My friend's 360 got hit by the Red Ring of Death

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts

I didn't really consider this to be a major issue up until now. I don't know how you guys put up with it.

Anyway, I told him he should just get a refund and upgrade his PC or something (I really don't think he's a PS3 kind of guy.)

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts

how did people put up with DRE on the ps2?

the game library made it all worth it. this is the same reason why the 360 is so successful despite rrod.

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Eyezonmii
Member since 2008 • 2145 Posts

how did people put up with DRE on the ps2?

the game library made it all worth it. this is the same reason why the 360 is so successful despite rrod.

mephisto_11

thing is, the RROD is a much more SERIOUS problem and the worse hardware defect to ever hit a console in history. Was it worth it, to get the foot in the door before sony? sure was, MS need to fix it asap, almost 3 years later and it's still here.

but the problem has decreased.

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts

I dunno, the main things he played on his 360 are on the PC though, and can be better on that platform.

It wasn't exactly the same story for the PS2.

godofwar2610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 godofwar2610
Member since 2008 • 577 Posts
I had my ps2 (first model) for 7 years and it had absolutely no problems, RROD is an issue but you shouldnt let it stop you from getting a 360, btw i dont have one.
woobabooba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 woobabooba
Member since 2008 • 1251 Posts
lol i bet this dude's 360's a dustball inside.
No_Quoter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 No_Quoter
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts

After the secound time my 360 broke down with the RROD I told my self that if it happens again Im just going to get it fixed and then sell it simple as, im not going suffer because Im one of those gamers that doesn't suffer from heavy nostolgia and replay's each game every once and a while.

I can't play or watch something more than two or three times at most, even then the gap between playing/watching is rather long e.g 6-7 months. Plus there is no game on the thing that I would ever want to play more than once and all my multiplayer time is my PC.

Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
My friend just got his PS3 back from service yesterday. It bricked 3 weeks ago.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

I didn't really consider this to be a major issue up until now. I don't know how you guys put up with it.

Anyway, I told him he should just get a refund and upgrade his PC or something (I really don't think he's a PS3 kind of guy.)

mstc_Q

Pics or it didn't happen! Seriously though, who cares anymore?

Just buy a PC, don't tell us about your mates RROD because no one gives a hoot.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
I find that people are too stupid to even own a console. Most cases are probably those people whom turn off their system during an update or something of the sort, and mess up their harddrive, sadly.
Avatar image for Sony-tha-champ0
Sony-tha-champ0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#11 Sony-tha-champ0
Member since 2008 • 3569 Posts

Hm......Some ppl say "RROD is not a n issue anymoar"

well..who said that?

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
that sux for your friend but it happens way too often infact
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts

well..who said that?

Sony-tha-champ0
Maybe because hes got an older model:|
Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Al3x_n90
Member since 2007 • 2561 Posts
[QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"]

well..who said that?

FirstDiscovery

Oh and how come i haven't heard of the RROD issue being reduced:? they implemented the jasper chip didn't they? well where is the result?

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"]

well..who said that?

Al3x_n90

Oh and how come i haven't heard of the RROD issue being reduced:? they implemented the jasper chip didn't they? well where is the result?

The result is that since Falcon the issue has been gone:|
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

the RROD is just as bad today as it was a year ago. Not as bad as it was at launch, but still terrible. True, the 360 has some great games, but it is hardware garbage as far as I am concerned. What's that, you think the RROD has been solved?? Head over to the 360 forum and check out the MOST POPULAR thread - its the infamous "Broken 360 thread Vol 2"

The PS2 DRE issue? Don't make me laugh, that was so small in comparison to the RROD.

The fact is, all 360's are very likely to break. unlike the megadrive and other earlier consoles, you wont see many 360's on e-bay in 10 years, simply because none will still be working. total trash if you ask me.

Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Al3x_n90
[QUOTE="Al3x_n90"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"]

well..who said that?

FirstDiscovery

Fanboyish much? then why did my falcon 360 got the rrod? ?...twice:evil:

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Al3x_n90"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"]

well..who said that?

Al3x_n90

Fanboyish much? then why did my falcon 360 brake ?...twice:evil:

Really, Falcon motherboard?

Either way, if what you say is true, then its the first time ive heard anyone with a Falcon suffer. I still feel Falcon solved the issue and considering Jasper gets to the very heart of the problem, i say its truly over

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts

Just sent in my 3rd 360...I will be on #4 as soon as it gets back. They are horriblely made and I have said that from launch. I CANT get out from under the 360 as I have too many games, controlers, LIVE and time in and I wont come out with enough to buy a PS3.

So im stuck this gen. BUT next gen will be different. I will NOT go with MS even though they are fixing my 360 for free after the warranty was up.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thetruespin
[QUOTE="Al3x_n90"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Al3x_n90"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"]

well..who said that?

FirstDiscovery

Either way, if what you say is true, then its the first time ive heard anyone with a Falcon suffer. I still feel Falcon solved the issue and considering Jasper gets to the very heart of the problem, i say its truly over

LOL... do you by any chance live under a rock!!! LOL

Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Al3x_n90
[QUOTE="Al3x_n90"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Al3x_n90"][QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Sony-tha-champ0"]

well..who said that?

FirstDiscovery

Yeha really, a falcon motherboard

Dude, think of it, why the heck would they even bother with the jasper chip if the falcon had already resolved the problem? And believe me, if the problem would have been over, cases like this one and mine wouldn't have happened.

And there would have been news all over the internet, oh and if you want proof

that's also what happened to me :(

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
People put up with it because of the 3 year warranty. If the warranty didn't exist, I may have given up on the 360, seeing as I've had RROD 3 times.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

The thing is, people say they need to fix it by now as if they can magically release a patch. I'm sure brand new 360s at this stage are RROD free, but if you bought one any earlier than last summer you likely got the defected hardware, and it's likely going to break.

We know it's an issue, yet people continue to complain like it's a new thing every time they get an RROD.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thetruespin

The thing is, people say they need to fix it by now as if they can magically release a patch. I'm sure brand new 360s at this stage are RROD free, but if you bought one any earlier than last summer you likely got the defected hardware, and it's likely going to break.

We know it's an issue, yet people continue to complain like it's a new thing every time they get an RROD.

Ninja-Hippo

I also thought my new 360 was RROD free - this was in march of this year. 2 months later and it was dead.

Swapped to PS3, never looked back. these threads just make me laugh.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FirstDiscovery

Dude, think of it, why the heck would they even bother with the jasper chip if the falcon had already resolved the problem? And believe me, if the problem would have been over, cases like this one and mine wouldn't have happened.

Al3x_n90

Im not calling you a liar, but are you sure your console is a Falcon? Who knows you might just be unlucky, but the systems are MUCH better, heck they only consume HALF the power

As for die shrinkages, its more to do with cost-cutting and yes reducing heat as well, they already have a CP/GPU chip in the works that will not only cut costs further but also lead to a slimmer console. Its the reason why MS have stayed competetive on the price front.

Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Al3x_n90
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

thetruespin

I also thought my new 360 was RROD free - this was in march of this year. 2 months later and it was dead.

I never had problems with my ps3:| i was even so unlucky that the power got cut when i was upgrading to firmware 2.3(i think that was the bricking one) and it didn't brick :P

But my 360 suddenly got the RROD while i was playing forza, damn you poorly manufactured m$ hardware!!!! oh and i was winning the race :(

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

thetruespin

Mine is manufactured in late 06, has given me no problems whatsoever, crashes EXTREMELY rarely (like once in a few months or something) when playing XBOX games.

Oh well, when i sent it in for a drive issue, they decided to give me a new mobo and possibly even a heatsink. Heck it would be killer if they gave me a new CPU too!

Al3x_n90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Al3x_n90
[QUOTE="Al3x_n90"]

FirstDiscovery

Im not calling you a liar, but are you sure your console is a Falcon? Who knows you might just be unlucky, but the systems are MUCH better, heck they only consume HALF the power

As for die shrinkages, its more to do with cost-cutting and yes reducing heat as well, they already have a CP/GPU chip in the works that will not only cut costs further but also lead to a slimmer console. Its the reason why MS have stayed competetive on the price front.

I gave you that damn link and proved to you that falcons DO get RROD, and no man damn it i'm not lieng(dough i wish i was)

Anyways if my 360 RROD's on me again i'll burn it :)

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

thetruespin

Jasper gets rid of the very problem, RROD has been finally 100% solved
wiwahib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wiwahib
Member since 2004 • 404 Posts

lol i bet this dude's 360's a dustball inside.woobabooba

This could be true. I was getting intermittant disk read errors on my 360 (bought May 2006) a couple of weeks back.. I cleaned out the inside and it turned out to be hairy like a wookie. There was a rod in the DVD drive that had was wrapped in dust bunnies, but after a good swabbing the problem hasn't returned.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FirstDiscovery

[QUOTE="woobabooba"]lol i bet this dude's 360's a dustball inside.wiwahib

This could be true. I was getting intermittant disk read errors on my 360 (bought May 2006) a couple of weeks back.. I cleaned out the inside and it turned out to be hairy like a wookie. There was a rod in the DVD drive that had was wrapped in dust bunnies, but after a good swabbing the problem hasn't returned.

How did you clean it, did you have to open it?

Also, is vacuuming it a good idea or is it going to worsen it?

wiwahib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wiwahib
Member since 2004 • 404 Posts
[QUOTE="wiwahib"]

[QUOTE="woobabooba"]lol i bet this dude's 360's a dustball inside.FirstDiscovery

I used compressed air, qtips and alcohol (No vaccuuming). I did have to open it though, but I figured it wasn't covered under the RROD warranty and my extended warranty had run out. But on the bright side I feel a lot more confortable with the innards of the xbox.

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="Al3x_n90"]

Al3x_n90

I gave you that damn link and proved to you that falcons DO get RROD, and no man damn it i'm not lieng(dough i wish i was)

Anyways if my 360 RROD's on me again i'll burn it :)

There are no widespread reports, this could one in however million. I do however accept that the Xenon models are all ticking bombs
Miss_Wacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Miss_Wacy
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts
someone i no on msn had a cooler running elite and that bricked
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FirstDiscovery
[QUOTE="FirstDiscovery"][QUOTE="wiwahib"]

[QUOTE="woobabooba"]lol i bet this dude's 360's a dustball inside.wiwahib

I used compressed air, qtips and alcohol (No vaccuuming). I did have to open it though, but I figured it wasn't covered under the RROD warranty and my extended warranty had run out. But on the bright side I feel a lot more confortable with the innards of the xbox.

Hmm okay, yeah i heard compressed air from the outside will only make the dust clog up and yes, worse.
kbkb221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kbkb221
Member since 2008 • 508 Posts
where or how do you get the RROD?.. what happen when that hapens?..