My E3 opinion: 360 beat PS3, but Sony beat Microsoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Considering the fact that all of Microsoft's resources are directed towards the 360, while maybe only a half of Sony's resources are directed towards the PS3 (the rest going to PS2 and PSP), it's easy to see why the 360 definitely won compared to the PS3 at E3. However, throwing the PSP and PS2 into the equation tip the formula in Sony's direction without a doubt.

The number of blockbuster announcements regarding games (exclusive or not) were equal for the PS3 and 360. The quality is obviously subjective, but there's plenty to love on both sides. However, I think the potential of Project NATAL surpasses the potential of Sony motion controls project for the PS3, although both were exceedingly impressive. In the end, the 360 with it's Project NATAL takes the cake in the console war.

Now regarding the brand battle, (or whatever you want to call it), Sony unquestionably gets the edge with the PSP Go (even though it was leaked) and with the beefed up list of PSP games announced andset to release in 2009 and beyond.

What are your takes on Sony vs Microsoft and 360 vs PS3 at E3?

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Wow, this got pushed to the second page in less than a minute!!

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
The motion controls those guys created were pretty sweet. Did you see the presentation of the undead looking soldiers walking towards him while he shot the bow n arrows? That was actually interesting and looked great. I mean just imagine the possibilities now developers have and how acurate it was. Hopefully will see some games featured on it in the next couple of months.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I can see it that way but I don't really care for handheld games so still MS won for me.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
I actually see it the other way around... I think Microsoft had the better press conference. But Sony's content was far better. The PS3's lineup looked far stronger. And I think their motion control ultimately has more potential, unless Microsoft makes Natal compatible with an actual controller. The voice recognition of Natal is awesome though... and like Lionhead's demo showed, that could have awesome potential in games. Still... Microsoft is making Sony's mistake in giving a lot of potential to look forward to instead of actual content for us now or in the near future. With Alan Wake not coming until 2010, I felt Microsoft really only gave us 2-3 things to look forward to this year...
staley6565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 staley6565
Member since 2003 • 418 Posts

yeah ODST is the only thing I really want out of 360 2009...and seeing how dissapointing every casual motion control game is, I'm not too stoked...

I think PS3's motion control seemed a lot more precise looking for something like an FPS, where Natal seemed like something casuals and group games would get in to. I thought the Wiimote was cool as hell when I first saw it though and I never play my Wii so who knows, both could be a fail and a half when it comes to hardcorez...

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
[QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]

Considering the fact that all of Microsoft's resources are directed towards the 360, while maybe only a half of Sony's resources are directed towards the PS3 (the rest going to PS2 and PSP), it's easy to see why the 360 definitely won compared to the PS3 at E3. However, throwing the PSP and PS2 into the equation tip the formula in Sony's direction without a doubt.

The number of blockbuster announcements regarding games (exclusive or not) were equal for the PS3 and 360. The quality is obviously subjective, but there's plenty to love on both sides. However, I think the potential of Project NATAL surpasses the potential of Sony motion controls project for the PS3, although both were exceedingly impressive. In the end, the 360 with it's Project NATAL takes the cake in the console war.

Now regarding the brand battle, (or whatever you want to call it), Sony unquestionably gets the edge with the PSP Go (even though it was leaked) and with the beefed up list of PSP games announced andset to release in 2009 and beyond.

So Forza 3, Halo odst, Halo Reach and Splinter Cell, beat U2, MAG, GOWIII, Heavy Rain, GT5, The Guardian? Man Sony showed off like 2 or 3 times the exclusives that MS showed off.
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I was much more impressed by Sony's conference than I was with Microsofts

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Yeah I think 360 got some great 360/PC exclusives, PS3 didn't get anything really, silly motion controls and FF14, which will come out on PS4. PSP though got a lot of cool stuff, made me think about wanting one again now.
needagoodname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 needagoodname
Member since 2007 • 1361 Posts

I agree with TC.

I have an Xbox, and I'm thrilled for L4D2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Halo:ODST, Halo: Reach, Crackdown 2 (didn't see that coming but loved it) and MGS Rising. I'm not huge on racing games so Forza is meh to me. Everything else though looks epic.

I want to see more from Natal and the PS3 motion sensing (does it have a name yet?) before I declare a winner. Though I will say the vid for Natal used trickier camera angles so you couldn't entirely tell the accuracy/delay. So who knows.

PSP Go looks great. I had sold my PSP because the only games that came out in like the past year were Resistance and Patapon, but MGS, Res Evil, GT5 and LBP Portable all could be huge. I'd have liked a second analog stick, and the cost could be better, but I'm impressed.

As for Sony, FFVII on PSN will sell like crack-flavored hotcakes. Also, color me excited for GoW 3, MAG, and Agent.

So to summarize, I love my 360 and think Microsoft had a tremendous showing. That being said, I wouldn't rule out buying a PSP Go or a PS3 for some of the things that Sony had up their sleeve.

dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts
[QUOTE="GreyFoXX4"][QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]

So Forza 3, Halo odst, Halo Reach and Splinter Cell, beat U2, MAG, GOWIII, Heavy Rain, GT5, The Guardian? Man Sony showed off like 2 or 3 times the exclusives that MS showed off.

Yes, a line up of games coming out in 2009 beats a line up of 2 2009 and the rest 2010 game.
GameHog9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GameHog9
Member since 2008 • 1052 Posts

Sony had a great conference.

LOTS of exclusives... definately getting MAG, U2, the already realease InFamous, FFXIV (why not?), and that new motion controller. Imagine Shadow of the Colossus with that beauty 0.0

I dont have a 360, so the Microsoft conference didnt really mean much to me, apart from the MGS: Rising anouncement, sinc its also coming out on PS3. I think Natal is awesome, but I think id prefer the Sony controller because it looks more designed for the hardcore, and in the youtube videos it *looks* (could be wrong) like the Sony controller is a bit more accurate. Id love to paint with Natal :)

simslifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 simslifer
Member since 2009 • 1844 Posts
Yeah I think 360 got some great 360/PC exclusives, PS3 didn't get anything really, silly motion controls and FF14, which will come out on PS4. PSP though got a lot of cool stuff, made me think about wanting one again now.bobbetybob
the only 360 pc exclusive we didn't know about was left4dead 2 thats it
GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts

[QUOTE="GreyFoXX4"][QUOTE="abdelmessih101"]

dreman999

Yes, a line up of games coming out in 2009 beats a line up of 2 2009 and the rest 2010 game.

Was there a date put on Crackdown? So I guess yall get Forza 3, Halo:odst, Splinter cell for the year, and we will have gotten KZ2, Infamous, MAG, U2.

Oh yea forgot to mention The Agent also for the ps3 by RockStar frommy list earlier:)

Shattered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Shattered007
Member since 2007 • 3139 Posts
The motion controls those guys created were pretty sweet. Did you see the presentation of the undead looking soldiers walking towards him while he shot the bow n arrows? That was actually interesting and looked great. I mean just imagine the possibilities now developers have and how acurate it was. Hopefully will see some games featured on it in the next couple of months.Nocturnal_Speed
Waits for Gif pic of PS3 guy wagging around a wand
Shattered007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Shattered007
Member since 2007 • 3139 Posts
[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="GreyFoXX4"] So Forza 3, Halo odst, Halo Reach and Splinter Cell, beat U2, MAG, GOWIII, Heavy Rain, GT5, The Guardian? Man Sony showed off like 2 or 3 times the exclusives that MS showed off.GreyFoXX4

Was there a date put on Crackdown? So I guess yall get Forza 3, Halo:odst, Splinter cell for the year, and we will have gotten KZ2, Infamous, MAG, U2. Oh yea forgot to mention The Agent also for the ps3 by RockStar :)

So, you'll include games already released in 2009 for the PS3 but not the 360? Silly fanboy! Tricks are for kids!
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Yeah I think 360 got some great 360/PC exclusives, PS3 didn't get anything really, silly motion controls and FF14, which will come out on PS4. PSP though got a lot of cool stuff, made me think about wanting one again now.simslifer

and splinter cell conviction?
double-r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 double-r
Member since 2004 • 398 Posts

i liked both. that racer has potential but wont surpass mario kart

what new exclusive ips did MS show since i missed most of their conference

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts

i liked both. that racer has potential but wont surpass mario kart

what new exclusive ips did MS show since i missed most of their conference

double-r
a new shooter side scroller pointless thing from Epic, but that was for Xbox live arcade
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

Both Sony and MS did a great E3 , even made me wanna buy a 360 , problem is I don't wanna share my attention console wise , I just can't:P

simslifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 simslifer
Member since 2009 • 1844 Posts
[QUOTE="simslifer"][QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Yeah I think 360 got some great 360/PC exclusives, PS3 didn't get anything really, silly motion controls and FF14, which will come out on PS4. PSP though got a lot of cool stuff, made me think about wanting one again now.AgentA-Mi6

and splinter cell conviction?

we already knew about that game
NYrockinlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 NYrockinlegend
Member since 2008 • 2025 Posts
I agree, to some degree. Although Nintendo beats both in quantity of upcoming games. The PS3 games look great, but there were no surprises at all. I felt MS did a bit better on their conference showing off the motion camera and all(did Sony trash their motion control ideas?), even if it looks ridiculous:D. And even Milo(its potential looks great, speaking to a character named Milo does not:P). I don't really think any of the conferences were groundbreaking, not Nintendo's, not MS's, and not Sony's. IMO, though, MS did a little better than the rest on theirs. They announced a few games that were hardly known, if at all.