counting New 3DS)? I think mine came with a charger.

2DS as well.

Actually, I just looked it up, and it looks like both models did launch with chargers in the US- everywhere else in the world, 3DS units haven't had chargers since 2012.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b0367b217732
@charizard1605 said:

2DS as well.

Actually, I just looked it up, and it looks like both models did launch with chargers in the US- everywhere else in the world, 3DS units haven't had chargers since 2012.

I can confirm that the 2DS does come with a charger. At least in Europe it does, I bought one for my cousin recently.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

No big deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@hernandezzzz said:
@charizard1605 said:

2DS as well.

I can confirm that the 2DS does come with a charger. At least in Europe it does, I bought one for my cousin recently.

Okay, can you confirm about 3DS XL as well? I'm getting conflicting ideas by looking this up online lol.

Look, this sucks, I'm not going to defend it, it's about as bad as the Vita Memory Cards bullshit. So go ahead and hate Nintendo on this, it's justified.

But I can only speak for myself, I've got like three of those chargers lying around, which is why personally, it's not gonna bother me.

You know what does bother me? The fact that we aren't getting the smaller New 3DS, that's the one I wanted :/

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Who knew the exclusion of a $15 AC adapter could decimate the sales of a new product.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib

@charizard1605 said:

@hernandezzzz said:
@charizard1605 said:

2DS as well.

Okay, can you confirm about 3DS XL as well? I'm getting conflicting ideas by looking this up online lol.

Look, this sucks, I'm not going to defend it, it's about as bad as the Vita Memory Cards bullshit. So go ahead and hate Nintendo on this, it's justified.

okay that can't even be close to true

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

3DS is dying?

You're sure you're not talking about the Vita?

Have you seen 3DS sales outside of Japan lately? Very low for a Nintendo handheld at this stage of its life and its on track to be their worst selling to date. The whole point of this new 3DS is to have a re-launch of sorts and try to give it another big push but they've already fucked it up by not including a charger and only offering a $200 model. It will be DOA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b0367b217732

@charizard1605 said:

But I can only speak for myself, I've got like three of those chargers lying around, which is why personally, it's not gonna bother me.

You know what does bother me? The fact that we aren't getting the smaller New 3DS, that's the one I wanted :/

If I remember correctly, my XL did not come with a charger. That's why I bought the cradle.

And yeah, if I were to get a New 3DS, it would be the smaller one. Dem faceplates...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@hernandezzzz said:
@charizard1605 said:

2DS as well.

You need a charger to use your 3DS. At least you can still power on your Vita without a Memory Card.

A Memory Card and a charger both cost $15 at their cheapest. It's a bullshit hidden cost. The only saving grace for Nintendo here is that between DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS, there are 85 million of these out there.

Like I said, this doesn't affect me, but it is pretty shady regardless.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TigerSuperman

@lostrib said:

Uh what? it was just announced, even the website some people love maybe too much on here is talking about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971447&page=2

but then Lostrib never does actually research to someone else does for him not surprised.

@foxhound_fox said:

That line of thinking does not work with casuals, you think they all realize they can do that? (if they can?)

@wiiboxstation said:

@TigerSuperman: the ds and 3ds uses the same charger.

So either you're lying and the DS original charger does not work, or that the DSI and DSlite chargers won't work, which one?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@hernandezzzz said:

@charizard1605 said:

If I remember correctly, my XL did not come with a charger. That's why I bought the cradle.

And yeah, if I were to get a New 3DS, it would be the smaller one. Dem faceplates...

Yeah :/

That said, the Majora's Mask model looks sexy enough, so I guess that's the one I'll go for.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Aren't the chargers like $10? is this really that big of a deal? Yes, I think it should be included, and extra costs sucks. But really? To say this is going to ruin the 3DS market? C'mon

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TigerSuperman

@Desmonic said:

I agree that it's a pretty dickish move to sell an electronic device without a charger. That's some pro-milking right there! Sony would be proud Ninty! :P

That said, I don't think it's an insta-doom scenario either TC. The 3DS XL didn't come with one in Europe too and did just fine I think.

Uh no it didn't actually. Also Europe as the regular size With the charger looking it up. So uh hmmm.

But whether if it's doom for not it is to be sure that well, expanding won't happen.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TigerSuperman

@charizard1605 said:

@lostrib said:

@charizard1605 said:

@hernandezzzz said:
@charizard1605 said:

2DS as well.

You need a charger to use your 3DS. At least you can still power on your Vita without a Memory Card.

A Memory Card and a charger both cost $15 at their cheapest. It's a bullshit hidden cost. The only saving grace for Nintendo here is that between DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, and 2DS, there are 85 million of these out there.

Like I said, this doesn't affect me, but it is pretty shady regardless.

This will of course prevent expansion, Nitnendo will have to advertise the first set of N3DS exclusive games as well, and it will split the user base. It's a doom scenario, not for 3DS vanishing over night but losing customers and splitting the install base, low software sales are incoming.

@Wild_man_22 said:

Aren't the chargers like $10? is this really that big of a deal? Yes, I think it should be included, and extra costs sucks. But really? To say this is going to ruin the 3DS market? C'mon

You aren't seeing the reality you are thinking like a gamer who follows Nintendo and probably has a 3DS not a casual.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

You guys act like buying a AC Adapter is expensive. Were in 2015 goddammit, everyone should have a damn AC Adapter in this common age. My local Gas Station sells AC Adapter that will work with 3DS just fine and considering Nintendo has never put a DVD drive in there consoles meaning they assume everyone has one, [which is true] this is the same thing with the N3DS, no AC Adapters. Ya'll act like you guys are broke.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib

@TigerSuperman said:

@lostrib said:

Uh what? it was just announced, even the website some people love maybe too much on here is talking about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971447&page=2

but then Lostrib never does actually research to someone else does for him not surprised.

I didn't question if it was being sold without a charger

I meant all the rambling speculation that makes up the majority of your post

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

To be honest, I'm thinking of getting USB charger anyway. Nintendo AC adapters are terrible, you can't even use it overseas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@PonchoTaco said:

@charizard1605 said:

2DS as well.

Ah, yes! I forgot about the 2DS. My niece and nephew both received a 2DS system for Christmas. I saw they were charging them. I assumed they came with the system.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#41 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Desmonic: no they wouldn't, my vita and all the psp's I bought all had chargers.

It's bullshit not having one, Nintendo is dumb for doing this, especially with little kids who it targets. Imagine a kid opening this up at Xmas only to not be able to play because it's dead and there is no charger. Then it being a holiday, all the stores that would sell one closed. I would of hated that as a kid.

And to Foxhound, u know nothing foxhound. My Samsung S5 and iPad mini both came with wall usb charging cords. What phone doesnt? None that I know of. Stop defending a shitty practice. I am sure if this were Sony you would be one of the first to raise a stink about it.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wild_man_22

@TigerSuperman: I'm not seeing the reality? of what exactly? $10? What exactly do you think a casual is? Someone who can't stand the idea of spending an extra $10? If they'll spend $200 on something, what makes you think they won't spend another $10 on a charger?

Do people really think casual gamers are so dumb that they can't accept an extra $10? They are humans, who purchase products just like me. Not some mindless drone who will just return something in anger because of $10. I'm sure a few would be irked, maybe some would return it. But really? Every ''casual'' will return something over an extra $10 expense?

I don't work in retail So I guess I could be wrong on this, but it seems like something that would be highly isolated.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TigerSuperman

@Wild_man_22 said:

@TigerSuperman: I'm not seeing the reality? of what exactly? $10? What exactly do you think a casual is? Someone who can't stand the idea of spending an extra $10? If they'll spend $200 on something, what makes you think they won't spend another $10 on a charger?

Do people really think casual gamers are so dumb that they can't accept an extra $10? They are humans, who purchase products just like me. Not some mindless drone who will just return something in anger because of $10. I'm sure a few would be irked, maybe some would return it. But really? Every ''casual'' will return something over an extra $10 expense?

I don't work in retail So I guess I could be wrong on this, but it seems like something that would be highly isolated.

History doesn't show a trend with casuals they can by a $800 Ipad but won't pay $5 for a back protector. just like most find it horrific that they would nees to pay $10 for security software for their computers and just use the trial pre-packed in version. And won't upgrade when it's time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@TigerSuperman: You are, once again, ignoring that the XL has sold without a charger in Europe for three years, and it has done just fine.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I bought a $600 PS3 that didn't come with an HDMI cable.

Life is crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Corporate apologists : the thread

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Life is crazy.

Which is bad, but you didn't need hdmi for the thing to work now did you?

Besides, component was more used back in 06 than hdmi... know that's not the point but just sayin

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

Wait, systems seriously don't come with a charger?

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wild_man_22

@TigerSuperman: By that logic,why does any smartphone,tablet, or virus protection software sell?To my knowledge you have to pay for screen protectors and cases fora tablet, Smartphone, and a 3DS? If casuals dictate the market, and refuse to pay extra for these things, why are they still around? Someone must be buying them. Could it be be that every consumer is different? and some value the protection and security of their products more than others? Whether they be a casual or a enthusiast?

Again $10...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Chozofication said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Life is crazy.

Which is bad, but you didn't need hdmi for the thing to work now did you?

Besides, component was more used back in 06 than hdmi... know that's not the point but just sayin

You kind of do need the HDMI. At least nowadays you most definitely do.

Also they didn't bundle "component" cables with those consoles in 2005/2006, they used COMPOSITE cables. Which is even dumber because the composite cables are entirely incapable of HD. However I guess it was somewhat understandable that not everyone yet had HDTV when those consoles launched, and like you said at least composite cables were enough to "get started" with - even if the smart thing even way back then would be going to HDMI as soon as possible.

It might seem like a novel idea, but I think any electronic you buy should at least come with everything you need to get going. If you can't even power up the console with what's in the box, that is a mega-fail to me. How can anyone defend that? If you don't have an extra USB charger lying around, as people that use Apple devices might not (I only have a bunch of extra USB chargers because I have android phone and tablet that I actually plug in to charge). What happens when you open the box and find out the 1st thing you need to do isn't the quick start guide, but instead you need to start shopping online for a charger? That's just incredibly stupid, there really is no defense for this and it's YET ANOTHER example of Nintendo counting pennies at the expense of their customers.