My Xbox RROD on me again. Is it worth replacing at this point?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by guard12 (1657 posts) -

This is my 3rd xbox I have gone through since its launch. I am just wondering with the upcoming next gen consoles if it is even worth replacing. Thoughts? Comments?

#2 Posted by clyde46 (46792 posts) -

This is my 3rd xbox I have gone through since its launch. I am just wondering with the upcoming next gen consoles if it is even worth replacing. Thoughts? Comments?

guard12
Call MS, they replace xboxs with the RRoD for free.
#3 Posted by sts106mat (19970 posts) -

guard12
of course.
#4 Posted by Bruce_Benzing (1742 posts) -

With all due respect, I don't think this is the right forum to post this in.

On subject, I would say it depends how much of a library you own and if the Nextbox is Backwards Compatible...

#5 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Lol no wonder the 360 sells that much.
#6 Posted by delta3074 (18498 posts) -

guard12
for starters, what Model do you have becauase i think the old models are still under 3 year warranty so if you purchased it less than 3 years ago you should be able to get a free replacement.
#8 Posted by GamerZem (539 posts) -
Go ahead and replace it, but go with the 360 slim. Doesn't overheat.
#9 Posted by SecretPolice (22439 posts) -

Coincidentally, just had mah 14th PS3 YLOD on me :o Should I replace ? :twisted:

Anyway, color me skeptical since you decided to post in the worst forum if you were really looking for honest opinions about this but with that said, it would seem to make very expensive coasters out of your 360 library of games were you not to replace. :P

#10 Posted by guard12 (1657 posts) -

Coincidentally, just had mah 14th PS3 YLOD on me :o Should I replace ? :twisted:

Anyway, color me skeptical since you decided to post in the worst forum if you were really looking for honest opinions about this but with that said, it would seem to make very expensive coasters out of your 360 library of games were you not to replace. :P

SecretPolice

Haha i realized after I posted this i probs shouldn't have put it in SW. Woops :P And I know the Nextbox will be backwards compatible thats why I am not really too worried about my library for now.

#11 Posted by PAL360 (27005 posts) -

I really hope that my 2008 console (second 360 i got), lasts until Xbox 3 come out. If it RRODs before that, i'll send it to repair, obviously.

#12 Posted by Meeeper282 (1602 posts) -

kill it

#13 Posted by PAL360 (27005 posts) -

Lol no wonder the 360 sells that much.kuraimen

I agree. There are only 10 real 360 users. Their consoles RRODd millions of times :P

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (41381 posts) -
Send it to Microsoft. They'll fix it.
#15 Posted by Gue1 (10398 posts) -

is this your first RRoD? If this is the 3rd one then I think it is time to learn your lesson....

#16 Posted by SecretPolice (22439 posts) -

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

guard12

Haha i realized after I posted this i probs shouldn't have put it in SW. Woops :P And I know the Nextbox will be backwards compatible thats why I am not really too worried about my library for now.

:oops: Sorry if that sounded too harsh and if it's all true, I feel your pain. :? I'm not so sure of the BC on the Next X but eh, I'm hoping MS does it.

As an aside, I've got the 250 gig slim but still have my original April 2006 20 gig 360 and it's still in good working order. :shock: :P

#17 Posted by delta3074 (18498 posts) -

is this your first RRoD? If this is the 3rd one then I think it is time to learn your lesson....

Gue1
Why? i have 3 RRODS but ultimately i will Not jump ship to another console because it'a ll about the Games, i would rather have an unreliable console i can play games i want to on than a super reliable one that has no games that interest me, i went through 5 Ps1's because The other consoles just didn't have the games i wanted on them.
#18 Posted by todd2r_Partdeux (780 posts) -
[QUOTE="guard12"]

clyde46

This^. However, of you wanna buy a new one, go for it. No better time than now. Halo 4 special editions are out there, 250GB holiday bundle is out there. Jesus, now that I think about it, those are some awesome deals. I think I will head out on Black Friday and pick up a couple extra consoles just to help Microsoft. God damn I love Xbox. Maybe I will pick up a couple kinects as well. Nothing brightens my holidays like buying more Microsoft products and burying Sony.
#19 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Send it to Microsoft. They'll fix it.freedomfreak

This.

I shouldn't give up on this gen yet, OP.

Not with GTAV at our doorstep.

#20 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
so pretty much divide microsoft sales by 4 :lol:
#21 Posted by on-sight (19 posts) -

Lol no wonder the 360 sells that much.kuraimen

#22 Posted by Malta_1980 (11437 posts) -

If you game mostly on 360 i guess you'd better get one during the holiday season cosidering the many cheap bundles available..

(Unless you're not interested in other systems like WiiU or building a new PC)

#23 Posted by delta3074 (18498 posts) -
so pretty much divide microsoft sales by 4 :lol:PressXtoJump
Console replaced under the 3 year warranty are not counted as sales, they never where.
#24 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Strange how many problems 360 had. The original Xbox was one of the sturdiest pieces of tech I have ever owned. It still works to this day.

#25 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28019 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Send it to Microsoft. They'll fix it.Sagem28

This.

I shouldn't give up on this gen yet, OP.

Not with GTAV at our doorstep.

Or is there a local store that will fix it? Last time my 360 died cost me $40 and was done in 3 days, worth a couple of calls.
#26 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9293 posts) -

I really hope that my 2008 console (second 360 i got), lasts until Xbox 3 come out. If it RRODs before that, i'll send it to repair, obviously.

PAL360
My June 2008 xbox 360 died beyond repair November 2011, it didn't have any prior RROD malfunctions or anything, it just died beyond repair. I replaced it with a slim on December 2012, it's going strong and I doubt it'd ever break till next-gen Xbox comes out.
#27 Posted by delta3074 (18498 posts) -

Strange how many problems 360 had. The original Xbox was one of the sturdiest pieces of tech I have ever owned. It still works to this day.

edidili
i know it's wierd, my kids still use my launch Xbox, not so much as a DRE unless it's the disks fault, they have kicked it, spilt juice on it and alsorts and it's still kicking, my eldes lad is playing DOA on it at the moment,lol
#28 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Fix it or get a new one, you already have a bunch of 360 games right? It's not worth dumping it

#29 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="PressXtoJump"]so pretty much divide microsoft sales by 4 :lol:delta3074
Console replaced under the 3 year warranty are not counted as sales, they never where.

Many lems don't replace it they buy new ones because they know it will break again anyways. Like the TC.
#30 Posted by lamprey263 (24414 posts) -
3rd Xbox? Do you even try getting the free repair? Or do you keep buying used so that's not an option?
#31 Posted by delta3074 (18498 posts) -
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="PressXtoJump"]so pretty much divide microsoft sales by 4 :lol:kuraimen

Many lems don't replace it they buy new ones because they know it will break again anyways. Like the TC.

so you are saying that some Xbox 360 owners didn't use the 3 year warranty when ther 360's Red ringed, thay went out and spent money when thay had no need to, pull the other one dude, it has bells on it,lol
#32 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

I would've quit on the 360 entirely after the 2nd one.

#33 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28019 posts) -
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="PressXtoJump"]so pretty much divide microsoft sales by 4 :lol:kuraimen

Link to your extensive investigation on this?
#34 Posted by sts106mat (19970 posts) -

lol, even if that were the case and they were prepared to buy yet another console even knowing it will break, it shows that xbox is the better choice for games, otherwise why wouldn't they just give up and get a ps3?
#35 Posted by delta3074 (18498 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="delta3074"]Console replaced under the 3 year warranty are not counted as sales, they never where.sts106mat

lol, even if that were the case and they were prepared to buy yet another console even knowing it will break, it shows that xbox is the better choice for games, otherwise why wouldn't they just give up and get a ps3?

Exactly, the fact that people would rather go out and buy an unreliable console speaks volumes about the Ps3 i would rather have a console that breaks than buy a ps3, lol
#36 Posted by sts106mat (19970 posts) -
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Many lems don't replace it they buy new ones because they know it will break again anyways. Like the TC.

Exactly, the fact that people would rather go out and buy an unreliable console speaks volumes about the Ps3 i would rather have a console that breaks than buy a ps3, lol

my brother (PC gamer) just bought a PS3, i asked him why, he said, "blu-ray player "
#37 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

If Nextbox is BC and you still have that PS3 laying around why not just play on that till next gen? Though of course, we don't know if it's actually going to be BC... By the time the nextbox launches, even if it's not BC, 360's should be so cheap by then you could easily maintain your library.

#38 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="sts106mat"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Many lems don't replace it they buy new ones because they know it will break again anyways. Like the TC.

Yeah it says they are not very bright...
#39 Posted by PAL360 (27005 posts) -

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

Salt_The_Fries

My June 2008 xbox 360 died beyond repair November 2011, it didn't have any prior RROD malfunctions or anything, it just died beyond repair. I replaced it with a slim on December 2012, it's going strong and I doubt it'd ever break till next-gen Xbox comes out.

Yeah, the slim models seem very reliable, but i son't want to get a new console unless it's Xbox 3 or PS4.

I really doubt that my old 360 lasts one more year, though. I have been playing alot, especially since Skyrim came out. Then ME3 and Minecraft came out. Now i can't stop playing Halo 4 and GTAV is not that far away. It will probably explode soon :P

#40 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Have you actually paid to replace them? All 360's ship with a three year warranty to cover RROD. Full replacement too. Check the manufacture date and then call MS CS. You shouldn't have to pay anything. If it is past the date, then yes, you should replace it if you want to keep playing the games; there is no guarantee the next console is going to be backwards compatible.
#41 Posted by madskills6117 (4023 posts) -

I'm on my 4th 360 since launch due to the RROD. That being said, each time it was covered under warranty so I sent it back to MS for a replacement aka a refurb (which adds to the problem). I've had my current for a few years but it's starting to make grinding noises since I picked up Halo 4 so more then likely this one will die eventually. Just hoping this bad boy holds out until the new xbox is out.

#42 Posted by PlazmaClone (249 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="guard12"]

todd2r_Partdeux

This^. However, of you wanna buy a new one, go for it. No better time than now. Halo 4 special editions are out there, 250GB holiday bundle is out there. Jesus, now that I think about it, those are some awesome deals. I think I will head out on Black Friday and pick up a couple extra consoles just to help Microsoft. God damn I love Xbox. Maybe I will pick up a couple kinects as well. Nothing brightens my holidays like buying more Microsoft products and burying Sony.

Yeah.You should buy some kinects and take a dump on them.It will add to your collection.
#43 Posted by JohnnyCageMK (4340 posts) -

Absolutely. You should get the Halo 4 bundle. Its a great deal.

#44 Posted by locopatho (20418 posts) -
Call MS, they fix it for free.
#45 Posted by Heil68 (45691 posts) -
considering 60%+ of exclusives over the last 2 years are for Kinect(lol), you probably wont miss it.
#46 Posted by JohnnyCageMK (4340 posts) -

considering 60%+ of exclusives over the last 2 years are for Kinect(lol), you probably wont miss it. Heil68

If he likes playing online he'll miss it.

#47 Posted by PlazmaClone (249 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"]considering 60%+ of exclusives over the last 2 years are for Kinect(lol), you probably wont miss it. JohnnyCageMK

Lol 2 butthurt cows arguing with each other :lol:
#48 Posted by Heil68 (45691 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heil68"]considering 60%+ of exclusives over the last 2 years are for Kinect(lol), you probably wont miss it. JohnnyCageMK

I can see where you would want to co-op some Star Wars Kinect(lol) or maybe a rousing session of Dance Central 3 but I don't seem to need the 360 to fulfill my online gaming needs. *shrug*
#49 Posted by PressXtoJump (1493 posts) -
[QUOTE="PressXtoJump"]so pretty much divide microsoft sales by 4 :lol:delta3074

proof?
#50 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -

if he actually LIKES playing online, he'd convert to master race. /thread jk anyways, TC, just replace it, unless you have other methods of video game entertainment